The long standing War of SPGs is over. (I/III)

for me at least

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

WindSplitter1 #1 Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16596 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

First off:

• SPGs are my LEAST played class and LTs are my MOST player class, so don't call me "arty player" when I drive the class responsible for the greatest amount of SPG kills and its natural enemy
  • I like SPGs as I like all other 4 classes. I just happen to have a preference for some over others and loathe ones more than others
  • I run XVM when playing clicker. As I do when playing all other classes. No, that doesn't make me a grudge-player. Grudge-playing unicums/bots is almost as useless as counter-battery outside Mines
  • So what if I play SPGs? That doesn't mean I play them to inflate my stats. My stats show the exact opposite.

It's quite sad there are no more SPG in the works, or at least revising some lines. For example:

• coming from the M55 (mobile, good selection of guns, appropriate reload, can play as TD, turret) to the T92 (slow, long reload, no turret) feels like a huge downgrade, in my opinion.
  • GW E 100 seems like the second worst Tier X SPG
  • Obj. 261 only has reload and mobility going for it
  • B-C 155 58 could be played like a medium tank (Successfully tried it in CTS), but the poor view range makes it suicidal
  • CGC... *crickets chirping*

In short, current SPGs are almost as stale as the game itself. No new mechanics, apart from stunning, which have nothing to do with the platform itself (AR for Italians, Siege for Swedish) or any unique features.

This does make playing SPGs quite boring, over long periods of time. I suspect that's why some players don't play them outside missions and other grinds, as other vehicles have more interesting functionalities.

Shooting over cover is a feature of itself, but... that is what the class it's supposed to do. By giving it such feature, WG isn't adding anything new to it.

With regards to this "war" (pro-SPG X anti-SPG sentiment), it's not a "lost the battle, won the war" or "victory/defeat" situation. But rather a clean draw: SPGs are more unlikely to be removed from the game than ever. The Pro side takes solace in that. But this also means the Anti side successfully capped the class. Nothing new is likely to be made from them apart from what we already have.

Why do I say so? Well... Selling the leFH18B2, twice. Premiums are hard to do without after when they're sold (Defender, for example. Got the status in EU the Mutant was meant to have). Now, it's much harder to get rid of the class as there are even more of those such people to compensate in case it gets retired.

Now, I can be wrong with the above. Saying "There are no plans to remove arty" is not the same as "We are not going to remove arty". Wording it like that gives you the ability of changing your mind, though undeniably, SPGs have their presence consolidated, even if Antis were to perform a major campaign (exaggerating, I know).

Lack of investment in the possibilities SPGs could have makes everything more frustrating to both parties, none of the sides get anything new:

To play with:

• Relevant skillsets specifically tailored for SPGs but with use to other classes (IE a skill to increase howitzer shell arc [would aply to vehicles such as B-C 155 55 and M4 with M4 105mm])
  • New vehicles with new mechanics

And to play against:

• Skills to decrease damage and/or stun time, recover fallen tankers from SPG hits
  • Predict where an SPG is shooting from or see where it is shooting at.

Yet another example of WG knee-capping its own game. Obviously, until now, I've been ignoring the fact people are vocal about the class. And although this is not a valid argument, those are the same folks who also play the class. "Missions" is likewise, not a valid counter-argument either.

Furthermore, in mapsets like Frontline, SPGs show how well they are close to work as in real life and become far less of a nuisance. Many targets to choose from, grudge-playing isn't possible as XVM doesn't work there, unlikely to be hit by the same SPG twice in a row (unlikely doesn't mean impossible), SPGs need to move with the front to be able to hit targets and hit them accurately, may actually run out of ammo... all of that and more I can't conceive (excluding the ludicrous combat reserves, obviously).

They would literally work as intended. But not here in pubs where there's no freedom of movement, unless it's an HT or assault gun. Such potential, if explored, would allow more room for the class without causing the grief players report.

They are strategic assets. If we follow the "tactical is attacking stuff that moves strategic is attacking stuff that doesn't" maximum, then, they would become so more historically accurate and by working principle: attacking enemy static emplacements, support a push or defend an onslaught and own side's assets.

As for premium SPGs, apart from the "Leafblower", I agree Tier VIII premium SPGs aren't needed. In short, they would be too profitable. We are talking about the class with the highest survival rate and as it shoots only HE, it is bound to always make a lot of credits, as it already is able to, without any credit/repairs coeficient.

Of course, this would take effort to break the barrier, and represents the type of thinking WG is shown several times to avoid and has said so. "The game is directed towards guys who play it after work hours. Nothing wrong with it".

The "nothing wrong with it" mentality is better suited to Quora. This is a game that should offer dynamic gameplay.

• HTs, cover the chokehold
  • MTs, standby for flanking maneuvers
  • LTs, scout enemy lines
  • TDs, prepare suppressive fire
  • SPGs, support our vanguard

Is not dynamic gameplay: It's the same deadbeat, dull and oftentimes, moronic tactic that fosters turbo battles. You can't change how a person plays their vehicles. That's true. But when the maps are comparable to a shot glass, people will have no such motivation to change in the first place...

Cannes76 #2 Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 68614 battles
  • [TAKE] TAKE
No.

Lemmingtrain #3 Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1847 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostCannes76, on 23 August 2018 - 10:12 PM, said:

No.

TLDR  :)

Temid23 #4 Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54065 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

Yes arty should have "new" mechanic: siegemode

And while we are at improving it: x5 or x10 penalty for team dmg increased, negative stun assistance on alied tanks and auto desertion applied when drowning.

:great:

FizzleMcSnizzle #5 Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:16 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7106 battles

View PostTemid23, on 23 August 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

Yes arty should have "new" mechanic: siegemode

And while we are at improving it: x5 or x10 penalty for team dmg increased, negative stun assistance on alied tanks and auto desertion applied when drowning.

:great:

I vote you stopgap head of WG balance. 

Simeon85 #6 Posted 24 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

That comment from WG is basically an admittance that they screwed it up, hence why the only likely changes to arty are going to be negative, (like the further restriction on numbers as mentioned in the article), probably their aim is to slowly erode the classes appeal, effectiveness etc. so that it essentially removes itself. 

Flat out removing it is messy, and financially could impact WG, which is why they have said they won't remove it, people will have free XP'd to tier 10 arties, they'll have bought the Leffe etc. so just flipping a switch and removing it will make some players unhappy and they will be demanding money back.

However if they just slowly nerf it, restrict it, leave it stale with no new content, the classes appeal diminishes and people will naturally just stop playing it, with no need for WG to refund people money. I suspect that is their long term plan, it's disappointing that there are still arty missions in the new PMs, but there seem to be a lot lot less tan before, another indication that they are slowly trying to phase the class out. 

clixor #7 Posted 24 August 2018 - 09:51 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51948 battles

After the arty stun changes, there was a drop in the amount of arties per battle. But now, they are back in full force and not unusual to see 3 arties again per battle. So limiting them to 2 per battle seems to make sense. 

I do think artaa has a place in the game though, when played right it can help with a push or with defending against an attack.

_Sentinel_ #8 Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15521 battles

View Postclixor, on 24 August 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I do think artaa has a place in the game though

Yes, it's to give us all *edited*   and ruin the game :)

View Postclixor, on 24 August 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

when played right it can help(...) with defending against an attack.

You mean...dare I say it...make people camp??? But I thought clickers were in the game to prevent camping, and make people go out and push...only to get fucked up by artillery moments after and sent back to the garage.

Also WG censorship brigade will close this thread as they "don't need additional artillery threads" and will tell us to use the pinned thread which nobody cares about in an attempt to shut us all up.

Edited by Jahpero, 24 August 2018 - 04:56 PM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate terms.

samuelx43a #9 Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22650 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Sentinel_, on 24 August 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

Yes, it's to give us all cancer and ruin the game :)

You mean...dare I say it...make people camp??? But I thought clickers were in the game to prevent camping, and make people go out and push...only to get fucked up by artillery moments after and sent back to the garage.

Also WG censorship brigade will close this thread as they "don't need additional artillery threads" and will tell you to use the pinned thread which nobody cares about in an attempt to shut you all up.

I think that "arty prevents camping" is the equivalent to "tvp vtu can counter defender".

Its a meme

_Sentinel_ #10 Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15521 battles

View Postsamuelx43a, on 24 August 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

I think that "arty prevents camping" is the equivalent to "tvp vtu can counter defender".

Its a meme

Before it became a meme it was something that WG officials said to justify artillery being in the game. Have they said the one about the VTU? If they've said that too all I can say is WOW!

Schepel #11 Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:49 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 61554 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
It is a brave thing to start an arty topic, but rather than the incredibly shortsighted 'no' someone posted earlier on, I tend to a very heartfelt 'yes, please'. Arty is both very easy and quite challenging: if you just sit in a corner, there is no easier class to play, but if you want to get purple stats in arty, you had better be prepared to put in more work than most arty hating folks can imagine. Either way, it is a relatively boring class, and fairly helpless one at that. I still feel that SPG's would benefit from a siege mode and a direct fire mode. Siege mode means you don't get to move, but you do get to fire in a high arc. Direct fire mode, think a big calibre TD with an atrocious DPM, but 'normal' aim. Ambush kind of td with very limited offensive potential, but a meaningful tank instead of a sitting duck. Furthermore, most arty need to lose their long range accuracy. Target a zone rather than a specific point.

PowJay #12 Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36041 battles

Arty is nothing short of a bloody nightmare to play.

I recently bought the FV3805 and after playing a little while with the 6.5 inch gun, I went back to the stock gun with a RoF of over 3 rounds a minute now. With this level of performance, I not only managed to complete the two campaign missions that I had left- SPG-12 (4) and SPG-15 (4)- I also completed three more "with Honors".

I decided that I could not take another battle with SPGs but did try for ONE only in the M40/43. Another idiot team. Another short, losing battle and with reload time twice that of the FV3805 (5.5 in gun), I was bored, bored, bored and frustrated.

After that battle I decided to unload ammo from both vehicles, remove consumables and send all the crew to barracks. And then I got x5 weekend and a day of Premium from Kursk mission 50. Oh.

So the FV3805 comes out. The first battle was earlier and although we lost, I can't recall anything about it.

Second battle....  Glacier. Possibly my least-liked map. Our HTs go north and west. THEIR HTs smash through the centre. One miss from me, one low, low HP damage shot and I run. And die. BIG lose.

Third battle. Sand River. East start. I have to go south after a couple of shots because only ONE of my team has gone north. The rest smash the south and centre. They walk through the north and cap base with three tanks while our lot are still dithering. 9>5 and we lose. GJ, team. :facepalm: No-one spots our base but I manage 38 reset points with blind shooting- for all the good it does.

Fourth battle. Paris. FFS. I manage one blind shot on an arty tracer for stun only and the field is overwhelmed and I die. Another idiot team

Fifth battle. Erlenberg. General stupidity, no viable targets, team melting away, I recklessly ford the river heading north and really don't care whether I make it or not. I don't. I drown and I don't give a flying fart. I get 247 damage from four shots.

Sixth battle on Fishermans Bay. More general uselessness. To save a suicide that denies the enemy a kill, I just reverse YOLO into view. The couldn't-give-a-damn-any-longer is strong now.

Seventh battle on Malinovka. My team MASSACRE the enemy 15>1. I get off NINE shots and get ONE "That was close" for 53 HP.

That is me DONE with SPGs. I understand that they may be needed for the new PMs, otherwise I would sell the two that I have as soon as the discounts are over. I HATE playing this stupid broken class, and it is only the offer of x5 that brought the FV3805 back out onto the battlefield. With only around 1,000 damage from SEVEN games, it can go right back there.

I think WG are hoping to make it such an unpopular class to play that they just make it even more boring and reliant on teams than ever before, and just hope that players will ignore it. Now that the PMs are over (screw the Honors) I can say that they have finally won with me.

Edited by PowJay, 24 August 2018 - 12:21 PM.

NoobySkooby #13 Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 14968 battles
So are WG pulling SPG's out of the game then?

SaintMaddenus #14 Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:44 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35429 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

So powjay,  what you are saying is that you can't play what has been called the Easiest class to play....  you lack the skill and you play it the worst possible ways and suicide..  No wonder people hate arty.   the relatively decent players generally, which you are a bit above average, can't be bothered to play it properly adding to the fuel of your own fires.

Teams let all players down on a regular basis, but does that only happen when you play arty or do you yolo suicide in other tanks when your team sucks..

I know I am wasting keystrokes here but If people put a little patience and played arty as it should be played and there was a 1 arty per team limit then people would grief over it  a LOT less. 

totally hate 3 arty games....

ilhilh #15 Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:55 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27232 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

10% of my games are in arty.  This has been fairly stable throughout my WoT 'career' although the vast majority of my games were before the damage nerf and stun mechanics.  I never found arty to be a class I could play a lot so always stuck to 1 line at a time, but conversely I do quite enjoy playing arty so I always made sure I had 1 arty on the grind and usually it would be my first game (or games as I play to the first win).  This settles me into gaming before I take out the 'proper' tanks that require more attention.

• RU - Own tier X Obj 261
  • GER - Own tier X GW E100
  • FR - Own tier X BC 155 58
  • UK - Currently at the tier IX FV 3805 but suffering from atrocious win rate with stock gun.
  • US - Yesterday I bought the tier 3 M7 priest.  This does mean I will have 2 arties on the go at the same time, but these new personal missions will require a US SPG it seems and so I need to get up this tree now rather than wait for me finishing the UK tree.

But, even with my glacial grinding pace I am not that far from getting all of the top SPGs and then I'll probably stop playing outside of missions... although perhaps I might still take 1 out for a spin for my first game of the day... who knows.

mpf1959 #16 Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17528 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

How differently people see the same thing!

Over 50% of my games are arty, I like playing it, and it is lucrative, but I play mostly t5 to t7, I have t8 and t9 arties, but they barely get played as they dont make good credits as reliably. To some there is a problem with something, to others (me), there aint!

PowJay #17 Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:28 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36041 battles

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 24 August 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

So powjay,  what you are saying is that you can't play what has been called the Easiest class to play....  you lack the skill and you play it the worst possible ways and suicide..  No wonder people hate arty.   the relatively decent players generally, which you are a bit above average, can't be bothered to play it properly adding to the fuel of your own fires.

Teams let all players down on a regular basis, but does that only happen when you play arty or do you yolo suicide in other tanks when your team sucks..

I know I am wasting keystrokes here but If people put a little patience and played arty as it should be played and there was a 1 arty per team limit then people would grief over it  a LOT less.

totally hate 3 arty games....

Arty used to be the big guns on the battlefield. Whatever their intended use, they would hit hard and often. I won a number- not a huge number but some- of either Confederate or Top Gun medals depending on whether I tended to hit the enemy first, or second. Sometimes it was a mixed bag.

First the accuracy nerf saw me empty the entire magazine of the Hummel in one battle- on Malinovka of all places- without hitting ANYTHING. Then I stopped playing higher tiers sometime after 8.6 but did try a few SPGs and lines, all ending with the same conclusion- that I didn't want to play SPGs any longer.

Then WG introduced the PMs. Many have skipped the SPG missions, but I have done all of them now, and taken the rewards. The first two sets are with Honors and 3 and 4 are a mixed bag. I went back and completed a few this week, but no more.

Let us look at what arty's problems are...

Reliant on team. SPGs are almost 100% reliant on team members to find the enemy. I have blind shotted a few places due to trees falling, regular camping spots and SPG tracers, but as a general rule, SPGs are almost useless without scouting.

Now that they big damage is a thing of the past, SPGs can still stun, and track and immobilise. However, this still relies on allies to hit them. This also assumes that you actually land a shell somewhere in the same grid square. Against heavy targets- the ones I understand they were traditionally supposed to break- they can be all but completely useless. Stun seems to be the only mechanic that you can now rely on. For PMs, that is great. For turning battles around with lousy teams, it is a complete waste of time.

So let's look at reload, aim time and accuracy. I swear that I shouldn't play US or UK SPGs, because if I hear "That was close" just one more time, I might put my fist through the monitor. At least in another language I have variety. Shell flight time is another issue. It takes either very good timing or allies tracking or pinning down an enemy vehicle to have a chance of hitting over some long distances. More reliance on the team. When you miss, it is 30 seconds or more before you have a chance to turn something around. Meanwhile, the ally who was spotting the enemy is dead, the enemy has disappeared and is about to relocate to somewhere you can't hit and take down another member of your team.

How about maps? Paris? Don't get me started. The one battle out of five where we have won since I started playing the FV I managed to go to the centre of the field and shoot right up the middle of the map. I hit a dead TD, the bridge and one shot fell short despite having an excellent chance to do some damage and make a difference.

Lakeville? Show me the spot on the map where enemy SPGs don't target you, enemy LTs can't spot you and from where you can actually hit something in the two choke points in town/valley.

Himmelsdorf? Don't even get me started.

Ruinberg? Largely the same issue as Lakeville, but can be rewarding here with a good team and a complete waste of time with a bad one.

Westfield? Can be good, but try hitting (and damaging) HTs over those slopes when every shot sails over the top on an aim zone half a grid-square long.

Glacier? Ensk? Again- don't even get me started.

As stated, I was trying to play for the x5 plus Premium bonus to at least get further along the road to the best gun for the FV and seven games later I get an terrible x5/x1.5 win with 53 HP damage. Wow. I ask why do I bother? as do you.

I didn't suicide per se on Erlenberg, One more second would have seen me out of the other side of the river and clear. For all the difference it would have made, I would have tried to fight on. Will I ford here again, knowing that I will drown? No, but I didn't really care either way by that point.

As for the reverse YOLO, the game was decided. I had two allies left and two enemies close by. I could have suicided, but I went out to die to enemy guns. The best I could have hoped for is 100 damage for a huge shell and instant death. I'd rather jump into another vehicle without wasting the cost of a shell.

I admit that SPGs have brought out the worst in me. Reckless- or even deliberate- drowning, blowing myself up, and generally throwing myself off high places. Mostly, I just turn my rear to the enemy to show contempt for my team and let them blow me up. This is NEVER the first or second battle.. Just when it starts to get like today.

As a result, and because I have completed the PMs, I am not going to play even one more game in SPGs unless missions (PMs not regular missions) lure me into it. That was the reason I have played them up until today and that will now be the only reason why I ever play them ever again.

Do I suicide in other vehicles. No. Not generally. By which I mean that I just tend to get reckless and YOLO because I am bottom tier and it is 3<11 and I'd rather just move on to another battle. As for my general performance....

At present, I have played 280 tanks. I have not done well in a number of them and have negative (<50% WR) in 67 (I make it) 50% WR in another 60 odd. Let's call it 130 50% or less and 150 positive win rates. BTW, I choose to stop playing at 50% in some tanks. With more play then they could have been positive, or they could be negative win rates. I just decide that 50% means that they are exactly even and that will do... unless I actually like the tank or it has great potential (or both)

So let us look at the winners. Luck or skill? or both? If we look at the most-played tanks, the AMX 13 90 is top. Just like the SPGs, I now only play LTs (this one in particular) for PMs. I have a negative win rate in this one. Even more so with its new 4-round magazine, it is team dependent. It can win matches with a decent team, but it cannot carry except in the hands of an exceptional player. I am not terrible in it (67.70% MoE) but I am one LT in mostly tier X matches and I can't turn bad battles around no matter how hard I try. As a result of the recent LT changes, I now own only three LTs from tier VII and IX. After the Object 704, In the next 20 most-played tanks, I have negative win rates in only two. That is four negative win rates in my top 22 most-played tanks and the Object has been sold anyway. Half of your 22 most-played tanks have negative win rates, BTW.

How about HTs? I don't much enjoy these either. I own 14 at present, but have only played 11 of these. Nine of the 11 have a positive win rate. One has 50% and the IS-3 49.69%. One of my recent replays shows that I can play this tank, but the team I had.... Don't remind me! I have sold many HTs along the way, but I do generally have a 50% or greater WR in these.

TDs are my favourite class. I mostly have good performance and win rates in these. I have all of the first 45 campaign missions completed with honors and I own 30 of this class. I also can do well in mediums, but mostly up to tier VII. The T-34-100 is one of my all-time best performing tier VII tanks. Considering how much it is disliked, it was a pleasant surprise.

I know what my strengths and weaknesses are, and if I rerolled, I'd like to think that I could be pretty good if I completely ignored HTs, SPGs and LTs, but I haven't. I have played 280 tanks, from all of the nations (other than Poland) and to at least tier V in every line other than the Italians and Swedish Meds. If you look at my most-played vehicles (other than the AMX and Object), then you will see that I have only broken the 1000 mark in one tank. This means less well-trained crews and therefore disadvantages (however slight) over how they could have been if I had concentrated on less vehicles.

I am not ashamed of my skills or performance, although I do fail to understand how the performance I demonstrate in lower tiers completely deserts me at tier VIII+ I have NEVER denied this, and so trying to shame me won't work. Now that I have got SPGs out of the way, I am going to concentrate some time on the Cent 7/1 which- despite playing with the stock/second gun with terrible pen and alpha- I do have a positive win balance of 21 battles from 41 games. This does at least give me some hope that I might enjoy it with the best gun.

Well, that digressed and escalated quickly, but if you want to question my abilities and attitudes when talking about SPGs. I would point out though- without intending to be cruel- that whatever I am doing right, I appear to be doing it more than you- if you wish to question my skills/integrity.

Edited by PowJay, 24 August 2018 - 01:32 PM.

samuelx43a #18 Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22650 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Sentinel_, on 24 August 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Before it became a meme it was something that WG officials said to justify artillery being in the game. Have they said the one about the VTU? If they've said that too all I can say is WOW!

well, so I'm told it was one of the directors actually saying that any player skilled enough can coutner another, and I think he used those tanks as an example, however, as per usual, there was a misunderstanding, and they got as they say, the wrong end of the stick

FrantisekBascovansky #19 Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 11911 battles

View PostPowJay, on 24 August 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

Arty is nothing short of a bloody nightmare to play.

I recently bought the FV3805 and after playing a little while with the 6.5 inch gun, I went back to the stock gun with a RoF of over 3 rounds a minute now. With this level of performance, I not only managed to complete the two campaign missions that I had left- SPG-12 (4) and SPG-15 (4)- I also completed three more "with Honors".

I decided that I could not take another battle with SPGs but did try for ONE only in the M40/43. Another idiot team. Another short, losing battle and with reload time twice that of the FV3805 (5.5 in gun), I was bored, bored, bored and frustrated.

After that battle I decided to unload ammo from both vehicles, remove consumables and send all the crew to barracks. And then I got x5 weekend and a day of Premium from Kursk mission 50. Oh.

So the FV3805 comes out. The first battle was earlier and although we lost, I can't recall anything about it.

Second battle....  Glacier. Possibly my least-liked map. Our HTs go north and west. THEIR HTs smash through the centre. One miss from me, one low, low HP damage shot and I run. And die. BIG lose.

Third battle. Sand River. East start. I have to go south after a couple of shots because only ONE of my team has gone north. The rest smash the south and centre. They walk through the north and cap base with three tanks while our lot are still dithering. 9>5 and we lose. GJ, team. :facepalm: No-one spots our base but I manage 38 reset points with blind shooting- for all the good it does.

Fourth battle. Paris. FFS. I manage one blind shot on an arty tracer for stun only and the field is overwhelmed and I die. Another idiot team

Fifth battle. Erlenberg. General stupidity, no viable targets, team melting away, I recklessly ford the river heading north and really don't care whether I make it or not. I don't. I drown and I don't give a flying fart. I get 247 damage from four shots.

Sixth battle on Fishermans Bay. More general uselessness. To save a suicide that denies the enemy a kill, I just reverse YOLO into view. The couldn't-give-a-damn-any-longer is strong now.

Seventh battle on Malinovka. My team MASSACRE the enemy 15>1. I get off NINE shots and get ONE "That was close" for 53 HP.

That is me DONE with SPGs. I understand that they may be needed for the new PMs, otherwise I would sell the two that I have as soon as the discounts are over. I HATE playing this stupid broken class, and it is only the offer of x5 that brought the FV3805 back out onto the battlefield. With only around 1,000 damage from SEVEN games, it can go right back there.

I think WG are hoping to make it such an unpopular class to play that they just make it even more boring and reliant on teams than ever before, and just hope that players will ignore it. Now that the PMs are over (screw the Honors) I can say that they have finally won with me.

Well buddy, no. It means that you are just a BAD SPG PLAYER.

Don't blame the maps, don't blame the teams. Even driving SPG in Ensk or Paris I use to frequently beat 12-13 allies in dmg dealt. When i get crappy team on any map, I beat whole pool of allies in terms of dmg dealt by a huge margin (and then die of course).

Bad teams happen. Bad streaks happen. But YOU drive your arty and just learn how to drive it efficiently, even when your team are complete donkeys dead in 3 minutes.

Here are my last 3 days playing some tanks but mostly my 6th tier M44 SPG, i'm posting you these 3 days (or 69 battles) consistency-wise.

http://wotinfo.net/e...till=22-08-2018

http://wotinfo.net/e...till=23-08-2018

http://wotinfo.net/e...till=24-08-2018

In these 69 battles, I had several good matches, but even more bad 3-4mins matches with useless teams, yet managed to shoot something and achieved not-so-bad WN8.

So, whine write less, play better.

Edited by FrantisekBascovansky, 24 August 2018 - 03:14 PM.

PowJay #20 Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36041 battles

View PostFrantisekBascovansky, on 24 August 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Well buddy, no. It means that you are just a BAD SPG PLAYER.

Don't blame the maps, don't blame the teams. Even driving SPG in Ensk or Paris I use to frequently beat 12-13 allies in dmg dealt. When i get crappy team on any map, I beat whole pool of allies in terms of dmg dealt by a huge margin (and then die of course).

Bad teams happen. Bad streaks happen. But YOU drive your arty and just learn how to drive it efficiently, even when your team are complete donkeys dead in 3 minutes.

Here are my last 3 days playing some tanks but mostly my 6th tier M44 SPG, i'm posting you these 3 days (or 69 battles) consistency-wise.

http://wotinfo.net/e...8-2018&till=now

In these 69 battles, I had several good matches, but even more bad 3-4mins matches with useless teams, yet managed to shoot something and achieved not-so-bad WN8.

So, whine write less, play better.

Well, I am glad someone gets some enjoyment from this class. I can tell you from the (lack of) MoE on SPGs that I am doing something wrong compared to others, but the simple point is that I have chosen to keep and play a number of vehicles that I can mostly play to a positive win rate and even carry teams with. SPGs are NOT among these for me.

LTs can be versatile, and I accept that some players are much better than me for the same reasons that they are better than me in other classes, but SPGs. How the hell do you get better in a class when you are first to die, miss everything, do little damage and are generally useless because maps and teams offer so little chance to shine- even more so since Stun became the significant purpose of SPGs.

I'm happy to let them go and play something else.

Also tagged with for, me, at, least

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users