• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

Sfinski #1 Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31728 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

POPULAR

Spotted this experiment posted in SPG thread, but as it is more of a XVM issue, I thought it could need its own thread for more awareness.

Posted to Reddit originally by WardJumpForJesus. (Thanks for the efforts)

https://www.reddit.c...cus_experiment/

There is much animosity in the community over the topic of being focused due to XVM statistics. People of average or sub-average stats tend to say it is not an issue, yet people with above average or unicum level statistics swear there is a difference and the focus is unbearable at times.

Many people chalk this up to confirmation bias and/or play style differences between the unskilled and skilled players, i.e. better players take more upfront positions and are lit more often, taking the brunt of focus etc. Since it is hard to identify weather or not a normal tank is focusing you due to XVM, i decided to try to QUANTIFY the difference in arty focus using two different accounts with vastly different account overall statistics.

I decided to count the amount of times our vehicle was stunned over the course of 1000 battles on both accounts. I also decided to not count the arty hits i took when in close proximity to arty, as in actively in their face shooting them, because that would not constitute focus, it would be the clicker trying to defend itself.

To start I played 1000 games on my first account, ~2500 overall WN8 59% WR, spread out between tier 8 and 10. In those 1000 battles:

• 357 battles had 3 arty per side

• 342 battles had 2 arty per side

• 161 battles had 1 arty per side

• 140 battles had 0 arty per side

In those 1000 battles i was stunned a total of 622 times.

This is where it gets interesting, to keep the two trials as close as possible, I continued to only play medium tanks when I switched over a to a ~200 WN8, 42% account that was my "younger brother's" account cough cough. I played a normal spread between tier 8 and 10 again. In those 1000 battles:

• 401 games had 3 arty per side

• 276 games had 2 arty per side

• 154 games had 1 arty per side

• 169 games had 0 arty per side

I was stunned a total of 104 times across 1000 battles.

This drastically reduced focus came with ZERO change in play style, and in fact I found myself able to get away with more reckless plays that would be severely punished on my main. I could sit spotted in a paper tank continuously firing in a tier 10 and the tier 8 next to me would be bombarded repeatedly. now what I just mentioned could be seen as confirmation bias itself, but the numbers don't lie in this situation.

I never had more fun in world of tanks than when I finally didn't feel like some highly skilled dynamic gameplay dispensers had it out for me every game. I know it's a pipe dream, but XVM has no place in this game and only promotes toxicity and allows an easy avenue for trolls to do what they do best, ruining other players experiences.

P.S. fuk arta

edit1: both accounts were clanless and on NA server.

So, both the XVM and arty are big issues, but together they clearly are a griefers dream. Could mods actually confirm somehow, that WG has acknowledged this issue for real? (Yeah, I know, false hope, but still manage to have some hope left...)

Edited by Sfinski, 17 August 2018 - 07:51 PM.

BKatt #2 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33033 battles
  • [-LYNX] -LYNX
This is very much my experience with xvm focus aswell.

The_Georgian_One #3 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36761 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN
No surprises at all. Thanks for posting. This is why I keep most of my UC reports for arty players. 

Edited by The_Georgian_One, 17 August 2018 - 08:09 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #4 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47313 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Once every 10 battle?! Damn.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #5 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24565 battles

'Weather', 'clicker', 'fuk arta...'

Tells me all I need to know about this thread, and how to treat it as such.

Desyatnik_Pansy #6 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16440 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 17 August 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

You're just gonna nitpick those parts and not actually care at all about the result of his experiment?

Sfinski #7 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31728 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 17 August 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

Yes, ignore the facts and focus on trivialities...

ripfactory #8 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:22 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 251 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 17 August 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

You're just gonna nitpick those parts and not actually care at all about the result of his experiment?

sure thing

Element6 #9 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29305 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Block Quote

I never had more fun in world of tanks than when I finally didn't feel like some highly skilled dynamic gameplay dispensers had it out for me every game.

Seems to me only one of them is a big issue, while the other is actually not that much of a deal by comparison. Remove one and the fun reappears.

LordMuffin #10 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48242 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
Hardly surprising at all.

Pansenmann #11 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34137 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I have set XVM to display the WG rating instead of wn8

things look very bland then :)

on topic: when someone resorts to (personal) insults he/she disqualified for any further discussion.

Sfinski #12 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:39 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31728 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostPansenmann, on 17 August 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

I have set XVM to display the WG rating instead of wn8

things look very bland then :)

on topic: when someone resorts to (personal) insults he/she disqualified for any further discussion.

The topic isn't any insults by someone who isn't even present on this thread, the topic is what the title says. So why focus on something that has nothing to do with the issue?

OIias_of_Sunhillow #13 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24565 battles

Anybody can make stuff up and post it to the internet, and call them facts.

Here's an experiment I did;.

There is such animosity in the WoT community about XVM suicides at the start of battle.

So I did an experiment.

Out of 259 games played in tiers 3-6, 39 players said at the start of battle, "20% win chance, I'm off" And then promptly suicided.

Out of 375 games played in tiers 7-10, 112 players at the start of battle, said, "21% win chance, I'm off". And then promptly suicided.

With these undoubtedly factual results, I can conclude XVM is bad for the game,

fuk xvm.

See how it works. If you already have an agenda, you can make up all kinds of nonsense to suit your needs.

KillingJoker #14 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33348 battles
  • [-EXC-] -EXC-

Nice work! WG should actually take this to consideration ratter than always saying "we are collecting data yada yada" and then decide nothing or take ages to decide something

I am going to put things very simple into perspective, arty is the cancer of world of tanks, every time there are 2 arties or more in one match, my chances of survival drop 30/40%

as i use to receive 2 or 3 arty shots average per game, i tend to play more heavy tanks, but even when i play mediums its not an uncommon experience to see the arties fail to hit me just after i get spoted in the beggining of games...

meaning that in games where statistically i am among the best or top tier as best, or drastically better than other players in my team, i notice a lot of arty focus...

Obviously not only arty x3 is still a problem, as XVM should be removed in my opinion because it does impact the game negatively in many ways, like people suiciding because they don't believe the red players in their team will win, or because the enemy have very good players, etc etc, platoons without playing arty also focus best players or try to do silly yolos when they see a player statistically much superior to their own stats, so they can run saying to their friends they killed guy Y or X once etc etc...

I stopped using xvm about 1 year ago and i did it because ignorance is a bliss, trust me, you won't feel depressed anymore you enter a tier X game and you just see redish players in one side and purple, blue green on the other, when that happened to me using XVM it had not only a negative and demotivating effect, it also influenced negatively the way i planed my strategy for the game, and i just realized i don't need xvm, and i actually play better without being focus on who is good or bad in my team or in the enemy team...  

Today i just look at game marks or clan tagh's to see if one player is more or less reliable, other than that i just enjoy the game, everyone should do the same.

But remove XVM for once!

malaquey #15 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30205 battles

Although both spread toxicity in this game but when you combine the two, it's one, if not the most toxic thing I have ever seen in a game.

A pleb in type 5 is not that big of a deal but when they have the ability to click you no matter where you're on the map is really taking the piss.

I am glad I don't have to suffer anymore as I am done playing with this game.

it's also crazy how 38% of those matches consisted of 3 arty per side.

Edited by malaquey, 17 August 2018 - 08:59 PM.

Bennie182 #16 Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53739 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
pretty clear... I just played with the commander of my clan. he's got 60% almost and we pushed 1 side on Murovanka. all battle he got focussed down in his Revalorisé. not 1 arty on me, while I played STA-1, both papertanks.

Jigabachi #17 Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17935 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Not sure if I can believe that, that looks rather extreme.

But either way, I couldn't care less. When XVM started to become a thing, people laughed at me and called me a noob and whatnot when I stated that XVM is an unfair cheatmod, that it brings lots of problems and that it should get removed right away. But no, they liked their tool and it was all ok.

Now the ones who once were the victims of said mod dared to fight back and to use it, too... and hell breaks lose.

Nishi_Kinuyo #18 Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7736 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 17 August 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

No surprises at all. Thanks for posting. This is why I keep most of my UC reports for arty players. 

I like getting shot by arta as much as the next guy, but I think you're going too far by reporting them just for playing the game.

Even if they do focus you. It is part of the game.

Also, yet another arta whine thread. Wah. Wah. Arta shot me. :rolleyes:

HaZardeur #19 Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33473 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 17 August 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Even if they do focus you. It is part of the game.

And here you are wrong... it ( XVM ) is not part of the game.

Balc0ra #20 Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66298 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Even if they removed XVM. This won't go away for some. Streamers will be targeted regardless once spotted. And same with some clans. As some clan tags are more known then others.

What the test doesn't mention is what clan tag his main has. And if the 2nd account even had the same one. As if his main is in a known clan, it might be part of the focus alone. Take EU for instance and anyone from Fame. If they play ramdoms, you don't need XVM to know he might be more skilled then the rest, and thus they tend to get focused more. If the same player left Fame and played without the tag for a bit. I suspect the focus would drop, even if it was not even by half. So for some an XVM removal might reduce it. For others... less so. And he did not mention what clan if any he was in. As if he left his clan if it's a known one. He hits will still be higher vs the 2nd one, but I suspect it will be less. Same if Circon left his clan and changed his name for a day. Then it's XVM focus.. not Circon focus. 

Tho in a Q&A on NA recently. They said there were no plans to hide clan tags as an option. As that would help some more then others with this. 

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 17 August 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

I got PM's from guys like you more or less everytime I played arty for PM's. And got reported for playing arty and focusing. I don't even have XVM installed. Most of them were just hit because they were more exposed than the rest. Or because he was the only one spotted when my reload was done. But because his ego is bigger than the caliber of his gun... And his XVM told him he was the "best" on their team. Ofc anyone that hits them will "focus". It goes both ways tbh. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 17 August 2018 - 09:58 PM.

Also tagged with XVM, arty, focus, sucks, for, real

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users