How is this even possible?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

xx984 #1 Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 54851 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN

Never seen anything like this, can anyone explain? 

Did upload the video but if anyone would rather the actual replay; http://wotreplays.eu...fv4005_stage_ii

Edited by xx984, 26 July 2018 - 06:23 PM.

UrQuan #2 Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19430 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I watched the replay & what saved you was actually the HEAT shell: HEAT does NOT overmatch. Means, no matter how thin the armor is, once it strikes at autobounce angle it bounces.(which happened, as the impact was very shallow). Edit: HEAT autobounce is 85 degrees.

If he fired AP, it would have gone through, due to overmatch rules. If he fired HE, it wouldn't have penned (no pen adjust on impact) but it would still have caused damage by exploding HE shell on thin armor.

In short; you got lucky, his shell glanced of your thin side armor & because HEAT does not do overmatch, it bounced off.

Stuff like above is why HEAT can sometimes fail so spectacularly on thin(angled) armor.

Edited by UrQuan, 26 July 2018 - 09:18 PM.

xx984 #3 Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:37 PM

Major

• Player
  • 54851 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN

View PostUrQuan, on 26 July 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

I watched the replay & what saved you was actually the HEAT shell: HEAT does NOT overmatch. Means, no matter how thin the armor is, once it strikes at autobounce angle it bounces.(which happened, as the impact was very shallow)

If he fired AP, it would have gone through, due to overmatch rules. If he fired HE, it wouldn't have penned (no pen adjust on impact) but it would still have caused damage by exploding He shell on thin armor.

In short; you got lucky, his shell glanced of your thin side armor & because HEAT does not do overmatch, it bounced off.

Stuff like above is why HEAT can sometimes fail so spectacularly on thin(angled) armor.

Does tanks.gg not take this into account then? I thought the same but once checked tanks.gg was still saying it would pen, comparing to e100 firing HEAT as you can see down the bottom 

UrQuan #4 Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19430 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postxx984, on 26 July 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

Does tanks.gg not take this into account then? I thought the same but once checked tanks.gg was still saying it would pen, comparing to e100 firing HEAT as you can see down the bottom 

I rewatched the replay & doublechecked what happened to the shell; It bounced off: so it struck the autobounce angle. And looking at the replay, it still seems 85 degrees. Site seems wrong thinking it to be at 88 degrees (would be a near flat-on hit). Tried alot of angles between 83 & 89 degrees & on the site, I only get the 'bounce' notification at 88 degrees.

Fun note, at 87.6 degrees, if autobounce wasn't a thing, the HEAT shell would still have a high chance to fail to pen (but then it wouldn't bounce off) as by then the armor value exceeds the E-100 average HEAT pen value

Edit:

Attached pic: HEAT shell on a free ride away from the FV4005: Time replay to 11:20 & then slow it down to see the bounce (best seen when you actually look behind the FV4005)

Oh and a last edit: THANK YOU for providing a replay. I love finding out what causes weird stuff like this. Also, nice game, love it when a TD like yours doesn't snipe but is actually being very useful as second line support for the HT's!

Edited by UrQuan, 26 July 2018 - 09:20 PM.

Enforcer1975 #5 Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
As mentioned above...HEAT at an extreme angle. That's why it's not always wise to tap the 2 key. 

AliceUnchained #6 Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:27 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostUrQuan, on 26 July 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

I watched the replay & what saved you was actually the HEAT shell: HEAT does NOT overmatch. Means, no matter how thin the armor is, once it strikes at autobounce angle it bounces.(which happened, as the impact was very shallow). Edit: HEAT autobounce is 85 degrees.

If he fired AP, it would have gone through, due to overmatch rules. If he fired HE, it wouldn't have penned (no pen adjust on impact) but it would still have caused damage by exploding HE shell on thin armor.

Best answer you'll find.

View PostUrQuan, on 26 July 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

Oh and a last edit: THANK YOU for providing a replay. I love finding out what causes weird stuff like this. Also, nice game, love it when a TD like yours doesn't snipe but is actually being very useful as second line support for the HT's!

Same here. OP here desperately reversing in hopes of avoiding that angry E-100, only to bounce the (almost guaranteed) HEAT round, then pushing forward with the E-100 then desperately reversing trying to get back in cover (almost like a tango here) is added comedy :D

For situations like this, replays are always the best source material.

xx984 #7 Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Major

• Player
  • 54851 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN

View PostUrQuan, on 26 July 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

I rewatched the replay & doublechecked what happened to the shell; It bounced off: so it struck the autobounce angle. And looking at the replay, it still seems 85 degrees. Site seems wrong thinking it to be at 88 degrees (would be a near flat-on hit). Tried alot of angles between 83 & 89 degrees & on the site, I only get the 'bounce' notification at 88 degrees.

Fun note, at 87.6 degrees, if autobounce wasn't a thing, the HEAT shell would still have a high chance to fail to pen (but then it wouldn't bounce off) as by then the armor value exceeds the E-100 average HEAT pen value

Edit:

Attached pic: HEAT shell on a free ride away from the FV4005: Time replay to 11:20 & then slow it down to see the bounce (best seen when you actually look behind the FV4005)

Thanks :) how I like to play my fv4005, never liked sniping in it, gun too unreliable and even though you are paper you still have the fear factor which usually stops people yoloing, as long as you have support after you fire :P

Enforcer1975 #8 Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postxx984, on 27 July 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

Thanks :) how I like to play my fv4005, never liked sniping in it, gun too unreliable and even though you are paper you still have the fear factor which usually stops people yoloing, as long as you have support after you fire :P

That's how i play mine too as often as possible.

Nothing is better than a surprise FV4005 to the face or being in a position where you are least expected. :arta: :trollface:

xx984 #9 Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 54851 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN

View PostEnforcer1975, on 27 July 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

That's how i play mine too as often as possible.

Nothing is better than a surprise FV4005 to the face or being in a position where you are least expected. :arta: :trollface:

the best part is you can see when they notice you and get surprised because they wiggle abit and start to turn, i like to leave it a little bit sometimes so they think they might have a chance and get them at the last second :D

Andrasan89 #10 Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6755 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 26 July 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

As mentioned above...HEAT at an extreme angle. That's why it's not always wise to tap the 2 key. 

1 in a million shots and this because RNG not because E100 aimed here ! :facepalm:

just stop....P2W dominates and thats all ! 

press 2 and GET CHANCES TO WIN !!

RNG still have something so say about this but MUCH LESS IF YOU PAY MORE !!

:facepalm:

BonjiOrongji #11 Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40815 battles
  • [RMBLE] RMBLE

View Postxx984, on 27 July 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

the best part is you can see when they notice you and get surprised because they wiggle abit and start to turn, i like to leave it a little bit sometimes so they think they might have a chance and get them at the last second :D

now you are just beeing cruel :(  ... did you mom never told you not to play with your food ?

Edited by BonjiOrongji, 28 July 2018 - 02:19 AM.

Chickenbroncitis #12 Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:15 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4961 battles
  • [VVLSC] VVLSC
magic

axell92108 #13 Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:09 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3075 battles
  • [DHMC] DHMC
Today on WoT RNG.....Who will win, an angled wet paper armor boi or some very high penetration gun shell? 

xx984 #14 Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:06 AM

Major

• Player
  • 54851 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN

View PostBonjiOrongji, on 28 July 2018 - 01:13 AM, said:

now you are just beeing cruel :(  ... did you mom never told you not to play with your food ?

If you don't tease your victims its not as fun :playing:

AliceUnchained #15 Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:11 AM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostAndrasan89, on 28 July 2018 - 12:11 AM, said:

1 in a million shots and this because RNG not because E100 aimed here ! 

just stop....P2W dominates and thats all ! 

press 2 and GET CHANCES TO WIN !!

RNG still have something so say about this but MUCH LESS IF YOU PAY MORE !!

Surely you are aware of the sheer and utter stupidity in this post of yours? Normally I'd ask if the numbers in the name are your IQ, but definitely seems too high for that.

- You are aware it was actually a HEAT round which bounced? In other words, that E-100 had pressed '2' before. Also wasn't the first HEAT round that E-100 fired, nor the last.

- See that awesome move by the E-100 driving out almost sideways in front of the FV? That's bad players right there, usually the ones to then come to forum crying about 'gold ammo' and how it 'makes armor useless'.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #16 Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29170 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 28 July 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

Surely you are aware of the sheer and utter stupidity in this post of yours? 

Nope, not even close.

Strappster #17 Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

General

• Player
  • 23893 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostAliceUnchained, on 28 July 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

Surely you are aware of the sheer and utter stupidity in this post of yours?

I can't believe that Alice sold his account. That's the only plausible explanation for this question being asked about a weekend WoT post on gold ammo. :unsure:

Andrasan89 #18 Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6755 battles

View PostAliceUnchained, on 28 July 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

Surely you are aware of the sheer and utter stupidity in this post of yours? Normally I'd ask if the numbers in the name are your IQ, but definitely seems too high for that.

- You are aware it was actually a HEAT round which bounced? In other words, that E-100 had pressed '2' before. Also wasn't the first HEAT round that E-100 fired, nor the last.

- See that awesome move by the E-100 driving out almost sideways in front of the FV? That's bad players right there, usually the ones to then come to forum crying about 'gold ammo' and how it 'makes armor useless'.

said one of the biggest troglodyte from here who still think that p2w ammo is good, balanced and protect his precious "skill" factor in this game. Even after WG finally admited that needs a change and announced that they will rebalance it.

And after that he is asking for IQ and things what he cant handle...:D

did you even read what i wrote above??

yes genius, was a HEAT and HEAT bounce at 85 degrees or more and the only reason why this E100 bounced was because RNG guided that shell on this angle from FV turret, NOT because he aimed here. So like i said, 1 in a million shots due to RNG, nothing more. 

Of course that he already had HEAT loaded because he was "prepared" for other targets (for armor)..andwhat you do when you meet armor in WOT?? Press 2 !! If another target come, theres no problem..but you "must be prepared". Understand now??

Whats the point of that E100 skills in that topic?? :facepalm:

Anyway, yes, was not a smart move to push alone into enemy side and he was punished for this - so no problems. But if you look at score..at 6-0 he probably just wanted more damage. Because damage is damage !

Again, you involve things what have nothig to do with the subject...like on many other posts...i know you from other topics...but i abstained from posting to you...untill now.

Edited by Andrasan89, 28 July 2018 - 12:41 PM.

AliceUnchained #19 Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostStrappster, on 28 July 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

I can't believe that Alice sold his account. That's the only plausible explanation for this question being asked about a weekend WoT post on gold ammo. :unsure:

Well for obvious reasons the real Alice cannot respond, but he sends his regards from a lovely pearly white sand beach overlooking an azure blue ocean while sipping some of the best gin (mixed with premium tonic of course). All made possible by e-Bay :great:

View PostAndrasan89, on 28 July 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

said one of the biggest troglodyte from here who still think that p2w ammo is good, balanced and protect his precious "skill" factor in this game. Even after WG finally admited that needs a change and announced that they will rebalance it.

And after that he is asking for IQ and things what he cant handle...

did you even read what i wrote above??

yes genius, was a HEAT and HEAT bounce at 85 degrees or more and the only reason why this E100 bounced was because RNG guided that shell on this angle from FV turret, NOT because he aimed here. So like i said, 1 in a million shots due to RNG, nothing more. 

Of course that he already had HEAT loaded because he was "prepared" for other targets (for armor)..andwhat you do when you meet armor in WOT?? Press 2 !! If another target come, theres no problem..but you "must be prepared". Understand now??

Quite the amusing little rant you got here. If you actually did some basic reading on posts of mine regarding premium ammo, you'd know my take on it and also would realize that the utter nonsense you have written here is nowhere near it.

Beyond that you were blabbering about P2W and 'pressing 2' when in fact that E-100 failed exactly because of 'pressing 2'. You see genius, had that E-100 player loaded standard AP, or even HE, that ricochet would not have happened even with RNG 'guiding' the shot. So what exactly did that situation have to do with P2W and 'pressing 2'? Or was that actually some snide comment direct at xx984 (or high rating players in general)?

So based on the above incoherent and rather disconnected garbage vomiting from your side, I do still question your ability for basic reasoning and logic. In other words, I sincerely doubt your IQ is anywhere near 89.

Edited by AliceUnchained, 28 July 2018 - 12:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users