Good Maps, OK maps and maps i hate

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

F2PEXP #1 Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3683 battles

good                                                      ok                                                    hate

redshire                                            mines                                              mines encounter

malinovka all                                    fjords                                               new erlenberg all, old better

steppes  all                                       paris                                                province old better

prokhorovka                                    overlord                                            abbey

murovanka                                     glacier                                              fishermans bay

westfield                                         himmelsdorf                                       mountain pass

sand river assault                           sand river except assault                arctic region

stalingrad                                       tundra                                              live oaks

Kharkov                                                                                                    cliff

ensk all

now I know loads of map threads but I have been gradually writing down how I like the maps and was quite surprised how even the columns

now I admit 3 good maps are not in game any more and I would add old erlenberg to list of good maps, also if you had asked me a while back Paris would all have been in bad list but new maps and reworked maps have been so poor it actually seems redeemable, who would have guessed

also in ranked some of the bad maps are better, live oaks for example in randoms I hate as too many players in north spawn go city or that hill and wait to lose whereas in ranked the good players all go and contest the 9 line,  it is not great but it is balanced as a map which surprised me,  arctic region however even in ranked is really badly balanced.

anyway, just a list to see what other players think

edit  my thinking is I like good maps in any tank, ok maps in some classes, eg tundra in meds or heavies but not so much in tds or lights, and bad maps I just hate in all tanks !!!

Edited by F2PEXP, 02 August 2018 - 02:01 PM.

Bora_BOOM #2 Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22695 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG
The spreadsheet you wanted to make is a mess... :sceptic:

Indy_Bones #3 Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:26 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29899 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

Kharkov and Stalingrad were shocking maps and I was really pleased to see them removed along with the rubbish that was Pilsen (just a damn shame Paris wasn't with them as well).

Most of the changed maps are now worse IMHO.

Again, as I've said on numerous threads, if we reverted the game back to 0.8.7 but kept the improved graphics it's a win all round and would solve many map issues in the process as well.

SuedKAT #4 Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I semi agree with you, but I think there is more to it, some maps are good at certain tiers but garbage at others, Mines is one such example.

Bora_BOOM #5 Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22695 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Redshire is probably the best. Using that map as a concept with adding city and/or flat parts would be a nice start point. 

Imagine Lakeville that has a half of a Redshire instead of the valley. Heck, slap half of Redshire instead of a beach on Overlord. Completelly pulled that out of my arse, but damn if the two maps wouldn't be better. :trollface:

But nooo. WG makes a pancake map or a buildings maze. :deer:

M4m1de #6 Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12943 battles
  • [-T_P-] -T_P-

prokhorovka is very bad at Tier 10, when there is no scout and 6 TDs on each team...

What a campfest

Edit: Redshire is the best map in the game

Edited by M4m1de, 05 August 2018 - 06:45 PM.

HassenderZerhacker #7 Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27227 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

Main problem I see with maps is the tank-map incompatibility.

Some maps are horrible when driving some tank types and fine when driving other tank types, or even sometimes spawn dependent.

Redshire is an example, heavies from the north can't reach the heavy line without getting butchered by TDs in the middle if the other team is a somewhat competent.

maps are in general too small.

tank warfare is supposed to be about movement, yet the tiny size of WoT maps prevent any wider movement arc.

Contentious #8 Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 45385 battles
I would like to see province (just stupid), ensk (too small) and abbey (the corridors) removed.

Homer_J #9 Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostF2PEXP, on 02 August 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

anyway, just a list to see what other players think

I think your list is wrong more often than right.

To start with assault mode is never good.

I don't hate any maps, I wasn't too keen on Stalingrad or Kharkov but they were workable.  It will be interesting to see what the new Pilsen is like too because that was another one I would have had in the middle column.

Edited by Homer_J, 06 August 2018 - 12:43 PM.

Negativvv #10 Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8993 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

The corridor map bias is really grating. As it means LTs and other lightly armoured stuff is pointless to play until about half the team dies as you can't flank anything...

They'll never remove Prok as it's historical and WG likes to remind you of stronk Soviet Kursk win.

Maps will make or break games but WG seem to think we would be stastifed with a handful of maps like Counter Strike. Dust 2 Rush B Bylat? :trollface:

KillingJoker #11 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33317 battles
  • [-EXC-] -EXC-

I don't hate any map, there is only thing i really hate...

arty in certain maps...

Arty can make really fun maps to play into a nightmare... 

So WG, instead of wasting so much hiring people to redesign maps and make new ones, you can simply limit or remove arty from the game...

Negativvv #12 Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8993 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostKillingJoker, on 06 August 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

I don't hate any map, there is only thing i really hate...

arty in certain maps...

Arty can make really fun maps to play into a nightmare... 

So WG, instead of wasting so much hiring people to redesign maps and make new ones, you can simply limit or remove arty from the game...

Just limit it to 2 per team.

3 arty on something like Prok or Malinova (however you spell it) when you're a HT means it might as well be AFK time. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users