mm fun

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Mr_Spanish_FPS #1 Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:38 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1976 battles
  • [H2VOC] H2VOC

Hello WG, I am not sure if you will ever see this but I can hope :)

I have enjoyed your game a lot over the years and despite the current matchmaking system I am improving as a player and the game is OK. I think with a tweak to the MM that the game could be amazing again. 

I remember when I could play with my friends ALL the time and love the game...now I cannot as we are never top tier, son unless we play only the best tanks of each tier, we are at a big disadvantage. 

I recently (while trying to find a possible alternative to the current MM) found a video that I think has a fantastic way to improve the MM while keeping many aspects of the current system. The link to the video is here: 

This gentleman's video is 30 minutes long, however I think it is 100% worth the watch. I will not put a TL:DR as the video is father complex and cannot be summarized easily. 

Fellow tankers, please help me pass this video around around, maybe someone at Wargaming will see it. If we politely and persistently keep at them to fix the system they will. I will not buy any more premium tanks until the system is fixed as I do not enjoy being tortured every game. In this new system however, I think many many disheartened players (and the friends they will bring with them, since the current system destroyed platooning where you can never be top tier and unless you play the very best tanks of each tier you will be at a constant disadvantage) will happily return to the game to "try out" the new system. they will like the new system, and they will give you money as they are having FUN, I am more than happy to spend money on something where I have more fun. 

Hopefully something akin to this can happen, thank you for your time everyone and WG, please try something new the current system hurts us all

-Spanish

Homer_J #2 Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I'm not watching a 30 min video made by someone with no idea how the mm works or what the player queue looks like making suggestions with no idea if they are workable.

And I'm pretty sure it's been posted here before.

And it should be in the videos section where nobody will see it.

evilchaosmonkey #3 Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16655 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

No thanks.  10 out of 10 for effort and it's a starting point however:

a) no thanks to 5/5/5 format or the 5/10 and especially the 10/5 format

b) don't ever want to play grand battles as many players don't, so that screws his MM idea up

c) vbaddict is not the place to understand how many tanks are played - you need to use the data from the main stat websites that use API calls at the least

d) takes no account of the shifting preferred tiers entering the game at different times of day and week and hence how the queue is dynamically made up

More importantly, MM is more complicated than any American could ever understand and ipso facto his idea won't work.

There really is no point in people putting spreadsheets up as proof of the answer - the least that needs to be done is a MM simulation that uses real queue data to prove it works.

Personally, if this idea was implemented then I'd be posting a 16601 style rant post.

Homer_J #4 Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The solution is quite simple.  Scrap the templates and put the old mm back in. We know that worked.

Bigbos86 #5 Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

Private

• Player
  • 759 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

It's working as intended.

You don't have to be a game designer to see a few things:

1. Wargaming is rather happy with the current MM - despite seeing unprecedented tweaking and fixing.
  2. It's beneficial for Wargaming in multiple ways. Primarily by incentivize playing T9/10. This makes for a 'feedback loop', as there'll be less T8s to participate (either by transitioning to T9/10 or by quitting).
  3. It screws over those who paid €30-40 for a tank - which frankly is a terrible idea. More than likely why Frontline was a T8-only mode and why WG is talking about fixing it up a bit. I'm not expecting too much.
  4. The matchmaker clearly has inherent issues, obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of math/statistics, including potential for variance (not good in a game) and issues with ratios (there are apparently not enough T8s to feed the T10s). 
  5. It's not necessarily, despite official claims, meant to make every match enjoyable. Instead, it's meant to hook you on the feeling of having a great battle once in a while. Case in point - I returned to the game last week, had two-three terrible matches (map/tank, team, bottom-tier) before I had a 4,5k-clubfest in my T8. Almost made me start playing again - but I know better.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29179 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 06 August 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

The solution is quite simple.  Scrap the templates and put the old mm back in. We know that worked.

But everyone hated it. :)

Bennie182 #7 Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53663 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View PostHomer_J, on 06 August 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 06 August 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

not as much as the template system:P

Homer_J #8 Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 06 August 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

Everyone hates the current system.  Doesn't matter what you do, everyone will hate it.

brisha #9 Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15386 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG
Go to an 8/7 +1 MM and it will regenerate the game. Everyone can contribute with this MM and you won't be reliant on who has the best top tiers to win.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:24 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29179 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 06 August 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Everyone hates the current system.  Doesn't matter what you do, everyone will hate it.

Yes, but everyone hated it before because it wasn't "fair" ending up the lone bottom tier tank in a +2 game. Now it's hated because it's "totally fair" as everyone gets exactly the same MM.

The solution to the problem is obvious of course. WG just need to change the MM so that everyone gets to be top tier all the time. Problem sorted!

Bordhaw #11 Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 11536 battles

View Postevilchaosmonkey, on 06 August 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

c) vbaddict is not the place to understand how many tanks are played - you need to use the data from the main stat websites that use API calls at the least

Definitely agree with that. 

Homer_J #12 Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 06 August 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

WG just need to change the MM so that everyone gets to be top tier all the time. Problem sorted!

Then everyone will complain that they are always bottom tier.  Enough people already complain that tier X gets too many all tier X battles.

Cobra6 #13 Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Yep, platoons get artificially handicapped and actively punished by Wargaming. Platoons get much harsher matchmaking meaning you're bottom tier 90%+ of the time.

This rule was implemented before the MM was redesigned platoons were frequently unbalanced in tier or number. Nowadays this is fixed so this rule should be scrapped from the MM. 

As long as both teams have equal number of platoons of equal tier, those platoons should get *EXACTLY* the same MM as a random player.

Edit: Still, reported the initial post because we have a dedicated videos section on the forums, obey the rules like all of us content creators.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 06 August 2018 - 12:34 PM.

Melkovich #14 Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 25383 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

Except for the platoon issue, which naturally occurs but still sucks, imho MM is at its best it has ever been.

And I havent seen any suggestions that have been better than current state. Also dont post the same crapvideo everywhere.

NickMustaine #15 Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

• 210 battles
Hi guys,

this thread is now locked. Please use the MatchMaking Discussion Thread if you want to talk about it. 

http://forum.worldof...ussion-thread/ 

See you soon! 

Also tagged with mm, fun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users