Ranked Battle Pre-Season Qualifiers [Suggestion]

Ranked

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Pre-Season Qualifiers (28 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you agree with this suggestion?

1. Yes (4 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. No (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. IT'S DISCRIMINATION (3 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

4. REMOVE ARTY FROM RANKED (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Hide poll

Tankyouverymuch2 #1 Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29679 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

I'm sure anyone playing Ranked right now has noticed, getting out of the lower ranks is not so easy. In my case, tonight, I've only lost a chevron ~3 times, retained them most of the time and even received one on a loss. I've been almost exclusively receiving 2 chevrons on every win. Winrate is roughly 50%, and I'm steadily moving up the ranks, so there's not much to complain about, right?

Wrong.

Useless teammates are the main issue: blocking your reversing path after you've taken a shot, clustering into one spot on the map, getting flanked and getting slaughtered - going alone to an emtpy flank is already suicide so join 'em if you can't beat 'em :facepalm:...the list goes on - tunnelvision, not assisting in a group effort to win a flank, etc. It is extremely frustrating to say the least. Yes the least. :sceptic:

I've only met one supportive player and I felt like there may be some hope after all: a Type 5 Heavy of all things, was by my side and we were taking turns pumping shots into the enemies around a corner. While I was reloading and the enemy came 'round to shoot me, the Type drove infront of me to protect me from enemy fire. What a legend. :medal: Needless to say, us two managed to win the flank against 4 enemy tanks, WP GG, even though we lost in the end since everyone else on our team went to the other flank and got slaughtered...

Suggestion:

So obviously the tomatoes are mixed with the unicorns...but what if Ranked Battle seasons included pre-season qualifiers, much like in football? To attempt to make the actual Ranked Battle season a less frustrating losing streak of agony and grinding just to not lose a chevron. Edit: What I mean is, leave the worse players out of what is probably the most competitive mode with large rewards in WoT outside of CW.

I added a few extras in the poll because I know what you guys are like. :trollface:

Edited by Tankyouverymuch2, 26 July 2018 - 11:13 PM.

WindSplitter1 #2 Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:15 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 15469 battles
Inb4 remove arty posts because skill but using gold ammo

Edited by WindSplitter1, 26 July 2018 - 11:16 PM.

Kurat666 #3 Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28998 battles
  • [BB4] BB4
just get that rank 15 ASAP - before BOTs have clicked/spammed their way to higher ranks. It is not too hard to retain a chevron - if u lost one chevron, its mostly not your teams fault...   

Tankyouverymuch2 #4 Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29679 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostKurat666, on 26 July 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

just get that rank 15 ASAP - before BOTs have clicked/spammed their way to higher ranks. It is not too hard to retain a chevron - if u lost one chevron, its mostly not your teams fault...   

Well I wanted to start playing as soon as it started but my mom asked me to go shoe shopping with her so I had to help her out. :D

Losing a chevron, correct, it's mostly not the team's fault. Emphasis on mostly, which is why I managed to retain most of them. Everyone can have a bad game or two. Or three... :hiding:

Homer_J #5 Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Isn't the idea that the good players will rise through the ranks and the bad ones stay at the bottom?

If so then consider the first few days to be the qualifier rounds which you are asking for.

If not, is it really ranked or just another grind mode?

Edited by Homer_J, 27 July 2018 - 05:08 AM.

250swb #6 Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'm against the OP's idea that WG should fix it for him to win more often.

Tankyouverymuch2 #7 Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29679 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Post250swb, on 27 July 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

I'm against the OP's idea that WG should fix it for him to win more often.

Do I not deserve being rewarded appropriately for my abilities? :sceptic: Well, this way it would be a bit more balanced to start off, but I'll get up the ranks anyway. :D

LordMuffin #8 Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48074 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostHomer_J, on 27 July 2018 - 05:08 AM, said:

Isn't the idea that the good players will rise through the ranks and the bad ones stay at the bottom?

If so then consider the first few days to be the qualifier rounds which you are asking for.

Not really.

Qualifier rounds would not include chevrons.

It would also have a significant impact on which rank you would get qualified to.

Say that you play 10 qualifiers, if you do good personally, you get to rank 10 immediately.

If you do very well,  rank 15.

If you do bad, rank 3.

And so on.

The qualifiers are a way to try and quickly put a player to a rank comparable with his skill level in a few battles.

This will of course never happen, because ranked isn't essentially skillbased, it is a grind based mode for WG to gain money from due to the high amount of premium ammo we which require premium account/premium tank to be sustained.

Geno1isme #9 Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41469 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostLordMuffin, on 27 July 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

This will of course never happen, because ranked isn't essentially skillbased, it is a grind based mode for WG to gain money from due to the high amount of premium ammo we which require premium account/premium tank to be sustained.

This. The Chevron system (esp. the nonsense Vehicle ranks) is designed to promote battle-spam, as all you need to progress to the top is a lucky streak. And that will happen for basically everyone given enough games, the only limiting factor is time. Skill just reduces the number of battles required massively.

Last season there was a 46% player in the top 20. Simply because he had the time (and resources) to spam over 800 battles in this mode in three weeks.

Dava_117 #10 Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Major

• Player
  • 18538 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS
Apart from removing arty, another good thing to make team more workable would be adding platoon, to have someone you can rely on.

Kurat666 #11 Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28998 battles
  • [BB4] BB4

View PostHomer_J, on 27 July 2018 - 06:08 AM, said:

Rank 15 is definitely grindable…..

JocMeister #12 Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21759 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
As with all things WG does RB doesn't require any skills. Even the really shitty players will rise eventually with enough time invested. 

Tankyouverymuch2 #13 Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29679 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostDava_117, on 27 July 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Apart from removing arty, another good thing to make team more workable would be adding platoon, to have someone you can rely on.

Wouldn't exactly work with the ranking system. Both toonmates would need to earn and lose the same amount of chevrons in every battle.

Dava_117 #14 Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:40 AM

Major

• Player
  • 18538 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 27 July 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

Wouldn't exactly work with the ranking system. Both toonmates would need to earn and lose the same amount of chevrons in every battle.

Not necessarily. A toon limitation with player of your current rank could be add to prevent all the problem. So any player get the chevrons he should get.

Homer_J #15 Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLordMuffin, on 27 July 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

ranked isn't essentially skillbased, it is a grind based mode

Took your time but you eventually answered my question.

So if you had the qualifiers then all it would do is delay the grind for the less skilled players but in the end anyone willing to put the time in will be at rank 15 and you are back to square one.

What it really needs if it is going to be a skill based system is to actually prevent people simply grinding up the ranks.  But in a way which doesn't just put them off when they fail to progress.

Tankyouverymuch2 #16 Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29679 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostHomer_J, on 27 July 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

What it really needs if it is going to be a skill based system is to actually prevent people simply grinding up the ranks.  But in a way which doesn't just put them off when they fail to progress.

This.

Perhaps a rating based on per-battle performance? Average xp or average damage? Something like that. Though, I feel like the chevrons already divide players by xp in a battle...perhaps it would be redundant :amazed: I don't have a better idea at this point. Maybe some threshold that needs to be met to get the next rank, I dunno, kill count over a number of games, etc... Just spewing words out at this point, idk.

Homer_J #17 Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 27 July 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

Perhaps a rating based on per-battle performance? Average xp or average damage? Something like that.

Maybe just award less chevrons but have repeatable rewards so every time you hit rank 2 you get rank 2 rewards.

A proper ranked mode is pretty frustrating for an average player though, being constantly knocked back down the ranks because you are simply not good enough can get tiring after a while.  A proper ranked system would be pretty unpopular.

Geno1isme #18 Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41469 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostHomer_J, on 27 July 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Well, back when RB was still beta I proposed to use the average XP of the last 100 battles to determine your rank (and a lot more details/changes). Problem with that approach is that it takes a rather long time to get to "your" rank, no instant gratification after a few battles like there is with the Chevron system.

And of course promoting battle-spam is probably a key requirement for WG (only explanation for those retarded vehicle-ranks).

Kozzy #19 Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 26 July 2018 - 10:10 PM, said:

*snip*

Useless teammates are the main issue: 

Can anyone spot the logic fail here... ;)

Edited by Kozzy, 27 July 2018 - 04:29 PM.

gunslingerXXX #20 Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10681 battles

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 26 July 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

I'm sure anyone playing Ranked right now has noticed, getting out of the lower ranks is not so easy. In my case, tonight, I've only lost a chevron ~3 times, retained them most of the time and even received one on a loss. I've been almost exclusively receiving 2 chevrons on every win. Winrate is roughly 50%, and I'm steadily moving up the ranks, so there's not much to complain about, right?

Wrong.

Useless teammates are the main issue: blocking your reversing path after you've taken a shot, clustering into one spot on the map, getting flanked and getting slaughtered - going alone to an emtpy flank is already suicide so join 'em if you can't beat 'em :facepalm:...the list goes on - tunnelvision, not assisting in a group effort to win a flank, etc. It is extremely frustrating to say the least. Yes the least. :sceptic:

I've only met one supportive player and I felt like there may be some hope after all: a Type 5 Heavy of all things, was by my side and we were taking turns pumping shots into the enemies around a corner. While I was reloading and the enemy came 'round to shoot me, the Type drove infront of me to protect me from enemy fire. What a legend. :medal: Needless to say, us two managed to win the flank against 4 enemy tanks, WP GG, even though we lost in the end since everyone else on our team went to the other flank and got slaughtered...

Suggestion:

So obviously the tomatoes are mixed with the unicorns...but what if Ranked Battle seasons included pre-season qualifiers, much like in football? To attempt to make the actual Ranked Battle season a less frustrating losing streak of agony and grinding just to not lose a chevron. Edit: What I mean is, leave the worse players out of what is probably the most competitive mode with large rewards in WoT outside of CW.

I added a few extras in the poll because I know what you guys are like. :trollface:

Why should it be easy? 

Also, please allow more votes. I would like to vote "no", "discrimination" AND of course "remove arty".

Also tagged with Ranked

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users