Tank spots in real life

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Killer711 #1 Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

So I was driving along the motorways in Poland, until I looked over and saw what seemed to be a StuG (only glimpsed it for a second) being towed on a trailer, followed by a large chain of traffic. Added some excitement to a boring drive. 

Anyone else here spot any tanks in real life? Share your experiences. 

Jigabachi #2 Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

We have a monthly flea market around here, last time I spotted something I was told to be a Russian tank radio case.

There are also a few museums that have some random vehicles, including tanks.

The military bases around got closed in the 90s and 2000s, back then we often had the soldiers exercising around here and parking right in front of our house, where they all gathered - except for the tanks, those had to park in the fields, because they already got fined for destroying one of the sidewalks. We kids sometimes brought them something to eat and drink and were then allowed to sit in the vehicles.

Back in that time I also used to find old tank parts in our woods every now and then. 

Killer711 #3 Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostJigabachi, on 26 August 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

We have a monthly flea market around here, last time I spotted something I was told to be a Russian tank radio case.

The military bases around got closed in the 90s and 2000s, back then we often had the soldiers exercising around here and parking right in front of our house, where they all gathered - except for the tanks, those had to park in the fields, because they already got fined for destroying one of the sidewalks. We kids sometimes brought them something to eat and drink and were then allowed to sit in the vehicles.

Back in that time I also used to find old tank parts in our woods every now and then. 

That's pretty interesting.

Someone I know used to find old military stuff in the woods when they where a kid. I think once he and a friend found I think it was a mortar, or something. They buried it somewhere and when he came back it was gone. Apparently the friend took it but I reckon he just forgot where he buried it and couldn't find it again. :teethhappy::facepalm:

Balc0ra #4 Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 68087 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

There is an M47 Patton parked along the main highway here, about 5 min from where I live. Outside the only Museum in my nation that has two T-34-85's and a ton of 88's and Pak 40 AT guns on the inside. Also a few FT-1 Turrets that was used as defense turrets by the Germans at the local airport here during the war. 

It's one of two M47's Norway bought from the US for trials. But they ofc went for the Leopards instead when the two bought there did better during their trials vs the M47. The other is rusting away in storage in the main capital somewhere. This is not looking too good either atm. But it's currently planned for a restoration project starting next month. So soon it will look better when I drive past it. 

Now and then there is a Chaffee next to it. As they have two variants of it. The old 76mm Chaffee. And the NM-116. Or the 90mm gun variant of it. As Norway rebuilt half of their Chaffees to that designation taking the engine from the M113 APC, giving it almost 100 extra HP. And tossing a French 90mm gun on it along with several 12-7 M2 Machine guns. The NM-116 they have was retired from service as late as 1993. The two Chaffees ofc are in mint condition and are seen on shows around here driving rather often. M47 has not had its engine roaring for decades sadly. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 26 August 2018 - 09:20 PM.

Jigabachi #5 Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostKiller711, on 26 August 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

That's pretty interesting.

Someone I know used to find old military stuff in the woods when they where a kid. I think once he and a friend found I think it was a mortar, or something. They buried it somewhere and when he came back it was gone. Apparently the friend took it but I reckon he just forgot where he buried it and couldn't find it again. :teethhappy::facepalm:

In my case it was just fragments of armor, pieces of tracks, a hatch and random clutter, like shell casings, canisters and food containers. Since we live on a hill at almost 500m, we had strategic positions covered with troops and tanks all around. Two of them got destroyed somehow, the rest of them fell back.

Killer711 #6 Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBalc0ra, on 26 August 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

There is an M47 Patton parked along the main highway here, about 5 min from where I live. Outside the only Museum in my nation that has two T-34-85's and a ton of 88's and Pak 40 AT guns on the inside. Also a few FT-1 Turrets that was used as defense turrets by the Germans at the local airport here during the war. 

It's one of two M47's Norway bought from the US for trials. But they ofc went for the Leopards instead when the two bought there did better during their trials vs the M47. The other is rusting away in storage in the main capital somewhere. This is not looking too good either atm. But it's currently planned for a restoration project starting next month. So soon it will look better when I drive past it. 

Now and then there is a Chaffee next to it. As they have two variants of it. The old 76mm Chaffee. And the NM-116. Or the 90mm gun variant of it. As Norway rebuilt half of their Chaffees to that designation taking the engine from the M113 APC, giving it almost 100 extra HP. And tossing a French 90mm gun on it along with several 12-7 M2 Machine guns. The NM-116 they have was retired from service as late as 1993. The two Chaffees ofc are in mint condition and are seen on shows around here driving rather often. M47 has not had its engine roaring for decades sadly. 

Wow. I think the closest museum that's any good near me is Bobvington. Might be something in London too somewhere. Apparently there is a wreck of a tank not far from me but I don't think it's there anymore.

16:08 Added after 1 minute

View PostJigabachi, on 26 August 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

In my case it was just fragments of armor, pieces of tracks, a hatch and random clutter, like shell casings, canisters and food containers. Since we live on a hill at almost 500m, we had strategic positions covered with troops and tanks all around. Two of them got destroyed somehow, the rest of them fell back.

Wait where do you live? The falklands? Anyway that's gotta be worth poking around with a metal detector.

Jigabachi #7 Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Close. I'm from Germany. ;)

I already thought about getting a metal detector, but people already went there and came back with nothing but metal pieces and parts from farm machinery.
30 years ago you'd most definitely have had a nice adventure here...

edit: Ugh... have had? Is that the correct tense?

Edited by Jigabachi, 27 August 2018 - 07:25 PM.

Balc0ra #8 Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 68087 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostJigabachi, on 27 August 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

I already thought about getting a metal detector, but people already went there and came back with nothing but metal pieces and parts from farm machinery.

Sadly there was not much tank action where I lived during WWII. As the island I live on was one of the closest island on our coastline to the UK. So the Germans had several bunkers, AA guns and naval guns placed all around it. As the Brits did do recon here rather often. They lost several planes around here. 24 of them have been found as of today. Not much in terms of naval battles here tho besides in late 41 and May 45. Between those dates the Brits stuck to the air around these parts. 

But I have been on trips to several of the bunker sites around here. As many of them are still in the more isolated parts of the island. Not much left to find now ofc. But I've found used German shell casings near one from a Luger as they are marked as 9x19 Para. Also, a few 7.92x57mm Mauser that could have been used by anything. As books say they had a shooting range near where I found them. Not found anything else of interest as it's mostly cleaned out by now ofc. Used 88 and 28cm shells have not been found around here for decades. 

Tho Germans had Russian POW build a road across our island on the south side to connect the naval gun posts etc. But that road is now part of the islands nature park. And it's the only road in that area that you are allowed to drive on. As after a refit in the 50's it now also leads to several lakes and nature paths around the area. And about a year ago they did road work on the middle part of it. And even then they found stuff digging along the road. Inc personalized items. One of them was a necklace with a name on it. The name was tracked down, and the necklace sent to it's living relatives. 

FluffyRedFox #9 Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

General

• Player
  • 24136 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Closest one to me is about an hour away, a bright orange M113 used for advertising a paintballing place. Apart from that, nothing really much for tanks. 

Killer711 #10 Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostJigabachi, on 27 August 2018 - 06:23 PM, said:

Nice. I think I'd say I live in the opposite of a strategic location, somewhere in Hampshire. There is a military camp not too far, I see it sometimes when driving, not much going on usually apart from a few camoed vehicles I don't recognise. Also a training range I used to cycle near to, can sometimes hear gun shots :ohmy: 

Exciting. 

leggasiini #11 Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15391 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
There's a Leopard 2A4 next to the highway around less than 1 hour away. Since it's right where you can cross to Parola Tank Museum, the museum is obviously not super far away from that but it's still there, so. There's a possiblity that there's a tank even closer to that but I can't think off one now

250swb #12 Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 23165 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Talking of museums I don't think it is commonly known that the Donnington Park Grand Prix Collection now has a Military Collection alongside it. There are lots of rare vehicles and interesting memorabilia and Sherman and Churchill tanks etc. 

OIias_of_Sunhillow #13 Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

Major

• Player
  • 25247 battles

There's a Vickers MBT parked in an industrial estate in Delph Road, Brierley Hill, West Midlands.

You can view it on Google maps, 'street-view'.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4762605,-2.1266488,3a,75y,185.9h,64.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNRluRsLJUI7fk-c7ez_gzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's been there years..

Edited by OIias_of_Sunhillow, 02 September 2018 - 12:56 PM.

Homer_J #14 Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30191 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostJigabachi, on 26 August 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

I bought a rocket launcher from a car boot sale once.  The police were not happy to see me panning around the market square with it.

Killer711 #15 Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 02 September 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

I bought a rocket launcher from a car boot sale once.  The police were not happy to see me panning around the market square with it.

Nice find! Now to get some ammo...

FluffyRedFox #16 Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

General

• Player
  • 24136 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostFluffyRedFox, on 28 August 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Closest one to me is about an hour away, a bright orange M113 used for advertising a paintballing place. Apart from that, nothing really much for tanks. 

Drove past it yesterday, its a Bradely IFV painted like a tiger. It looks bloody awful :D

Edited by FluffyRedFox, 03 September 2018 - 07:42 PM.

Kothaar #17 Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 59400 battles
  • [IGNOR] IGNOR
The country house where we used to live as child is situated very near to the Russian border. Back in 1941 there was some fighting on the border before the Soviets retreated, also an armored assault over the border. The wall of the old animal shelter next to the country house was full of pock marks from tank machine gun. Two tanks were destroyed by artillery just a few hundred meters away from the house.

Also inside the small cellar near the house is a bullet strike: somebody probably hid, or was believed to be hidden inside the cellar so they shot inside.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users