• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Mr_Spanish_FPS #1 Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:52 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1530 battles
  • [H2VOC] H2VOC

Hello there world of tanks veterans, 

I am a relatively new player to world of tanks, I have played on and off for awhile but never seriously tried to improve. I would really like to be more influential in games and learn to be the biggest help I can to my team, even as the bottom tier tank.

Any experienced/skilled tankers who would be willing to platoon up and teach me a thing or two I would appreciate greatly!

Hope to hear from you!

iztok #2 Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

Hi!

Welcome, padawan! ;)

Learning WoT in just a couple of coach-ed battles will not really help, since WoT is a hard-to-master game. There's at least one clan that helps newbies learn the game, so you may google for it, or you can watch YouTube replays with commentaries, like Zeven used to provide. 

But the most learning you'll have to do yourself: learning game interface (minimap, commands, communication), basic tank-handlng skills (driving, gun-handling, positioning), maps (where to go, what to do there, micropositions that work or don't) and other tanks (armor layout, firepower, mobility) and lots of other small stuff.

Just a piece of advice: WoT is a game that can be VERY frustrating rather often. Play it for fun, or it will take away two years of your expected lifespan (not joking! :( ). 

BR,  Iztok

Edited by iztok, 02 August 2018 - 06:30 AM.

Mr_Spanish_FPS #3 Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:58 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1530 battles
  • [H2VOC] H2VOC
Thanks man I appreciate the advice! I feel that the more basic elements of the game I am decent at now but knowing what errors I make and how to improve them is what I think I am stuck on now.

Grimmx #4 Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12124 battles
  • [NTRS] NTRS
My.best advice is to whatch streamers on Twitch. /Sirfoch/Quickybaby/Circon are a few good ones.
Notice their starting positions for different classes on different maps.

Use minimap as much as possible. Make it larger so you see what’s going on around you.

Try to learn the spotting mechanics even if it’s hard.

GL.

Mr_Spanish_FPS #5 Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1530 battles
  • [H2VOC] H2VOC

That stuff is pretty basic I feel, the spotting mechanic I know well (including the super high view range to spot tanks through cover like bushes). Ive actually watched quicky and foch a lot, recently now that I am actually playing not just watching I watch skill4ltu as well and he is a great learning tool. 

I guess I just have to figure out what Im doing wrong haha

ThinGun #6 Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34056 battles

I'm a very ordinary player.  But I used to be hopeless until I received some excellent advice - after every game, spend a few minutes trying a analyse what you did wrong, or what you could have done better.  Why did I die so soon?  Could I have spotted that guy that got in behind? Was there a better position I could have been in?  Maybe you need to go to YouTube to learn new techniques or examine some tank physics.

Although losing or winning may be out of your control, there is almost always something you could/should have done to lengthen your own survival or rack up more damage, and thereby contribute to the game.  No matter how bad your team, there's always an opportunity for a personal best!

Dr_ownape #7 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 41887 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
you are a lot better than i was after 1k games. The best advice i can give??? stick to tier 6 and have fun for the next 2k games. You will learn so much as you can employ the basic stragegy in the tank classes whilst making mistakes will not cost you all your HP like it does higher up the tiers.

tumppi776 #8 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 41436 battles
  • [GG_EZ] GG_EZ

View PostDr_ownape, on 02 August 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

you are a lot better than i was after 1k games. The best advice i can give??? stick to tier 6 and have fun for the next 2k games. You will learn so much as you can employ the basic stragegy in the tank classes whilst making mistakes will not cost you all your HP like it does higher up the tiers.

^this. Also make sure you'll get 6th sense perk on all your crews while hanging around T6

imendars #9 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10958 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Also remember - cool high tier tanks and prems are not as cool as they look.

They meet lots of other very cool tanks and players like Circon, Dr_ownape and so on...

Mr_Spanish_FPS #10 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1530 battles
  • [H2VOC] H2VOC

Ill try this stuff out guys, I appreciate it ^_^

I think the biggest thing I need to learn is when to be somewhere different on the map and knowing when to push and when to retreat. Some maps I am good at it, others not at all

Baldrickk #11 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:35 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29530 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View Posttumppi776, on 02 August 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

^this. Also make sure you'll get 6th sense perk on all your crews while hanging around T6

Looks at T-10/Obj257 crew.

Oops went BIA, not even finished 2nd skill. 

Looks at E100, 80% crew...

Edited by Baldrickk, 02 August 2018 - 10:35 AM.

malaquey #12 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30205 battles

Watch lot's of game play from really good players, I will suggest watching the player named Lemmingrush, he talks about his thought process in that moment. 

Learning how to utilise the minimap is very important, always look at your team split at the start of the match. so you don't drive into a position alone and die then complain about it.

Don't rush tiers till you learn all the basics and mechanics of the game.

you have a long way to go with less than 1k game play. good luck.

Dava_117 #13 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

Major

• Player
  • 18559 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

Well, nothing really I can add to what has been said, except that if you want to platoon just ask if you see me online (and maybe write me you are the one from the learning thread, because I'm quite bad at remembering names). 

I like to platoon and I may show you some trick about heavy tanks. ;)

Edited by Dava_117, 02 August 2018 - 10:49 AM.

iztok #14 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

View PostMr_Spanish_FPS, on 02 August 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

I think the biggest thing I need to learn is when to be somewhere different on the map and knowing when to push and when to retreat. Some maps I am good at it, others not at all

Uh, oh! :(Situational awareness is one thing that's hard to learn. I came here from decades of strategy gaming and it comes to me as natural as breathing. To learn it, that will involve a lot of thinking and analyzing. ThinGun in replay #6 has given you one of the best advices possible to start learning. Heed his advice, and after you're done with your own actions, take a step back and have another look at the battle as a whole. When previously-unseen patterns start to emerge, you've grown from a fighter to a strategist. I hope you'll succeed. :great:

BR,  Iztok

FizzleMcSnizzle #15 Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3158 battles
One important thing to learn is flexibility. For instance, 90% of TD players on Prok will go camp the same corner, whatever the game mode. They will STILL go there, even if their scouts have gone up the hill. It's pointless complaining about a lack of spots under those circumstances. Go up the hill with the lights and you might have a much bigger game. The very best players (which I am not, not even close) will be looking at the minimap all the time, and relocating as necessary, to exploit a weakness or plug a hole. One common beginner mistake is not turning back when appropriate. Just because you have travelled 500m, that does not mean you should carry on regardless. If nothing else,  turning back to defend an attack on your base will usually net you more damage.

Flid_Merchant #16 Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:26 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9614 battles

View Postmalaquey, on 02 August 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Watch lot's of game play from really good players, I will suggest watching the player named Lemmingrush, he talks about his thought process in that moment. 

Learning how to utilise the minimap is very important, always look at your team split at the start of the match. so you don't drive into a position alone and die then complain about it.

Don't rush tiers till you learn all the basics and mechanics of the game.

you have a long way to go with less than 1k game play. good luck.

I agree Lemmingrush is great, especially the way he explains everything as he does it.

Mr_Spanish_FPS #17 Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1530 battles
  • [H2VOC] H2VOC

Thank you for all the advice everyone I really appreciate it! For all the recommendations of "Lemmingrush" I will look him up for sure and watch what he does!

I will certainly try to analyze my games more and think about how I can have the most impact possible without sacrificing my tank. 

Thank you very much for all your input guys ^_^

Anyone who doesnt mind teaching me a thing or two in platoon Id love to play and learn more during game ^_^ 

P.S keep the advice coming, I am writing things down!! :P

Edited by Mr_Spanish_FPS, 02 August 2018 - 12:06 PM.

Bora_BOOM #18 Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

Major

• Player
  • 21475 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

1. Don't rush tiers. Tier 7 and above are far less forgiving.

2. Heavies are nice to start with. Go Russian line up to kv-85 or t-150. Americans are good to start with too, t29 is nice.

3. 10k games is a number at which you can say you have learned something. You have been around. After that things will just start to biluild up.

4. Don't switch vehicles too much during one session. At least until you get good.

5. If you get tilted stop playing and make a break. 15 min will do.

6. Find a document called "Tankers handbook" (sgta academy tutorial). Plenty of good stuff there. 

Edited by Bora_BOOM, 02 August 2018 - 12:37 PM.

BigT0ny #19 Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12698 battles
Feel free to add me in-game, I've only come back to the game recently and I don't have many people to platoon with.

The hardest thing for me was (re-)learning all of the maps. If you know the map well enough, you can make any vehicle perform well. Maybe it would help if you started a heavy or light tank line, as they may help you understand the limits of certain vehicles. I'd recommend staying away from TDs and arty - the only reason I play these classes still is for the personal and event missions.

signal11th #20 Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35404 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Watch streamers and learn where they position themselves and also the map.. best tool in the game.

Also tagged with Coaching, Student

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users