Application as a final project at school

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

skidrzej #1 Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3902 battles

Hello,

I am learning in a programming school and as a WoT project final project I would like to make an application based on the API provided by Wargaming. I have read the terms of using the API and I have doubts whether I can do such a project. I do not know if my application will bring something new, I would like to create a website that will allow players to search, display their statistics, compare players and compare vehicles. Perhaps, in addition, it will be a graphical presentation of data. Can I make such a project and will not break the Wargaming license? The project will be available in my repository at github.com and I will send it to a potential employee.

I will be grateful for your response.

Regards

kaadomin #2 Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:09 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31536 battles
  • [NXD] NXD

There are many pages calculating and displaying something with the help of the API - this is the main reason the API exists. 

Why you think this would break the licence? 

skidrzej #3 Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 3902 battles
  • I agree, there are many such sites, but I have read the API rules and there is eg such a record there:

• "Applications must bring additional value for the end-users and must not replicate any existing functionality of Wargaming products or services."

In fact, looking at what is made available directly in the game, it's hard not to break this record, or maybe I'm exaggerating? :)
  • I would like to do a project that will be my credit in school, but at the same time it will exist on the web and I will develop it with time, if possible, and the code will be available on Github - of course, without the key of my application.

I would like this project to exist and not be turned off by breaking any of the license points hence my concerns about the regulations which is quite long and I as a user have doubts whether I will not break the rules unknowingly. But as I mentioned, maybe my fears are exaggerated? :)

Edited by skidrzej, 27 August 2018 - 11:45 AM.

kaadomin #4 Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31536 battles
  • [NXD] NXD

"Applications must bring additional value for the end-users and must not replicate any existing functionality of Wargaming products or services."

If you generate something with calculated values like WN8 (its not in the game)  or to the winrate (over all or on a tank) on a time line in time frames as graph, you create not a replica of the player service record. I think you also shouldn't create a replica of the wot assistant.

I think there are a lot of possibilities, to calculate, display, compare values in a way WG doesn't does. Maybe you get values like first spot and survive and winrat (win/battles) from some accounts and try to find out if (first spot) * (survive) is a good value for high winrate or not ... this is only one research idea :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users