Your favorite Axis generals/officers?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

NOR_Leopard_2A7 #1 Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9336 battles

What is your favorite wartime Axis general or officer who fought during the Second World War? It can be a general, an admiral or any officer or soldier who you think showed courage, bravery, tactical or strategic excellence, or any other important factor.

Mine are:

GERMANY

ITALY

JAPAN

Post your favorites down below!

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9049 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Nishi Takeichi and Horthy Miklós. :girl:

Just because you're allied to Nazi Germany doesn't mean you have to screw over the Jews:

It wasn't until after Miklós was deposed that the hungarian Jews were being sent to death camps.

While Japan actually provided a safe shelter to Jews who made it to Japan, China, and Manchuria.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 17 August 2018 - 05:39 PM.

NOR_Leopard_2A7 #3 Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9336 battles
This thread wasn't really to be about the Jews, but ok.

Jigabachi #4 Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Does one collect those like Pokemons? :mellow:

And can we also name some psychopaths or terrorists? Do we sort by killcount?

Quite serious jokes aside: Personally, I find that kind of worshipping quite disgusting. After all, we are talking about people who murdered lots of other people. I'd rather start collecting stamps before wasting a thought on who my favorite WW2 general is...

Nishi_Kinuyo #5 Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9049 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostNOR_Leopard_2A7, on 17 August 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

This thread wasn't really to be about the Jews, but ok.

Was more of a pre-emptive counterpoint towards possible trolls wanting to call us anti-semitists or nazis or some such by pointing out that not all axis generals/officers/etc. were anti-semitic; some just happened to have ended up on the wrong side of the war.

Dorander #6 Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 17 August 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

Was more of a pre-emptive counterpoint towards possible trolls wanting to call us anti-semitists or nazis or some such by pointing out that not all axis generals/officers/etc. were anti-semitic; some just happened to have ended up on the wrong side of the war.

I'm not sure the concept of "I'm not guilty of genocide when I'm not participating but only supporting my friend who's committing genocide" actually works. Anyways, we've already had two threads about the supposed nice Nazis.

My memory of history lessons is a bit hazy but were the Japanese actually allied to Germany or were they simply considered de facto allies because they shared an enemy, as Japan used the fact that the USA was a bit distracted in order to launch a first strike? My memory tells me it's the second.

Babbet_1 #7 Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13928 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Well, there's a lot of things we could all say about our former enemies, but let's just leave the past in the past, shall we guys? Otherwise this could turn really ugly!  :sceptic:

SiliconSidewinder #8 Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:37 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29050 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Rommel, for what he did in WWI. the man was a bloody hero, leading his men allways from the front.

Kinda sad it took politics to kill him.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #9 Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25937 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Here's a couple more thread titles you may want to explore....

Who is your favourite mass murderer ?

Who is your favourite terrorist ?

Who is your favourite sexual deviant ?

Nishi_Kinuyo #10 Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9049 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostDorander, on 17 August 2018 - 10:29 PM, said:

I'm not sure the concept of "I'm not guilty of genocide when I'm not participating but only supporting my friend who's committing genocide" actually works. Anyways, we've already had two threads about the supposed nice Nazis.

My memory of history lessons is a bit hazy but were the Japanese actually allied to Germany or were they simply considered de facto allies because they shared an enemy, as Japan used the fact that the USA was a bit distracted in order to launch a first strike? My memory tells me it's the second.

The first probably doesn't belong in this thread, the second maybe not either but at least it won't stir a hornet's nest if we do.

German-Japanese relations were... varied.

Starting off after the Meiji Restoration, Japan modeled itself in various aspects after the German Empire, only to abandon and turn against them in World War One (Siege of Qingdao), only to turn back to co-operation after the war ended.

Including the sharing of many technologies, which allowed Japan to have, for example, rocket- and jet-powered aircraft prototypes, while allowing Germany to design and build aircraft carriers (although the Graf Zappelin was never finished).

https://en.wikipedia...r_II_(1920–1945)

https://en.wikipedia...re_World_War_II

After World War Two, they again had an economical co-operation, which allowed both economies to bloom at a far higher rate than the (former) allies had expected and eventually led to the formation of the G6(7(8)).

NOR_Leopard_2A7 #11 Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9336 battles

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 18 August 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

Here's a couple more thread titles you may want to explore....

Who is your favourite mass murderer ?

Who is your favourite terrorist ?

Who is your favourite sexual deviant ?

If I wanted that, I'd just start a thread about American presidents or communist dictators.

View PostSiliconSidewinder, on 18 August 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

Rommel, for what he did in WWI. the man was a bloody hero, leading his men allways from the front.

Kinda sad it took politics to kill him.

Agreed, it's the commanders who stay with their men who gets my respect.

cragarion #12 Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44832 battles

About the only Axis officer i had any respect for was Rommel,

he went out of his way to make sure his prisoners were well treated and troops under his command followed the rules of war and the Geneva convention,

he even went against the SS and the gestapo when they tried to take some of his prisoners away.

Killer711 #13 Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3008 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Don't mention the war! I've done it once, but I think I've gotten away with it.

Edited by Killer711, 19 August 2018 - 01:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users