PC advice..

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Killer711 #1 Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Now, I know this may be the wrong place to ask this, but I need technical advice. If it is indeed the wrong place, then tell me and I'll pack my bags to go a computer website or something. 

Anyway ive been playing world of tanks on a really old computer. I think it must have been designed at the height of the Roman Empire and built in Constantinople as it is crazy old. Wot runs alright at minimum graphics at 15 fps but now the UI is broken and annoying and distracting. So it's time for something new. 

I've decided to get a laptop, a bit cheaper and portable as after all the old computer still works alright if I'm desktopping. Now what I need advice for is what kind of specs should I be looking at? Like what intel card etc. 

As you can tell I don't really care about graphics. Sure, it would be nice to truly see the HD flames of my destroyed tank, or the sun, glimmering off the barrel of the KV2 that's about to kill me, but to be honest I don't mind seeing paper mache rocks and cut out trees. Anyway, I have an Xbox for some big games, so all I really want to play here is: World of Tanks, Kerbal Space Program and I also have my eye on some Total War games maybe. What would I need to run these? What sort of ram should I look for or whatever.

Any advice? I've highlighted the main points for the impatient or easily distracted. Thanks. :great:

Dorander #2 Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18686 battles

I can't really answer your questions but I can tell you there's a tech corner on the forum, which you can find here:

http://forum.worldof...03-tech-corner/

though you'll probably net some useful replies in this thread as well.

Nethraniel #3 Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 13535 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
What is your expectation with the graphic settings, and what Total War titels do you want to play? I am running a MSI StealthPro... But that was quite expensive because of the dedicated GPU. 

Nishi_Kinuyo #4 Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8070 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

For the Total War games, the newer ones at least, you'll want a dedicated GPU in your laptop.

The other two shouldn't need one as much if you don't mind potato graphics.

For CPU I'd go for... at least a somewhat new i3, or an i5 if possible.

And that is where the main issue lies in price: laptops with a dedicated GPU usually aren't cheap, to the point where you can usually get a desktop with similar specifications for less.

So then it comes down to how important it is to have it portable, and how much money you're willing to spend on it.

Killer711 #5 Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 27 August 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

For the Total War games, the newer ones at least, you'll want a dedicated GPU in your laptop.

The other two shouldn't need one as much if you don't mind potato graphics.

For CPU I'd go for... at least a somewhat new i3, or an i5 if possible.

And that is where the main issue lies in price: laptops with a dedicated GPU usually aren't cheap, to the point where you can usually get a desktop with similar specifications for less.

So then it comes down to how important it is to have it portable, and how much money you're willing to spend on it.

Ah well we can scratch total war off if necessary. I mean the old Rome one should work anyway and hopefully the first warhammer one,  the second versions of both would be an extra. What about wot and Kerbal? Also RAM? Any ideas?
19:17 Added after 1 minute

View PostNethraniel, on 27 August 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

What is your expectation with the graphic settings, and what Total War titels do you want to play? I am running a MSI StealthPro... But that was quite expensive because of the dedicated GPU. 

I don’t care about graphics, though obviously the higher the better. Titles mentioned above ^

Nethraniel #6 Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 13535 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostKiller711, on 27 August 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Ah well we can scratch total war off if necessary. I mean the old Rome one should work anyway and hopefully the first warhammer one,  the second versions of both would be an extra. What about wot and Kerbal? Also RAM? Any ideas?
19:17 Added after 1 minute

I don’t care about graphics, though obviously the higher the better. Titles mentioned above ^

So, there we are running into the problems. Total War Warhammer runs on the latest 64bit TW Engine 3 like TWW2 and TW3K, which means you need quite some graphic and processor power to run it at least somehow smooth.

So, i5 or i7 core, 8-16 GB RAM, and some reasonable powerful GPU... so, at least here in Germany that's 1200-1500€ perhaps...

Killer711 #7 Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNethraniel, on 27 August 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

So, there we are running into the problems. Total War Warhammer runs on the latest 64bit TW Engine 3 like TWW2 and TW3K, which means you need quite some graphic and processor power to run it at least somehow smooth.

So, i5 or i7 core, 8-16 GB RAM, and some reasonable powerful GPU... so, at least here in Germany that's 1200-1500€ perhaps...

Blast! Ok, TW Rome would be alright though? Wait even the older Warhammer too? Oh well. I’m guessing if WoT works on my old computer (I think it had some I dual core or something with windows vista) it should work on anything pulled from the trash compactor. KSP should be alright too?

Nishi_Kinuyo #8 Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8070 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

KSP should likely be all right, seeing as it runs on a Core 2 Duo on minimum.

As for RAM, I'd say at least 8GB, but do keep in mind how many SODIMM slots it comes with.

If it comes with, for example, 4 slots but only 8GB RAM (2×4GB usually), you can always upgrade to 16GB later by buying additional SODIMMs.

And yes, the old Rome Total War should work fine on integrated graphics (Intel HD, the one on your CPU).

Pansenmann #9 Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34805 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I run all of those games with an i7-2600k @ 3.6 Ghz, 16 GB of DDR3 RAM,

two 480GB SSD's (no raid) and an RX 480 - and I run it at 1440p :P

pretty much outdated but still does the trick.

PS: the 27 inch Dell display consumed all the budget of 2017 for that kind of stuff :/

PPS: SSD's are cheap at the moment, look for the best money per gigabyte - don't buy the cheapest stuff!

Edited by Pansenmann, 27 August 2018 - 11:42 PM.

RockyRoller #10 Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34697 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS

TBH if its to play recent and future games and you have the money first go visiting sites like this https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ and fastest parts to cost and generally get an idea of bang for buck. Now you have a list  of parts you think will do the trick, visit your online PC dealer and pick a deal that suits your wallet, or build it yourself in the case of desk tops.

A number of hard core gamers used and still might go here https://www.overcloc.../gaming-laptops and what they have on sale is a decent first step.

Geno1isme #11 Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

General

• Player
  • 44692 battles
  • [TROET] TROET

View PostKiller711, on 27 August 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

Blast! Ok, TW Rome would be alright though? Wait even the older Warhammer too?

The first TW:WH was released just two years ago, so it asks for some decent hardware: https://store.steamp..._War_WARHAMMER/

The original Rome:TW on the other hand is from 2004, so hardware performance should't be an issue there. More likely you'll run into compability issues (old games sometimes don't like modern operating systems).

In general you should look for a quadcore CPU (or at least a dualcore CPU with Hyperthreading) and at least 8 GB of RAM. If you can afford it, even a GTX 1050 will offer you much better performance than any integrated graphics. Also get a 240+ GB SSD, over time the reduced loading times will save you many hours or even days of your life.

Nethraniel #12 Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:14 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13535 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Just as a sidenote... Rome Total War comes for mobile devices as App.

Vule777 #13 Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25950 battles
  • [BZVZ] BZVZ

If you want the best answer you must tell what is your budget, from that point you will get some serious answers, this way I suggest Alienware - 17.3" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 256GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive - Black

1700$

cragarion #14 Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44823 battles
The only real advice i can give you is DON'T get a laptop, stick with a desktop PC you can constantly upgrade it.

zardikar6 #15 Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12473 battles
You need a powerful PC computer, not a laptop. Total war games require a powerful processor and WOT requires a powerful graphics card and powerful processor. So to enjoy these games the way its meant (high to ultra graphic settings) you need to buy an expensive PC. Somewhere around 600-1000 EUR. Throw that Roman PC out of window, find some1 who is friendly and legit, tell him what you want and how much money you have and build a PC with him from scratch... New system (i recommend w7 x64), new casing etc... Laptops are NOT for any kind of gaming

Edited by zardikar6, 28 August 2018 - 03:30 PM.

TsundereWaffle #16 Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27233 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
If you're looking for something that wont cost you a fortune but will allow you to play some games, I guess you can have a look at a laptop with a GTX 1050 (will cost you 800 euros brand new), or alternatively you can look for a used laptop with a GTX 960M (they should be around 500 euros), if you don't mind turning down graphics.

Killer711 #17 Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2992 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postzardikar6, on 28 August 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

You need a powerful PC computer, not a laptop. Total war games require a powerful processor and WOT requires a powerful graphics card and powerful processor. So to enjoy these games the way its meant (high to ultra graphic settings) you need to buy an expensive PC. Somewhere around 600-1000 EUR. Throw that Roman PC out of window, find some1 who is friendly and legit, tell him what you want and how much money you have and build a PC with him from scratch... New system (i recommend w7 x64), new casing etc... Laptops are NOT for any kind of gaming

I should have mentioned earlier. I don't mean to buy it for proper gaming. I have my Xbox for that. No I just wanted to buy a nice and affordable laptop for regular use and play some small games on the side. Tanks and kerbal mainly and TW was just a bonus. 

I think im settling on this dell: https://www.pcworld....182139-pdt.html

As I mentioned I don't care much about graphics or hard core 'pc master race' gaming I'm happy with what seems like a great offer £600 down £150. I hope the I3 8th gen should be alright with 8GB RAM. Maybe one day I'll invest in something bigger but hey. No worries.

Thanks everyone for posting advice.

Nishi_Kinuyo #18 Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:52 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8070 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Technically I'm not sure if that CPU can be called 8th gen since it is a kaby-lake CPU (7th gen) rather than a coffee-lake.

Still, a 7th gen isn't bad either, but if you insist on an 8th gen, then be on the lookout for the i3-8100H (4/4 threads, 3GHz) and i3-8109U (2/4 threads, 3GHz base, 3.6GHz turbo), which are both coffee-lake CPUs from this year.

The downside to that, of course, is that they aren't likely to be discounted since they're literally only a few months old.

And checking their site, none of their laptops have a coffee-lake i3.

In terms of performance for KSP and WoT, however, I doubt you'll notice any real differences.

For the actual laptop in question; it doesn't seem like a horrible deal to me, although it doesn't say exactly which Inspiring 15 5000 model it is (there's several).

But on almost all models, the webcam is only 720p, rather than full (1080p) HD.

Some models are fullHD resolution, others are only 1366×768.

And, depending on model, it might support only 8GB RAM total, or up to 32GB, which might be an issue if you ever intend to upgrade that.

That said, I don't really see better alternatives in that pricerange either on that website.

Or at least, when it comes to Intel CPUs, for a few dozen quid more I found this:

https://www.pcworld....180944-pdt.html

One downside is the shorter battery life.

Which I think might be a better deal, but I'd like someone with more knowledge about AMD CPUs to give me a second opinion.

@Waffle

Since it is a dell, you can enter the service tag on their support site to see the exact lists of components in your laptop.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 29 August 2018 - 09:53 AM.

TsundereWaffle #19 Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:28 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27233 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Mobile Ryzen you say? Well, they're actually pretty okay, you get a decently fast CPU to get work done with enough cores to multitask a bit and the iGPU that comes with it is enough to run eSports titles with 60 fps.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10180944-pdt.html

I guess this laptop will be the most interesting as it's the cheapest and actually also has good specs.

The only issue however is that when you do play games, you will have to turn down your resolution to 720p in the more demanding titles, but games like League of Legends or Team Fortress 2 you can run in 1080p. Next to that the HDD in the laptop is quite slow, but then again, it is just as "fast" as the one you get in the i3 laptop you linked. 

Wayneable #20 Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 43774 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Like Nishi_Kinuyo say go with the Ryzan -

https://www.pcworld....180944-pdt.html

Very good deal at that price point, it is a good all round CPU that is good for just about everything. And a GPU that is ok for light gaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users