Swedish TD tree - is it worth the grind?

Swedish TDs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Lemmingtrain #1 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1847 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Having been out of the game for  a couple of years I'm considering giving it another go.  As I previously primarily played US and German TD's I thought I might give the Swedish TD line a go as a change of scene and I'd like to pick you guys brains over the line.  A few questions if you don't mind:

1. Should I bother?
  2. Do they play in a similar way to US/German TD's?
  3. What are the sweet spots?
  4. What are the turds worth skipping?
  5. Is the Swedish Premium TD worth the money - is it a good credit/experience earner?
  6. Any helpful hints and tips to help me on my way?

Cheers

Lemmingtrain

http://www.wotstats....u/lemmingtrain/

Liindberg #2 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 923 battles
The tiers 8, 9 and 10 are pretty awesome tanks. God-like camo levels, very high DPM and very very good guns. The STRV 103B even bounces a lot of shots. Everything lower then tier 8 is a pain in the a*s but the udes and later are awesome.

sesam2k #3 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:12 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8643 battles
  • [S_G_B] S_G_B

tier I-VII is a grind you will be familiar with, but at tier VIII the UDES 03 is what it is all about. fantastic cammo, depression, hydraulic suspesion. The works. Go for it!

I long thought about buying the S1, but i done the grind to UDES instead, which is much more rewarding and it also opens up the tech tree to IX and X

TheR3dBaron #4 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 34354 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

If you like TD's the UDES is really worth it. I have unlocked the tier 10, but don't have credits to buy it.

bstb3 #5 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:24 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 38927 battles
  • [VBRJ] VBRJ

The siege mode adds novelty value, nothing else in the game has that currently. Of course, its also a massive pain in the rear when anything gets close or when you are chasing a game - they really are best in a defensive situation as it's hard to be aggressive in them. With siege mode engaged you can turn the tank (not move forward or back) without losing the camo net or binos, which is very handy as it has no turret. Speed and Camo rating means they make very good passive scouts too.

The tier 10 is very strong, the tier 9 can be in the right situation, the tier 8 is all about abusing camo but is very effective at that. Lower tiers are mostly just paper tanks with so-so guns, the tier 6 is ok the rest not so much. Premium S1 is like a cross between the UDES at tier 8 and Strv 103-0 at tier 9 and I found it earns credits and xp well provided you know how to play it.

It's important to know your tanks in the higher tiers, in terms of caliber of guns you will be facing, as the overmatch mechanic is very important in these. 90mm or less for the S1, 120mm or less for the tier 9 and 150mm or less for the tier 10 (with the exception of small parts that are 120mm or less). Tier 9 vulnerable to low caliber HEAT though. Otherwise keep the tank facing what ever is shooting at you with lower calibers and you are golden, other than the small cupola but at the kind of ranges you should be engaging that's not an issue.

If you like TD's then you should like them, hard to really compare them to anything else as they are quite unique. 

Geno1isme #6 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42750 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

In general the swedish TDs have no armor, but decent or even great mobility.

T5 has a unique top-gun that can be awesome or useless depending on the situation.

T6 is basically a bad copy of the Nashorn, mobility and gun-depression can't compensate for the lack of firepower and viewrange

T7 is a bit special with the rear-mounted gun, but it's a pretty decent gun combined with great mobility and camo values

T8 gets the siege mechanic, an awesome gun and best-in-class camo

T9+10 get some armor and more DPM basically.

Search_Warrant #7 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27201 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Dont, no.. they are infuriating when you need to clean up or push. 1 wrong turn and your detracked, dead and game over. the least offencive class in game, even next to arty in campyness. Siege mode and the nation's tanks as a whole was useless day 1. there heavies are horrible and there TD's are unbearably boring and bad.

Edit: to them players saying "ermagerd they got super high DPM" is talking trash, tier 8-9 have very poor dpm for the alpha, SkorpionG has more DPM than UDES, for NO GOOD REASON other than WG's incompetance. all these tanks have is pen, thats it. SkorpionG is a straight upgrade and a much better tank.

If you like going afk in a bush you will love them. if you like actually playing the game, dont bother, stay far away.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 06 August 2018 - 03:33 PM.

sesam2k #8 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8643 battles
  • [S_G_B] S_G_B
some ppl like bush :)

CmdRatScabies #9 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37610 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Very much worth grinding. Offer a game style unique in a game where the tanks are becoming somewhat similar.  Randoms are not all about playing the tank that offers the best chance to win - it's about playing different tanks that play differently.

Edited by CmdRatScabies, 06 August 2018 - 03:41 PM.

Hellfoxe #10 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22804 battles

Tier X is worth buying and grinding just keep in mind it don't bounce damage from HE shells like Type 4 and 5, FV215b (183) and FV4005 Stage II.

Strv s1 is much better then Udes. I don't own udes or the strv s1 but I play tier 8 battles in my ferd td and I can said that udes don't bounce shells and str does auto bounce.

Edited by Hellfoxe, 06 August 2018 - 03:51 PM.

SuedKAT #11 Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I quite liked the tier 4 one for what it was, hated the tier 5 one and can't say I enjoyed the tier 6 one very much either, gave up after that, might free XP the tier 7 one in the future and get to the UDES, but not sure yet. The tier 8-10 machines seems solid, but the grind there is a pain, especially if you got other TD's at those tiers that you can compare with, then it stings extra much, for example I love my mid tier US, USSR, German TD's, the Swe ones don't even come close to comparing with them.

Warzey #12 Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 57073 battles
  1. You should, from T8 and up the line offers unique gameplay if nothing else. 
  2. The line is kind of similar to german stealth TDs (Grille 15 line), the main difference would be that Swedes are better at long range but worse at close range.
  3. I played the line from T6 and out of those T10 and T8 were the most fun. Ok, I liked T9 as well, but T10 is just so much better in everything that I don't know if T9 is worth mentioning as one of the sweet spot tanks. 
  4. T7 is most definitely a turd, also stock Udes is just horrible to play. 
  5. Good thing about S1 is that you get 288 standard pen, which means you require a minimal amount of premium ammo. In terms of gameplay S1 is exactly the same as Udes, there are some differences between these two tanks but overall gameplay is exactly the same. My advice is to grind up to Udes and if you like that sort of play style you can go ahead and get S1. 
  6. What ever you do, don't play +T8 without full camo crew and sixth sense, you will have a really bad time, I guarantee it. Don't try to attack or play aggressive, rather position yourself so you can cover an area where enemy is likely to play aggressive. If you don't know what to do on some maps, head over to wotreplays and search up replays on that particular map, you might learn about some new positions, it helped me out a lot. 

Lemmingtrain #13 Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1847 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Thanks all for your feedback - much appreciated :great:

tumppi776 #14 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:00 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 42780 battles
  • [DPG-I] DPG-I

TD tier 5 and 7 are worst TDs at those tiers - absolutely trash.

the 6 is quite nimble - for that reason worked a bit better.

still - true horror line until now - just going to buy udes

Perspective: I did 1.5x average of IKV90 damage (1.2k vs 800) with SU-100 which is a tier lower. just LOL. Even prebuff challenger was miles better.

Edited by tumppi776, 07 August 2018 - 07:04 AM.

HQ65 #15 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29530 battles
  • [CMERC] CMERC

They are definitley worth it....

Totally different then what you are used to with normal TD's. The top tiers are total ambush only TD's....Great camo, can move the gun while turning and not lose your cammo value.

The lower tiers are in my opinion also very nice, on the fast side, with decent guns and great camo values.

All I can say is that I am having a good time with them....

HQ65 #16 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29530 battles
  • [CMERC] CMERC

View Posttumppi776, on 07 August 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

TD tier 5 and 7 are worst TDs at those tiers - absolutely trash.

the 6 is quite nimble - for that reason worked a bit better.

still - true horror line until now - just going to buy udes

Perspective: I did 1.5x average of IKV90 damage (1.2k vs 800) with SU-100 which is a tier lower. just LOL. Even prebuff challenger was miles better.

I disagree....I got along just fine with the IKV103 and the IKV 90 Typ B :)

Attached Files

• Attached File   Unbenannt.JPG   69.84K

JocMeister #17 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 23400 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Are you a 45-48% player? Do you enjoy fapping in a bush on the redline? Do you dislike taking part in the game? Do you seldom leave the spawn? Do you always type "spot!!!" in the chat at the start of the game? Do you hate having an impact on the game and are convinced bad WR is because you have been unlucky with the teams? Are the Jap HTs a little bit too hard for you? Do you think arty requires skill to play? 

Then yes. The Swedish TD line is perfect for you  

Edited by JocMeister, 07 August 2018 - 10:48 AM.

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22259 battles

View PostLemmingtrain, on 06 August 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

Having been out of the game for  a couple of years I'm considering giving it another go.  As I previously primarily played US and German TD's I thought I might give the Swedish TD line a go as a change of scene and I'd like to pick you guys brains over the line.  A few questions if you don't mind:

1. Should I bother?
  2.  Normally I would say no, avoid, they are too situational which is true but since the HD update 1.0, many city maps are currently absent and the many of the modified maps and newer maps are really bushy and open so the game has come back to these TDs and they are playable at the moment so I would say yes, go for it.
  3. Do they play in a similar way to US/German TD's?
  4. All tanks play differently bro, does a JPanther play similar to a Borsig or do either play similar to a JTiger? 
  5. What are the sweet spots?
  6. UDES is the best tier8 ranged sniper in the game and comfortably so. The tier9 is much better in many areas but much worse in mobility which makes the UDES a bit more appealing for it's relocation potential but the tier9 bounces shots a lot and just eats through enemy tanks hp with its nuts dpm and rof which feels really bad on the UDES and the UDES bounces no shots... tier9 drops out of siege mode faster which is something you really want since being spotted and shot at is obviously a bad thing with these lightly "armored" tanks and at times you are just begging the UDES to switch to travel mode faster than it can and you get smashed by an ARTY or whatever its not nice. I haven't the tier10 just yet but it looks like a blend between the tier8 and 9 mobility with even MORE dpm so its just a better tank as it should be.
  7. What are the turds worth skipping?
  8. Most are fun and funky but in any case all are tolerable grinds with the "bad" ones being to quickest low to mid tier grinds so it's not worth considering tbh and if you are saving xp it is better to keep this for the UDES since this tank is really bad as stock and better to keep your xp so that you can get this tank fully upgraded immediately. 
  9. Is the Swedish Premium TD worth the money - is it a good credit/experience earner?
  10. Any helpful hints and tips to help me on my way?
  11. Don't get spotted, invest in camo to it's full potential, master the bush mechanics. Since they are rather slow in moving while in siege mode, place them just 1 pixel away from turning a bush solid so this is not a factor and so that you can spot yet only need tap the s key to immediately be able to shoot fully concealed, which is good practice for any tank but other tanks can reverse quickly so it's not as important for them as it is you... and don't go thinking you can ever go fighting or brawling or chase down and finish off conventional tanks you just can't and you will die. 

Cheers

Lemmingtrain

http://www.wotstats....u/lemmingtrain/

The_Georgian_One #19 Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36747 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View PostJocMeister, on 07 August 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

Are you a 45-48% player? Do you enjoy fapping in a bush on the redline? Do you dislike taking part in the game? Do you seldom leave the spawn? Do you always type "spot!!!" in the chat at the start of the game? Do you hate having an impact on the game and are convinced bad WR is because you have been unlucky with the teams? Are the Jap HTs a little bit too hard for you? Do you think arty requires skill to play?

Then yes. The Swedish TD line is perfect for you 

Plus 1 for a funny post, tho I cannot fully agree. You can actively play in some of the tanks of the line (particularly tier 9 and 10), provided that you know the gun caliber of the enemy tanks you will be facing. Also, the speed allows for re-allocating and you can support your team from 2nd line (not necessarily 3rd as one could think, as cammo allows to remain unspotted).

Your right though, that a lot of players play this tank like this - just camping 1 well known TD spot somewhere on the red line.

PowJay #20 Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35446 battles

I only played one battle in the tier II, so I can hardly make an accurate judgement on it.

The tier III (lkv 72) saw 9 wins from 20 games and was nothing to write home about.

Tier IV Sav m/43 gave me 15 wins from 32 battles and 313 average damage compared to 442 for my Hetzer and 564 for my Marder 38T. There wasn't much chance of it being a keeper.

The tier V lkv did eventually give me a decent positive win rate of 46 battles from 79 total, but with pathetic damage of 409 HP compared to my top tier V TDs the S35 CA with 669 HP, Archer with 650 HP, Pz Sfl IVc with 643 HP and the StuG III G with 662 HP. I think that the WR was luck more than anything else.

The tier VI lkv 65 Alt II is a keeper and has been in the garage for a while.

The lkv 90 B is a pretty bland TD. The worst thing about it has to be the alpha. 240 HP in a tier VII TD is just no fun. It has other performance to make up for it, but not enough so that when you do everything right, bang- 200 HP. No way.

I have completed the grind to the UDES 03, but the 90B is still in the garage at the moment. While it has a positive win rate I might continue to play the odd game for crew training until I am ready to play the UDES (when 3/5/7 MM goes) but if it hits 50% WR, it will be sold immediately.

Also tagged with Swedish TDs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users