Jump to content


How do you UDES?


  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Drumefy #1 Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 8988 battles
  • 51
  • Member since:
    02-26-2012

I have a question regarding the Swedish TD line, as I completely don't understand what happened there.

 

Pretty much all of the TDs in that line so far were somehow okay. I loved the Ikv 90B, had a WR of 56% on it over the course of 230 battles. It wasn't an easy vehicle, but it was definitely a fun one. The key to playing it was camping mixed with snapshotting over ridges and using its speed and mobility to evade enemy fire once spotted.

 

UDES 03, due to the hydraulic suspension, cannot be played like the Ikv 90B at all. The two seconds that it takes to switch the suspension mode is more than enough time for the enemy to slaughter you. Literally. Surprisingly, despite having "the best camo in game", this pancake is so easily spotted I cannot fathom it. I have a camo net, a camo paint, the crew is trained in camo, yet I get spotted all the time, everywhere. It seems to me I'm spotted much more often than in the 90B which on paper has much worse camo.

 

As the maps are too small to always be far enough to be outside of spotting range, the playstyle with this vehicle is the following on 90% of maps:

1. Get into the best TD position you know on a given map

2. Take one shot.

3. You're obviously spotted despite having 60% camo and being 350 meters from the enemy

4. You press X to change suspension mode and get behind the crest.

5. Every gun on the map turns on the easy target that you are (half of them having alpha dmg of 400+)

6. You receive 2-3 consecutive hits within 0,33s and you're dead.

7. WTF?

 

Can anyone explain to me how this vehicle can be playable at all? Is it all about camping in the farthest bush you know on every map, waiting for that single enemy that may or may not wander in front of your gun? In that case I'm selling it...



Solstad1069 #2 Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 41019 battles
  • 3,208
  • Member since:
    06-15-2013

I also had binos on mine. Kind of liked the udes because the extreme pen and on tier 8 good damage. Of course you should have an idea when you are in danger of being spotted

actually before sixth sence goes off. Your reverse speed is also very good. Tier 9 is worse in my opinion.


Edited by Solstad1069, 30 July 2018 - 08:44 PM.


4nt #3 Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:57 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 23065 battles
  • 228
  • Member since:
    04-09-2013
The thing is to abuse not only 15m bush thingy, but also udes' ability to 'kneel'. Get good ridge, go siege and then nosedown, and raise the barrel. Far less shootable surface for enemy.

Also, if spotted, gtfo. You are priority target because you have exellent camo, good VR and speed, and awesome gun. And of course bias of reputation...

the_nebuchadnezzar #4 Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 47785 battles
  • 1,138
  • Member since:
    08-19-2013
Best play for UDES is to free xp to tier 9...

WindSplitter1 #5 Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:13 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 15951 battles
  • 2,560
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016
It's also called Mountain Goat for a very good reason. People use the Siege Mode to climb (There are still some that can be explored, which I will not disclose).

Drumefy #6 Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 8988 battles
  • 51
  • Member since:
    02-26-2012

I forgot to mention blind-shooting.

And arty.

 

Gotta love being one-shotted by the biggest cancer this game has in a vehicle with no armor.

 

View PostWindSplitter1, on 30 July 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

It's also called Mountain Goat for a very good reason.

Because it can be killed by throwing a stone at it?


 

Desyatnik_Pansy #7 Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

    Bartender

  • Player
  • 16440 battles
  • 25,856
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    04-19-2013

View PostDrumefy, on 30 July 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

Can anyone explain to me how this vehicle can be playable at all? Is it all about camping in the farthest bush you know on every map, waiting for that single enemy that may or may not wander in front of your gun? In that case I'm selling it...

 

That is entirely what the Swedish TDs are about. But don't worry, a few of the maps such as Cliff have even had positions perfectly designed for you to just crap all over people actually trying to push at all from complete safety. :popcorn:



baribal_80 #8 Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:41 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 21527 battles
  • 389
  • Member since:
    02-27-2012

1. Really learn to use bushes.

2. If you point your mouse at the ground in front of your tank your butt rises and you can peak over hills with showing almost nothing of your tank



LordMuffin #9 Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 48172 battles
  • 11,108
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    06-21-2011

View PostDrumefy, on 30 July 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

I have a question regarding the Swedish TD line, as I completely don't understand what happened there.

 

Pretty much all of the TDs in that line so far were somehow okay. I loved the Ikv 90B, had a WR of 56% on it over the course of 230 battles. It wasn't an easy vehicle, but it was definitely a fun one. The key to playing it was camping mixed with snapshotting over ridges and using its speed and mobility to evade enemy fire once spotted.

 

UDES 03, due to the hydraulic suspension, cannot be played like the Ikv 90B at all. The two seconds that it takes to switch the suspension mode is more than enough time for the enemy to slaughter you. Literally. Surprisingly, despite having "the best camo in game", this pancake is so easily spotted I cannot fathom it. I have a camo net, a camo paint, the crew is trained in camo, yet I get spotted all the time, everywhere. It seems to me I'm spotted much more often than in the 90B which on paper has much worse camo.

 

As the maps are too small to always be far enough to be outside of spotting range, the playstyle with this vehicle is the following on 90% of maps:

1. Get into the best TD position you know on a given map

2. Take one shot.

3. You're obviously spotted despite having 60% camo and being 350 meters from the enemy

4. You press X to change suspension mode and get behind the crest.

5. Every gun on the map turns on the easy target that you are (half of them having alpha dmg of 400+)

6. You receive 2-3 consecutive hits within 0,33s and you're dead.

7. WTF?

 

Can anyone explain to me how this vehicle can be playable at all? Is it all about camping in the farthest bush you know on every map, waiting for that single enemy that may or may not wander in front of your gun? In that case I'm selling it...

You need to learn how to bush.

You can shoot enemies at 200m in that tank without getting spotted if you know your bushes.

Rule: Always sit a bit behind the bush, at least 15m. Never put your tank inside a bush unless there is another bush further away then 15m from you and between you and the target you aim at.

Don't shoot enemy tanks if an enemy tank is within 400m and you don't have a bush between you and him.

 

Then, you have an engine and a fast speed, relocate much to help whatever flank is in need of support. 


Edited by LordMuffin, 30 July 2018 - 09:44 PM.


Drumefy #10 Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:07 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 8988 battles
  • 51
  • Member since:
    02-26-2012

View PostLordMuffin, on 30 July 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

You need to learn how to bush.

You can shoot enemies at 200m in that tank without getting spotted if you know your bushes.

Rule: Always sit a bit behind the bush, at least 15m. Never put your tank inside a bush unless there is another bush further away then 15m from you and between you and the target you aim at.

Don't shoot enemy tanks if an enemy tank is within 400m and you don't have a bush between you and him.

 

Then, you have an engine and a fast speed, relocate much to help whatever flank is in need of support. 

 

I know exactly the bush mechanics. I'm learning this tactic. The hydraulic suspension means I can't use the ridge-bushes (what I call them - a bush that's on the crest of a ridge) for peek-a-boo.

Using the tactic you described very often means I have nobody to shoot at and end up doing 0-1k dmg through the battle.



r0f #11 Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:11 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 6324 battles
  • 278
  • [AFUNM] AFUNM
  • Member since:
    10-19-2012

"I don't usually UDES but when I do I STRV S1.":trollface:

 


 


Edited by r0f, 30 July 2018 - 10:15 PM.


kaneloon #12 Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:29 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 28116 battles
  • 1,631
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC
  • Member since:
    11-18-2011

View PostDrumefy, on 30 July 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

I forgot to mention blind-shooting.

And arty.

 

Gotta love being one-shotted by the biggest cancer this game has in a vehicle with no armor.

 

I find those ghost swedish tds more a desease than arty. They shoot you 3 times before you spot them.



PervyPastryPuffer #13 Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:27 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 31021 battles
  • 1,871
  • [VRTC] VRTC
  • Member since:
    09-13-2013

How do UDES* :great:

 

I can't play mine without food... The gun is too wonky without food, it really makes a difference between playable and unplayable dispersion when turning in siege mode. Also it helps with camo and, well, everything.

 

The S1 doesn't have this dispersion, and it's at the same tier... :sceptic: WG balance at it again.



Derethim #14 Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:36 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 17518 battles
  • 1,888
  • Member since:
    04-03-2012

How do you play UDES?

Simple.

You send N-UDES.

 

I'll show myself out.



LordMuffin #15 Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:42 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 48172 battles
  • 11,108
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    06-21-2011

View PostDrumefy, on 30 July 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

 

I know exactly the bush mechanics. I'm learning this tactic. The hydraulic suspension means I can't use the ridge-bushes (what I call them - a bush that's on the crest of a ridge) for peek-a-boo.

Using the tactic you described very often means I have nobody to shoot at and end up doing 0-1k dmg through the battle.

I use that tactic and average above 2k dmg in the Udes.



magkiln #16 Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:04 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 24179 battles
  • 751
  • [EKKE] EKKE
  • Member since:
    09-21-2015

View PostDrumefy, on 30 July 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

 

Can anyone explain to me how this vehicle can be playable at all? Is it all about camping in the farthest bush you know on every map, waiting for that single enemy that may or may not wander in front of your gun? In that case I'm selling it...

 

That's a soft-skinned TD for you.

 

As for using ridges, you can do it:

1) Park behind the ridge. Engage siege mode

2) Aim all the way down, so the back of the tank rises and sticks up over the ridge.

3) Now aim forward. The UDES is now parked behind the ridge, with only the back of the tank (with the gun in it) exposed.

4) Fire when ready

5) If spotted, disengage siege mode. The rear of the tank will drop and you're once again completely covered by the ridge.

 

 



Warzey #17 Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • WGL PRO Player
  • 57073 battles
  • 949
  • Member since:
    04-29-2011

View PostDrumefy, on 30 July 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

Can anyone explain to me how this vehicle can be playable at all? Is it all about camping in the farthest bush you know on every map, waiting for that single enemy that may or may not wander in front of your gun? In that case I'm selling it...

 

No no no, that's how you play Skorpion G. With UDES you have enough camo (with camo skill, camo net and preferably paint) to be creative. 

Generally speaking I would avoid going to the "usual TD spot" and instead position myself to support weaker flank (based on how my team deploys). The point is that enemies will play more aggressively when they realize that they have numbers advantage which will give you more opportunity to do damage. Nice part about this strategy is that you always win, if the flank loses you can just retreat to a saver position and if the flank wins then you can move further in and you actively helped (instead of bush camping and doing useless damage after everything fails). I personally managed to get around 62% win rate, around 2400 avg damage and 3 marks on my UDES using this strategy.

As I previously said it is really important that you use Rammer + Camo net + Binos and that you have full camo on all crew members, it just makes your life a whole lot easier. With that setup any tank that's not equipped for spotting will have a hard time finding you. 


Edited by Warzey, 31 July 2018 - 11:59 AM.


ThinGun #18 Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 34998 battles
  • 1,293
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

Climbing unscalable heights in Siege Mode is one of the true delights of this awesome TD.  Oh, and being able to paint it purple or lime green.

 

Basically, you just need to learn how to properly hide and accept that sometimes you will need to reverse really really quickly when spotted.  There aren't that many tanks that can one-shot you ... and the 1.8 second suspension time is a lot less than most tanks' reload time.



PlasticArmour #19 Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 52824 battles
  • 113
  • [BULL] BULL
  • Member since:
    07-06-2011

It's the slow exit from siege mode that is the Achilles heal for the Udes

The best thing to do is sit as far back as you can. if you see arty behind you then you're too far forward.

Do not get spotted

Do not play small maps

Do not play city maps

There, now you'll do fine. And it is worth the pain to get to tier 9.



Thornvalley #20 Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 33905 battles
  • 115
  • Member since:
    01-27-2015

You have light tank mobility in the UDES. It can be used to reach less exploited positions early on, but always keep a path for retreat open.

 

Assume you are spotted after taking a shot from a new position by going out of siege mode immediately.

 

Use your 1000 hp in the end if necessary. It is still 1-3 hits for your (top tier) team mates. Also, the tank is not that difficult to shot with in travel mode due to the abillity to raise/incline the gun.


Edited by Thornvalley, 31 July 2018 - 12:57 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users