A question for the sages, do I need an engine?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Mike_Mckay #1 Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18733 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
Well obviously despite being so crap at the game I know I need "an" engine, I learned that weeks ago

But the 113 TOTT is about to start and the only module on the 1-4 I haven't unlocked is the top engine. I have just over 60k stored up on the tank towards the TOTT event so my question is do you get more than the obvious % increase with engines?

With turrets for example sometimes they have hidden advantages, like the armour is the same thickness or in some cases even thinner but the better design of the upgraded turret makes it better.

But this is an engine, and one that only gives a 20hp boost (600 vs 580) which short of any hidden advantages is a mere 1/29th increase in engine power, making it seem to make sense to save the XP towards unlocking the 113 and either do it once I have the 113 or even leave it till after I have also unlocked the other tier, the 10 WZ111 5A as well before moving the crew out of the tier 9

So at the moment I am leaning towards keeping the XP towards the 113 so I can unlock it with less XP per day over the month or is there some hidden reason that its worth the upgrade and then having to earn an extra 46k XP before I get the 113 unlocked?

Edited by Mike_Mckay, 30 July 2018 - 02:14 AM.

Strappster #2 Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:20 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The "best" advantage I can see on tanks.gg (other than the 20hp) is the engine hit points go from 260 to 360 with the top engine, which means it might not get knocked out as quickly. Although not getting shot in the engine very often means you probably wouldn't see that benefit so it depends how hard you like to push in your heavies.

Warzey #3 Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 56799 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

View PostStrappster, on 30 July 2018 - 01:20 AM, said:

The "best" advantage I can see on tanks.gg (other than the 20hp) is the engine hit points go from 260 to 360 with the top engine, which means it might not get knocked out as quickly. Although not getting shot in the engine very often means you probably wouldn't see that benefit so it depends how hard you like to push in your heavies.

The extra hit points might save his engine from arty, but that being said I honestly don't remember the last time somebody knocked out my engine in WZ. 

Strappster #4 Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:27 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostWarzey, on 30 July 2018 - 01:24 AM, said:

... I honestly don't remember the last time somebody knocked out my engine in WZ. 

But is that because you're using the top engine?! :ohmy:

Mike_Mckay #5 Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:03 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18733 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostStrappster, on 30 July 2018 - 01:20 AM, said:

Do those hit points increase the entire vehicles health pool or is it just a damage counter for the engine alone?

That's the kind of info that really should be included in the in game description and not something you have to go off to a 3rd party site to find

View PostStrappster, on 30 July 2018 - 01:27 AM, said:

But is that because you're using the top engine?! :ohmy:

I wondered that too lol :)

That  said though its not a tank where the engine being knocked out springs to mind, but I will playing the thing to death for the next few weeks trying to unlock both of the tier 10s which amounts to around 340k+ (0r 380+ if I get the engine) of XP, so its certainly something I'll keep an eye out for as that might make it worth earning an extra 1.5k XP per day throughout the month which might not even be a whole extra game per day most days

Edited by Mike_Mckay, 30 July 2018 - 03:10 AM.

Strappster #6 Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:50 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMike_Mckay, on 30 July 2018 - 02:03 AM, said:

Do those hit points increase the entire vehicles health pool or is it just a damage counter for the engine alone?

As I understand it, it's the engine's own health. A hit to the engine will reduce your vehicle hp as normal and then the module's health is reduced. Once you exceed the module health, it shows as damaged or knocked out. I don't know the %age for each status but I assume knocked out is when it reaches zero.

According to the wiki ...

Module and Crew Damage

As mentioned above, you can not only damage a vehicle's armour, but also its modules and crew. Armour damage and module/crew damage are distinct. That means hitting a module only affects that module, not the hitpoints of the tank, just like hitting the armour does not affect a module. However, the same shell can damage both hull armour and module(s) or crew since it travels through the tank after penetrating the hull armour.

Just like the vehicle's hull, also each of its modules and crew have hitpoints. During a battle, you only see a simplified display of the amount of hitpoints remaining on your modules and crew represented by one of three colour states in the damage panel at the bottom left of your screen. These states are:

Default (i.e. no colour shading): Enough hitpoints for module and crew to be fully operational.

Yellow: This state signifies that a module has taken considerable damage (≥50%) but is still operational. Crew members have no yellow state.

Red: This state signifies that a module is not operational/a crew member is knocked out.

... so the module health pool is definitely separate. :)

Mike_Mckay #7 Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18733 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostStrappster, on 30 July 2018 - 02:50 AM, said:

As I understand it, it's the engine's own health. A hit to the engine will reduce your vehicle hp as normal and then the module's health is reduced. Once you exceed the module health, it shows as damaged or knocked out. I don't know the %age for each status but I assume knocked out is when it reaches zero.

According to the wiki ...

... so the module health pool is definitely separate. :)

Cheers for that, if it had meant an increase in the vehicles HP then that might have been more compelling

As it stands I'll keep an eye on how often the engine gets damages and take it from there

Thanks everyone for the replies, extremely helpful

WoT_RU_Doing #8 Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 42663 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
I think one of the key things you need to consider is why you want to unlock the tier X's. If the 113 wasn't ToTT and available at a reduced credit cost, I'd perhaps be tempted to keep both WZ-111's in my garage. As such, the slightly better engine and the Elite status would be worth it. 

Homer_J #9 Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMike_Mckay, on 30 July 2018 - 03:03 AM, said:

That's the kind of info that really should be included in the in game description and not something you have to go off to a 3rd party site to find

Nope, it's not listed in the game and also the damage a shell does to modules is different to the damage it does to the tank HP pool and that is also not listed in the game.

Engine power also affects your traverse rate but it's up to you if you think it's worth the exp.

Mike_Mckay #10 Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18733 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostHomer_J, on 30 July 2018 - 03:18 AM, said:

Nope, it's not listed in the game and also the damage a shell does to modules is different to the damage it does to the tank HP pool and that is also not listed in the game.

Engine power also affects your traverse rate but it's up to you if you think it's worth the exp.

Cheers, it works out to a 1/29th increase in engine power, so if that translates to an equal improvement in traverse speed and acceleration then I think I would rather get the 113 and get started on the 5A earlier tbh unless when I pay more attention to it I notice the engine keeps breaking every time a T92 sneezes at it :)

Thanks for the info though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users