The Second British TD Line

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

CircleOfSorrow #1 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:29 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29236 battles

I'm currently taking a break from WoT, but have been considering what I could do in game for enjoyment should I return.  I got the Deathstar before it was removed, and I really don't enjoy the Badger.  I am considering grinding to the Shitbarn, and I have some questions about the line.

1.  I have to start from the Archer, which I think is tier 6.  Are there any horrible vehicles from the Archer onward?

2.  Which equipment on the grind up would you recommend free xping?

3.  Are there any vehicles below the Shitbarn that you would consider fun/effective keepers?  Why?

4. When would you reasonably expect the next retraining for gold discount?

Thanks!

Grand_Moff_Tano #2 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1762 battles
  • [BC28] BC28

Archer is Tier 5, the Achilles is Tier 6.

Dava_117 #3 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19480 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The archer is tier 5. Still at it too... quite an unimpressive machine atm...

fwhaatpiraat #4 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47242 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I thought you were focusing on light tanks :)

Archer is at tier 5, it's... special. Achilles is tier 6, good mobility and gun, but lacking gun depression and traverse. Tier 7 challenger used to be among the worst in game, now it't okay I guess. Tier 8 charioteer is seen as a gem, gun handling and traverse kills it for me though. Nice pen and hesh shells. I have the conway but haven't played it yet :)

Use free xp for modules at tier 7 and 8.

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 01 August 2018 - 03:46 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #5 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47242 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 01 August 2018 - 03:46 PM.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66286 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

1: The line overall is not terrible. Has one of two bad stock grinds. But that's about it. Archer at tier 5 is great once you get to a spot to start farming. But relocating tends to be an issue at times. And why most hate it. 

2: The turret on the tier 6. So you can get the big 17 pdr on it instantly from the Archer. As without it, it's not great. Top gun on the tier 7 is a must. As without it. it's terrible, as pr the old rep on it. With the 32 its actually not a bad support TD. The stock grind on the Charioteer is not the worst. But I hated it with the 20 pdr. But the 105 gun costs a fair bit of xp. Tier 9 is basically like the Borsig. No turret upgrade, and the stock gun is the top gun on the Tortoise. So no need for anything tbh .

3: Archer. I've done so many TD missions with it. It's a great bully TD on tier 5. The Charioteer is basically a medium with a tier 9 gun once elited. And I've enjoyed it ever since it got the 105 on it.

4: Who knows. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 01 August 2018 - 03:49 PM.

PowJay #7 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35446 battles

View PostDava_117, on 01 August 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

The archer is tier 5. Still at it too... quite an unimpressive machine atm...

and http://wotreplays.eu...g-powjay-archer

and the Achilles, which is still in the garage.

This is a rare battle, but it shows what it can do. http://wotreplays.eu...powjay-achilles

I haven't gone beyond this. Yet.

Rati_Festa #8 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42880 battles
The Archer can be good fun with the top gun, its painful to get it though.

I dont consider that line competitive at all even with the changes they just dont suit the game meta.

Edited by Rati_Festa, 01 August 2018 - 03:50 PM.

shikaka9 #9 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 60041 battles
Charioteer is fun, Conway is OK,  had Challenger pre buff version and it was horrible now i guess just bad, Achilles bad

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22178 battles

I completed the Challenger grind recently but I took the Firefly path which was really very fun free xp'ing my way to tier 5 Sherman which was just a lovely fun derp wagon to tier6, the Firefly was a top sniper with excellent standard pen then the Challenger which is what you will be getting next. 

I would recommend you free xp the Top gun 32pdr before anything else since it's just head and shoulders better than the other 2 pew pew guns. Unfortunately like some tanks you will also need the top turret to mount the 32pdr and it locks the turret into a limited traverse and no longer a full 360 degrees which imo is retar*** by WG since the only reason ppl take these TD's instead of the turretless options is BECAUSE it has a turret for f*** sake. Anyway, ranting aside it doesn't hold this tank back much and no matter what players might tell you it's actually a very capable TD/Medium tank and was a fun grind for me. It's basically Comet but with a gun that can actually pen and wreck other tanks. Not the most refined gun and it throws shots a little bit more often than I feel a fully aimed TD gun should but, not horribly so.

Lol just reminds me actually it has a really heavily armored back plate on the turret in true British madness and seems completely and utterly useless when so many other areas including the front of the big boxy turret are absolute paper but could come in handy when running away for your life and someone shoots you in the back of the head not knowing it's stronk which happened me on 2 occasions lol.

I'm waiting for a bigger discount on the Charioteer but mostly to build up enough free xp to unlock the top gun which requires unlocking a disappointingly crap xp sink 2nd gun which is inferior in every way to the Challengers gun a tier lower than it which again, makes absolutely no f***ing sense to me and surely the second gun should be the Challengers 32 pdr (historical accuracy be damned) only a mk2 version with slightly better aim times to make justify the xp sink that it is along with giving the Charioteer a genuine 2 gun choice consideration and not just the top gun as the only option. At least the Challenger doesn't have a 2nd turret and can take the top gun as soon as you unlock it even without tracks but you would be limited to 2 pieces of equipment without the tracks researched which still means there's no point in buying the suspension upgrade equipment slot thingy and just leave it vacant.

CircleOfSorrow #11 Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29236 battles

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 01 August 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

I thought you were focusing on light tanks :)

Archer is at tier 5, it's... special. Achilles is tier 6, good mobility and gun, but lacking gun depression and traverse. Tier 7 challenger used to be among the worst in game, now it't okay I guess. Tier 8 charioteer is seen as a gem, gun handling and traverse kills it for me though. Nice pen and hesh shells. I have the conway but haven't played it yet :)

Use free xp for modules at tier 7 and 8.

Lights will always be my mainstay.  They are simply the most fun to play on a nice open map.

Thanks for the input!

Balc0ra #12 Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66286 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 August 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

Lol just reminds me actually it has a really heavily armored back plate on the turret in true British madness and seems completely and utterly useless when so many other areas including the front of the big boxy turret are absolute paper but could come in handy when running away for your life and someone shoots you in the back of the head not knowing it's stronk which happened me on 2 occasions lol.

That 200mm backplate has saved my rear hide so many times when I run away it's silly.  I've even approached a T29 once with the gun over the rear, hoping he would get an average or lower roll so I could take him out. And he did. Tho that was when the line was new. 

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 August 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

Unfortunately like some tanks you will also need the top turret to mount the 32pdr and it locks the turret into a limited traverse and no longer a full 360 degrees which imo is retar*** by WG since the only reason ppl take these TD's instead of the turretless options is BECAUSE it has a turret for f*** sake.

At the same time I get why they did it tho. As the only reason why I spot most of those firing now, is because they have to move their hull, turning off the camo net etc. As with a full 360 turret and that gun, it would be a fairly strong TD on the 2nd line at times. Or even close up in a flanking role with that alpha etc. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 01 August 2018 - 04:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users