My Top 5 Things about Modern Life I Dont Like

off topic discussion

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

SGT_Sprocket22 #1 Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30539 battles

5. TV Adverts promoting products with pointless awards. 

For example, its early January 2018 and barely a few days of the New Year has gone by when suddenly, an ad comes on about liquid soap, claiming to have won the Liquid Soap of the Year Award 2018.  

4. Overly Strong Cheese.

So, basically everything except Mild Cheddar. What I don't get is how some people can quite happily gorge themselves on cheese that is either covered in mould or has melted into a kind of stinky soup.

3. People Who Claim Global Warming Is Man Made. 

Our planet is 4.543 billion years old. Since the beginning, our world has experienced blistering heat, deathly cold and everything in between. Every species of animal, plant and micro-organism, every landscape and every body of water is in one way or another the direct response to some form of climate change. Yet there are people that claim that our world is getting hotter and hotter and its all our fault. I believe the reason why the earth is warming is because we are experiencing what is known as an Interglacial Period. In other words, our planet has for the last 3 million years endured an Ice Age Cycle of global warming (Interglacial) and global cooling (Glacial). The last Glacial Period peaked 12,000 years ago and the world has since gradually warmed. In a few thousand years from now, the world will cool again. 

2. My Feet. 

Do those who don't know, I am tall. Very tall in fact. I'm 6"4 and a bit. Now, I like being tall. It has many benefits, like being able to reach high places. But there is a down side. My feet are not only very long but also surprisingly wide. Which means when I go to buy new shoes, I struggle to find a pair that fits. I once went to 5 different shops before finding a pair that fitted. 

1. Piers Morgan. 

I just don't like him. 

EDIT: Bonus Points 

0.9. Flat Earthers. 

0.8. When Americans Say They Won Every War They Ever Fought. 

Edited by SGT_Sprocket22, 10 August 2018 - 11:30 AM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9319 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Smartphones.

Tablet PCs.

General idiocy.

Overly loud music.

Junkfood.

MeetriX #3 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24401 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE
1. Lists

Nethraniel #4 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:37 PM

Major

• Player
  • 14564 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Smartphones

Social Media

Alternative facts

Reality soaps

Global stock exchange

gunslingerXXX #5 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13157 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
People whining about things they dont like :P

Jigabachi #6 Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

1. Waste of energy and ressources

Be it food (we produce 1/3 of our daily food for the garbage bin, which is insane) or the cheap plastic chair made in China that breaks when you look at it. We waste WAY too much stuff.

2. People's ignorance and general stupidity and their lack of respect and appreciaction for the things they live on and consume

We "evolved" into something that is so far from our roots that I can't but weep for mankind. Nobody knows or cares where our food comes from or, more generally, what impact every action has on things. That causes so many problems...

I recently had one of "those" discussions about factory farming, animal welfare, soil degradation and such. So many garbage that people spout there, unbelievable. And in reality, if you would kick out those who never saw an actual farm animal, you'd be left with only <10% of the people. And if you would only keep those in who actually killed an animal for food at least once... I would probably talk to myself at the end.

3. The great - and old - dividers in the year 2018

Be it religion, race or whatnot. Sometimes I can't believe why those things still matter in our lifes.

Wait... did I really try to be all honest on a gameforum again! I'm sorry. :ohmy:

4. The lack of reliable soft-ice vendors in my area

Loved to eat them as a child and I even sometimes dream about biting into the tip of vanilla icecream and soft chocolate. Aaaaw... I'd love to have one right now.

5. Fake product test pages

Monetised nonsense, there really isn't anything left you can count on...

Oh... and...

Spoiler

Pansenmann #7 Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36455 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

my top five:

smartphones

netflix

silent electic cars

rental bikes

god

PS: and regarding climate change - well, humanity is on the best way to make this planet uninhabitable for us,

give 5-10 more years and we can't stop a runaway greenhouse effect,

unless "we" as in humanity reduce co2 and other pollution by 100% within a year.

Edited by Pansenmann, 07 August 2018 - 10:26 PM.

SGT_Sprocket22 #8 Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30539 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 07 August 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

1. Waste of energy and ressources

Be it food (we produce 1/3 of our daily food for the garbage bin, which is insane) or the cheap plastic chair made in China that breaks when you look at it. We waste WAY too much stuff.

2. People's ignorance and general stupidity and their lack of respect and appreciaction for the things they live on and consume

We "evolved" into something that is so far from our roots that I can't but weep for mankind. Nobody knows or cares where our food comes from or, more generally, what impact every action has on things. That causes so many problems...

I recently had one of "those" discussions about factory farming, animal welfare, soil degradation and such. So many garbage that people spout there, unbelievable. And in reality, if you would kick out those who never saw an actual farm animal, you'd be left with only <10% of the people. And if you would only keep those in who actually killed an animal for food at least once... I would probably talk to myself at the end.

3. The great - and old - dividers in the year 2018

Be it religion, race or whatnot. Sometimes I can't believe why those things still matter in our lifes.

Wait... did I really try to be all honest on a gameforum again! I'm sorry. :ohmy:

4. The lack of reliable soft-ice vendors in my area

Loved to eat them as a child and I even sometimes dream about biting into the tip of vanilla icecream and soft chocolate. Aaaaw... I'd love to have one right now.

5. Fake product test pages

Monetised nonsense, there really isn't anything left you can count on...

Oh... and...

Spoiler

Actually, climate change, when talking about the Interglacial Period, can be highly unpredictable and erratic. Take for example, the last 2000 years. Studies show that between 100 AD and 1200 AD (referred as the Roman Warm Period and Medieval Warm Period), Europe experienced a period of global warming and then between 14th century and the 19th century (which included a Mini Ice Age), a period of global cooling. The average temperature experienced today are comparable to the average temperatures of the Medieval Warm Period. 

Nishi_Kinuyo #9 Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9319 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostSGT_Sprocket22, on 07 August 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

Actually, climate change, when talking about the Interglacial Period, can be highly unpredictable and erratic. Take for example, the last 2000 years. Studies show that between 100 AD and 1200 AD (referred as the Roman Warm Period and Medieval Warm Period), Europe experienced a period of global warming and then between 14th century and the 19th century (which included a Mini Ice Age), a period of global cooling. The average temperature experienced today are comparable to the average temperatures of the Medieval Warm Period. 

Well, I've been melting this summer, so can we please get another mini ice age again soon?

My regards. :girl:

And yes, I totally forgot about "social" media, guess I could scrap the junkfood one for it.

basin79 #10 Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:50 PM

General

• Player
  • 15455 battles
1) Animal cruelty
2) PC muppets
3) UK "justice" system
4) Brexit negotiations
5) Politicians

SuedKAT #11 Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:27 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well I don't intend to get into an argument with someone over global warming, it's like discussing with someone that think that the earth is flat...

1.) Alarm clocks, be it normal clocks or the ones we set in our phones.

2.) Profiles and logins, to do just about anything I need to setup a profile and a password, heck to get into my own garage I need a freaking smartphone app and a username + password.

3.) Years ago politicians told us we live in a paperless society, we should never again need to use a paper to do anything, tell that to my mailbox that I regularly empty only to fill up the bin.

4.) When I was little we did something called maintenance on stuff and thought ahead, today something needs to go wrong before someone do something, this year my country have been ravaged by huge forest fires, only now politicians feel that it might be an idea to have firemen and equipment enough to fight such things, heck we got loads of governmental choppers that we couldn't use since no one thought that it might be an idea to equip them with a hook.

5.) PC, political correctness and the "soft skin" of people, anyone can get offended by anything these days it seems.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #12 Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21118 battles

View PostSGT_Sprocket22, on 07 August 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

How does natural changes in temperature rule out man made change? If you had to be locked up in a garage with a running car, would you be indifferent whether it has an electric or combustion engine? Why not?

SiliconSidewinder #13 Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:17 AM

General

• Player
  • 29105 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
ah come on guys you aren't really falling for that cheap bait, are you?

SGT_Sprocket22 #14 Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30539 battles

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 08 August 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

How does natural changes in temperature rule out man made change? If you had to be locked up in a garage with a running car, would you be indifferent whether it has an electric or combustion engine? Why not?

​How does natural changes rule out man made change? Because the changes of the present day has happened before. For example, a recent study of carbon dating marine sediments shows that sea surface temperature in the North Atlantic was 1 degrees warmer 1000 years ago during the Medieval Warm Period.     

Evilier_than_Skeletor #15 Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21118 battles

View PostSGT_Sprocket22, on 08 August 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

​How does natural changes rule out man made change? Because the changes of the present day has happened before. For example, a recent study of carbon dating marine sediments shows that sea surface temperature in the North Atlantic was 1 degrees warmer 1000 years ago during the Medieval Warm Period.     

Which doesn't rule out man made change in any way?

Headless_Rooster #16 Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11649 battles
  • [E-VO] E-VO

OK I'll bite :trollface:

The global warming hypothesis fell flat on it's arse when the tropical 'hot spot' failed to materialise. It was the only testable 'prediction' of the hypothesis, it failed. They got their sums wrong.

In fact non of the environemtal predicitions of the last 48 years (when "Earth Day" started in 1970) have come true. Back then of course it was all about the coming Ice age (because Co2) 

SGT_Sprocket22 #17 Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30539 battles

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 08 August 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

Which doesn't rule out man made change in any way?

​I admit that we are not helping things with all the cars and things, however I maintain my point that the climate change we experience now is just another step in an ongoing natural event. Like previously stated, the past 5000 years of human history has seen a constant shift of warming and cooling. The last cooling period started around 1300 and ended around 1850. Our current climate is simply going through another warming period. I mean, it cant all be man made.    

Edited by SGT_Sprocket22, 08 August 2018 - 04:58 PM.

jabster #18 Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12771 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostSGT_Sprocket22, on 08 August 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

​I admit that we are not helping things with all the cars and things, however I maintain my point that the climate change we experience now is just another step in an ongoing natural event. Like previously stated, the past 5000 years of human history has seen a constant shift of warming and cooling. The last cooling period started around 1300 and ended around 1850. Our current climate is simply going through another warming period. I mean, it cant all be man made.    

So how much of it do you think is man made then as you’ve now said that we are not helping things along?

SGT_Sprocket22 #19 Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30539 battles

View Postjabster, on 08 August 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

So how much of it do you think is man made then as you’ve now said that we are not helping things along?

​This isn't a Q&A. I've said what needs to be said. 

By the way, your question makes no sense. 

Edited by SGT_Sprocket22, 08 August 2018 - 06:04 PM.

jabster #20 Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12771 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostSGT_Sprocket22, on 08 August 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

​This isn't a Q&A. I've said what needs to be said. 

By the way, your question makes no sense. 

It makes perfect sense. How much do you think is due to one than the other. You should be able to answer this surely?

Also tagged with off topic, discussion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users