WoT Classic

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Indy_Bones #1 Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:33 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29858 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

For some time now I've been frustrated with the direction that WG have been taking the game, whether it's the constant power creep and introduction of broken/OP tanks, the amount of 'premium' ammo spam, the removal/rework of good maps yet introduction of more and more terrible city based maps, the shocking changes to the MM that makes tier 8 a complete disaster 80% of the time or numerous other issues, WoT is not the same game that I thoroughly enjoyed 4-5 years ago.

It's blindingly obvious that despite the community strongly objecting to all of these areas (and more), WG are unwilling to listen to the feedback from their player base, and instead seem to be focusing purely on blatant money grabs, dumbing down of the game so that poor players can feel special, and pretty much trying to make every map a corridor based mess which focuses only on frontal engagements where each side spams premium ammo at each other until one wins...

What I'd like to suggest is not making ANY changes to the current game whatsoever, we've asked for that before and got nowhere, so I'm coming at this from a different angle. How about WG release WoT Classic?

What's WoT Classic I hear you say?

Simple, it's a re-release of the game from before everything got messed up, based primarily on the 0.8.10 release of WoT, with some minor tweaks and additions along the way.

So what are the potential benefits of doing this?

1. Re-introduction of numerous removed maps (e.g. Port, Dragon's Ridge, Pearl River) and return to most maps main incarnation before WG's dev team decided to mess around with them for 'rebalancing' purposes and utterly destroy half of them. It also means we don't have to put up with the shocking introduction of maps like Stalingrad, Kharkov, Pilsen, Paris and Mittenberg. I personally wouldn't be against having Port, Windstorm or Overlord being added to the list though.

2. Removal of the most overpowered or broken tanks in the tech trees. This means NO Japanese Heavies with their crazy armour and 600HP derp nonsense, NO invisible Swedish TD's putting out silly DPM, NO Object 268 v4 and NO Defender/252U or similar OP premiums, which only wreck tier 8 balance. Clearly some minor changes will need to be made which includes changing the WTE100 to the replacement Grille and keeping the T-50-2 instead of replacing it with the MT-25. This also means we get the VK3601 back to it's original medium place at tier 6 when it was a MUCH better tank to play than the mess it is now, and the T49 (now T67) gets it's improved turret returned to it as well as it's original name back!

3. Re-introduction of actual weak spots! Remember how we actually used to have to put a modicum of effort into learning the abilities and weak areas of the tanks we were facing instead of just dabbing the '2' key? I do, and it was MUCH better than the current mess. Almost all tanks had frontal weak spots, but you had to know where they were, aim for them and have a degree of accuracy to make the shot. This also improved the value of angling and knowing how to protect your own tanks weak points, making it far more strategic and skill based in combat.

4. No more premium ammo for credits. Yes, I know it's a bone of contention that back in early versions that premium ammo was basically pay to win, but the truth is that virtually nobody fired it in randoms (aside from guys in FAME etc.), and it wasn't used that much in CW battles either (against, outside the top clans), due to the cost implications. I'd rather get killed by someone paying real money to kill me once every 50 games, than I would get spammed with the 2 key every bloody match!

5. Return SPG's to their former glory and removal of the stun mechanic that nobody asked for. Arty haters won't really accept anything other than their removal, but most would rather have them as they were in being less accurate but more dangerous on direct hits than the current system which leaves many players getting pounded and stunned ad nauseum until they die.

6. Reversion to the MM system which worked a hell of a lot better than the current template system. Yes, you'd get some unbalanced games, but you weren't spending nearly 70% of your time as bottom tier (unless you only play tier 9/X) either. I'd support a max cap on SPG's to 2 here however, as the old games where you could get 5+ SPG's were just silly.

7. Platoon and CW would again allow you to use tanks a tier +1/-1 if you so wished, but we'd just tweak it so prevent 'troll' platoons (e.g. Maus with Loltraktor). So if I wanted to play with an IS-3 and my platoon mate wanted to bring a Panther we absolutely could, but he couldn't bring an IS-7 or KV-1S to the IS-3 party. Similarly for Clan Wars, there's no reason why a clan shouldn't be allowed to use occasional tier 9 tanks if they wish, and this would allow for use of things like the M53/55 again in CW.

8. The return of 'scout' tanks and scout matchmaking. The extension of the light line to tier X wasn't wanted, wasn't needed, and now in most cases the light tanks are just weaker meds. I used to see players with tanks like the VK2801 cause absolute chaos in games against much tougher opposition with their speed, camo and smaller size, and it would make gameplay more dynamic than the current setup.

9. We get the original accuracy mechanics back. It constantly amazes me how supposedly highly accurate tanks like the Leo 1 can struggle to consistently hit close to where they are aiming, yet fire a KV-2 or Type 5 Heavy from across the map whilst driving at full speed and it's somehow dead accurate! The reversion would force players in tanks with much higher dispersion to actually aim again, and also allows more accurate sniper tanks to do the job they are intended for without having to worry about being constantly snapshot by some guy in an ISU-152 (which gets it's BL-10 back btw).

10. No more 'soapstone' physics on rocks or similar. Ever since the more recent changes to the game engine, tanks are doing some crazy things with the slightest touch on certain surfaces. It's incredibly annoying to have one pixel of your tank hit a rock and suddenly you're either sliding or starting to flip for no apparent reason. I don't know if it's friction settings or similar but it's a mess.

11. Return of the mountain goat. Another sometimes divisive area, but for me it was great to be able to learn some cool places to drive which gave you an interesting position to surprise the enemy. Many places were too complicated or intricate to perform sensibly in random games anyway, and many offered no tactical benefit and it was simply for the fun of it. This would get rid of the horrible invisible walls that WG keep inserting and allow goats to be goats again.

12. No more crazy mods or additions to the base game which make little sense and detract from the overall gameplay. One primary example for me are the markers which show you which direction you've been shot from and by what. This is absolute nonsense, and makes sniping far more dangerous and obvious than it should be, and also there's no way that your tank commander would be able to instantly tell where a shot came from AND identify which type of tank was firing it. I get that this is NOT an accurate tank simulation game, but stuff like this is just bad and gives information that is unnecessary and unfair at times. The same thing goes for identifying different ammo types which hit you – again, more nonsense. Unless you hear a specific hiss or change of sound which indicates a different ammo type, you should have no idea what your opponents are shooting at you.

So that's the potential good points – but what about the drawbacks or things that would be missing?

1. No marks of excellence. These didn't appear until about 6 months after 0.8.10, although I see absolutely no reason they couldn't be added.

2. No stronghold mode with advances etc. This didn't appear until 0.9.2 with the most recent major upgrade in 0.9.17.1, as with MOE, I see no reason this couldn't be added relatively easily.

3. Loss of HD Graphics and updated game engine. Arguably the biggest drawback of them all, yet many of the issues with removal of tank weak spots and inconsistencies with tank models were caused by the HD updates so it's a bit of a double edged sword. I'd personally rather have better gameplay and non-impervious tanks than have things looking nicer.

4. No personal missions. Introduced in 0.9.14, we wouldn't have access to these unless WG were able to add them in.

5. No access to the vehicles that were introduced post 0.8.10 except in specific situations (e.g. WTE being replaced by Grille), which is a shame in some cases, but a necessary evil in many others to prevent the most broken/OP tanks from being used (I'm looking at you Type 5 Heavy).

So with all that in mind – how would the implementation work?

There are two main approaches in terms of the WoT Classic account – start from scratch at tier 1 and ask players to re-grind everything they've potentially already done in WoT, or have a semi-transfer of details meaning that players can just get straight in there using stuff they already own.

I'd favour the latter of the two options, and suggest it would work something like this:

1. Any tanks currently owned on your main WoT account that also exist in WoT Classic will automatically be duplicated and added to the players garage in Classic along with the currently equipped crew. In the rare cases where a tank has changed class or tier, this will automatically be done and the crew automatically re-trained accordingly.

1. Any tanks or modules already researched in the main WoT account will similarly transfer over thus preventing people from having to re-grind tanks they've already researched.

2. Any equipment or consumables that exist in the players depot on their main account that also exist in WoT Classic would be copied across – but to a maximum of 20 each per piece of equipment and 100 each for consumables.

3. Shells will NOT transfer across, this will prevent players from buying a huge stockpile of premium ammo for credits on their main account and simply having it added in WoT classic to bypass the gold requirements when they open the Classic account.

4. Any tanks currently owned in your garage in WoT which do not exist in WoT Classic (e.g. Type 5 Heavy) will be given half the equivalent purchase cost in silver, instead of the tank itself in WoT Classic, so if you had the Type 5, you'd get around 3mil in credits to spend but no Type 5 in the garage.

5. Similar process with XP's, in that you'd receive back 50% of the XP's spent to research tanks which are not in WoT classic to spend as Free XP's instead.

6. Tank stats will NOT carry across, and will exist completely independently of the Main WoT account stats. This means ALL players will start on 0 battles, 0% Win Rate and 0% everything else from a stats perspective, and nothing you do on your Classic account will have any relevance or impact to the stats on your main WoT account.

7. Mods will be allowed as per usual and following basically the same rules as applied to mods in WoT, with some exceptions like the previously mentioned 'hit received markers' which show you where someone has shot you from.

8. Players will be given the option to change their player name just once for free on the initial setup of the Classic account, and also, any account which has gone unused for a period of 2 years will be considered defunct, the account name will become available to any player who wishes to take it on, and whilst the original player can recover their Classic account details, they would have to accept a name change upon recovery due to failing to play for 2 years.

9. Suggestions for necessary improvements and changes would come from a representative group of higher level players appointed to represent the Classic player base, and they could interact with WG in order to request changes, tank additions or map requests. As this may not be a priority for WG, timescales would likely be longer than normal but at least they will be based upon what's good for the gameplay and not the profit margin.

10. Premium accounts will be shared across both versions, much like how WoT shares with WoWs, and as per the tank transfers, any premium tanks which exist in WoT classic would automatically duplicate over from the main WoT account into WoT classic for use there. (which still means no Skorp G, T26E5, 252U etc.), but any new purchases would be version specific, and new premium introductions would have to be agreed by the aforementioned representative group before being available for purchase in the Classic premium shop/tech tree. All premium tanks that were available for purchase as of the 0.8.10 release will always be available for purchase going forwards.

11. All game modes outside of random battles will again be separate from their main WoT counterparts. So the global map would be completely separate and clans who wish to participate in both will need numerous teams to do so, which helps promote good activity and opportunities across both versions, and if Stronghold mode was included, any boxes earned would be purely for use in WoT classic and non-transferable to the main WoT account.

So that's it in a nutshell, I'm sure there's plenty more details that could (and probably should) be covered before the idea got off the ground, but in my mind this fixes pretty much every issue I've had with the game over the past few years, would cost WG very little in terms of financial cost and manpower to setup, whilst technically giving them an additional revenue stream and also a permanent theoretical test server where feedback from the players makes changes happen, and not a marketing or finance department instead.

I'd appreciate the thoughts and feedback of the community on this idea, and if you like it – great, if you don't like it – fair enough, but please try to keep responses civil and with some substance and reasoning behind them as replies like “Rubbish Idea” would help no-one and we wouldn't know why you didn't like the suggestions.

Cheers

Indy.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66275 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Well, the question is if they did this... Is how many would play that vs the newest version. And would it be enough vs the effort for WG to do this and upkeep for it?  

Indy_Bones #3 Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29858 battles
  • [WHO] WHO
In terms of upkeep, all they'd really be doing is providing a couple of servers as any requested changes or updates would be at their convenience.

FirePikachu #4 Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4741 battles
  • [SC10N] SC10N

We are already losing a lot of people on a monthly basis, and having a second type of game would just end it all permanently.

Now the fixes for this current games are simple, I don't know if you have been monitoring the Q&A with the devs, but the premium ammo at this point is still half done, they removed it for gold purchase so they can work on rebalance of the shells.

I agree that the new tanks they bring are OP, and I think they are force OP-ing them so players would waste time grinding them, that's a TERRIBLE WAY TO DO BUSINESS!!! The RNG in this game is a JOKE! i have a S. Conqueror and in one game i fire 10 shells in a row at a medium tank 300 meters away, and all 10 shells go in the same spot 10 meters in the ground before reaching the tank i was shooting at, and than while driving a kv-2 or the Japanese heavy tanks i random shoot while moving and do a direct hit at 300 meters... sorry but that should not happen every few games.. maybe once in 50 games...

Some of the old maps were great, maybe in need of a few tweaks, but from what i heard they fired all of the devs that were working on it, and now we have the crapmaps like Paris...

Physics in this game is another thing... WG brags like crazy about it, and as you say one single rock can make your 20t scout turn over like it was a dirtbike... GUYS WAKE UP! i've seen too many times a tank that has 70 or more tons that turns over on the side because of a fcking wooden house or a small ridge...

Matchmaking, a thorn in everyone's side... IT'S AN EASY FIX! stop forcing your dumb +2 tier MM so that your twitch comrades can get decent games, and make it +1 only... Every time people suggest it you dont even think about it... dont tell us it wont work unless YOU PUT IT ON SUPER TEST! lazy bunch...

WG knows exactly what we mean, few months ago people found out that if you platoon solo, in 99% of games you played you were top tier, and it took a minor patch to fix it, so we know it was intentional so your twitchnoobs could get better games and popularity would go up, while in reality they suck hard...

Arty is.... I dont know... I didnt like the previous ones because of the random 1 hit kills from people who had 100 wn8 and a lucky rng shot, and i dont like it or dislike it for now either, i still think it could be improved..

MODS... SHOULD ALL BE BANNED! PERIOD! i'm fed up with wn8 stat padders and stat wh0rs... who sit in the back waiting for the enemy team to kill the rest of the team so they can brag they did 3k dmg... WHO CARES!

We know you guys want us to have as much tanks as possible, but at this point heavy tanks are useless, lights and swedish tds are invisible up to 50 meters (i'm fking sorry but if you fire a shell at 50 metters I'M GONNA SEE YOU IN REAL LIFE!), stop making derp guns on tanks that dont need them, stop making invisible tanks, and for gods sake, stop making premium OP tanks!

Edited by FirePikachu, 11 August 2018 - 11:00 AM.

gunslingerXXX #5 Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:06 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 11034 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Sounds good, but I expect major que times.

Also, would you expect us to start the grind all over? Or same unlocked as in current game. Will get boring as well when you already have all tanks, and no further objectives  I think

SevernaSnaga #6 Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2247 battles
  • [BZVZ] BZVZ
Sounds good, doesn't work

Emeraldweed #7 Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10427 battles
  • [-322-] -322-
Is this the WG's forums or Blizzards?

Edited by Emeraldweed, 11 August 2018 - 11:32 AM.

GingerMensch #8 Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3501 battles

Brilliant, one of the best ideas I have read on here in a long time. Don’t mind the Naysayers, half of them didnt even play back then.

I wouldn’t mind the queue times too much....I normally play on NA.. lol

FirePikachu #9 Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4741 battles
  • [SC10N] SC10N

View PostGingerMensch, on 11 August 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

Brilliant, one of the best ideas I have read on here in a long time. Don’t mind the Naysayers, half of them didnt even play back then.

I wouldn’t mind the queue times too much....I normally play on NA.. lol

dont let my member date misguide you, i've been playing since closed beta, in the "classic" days when only 2 nations existed in the game and when KV fought against Maus, the "classic" thing people usually want is the good old days where things were more simple... but i can tell you right now that maybe 100 people would play it because how bad it would be compared to the new game

Edited by FirePikachu, 11 August 2018 - 11:45 AM.

GingerMensch #10 Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3501 battles

View PostFirePikachu, on 11 August 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

dont let my member date misguide you, i've been playing since closed beta, in the "classic" days when only 2 nations existed in the game and when KV fought against Maus, the "classic" thing people usually want is the good old days where things were more simple... but i can tell you right now that maybe 100 people would play it because how bad it would be compared to the new game

Well he is not talking about that far back, 8.10 is when the French line appeared, you might get bored but you don’t speak for all on this forum so er..no.

FirePikachu #11 Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4741 battles
  • [SC10N] SC10N

View PostGingerMensch, on 11 August 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Well he is not talking about that far back, 8.10 is when the French line appeared, you might get bored but you don’t speak for all on this forum so er..no.

i never said i did, neither does he or do you, so when someone says "dont listen to others" i step up and shut their mouth...

The point this game started going down hill was autoloader system... but the point where it went to hell and people started leaving was when customer support started threatening everyone who claimed people use hacks or aimbots... my clannie was told by customer support that he would be permanently banned if he made another claim about in game bots or cheats...

Edited by FirePikachu, 11 August 2018 - 11:53 AM.

Indy_Bones #12 Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29858 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

View PostGingerMensch, on 11 August 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Just to clarify, the French tanks came in 0.7.1, with the TD's and SPG's in 0.7.4 so well before 0.8.10, the new line at that point was the Japanese Meds.

thedab #13 Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 44721 battles
and we have 5 arty a side,just like the old days,cool.

jack_timber #14 Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33432 battles
The good old days but we're they really that good?

malachi6 #15 Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:12 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 49911 battles
Rose tinted glasses. The best glasses.  Remember when it was fun to burn witches at the stake?  How we laughed.

Indy_Bones #16 Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29858 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

View Postthedab, on 11 August 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

and we have 5 arty a side,just like the old days,cool.

I clearly said that I'd suggest a cap of 2 per side...

Indy_Bones #17 Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29858 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

View Postjack_timber, on 11 August 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

The good old days but we're they really that good?

For me they were, I didn't have to spam premium ammo at overpowered tanks with impenetrable frontal armour, there were far more maps and they were better, new premiums didn't totally outclass the existing tanks and I didn't hit a Maus with an SPG only to do 20 damage...

Robbie_T #18 Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16334 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
So world of Warcraft this topic

Isharial #19 Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19778 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

if you want the old wot, you accept the old wot.. not something that cherry picks the good and no bad bits..

why split the community for essentially 20 players and their hatred for arty, that were in all fairness worse back then than they are now? whats the point?

all we end up with is 2 games with 10k players on, far longer waiting times for both games and mass selling of premium tanks to then upkeep both? 

I don't know about you, but I think 1 solid roof is better than 2 leaking ones....

edited because of silly autocorrect

Edited by Isharial, 11 August 2018 - 02:48 PM.

douglarse #20 Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 57735 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

Basically Arty player wants to go back to less City maps and regular 1 shot kills.....

Oh and I don't want prem ammo fired at me either....

All they really need to do is get rid of 3/5/7 MM and the game becomes instantly better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users