Friendly-fire prevention tips?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Geoffrey_Ironfist #1 Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4550 battles

The other day I was exchanging shots hull down in a Pz-38 H with a M14/41 also hull down. Both tanks are hard to kill hull down at tier II, so we were taking our time. In the meantime, a little tank with a pom-pom machine gun a quarter of a mile behind me was unleashing clip after clip into my back trying to hit the tiny speck of a turret protruding from the enemy tank. He took a fraction of my hit points away. It was also distracting until I worked out what was going on. What do you do? Any ideas? Maybe Wargaming could issue an in-game warning to newbies that you are causing as much or more damage to your friend than to enemy tanks?

In another situation conversely, I was dogfighting with an enemy light tank and I was circling around it and two friendly light tanks run in for the kill. Once I press fire, that machine gun unleashes some 12 or so shots in a sequence and it would not stop by taking my fingers off the trigger. I would question the wisdom of running into the path of a machine gun willingly but still felt sorry for my allies. Suggestions about that? Maybe a warning that you are about to run into the path of a machine gun that's firing? Maybe make the sound of the flying machine gun bullets really audible to nearby tanks? What do you people do to prevent these sorts of things from happening?

Or is there a radio-operator trick I have not mastered yet? I am really bad with typing messages in-game because my computer is set up such that if I press any of the F-keys. the screen is dimmed, the sound goes off, etc, so I cannot use the F keys for in-game communication. I have to do SHIFT+F-key, i.e. use both my hands simultaneously and it's not doable. Plus by the time this is done, the damage will also be done.

Isharial #2 Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19540 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostGeoffrey_Ironfist, on 02 August 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

The other day I was exchanging shots hull down in a Pz-38 H with a M14/41 also hull down. Both tanks are hard to kill hull down at tier II, so we were taking our time. In the meantime, a little tank with a pom-pom machine gun a quarter of a mile behind me was unleashing clip after clip into my back trying to hit the tiny speck of a turret protruding from the enemy tank. He took a fraction of my hit points away. It was also distracting until I worked out what was going on. What do you do? Any ideas? Maybe Wargaming could issue an in-game warning to newbies that you are causing as much or more damage to your friend than to enemy tanks?

In another situation conversely, I was dogfighting with an enemy light tank and I was circling around it and two friendly light tanks run in for the kill. Once I press fire, that machine gun unleashes some 12 or so shots in a sequence and it would not stop by taking my fingers off the trigger. I would question the wisdom of running into the path of a machine gun willingly but still felt sorry for my allies. Suggestions about that? Maybe a warning that you are about to run into the path of a machine gun that's firing? Maybe make the sound of the flying machine gun bullets really audible to nearby tanks? What do you people do to prevent these sorts of things from happening?

Or is there a radio-operator trick I have not mastered yet? I am really bad with typing messages in-game because my computer is set up such that if I press any of the F-keys. the screen is dimmed, the sound goes off, etc, so I cannot use the F keys for in-game communication. I have to do SHIFT+F-key, i.e. use both my hands simultaneously and it's not doable. Plus by the time this is done, the damage will also be done.

1. it was atleast trying to help you, and didn't just spam your back with shells. its low tier, and mostly new players stay there. its not something that is unseen, and id say its just a newbie mistake. not something WG can actively work against given people do have to learn how to shoot for themselves

2. you don't fire if there's a chance of hitting your teammates, or if you do, you quickly turn the mouse to the floor so you hit that and not your teammate

its really a problem only for a couple of autoloaders, as most don't fire like that

I don't think it needs a change in-game, but I think it needs a notice in the gun statistics box that it fires in bursts, as right now, that's buried away. it could be clearer which are and which aren't.

I don't know about any trick, but you can rebind the F keys to other keys in the game settings

Geoffrey_Ironfist #3 Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:14 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4550 battles
The machine gun in the second case was locked onto the target. Perhaps it might be possible with more experience to turn off the auto-aim while zig-zagging if an ally runs in but not using the auto aim with a machine gun while circling around the target would take skill I also do not have. Maybe there is some control that newbies should turn on to hear machine guns in stereo or surround sound or hear a doppler effect or something? I could have done the same mistake.

Homer_J #4 Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Maybe Wargaming could issue an in-game warning to newbies that you are causing as much or more damage to your friend than to enemy tanks?

The game does warn you when you hit a friendly.  And if they continue to do it they will get an enforced rest for an hour (or more for repeat offences).

I have to do SHIFT+F-key, i.e. use both my hands simultaneously

You must have very small hands if you can't do that one handed, or a large keyboard.

You may be able to make the keyboard default to F keys or you may have an F-lock button you can use to toggle the mode.  Failing that a USB keyboard for gaming.

Or you could just not use autocannons if it becomes a real problem for you.

kaneloon #5 Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27362 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

When you hit the Alt or Altgr key or whatever (I am on mobile) there is a wheel of commands poping on screen. You just move the mouse to highlight a choice and release the key to send the message.

If your pointer is on a team mate the message is for him.

Edited by kaneloon, 04 August 2018 - 08:41 AM.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #6 Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4550 battles

View Postkaneloon, on 04 August 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

When you hit the Alt or Altgr key or whatever (I am on mobile) there is a wheel of commands poping on screen. You just move the mouse to highlight a choice and release the key to send the message.

If your pointer is on a team mate the message is for him.

That's all useful, but really I am struggling to keep the machine gun on an enemy tank and manoeuver my own tank without ending up into a lake or crashing into a wall or something. It would help if there was some online effect that warned others you are firing a machine gun onto a locked target.

I may have worked out part of the cause of these issues today when checking my tank rankings. Everyone else seems to have low assist scores, hardly anyone more than mine down the entire list, so I guess at least the newbies are desperate to credit themselves for tank kills for some reason. That explains a lot of these weird situations. Yesterday some heavy tanks and tank destroyers were exchanging shots down a street and as one of the enemy tanks got low in health, a light tank jumped out of cover for the kill. What actually happened was instant karma. In another situation I was exchanging shots with a tank and I was quite capable of winning the fight without anyone's help and as I was about to kill him a light tank rushed in for the kill. What actually happened was we got both jammed in a very tight spot and could not turn around as two enemy tanks appeared in our rear. Instant karma again. It probably also explains a lot of other strange behaviour, like all turreted tanks going down one side of the map. At least I am now more aware of the mindframe of many players just from this single statistic.

kaneloon #7 Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27362 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

Not sure I all understood, but everything comes with time.

Awareness of the surroundings/map while engaged in a fight or waiting for an enemy to pop is the hardest - I'm still strugling with it.

Slyspy #8 Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14193 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostGeoffrey_Ironfist, on 04 August 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

That's all useful, but really I am struggling to keep the machine gun on an enemy tank and manoeuver my own tank without ending up into a lake or crashing into a wall or something. It would help if there was some online effect that warned others you are firing a machine gun onto a locked target.

I may have worked out part of the cause of these issues today when checking my tank rankings. Everyone else seems to have low assist scores, hardly anyone more than mine down the entire list, so I guess at least the newbies are desperate to credit themselves for tank kills for some reason. That explains a lot of these weird situations. Yesterday some heavy tanks and tank destroyers were exchanging shots down a street and as one of the enemy tanks got low in health, a light tank jumped out of cover for the kill. What actually happened was instant karma. In another situation I was exchanging shots with a tank and I was quite capable of winning the fight without anyone's help and as I was about to kill him a light tank rushed in for the kill. What actually happened was we got both jammed in a very tight spot and could not turn around as two enemy tanks appeared in our rear. Instant karma again. It probably also explains a lot of other strange behaviour, like all turreted tanks going down one side of the map. At least I am now more aware of the mindframe of many players just from this single statistic.

Could be. Or it is could be that you play very aggressively (too aggressively perhaps) or a combination of both.

Worth noting that LTs are practically forced to be somewhat opportunistic killers thanks to the way they and the game are designed. 

Baldrickk #9 Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29530 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostHomer_J, on 04 August 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

You may be able to make the keyboard default to F keys or you may have an F-lock button you can use to toggle the mode.  Failing that a USB keyboard for gaming.

If there isn't a toggle, it'll be a BIOS setting.

It's worth doing.  What's easier to do? Hit a single key while in an intense gaming situation,  or hit two keys in the same situation. 

How does that compare to adjusting the brightness while browsing a web page?

Geoffrey_Ironfist #10 Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4550 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 04 August 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

It's worth doing.  What's easier to do? Hit a single key while in an intense gaming situation,  or hit two keys in the same situation. 

How does that compare to adjusting the brightness while browsing a web page?

During a light tank v light tank dogfight I have even trouble not falling into rivers or bumping into walls and rocks. Even pressing an extra key would be demanding. Hopefully, I will improve with practice.

View PostSlyspy, on 04 August 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

Worth noting that LTs are practically forced to be somewhat opportunistic killers thanks to the way they and the game are designed. 

With a heavier tank, I am usually engaged with enemy heavier tanks and I do not think light tanks have any business being in the brawl in these situations. In a light tank v light tank dogfight, yes we all are taking are chances but the more friendlies are involved circling around an enemy tank, the higher the chances that friendly fire will happen. Shouldn't there be some way to hear the machine gun of a friend and stop or back off or hear a warning of some kind?

Homer_J #11 Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBaldrickk, on 04 August 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

I think I had to change a registry setting for a previous keyboard of mine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users