Tactics....

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

NoobySkooby #1 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 12168 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

Seems I have run dry on all tactics, whichever tank I am in whichever way i move, nothing works, obviously you cannot blame the campers, the got to be happy right?

most maps are corridor maps, so..

Big slow heavy, you get sand river, a map easily as bad as paris

Arty you get a city map or your team camps and no scouting

TD's again city maps

Lights [edited]knows, yolo suicide spot, try to do damage and Die

Mediums a weird sort of fun, fast way to die.

So all you old sweats, your tips and advice please for a successful accession to unicom hood

BR33K1_PAWAH #2 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3186 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I somehow failed to grasp message of this topic :amazed:

cragarion #3 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:30 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 43833 battles

Best tactic ever,

Step one: all charge the same way,

step two: everyone stop and hide the second you see the first enemy tank even though you completely outnumber them,

step three: get wiped out by 1/2 the enemy team,

step four: lose the battle in under 4 minutes,

step five: start a new battle and repeat from step one.

This has to be the best tactic in the game because they have been doing it for 8 years without change.

Edited by cragarion, 22 August 2018 - 09:31 PM.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #4 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:32 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24383 battles

If I get a city map when in a TD, I tag along with the mediums.

Actually, in my '704, I pretty much tag along just behind anyone that doesn't go up a hill.

Arty in most city maps, you can deliver some devastating shells, with a bit of, 'unusual', location positioning. 

Except Paris, that's just bollox.

Can't say I can help much with, big slow and heavy. I don't have any. But I can tell you what not to do.

Don't take the short route. Don't stop and take pot-shots at the speedy scout. Don't camp in base.

Lights, and meds, I'm not terribly good at, so I'll let others better than I comment on those.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #5 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48906 battles
  • [RU18] RU18
pick a map and a tank!

OIias_of_Sunhillow #6 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:38 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24383 battles

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 22 August 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

pick a map and a tank!

Kinda wished WoT worked that way. 

Map ? Province.

Vehicle ? M53M55

BATTLE.

NoobySkooby #7 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 12168 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 22 August 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

pick a map and a tank!

Well that's a good start except  the maps are in rotation

XxKuzkina_MatxX #8 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48906 battles
  • [RU18] RU18

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 22 August 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

Kinda wished WoT worked that way. 

Map ? Province.

Vehicle ? M53M55

BATTLE.

I never played a single game in arty, sorry! :)

NoobySkooby #9 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 12168 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

Type 4...... or insert any slow superheavy, Tog Any big cumbersome jap, Churchill, even the good old aunt Matilda

Sand River

battle :D

XxKuzkina_MatxX #10 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48906 battles
  • [RU18] RU18

View PostNoobySkooby, on 22 August 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

Type 4...... or insert any slow superheavy, Tog Any big cumbersome jap, Churchill, even the good old aunt Matilda

Sand River

battle :D

Type 4/5 have limited options on this map and a lot of other maps (Glacier for example).

For a standard battle: you can go to G5/6 based on your spawn. Watch the k line and make sure you have meds/lights there because if your team abandon that part you'll be shot in the side from k5/6.

If your meds/lights decide to go north make sure you stay back in your heavy, around the G7 area.

If there is no arty in the battle you can do stupid stuff like going on the k line up to k4, shooting the middle and spotting enemy at k2/J2. Will be a nice surprise and works well for tanks with good gun depression. :)

For encounter battle: most of the battle happens in the north so D6/D7 area. You can also be sneaky, take the ridge at G5 and shoot at their sides at D6/E5. Assuming you have meds/lights going to the k line.

If you're playing the ridge at D6/D7 stay close to the ridge for arty cover. Move back enough and you will be open for arty.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 22 August 2018 - 10:02 PM.

SuedKAT #11 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

There really ain't a tactic you can apply at every situation, there are so many variables that dictate what I end up going for that it's almost impossible to predict just knowing what tank I'm in and on what map. Sure there are good positions and general tactics that work most of the time, take mines as an example, winning hill is almost always essential if you want to win, but depending on your teams lineup in combination with what the enemy have you might just be throwing your tank away rushing there.

The word that comes to mind is adapt, you need to look at the entire picture, what tank you're in, what map it is, what position that you can utilize and which one you can't (arty largely comes into play here), what opposition you most likely will run into if you go to that specific location and so on. Then if you took all that into consideration you then need to yet again adapt to how the situation played out, did the enemy deploy as you expected, most likely some did and some didn't. Blindly following a tactic, going to the same spot every match is a mistake, but it's at least a start and over time you hopefully learn what works and what don't. 

Edit: Another thing that I forgot to mention, a class is just that, a class, a Medium Tank is a class and nothing more, an AMX CDC is a very different tank to an Super Pershing, playing them the same way just since there is an "MT tactic" or "MT spot" on a certain map will not do you any favors, same goes for all other classes apart from Arty pretty much.

Edited by SuedKAT, 22 August 2018 - 09:53 PM.

Jigabachi #12 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Take a Sharpie and mark your WASD keys. That way you don't have to waste that much time finding them on your keyboard.

Note down your assignment of keys on a piece of paper and tape it to your screen:

W - Forwards

A - Left

S - Back

D - Right

Left Mouse - Shoot

If you got that, we can continue with level two - telling the front of your tank from its back. This might be a little more complex...

WindSplitter1 #13 Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:55 PM

Major

• Player
  • 15754 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 22 August 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

I somehow failed to grasp message of this topic :amazed:

In short: maps don't offer any variety of gameplay for vehicle classes that do not rely on heavy armour to be successful, despite his comments on HTs getting into open maps.
20:56 Added after 0 minutes

View PostJigabachi, on 22 August 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

Take a Sharpie and mark your WASD keys. That way you don't have to waste that much time finding them on your keyboard.

Note down your assignment of keys on a piece of paper and tape it to your screen:

W - Forwards

A - Left

S - Back

D - Right

Left Mouse - Shoot

If you got that, we can continue with level two - telling the front of your tank from its back. This might be a little more complex...

What if he uses keyboard arrows, tho?

Swim_Swim #14 Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4355 battles
28% hitrate? And only 15% of battles survived,about 40% winrate? Not to mention that average damage is 260, at tier 8? you really should learn the basics first, also suggest to go for lower tiers at least until you gain enough xp.

Solstad1069 #15 Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40817 battles

Nooby Skooby can you just please find someone willing to platoon with you.

Btw grind several lines up to tier 5 and 6, it wont take long and you learn a lot on the way.

Finally, try to live longer, you dont HAVE to be the first one spotted.

Bigtime_Alarm #16 Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18023 battles

here are the usual tactics for WOT

for scouts

1 drive forward, press WASD in any order it makes no difference really (advanced players try not to hit the scenery)

2 get shot in tracks then ammo then tracks again then catch fire and die

3 sixth sense goes off

4 no enemy is spotted

For heavies

1 drive slowly forward

2 find a corridor

3 get hit by arty despite large rocks or buildings all around

4 watch your carefully aimed shots bounce off the weakspots of the enemy or miss completely 

5 discover that due a small mistake at the factory your tank has armour made of butter instead of steel

6 die 

For TDs

1 drive slowly forward

2 find a bush and hide without being spotted

3 get hit by arty

4 get hit by enemy tanks who guess which bush you are in and exactly where you tracks and ammo rack are

5 die

6 sixth sense never goes off, no enemy is spotted

For arty

1 drive slowly backward

2 hide

3 switch to sky view mode

4 see lots of enemies

5 aim at them

6 as you fire watch them drive away

7 or watch your shell go to the edge of the aim circle

8 watch enemy arty laser target your team until they are all dead

9 watch enemy light rush towards you

10 miss him at point blank

11 die

For mediums

1 drive forward, press WASD in any order it makes no difference really (advanced players try not to hit the scenery)

2 encounter the enemy unexpectedly

3 3 enemy tanks instantly snapshot your tracks and ammo

4 you snapshot and miss

5 the enemy has reloaded and kills you

6 sixth sense goes off

I hope that is all clear now.

TungstenHitman #17 Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:03 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21504 battles

Simple, I just took a look at your tanks and battles. Around a third of all you battles ever played were at tier8, so... that's a tough tier the best of times really since you get the same ol +2 mm treatment only the gaps in performance between tiers become much more dramatic from tier8 to 10 imo so it's much harder for a tier8 to carry as bottom tier as for a lower tier tank to carry as bottom tier imo therefore if you have a team of top tier knuckle scrappers and window lickers, which is most often the case in randoms, you are going to find it almost impossible to carry and wash away the huge amounts of top tier HP before you melting team all dies, assuming you can even pen the bloody things... and that's with gold!

Your most played and successful tanks are the tier4 and both tier5 Matilda's,  your tier5 Churchie 3 and... even though I really hate clickers, your tier7 M12 is really good at 53.4% with an Ace so, my advice to you would be forget that toxic shi*fest that is tier8 and stick to your 3 Matilda's and that Churchie you have, you will have way more fun on average and also you will no doubt carry a few battles with them too with the troll armor as top tier lol(I think troll armor vs tier3?)

NoobySkooby #18 Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:24 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 12168 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostJigabachi, on 22 August 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

W - Forwards

A - Left

S - Back

D - Right

Left Mouse - Shoot

Yeah that is always a problem with the ELC EVEN 90, so many time i press W and go backwards, lol but thanks for the advice, heeded and done thank you.
23:29 Added after 4 minutes

View PostSolstad1069, on 22 August 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

Nooby Skooby can you just please find someone willing to platoon with you.

Btw grind several lines up to tier 5 and 6, it wont take long and you learn a lot on the way.

Finally, try to live longer, you dont HAVE to be the first one spotted.

Oddly enough there are those who do platoon with me, and they are good players too, but the problem I really have is that I go right into the thick of things especially in my heavies. I find support roles really difficult as if you are not where others think you should be then you are a camper, a type of player I hate more than arty players
23:30 Added after 5 minutes

View PostCharlottePartheney, on 22 August 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

28% hitrate? And only 15% of battles survived,about 40% winrate? Not to mention that average damage is 260, at tier 8? you really should learn the basics first, also suggest to go for lower tiers at least until you gain enough xp.

Enough xp for what, have anything in mind? I will try my tier 6 meds though, maybe my trusty Matilda's but anything lower frankly is boring. As it is I jump from tier to tier especially if I am in a toon with folk, don't know if this is what you guys do but we take it in turns to pick tanks, that why one game can be tier 9, the other tier 5, tank choice is a random as the battles.
23:33 Added after 8 minutes

View PostWindSplitter1, on 22 August 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

In short: maps don't offer any variety of gameplay for vehicle classes that do not rely on heavy armour to be successful, despite his comments on HTs getting into open maps.
20:56 Added after 0 minutes

What if he uses keyboard arrows, tho?

Hey i never thought of that, lol thanks for the tip

Edited by NoobySkooby, 23 August 2018 - 12:32 AM.

catatpillar #19 Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19452 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 22 August 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

Big slow heavy, you get sand river, a map easily as bad as paris

Arty you get a city map

My WoT experience exactly in a nutshell.

Ps. This meta isn't about camping. The active team wins. I won camping game yesterday and i was actually surprised to see a win, haven't seen game won by camping in ages.

Ups, i just took a brief look over your stats and some of the vehicles you played. I strongly reccomend you to start watching videos in youtube, listen to what pro players can teach you on how to improve your gameplay. 

Forget tier ten tanks for now and focus on your 5-6 tiers. You perform better in arty i saw, maybe you enjoy that supportive type of play. Do the same with rest of your tanks, pick a teammate or group of teammates and be their backup. Learn weak spots on most of the tanks (usually lower plates and hatches). Don't go solo or yolo. Keep an eye at the mini-map and think how can you help best in order to win.

Not like some of my first games where i thought queue for battle and just be afk means free xp, yeeey.

Good luck on the battlefield!

Edited by catatpillar, 23 August 2018 - 05:37 AM.

malachi6 #20 Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:26 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 49624 battles

Pick a tank, get a map.  Do your best.

Can't cope?  Pick another game.

Simples.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users