Jump to content


Is WG opening web pages?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

TheJumpMaster #1 Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 47623 battles
  • 4,562
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

Why is WG opening a web page in my browser?

Webpage.png


Edited by TheJumpMaster, 29 July 2018 - 09:10 PM.


Jigabachi #2 Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:08 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17935 battles
  • 19,102
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011
Is it vanilla WoT or a mod?
Why would the game open a webpage like that?

jack_timber #3 Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 33467 battles
  • 2,082
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014
Virus or mod, my guess is a mod.

Mr_Burrows #4 Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 45104 battles
  • 1,963
  • Member since:
    02-17-2012

I'd guess virus in a mod. Congratz.

Sweep, clean, reinstall fresh and avoid all mods. Problem solved.  



TheJumpMaster #5 Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 47623 battles
  • 4,562
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011
I do a scan every 2 or 3 days and no virus has been found

Search_Warrant #6 Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 27201 battles
  • 6,166
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011
Again more and more fall for this... its a mod or virus you arent detecting. its using WG's in game browser and hijacking it from a virus or dodgy mod. this has happened far too many times now and WG gets blamed every time.

TheJumpMaster #7 Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 47623 battles
  • 4,562
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 29 July 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Again more and more fall for this... its a mod or virus you arent detecting. its using WG's in game browser and hijacking it from a virus or dodgy mod. this has happened far too many times now and WG gets blamed every time.

 

I'm not blaming WG, I am trying to figure out what is happening. The only mod I use is Aslain's.

Homer_J #8 Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • 30,125
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 29 July 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 29 July 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Again more and more fall for this... its a mod or virus you arent detecting. its using WG's in game browser and hijacking it from a virus or dodgy mod. this has happened far too many times now and WG gets blamed every time.

 

I'm not blaming WG, I am trying to figure out what is happening. The only mod I use is Aslain's.

Where did you get Aslains from?

 

He is aware of mods doing this and I think he would be very interested in knowing which mods you use.  But if you didn't get it from his official links then it may be someone is putting out a tampered version of the mod pack.



TheJumpMaster #9 Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 47623 battles
  • 4,562
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View PostHomer_J, on 29 July 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Where did you get Aslains from?

 

He is aware of mods doing this and I think he would be very interested in knowing which mods you use.  But if you didn't get it from his official links then it may be someone is putting out a tampered version of the mod pack.

 

From Aslain's site

 



Balc0ra #10 Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:26 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 66299 battles
  • 16,328
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 29 July 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

I do a scan every 2 or 3 days and no virus has been found

 

Run a malware scanner, not a virus scanner. You might get different results. 

 

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 29 July 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

 

I'm not blaming WG, I am trying to figure out what is happening. The only mod I use is Aslain's.

 

The last guy who had this issue used Aslains. He found a program in the modpack trying to use his browser to launch popups etc. But he did respond himself in that topic. As it turns out it was not a mod made by him. 

 

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/678652-stupid-ads-popups-in-game/page__pid__15951678#entry15951678

 

 


Edited by Balc0ra, 29 July 2018 - 08:27 PM.


AliceUnchained #11 Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 38414 battles
  • 8,928
  • [322] 322
  • Member since:
    10-18-2011

It's malware, took me a whole 5 seconds to figure that out (checking the url and Google'ing browers-tool system​). Nothing to do with Wargaming or WoT itself. Best guess: MODs.

 

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 29 July 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

 

I'm not blaming WG, I am trying to figure out what is happening. The only mod I use is Aslain's.

 

Well you were actually asking why Wargaming is opening a webpage in your browser... When of course the question should have been why WoT (seemingly) ​is doing that.

 

View Postjack_timber, on 29 July 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

Virus or mod, my guess is a mod.

 

Malware hidden in a MOD more likely. Although tons of installers these days come with all sorts of add-on crap as well which will install unless you pay attention (never ever user silent installers unless it's a 100% trusted file and download location).

 

@Jump: Get MalwareBytes. It's quick and easy to install, and has a 2 week trial for their Pro version currently.

 

Edit: Adware would be more accurate for this kind of pop-ups in browsers, but as far as I'm concerned it's malware.


Edited by AliceUnchained, 29 July 2018 - 08:31 PM.


TheJumpMaster #12 Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 47623 battles
  • 4,562
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View PostAliceUnchained, on 29 July 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

It's malware, took me a whole 5 seconds to figure that out (checking the url and Google'ing browers-tool system​). Nothing to do with Wargaming or WoT itself. Best guess: MODs.

 

 

Well you were actually asking why Wargaming is opening a webpage in your browser... When of course the question should have been why WoT (seemingly) ​is doing that.

I guess that I've worded the title incorrectly. Thank you for pointing this out. It was not my intention to blame WG

 

Malware hidden in a MOD more likely.

 

@Jump: Get MalwareBytes. It's quick and easy to install, and has a 2 week trial for their Pro version currently.

 

 

Title edited accordingly.

 

Thanks to those that helped find an answer.


 

AliceUnchained #13 Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:45 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 38414 battles
  • 8,928
  • [322] 322
  • Member since:
    10-18-2011
Tried MalwareBytes? Or any other anti-malware software?

Spartiat777 #14 Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:16 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 34447 battles
  • 1,336
  • Member since:
    01-01-2016

Check changelog of updates of your mods.

 

Example changelog: Webium ModPack - https://wgmods.net/70/

 

1.0.2.3 #00
Adaptation to micropatch
^ Updated XVM 7.7.0-dev #8520
^ Updated mod Disable Icon Mirroring
^ Updated Auxilium 19.03
- Removed file polarfox.vxSettingsApi_1.7.9.wotmod from Battle Observer = no config available in game (contains Adware)


TheJumpMaster #15 Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:07 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 47623 battles
  • 4,562
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View PostAliceUnchained, on 29 July 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

Tried MalwareBytes? Or any other anti-malware software?

 

I ran MalwareBytes, as you suggested. It didn't find anything, but has been blocking a number of sites

Homer_J #16 Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:09 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • 30,125
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 30 July 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

 

I ran MalwareBytes, as you suggested. It didn't find anything, but has been blocking a number of sites

 

Did you try uninstalling your mods?



TheJumpMaster #17 Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:42 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 47623 battles
  • 4,562
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View PostHomer_J, on 30 July 2018 - 03:09 AM, said:

 

Did you try uninstalling your mods?

 

Uninstalled. Now after all this, I will see if it happens again




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users