Any plans on fixing that shell drop compensation thingy?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

PanzerfahrerPaul #1 Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19713 battles

Not sure why I never noticed before but since 1.0 I'm really getting frustrated more and more by the automatic shell drop compensation feature. What I mean is that if you try to aim uphill towards a tank to appear on a ridge-line or in a bush the gun never aligns up to the aim due to the automatic shell drop compensation aiming at infinity.

Great! On some maps this is really annoying, e.g. on Cliff, Fisherman's Bay, Prokhorovka and Westfield where often enough you are trying to hide in a ditch an aim uphill. Sure, you can trick the system by aiming even higher and forcing the gun to move up as well, but as soon as the tank hiding in the bush or appearing over the ridge-line gets spotted.... well, the aim is off. 

Come on WG, at least give us the option to disable the automatic shell drop compensation. I KNOW where I want to shot. That's where I want my gun to aim at. And no, in most cases it is not the sky but the bush on that ridge-line. Either in the settings or via a hot key would be nice!

Sorry for the rant, but so many great shots have been ruined (and arguably even games got lost) by this.

Just two things to fix in the game and I would be a real happy bunny. Japanese Tier IX and X Heavy HE spam and this issue. I can even live with 3-5-7 in the bottom feeder. Actually good credit making in the Lowe, Skorpion or S1 :)

Edited by PanzerfahrerPaul, 30 July 2018 - 05:08 PM.

HassenderZerhacker #2 Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27223 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

there is a fix - use the mod "BalCalcMod" it allows you to fix the aiming range by keeping a key pressed.

and if you think your demand through a little... if you did actually aim at that bush without shell drop compensation, your shell would actually fall short of the bush.

snowy76 #3 Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27191 battles
  • [KTTP] KTTP

Another simple fix would be for WG to make the map edge "hard" for gun aiming.

I think there is another bug in the aiming system, i have had shells fall out of the aiming recital when sniping at long range.

FizzleMcSnizzle #4 Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5250 battles

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 31 July 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

there is a fix - use the mod "BalCalcMod" it allows you to fix the aiming range by keeping a key pressed.

and if you think your demand through a little... if you did actually aim at that bush without shell drop compensation, your shell would actually fall short of the bush.

Is this mod deemed legal do you know? I too am getting a bit frustrated at not being able to hit things I am aiming at on certain ridgelines.

Jigabachi #5 Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostFizzleMcSnizzle, on 31 July 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Is this mod deemed legal do you know? 

It definitely shouldn't be legal.

For a long time I really hoped that WG would simply remove that auto-elevation shenanigans all together, in order to add a bit more skill to the game, but... yeah. Won't happen.

Enforcer1975 #6 Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Is this mod deemed legal do you know? I too am getting a bit frustrated at not being able to hit things I am aiming at on certain ridgelines.

Last i heard it was in the gray zone but Aslain still has it in his mod pack iirc and it's available on the modhub. Have to look again though since i am not using it.

View PostJigabachi, on 31 July 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

It definitely shouldn't be legal.

For a long time I really hoped that WG would simply remove that auto-elevation shenanigans all together, in order to add a bit more skill to the game, but... yeah. Won't happen.

Indeed as it gives an advantage over non users similar to autoaim+ 

They should just remove it as you said or add the feature to manually set distances. 

FizzleMcSnizzle #7 Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5250 battles
Ok thanks I will avoid. But it should really be a part of the vanilla game, if it's an easy implementation.

eldrak #8 Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47382 battles
  • [NE-VO] NE-VO

Removing autoelevation of gun would be nice.

They just need to redo crosshairs a bit and include an ability to make you rangefind the ground.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66269 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Tho I get why they do it as such. As you are no longer aiming at the tank you can see anymore that is behind that bush. But the terrain behind it. Your client don't know he is there, as he don't get that info until he is spotted. I don't mind it that much, as the jump is not that big. And it's not that common of an event. But on FL it was. Because then you suddenly aimed at a hill 3km behind, not a hill 200m behind the ridgeline. And turning that off.. would again mess it up on targets you can see at long rage I suspect. 

That said... I still don't get why they don't have a setting to turn it off. If you want to manually compensate for range, vs a target you can or can't see. Then why not? Or have it like now where the game does it for you. 

View Posteldrak, on 31 July 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

Removing autoelevation of gun would be nice.

They just need to redo crosshairs a bit and include an ability to make you rangefind the ground.

I never got that either. Why range is only shown on targets. It's been more times I would like to know the range to a spot on the terrain, then to my target. As besides the map, it's handy to know where exactly visually that 445m line is to name one. Or the 400m range limit on the Luchs gun before you spot targets. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 31 July 2018 - 03:15 PM.

tankqull #10 Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20924 battles
  • [-FD-] -FD-

View Postsnowy76, on 31 July 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Another simple fix would be for WG to make the map edge "hard" for gun aiming.

I think there is another bug in the aiming system, i have had shells fall out of the aiming recital when sniping at long range.

simple fix would be to fix the bulletdrop calculation range at the max bullet range of 720m they have implemented aswell, whats the reason to calculate for an out of map obstacle when the range the shell disapears from game is far below that range anyway?

Edited by tankqull, 31 July 2018 - 03:32 PM.

HassenderZerhacker #11 Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27223 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

yes, as far as I know it is legal.

The mod has been around for several years, always a part of Aslain's as long as I can remember.

FizzleMcSnizzle #12 Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5250 battles
Anyone else still bugged out about this? Was on Redshire yesterday trying to hit targets that I knew were hiding (unlit)  on an elevated ridgeline, and watched a succession of shells sail way overhead. Then next game (Fisherman's Bay) I thought I would blind fire the spotters who always hide in central bushes, with same result. I understand the mechanics of why it happens, but it's bloody annoying. Surely a vanilla aim compensation override feature (might need a snappier title) would be reasonable?

HassenderZerhacker #13 Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27223 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostFizzleMcSnizzle, on 12 September 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

Anyone else still bugged out about this? Was on Redshire yesterday trying to hit targets that I knew were hiding (unlit) on an elevated ridgeline, and watched a succession of shells sail way overhead. Then next game (Fisherman's Bay) I thought I would blind fire the spotters who always hide in central bushes, with same result. I understand the mechanics of why it happens, but it's bloody annoying. Surely a vanilla aim compensation override feature (might need a snappier title) would be reasonable?

just install balcalc mod

FizzleMcSnizzle #14 Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5250 battles

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 12 September 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

just install balcalc mod

It's getting so annoying that I am getting close to giving it a whirl. Mods though....

CremeFraiche #15 Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24041 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There's a spot on Overlord that makes your sight elevate a couple of hundred meters or so up in the air, pretty amusing.

Just disable it, or make it an option at least.

Troubledove #16 Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 42770 battles
  • [METAL] METAL

Just give key that switches between autocompensate and manual.

1) point at place where your aim gets autocompensated

2) Keep magic key pressed

3) Sights turn into manual distance compensation mode starting in the position where the last autocompensation was (also visually change the crosshair)

4) Release the magic key and autocompensation happens again.

Shooting targets behind hills would happen by autocompensating to hilltop, keep the toggle key pressed and move the sights up few notches.

This would make shooting a bit more skill game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users