• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

grizly1973 #1 Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

Hi guys,

As you might or might not know, Highway is most likely to come in the next patch, in it's beautiful, new HD version!

Here it is, shiny and beautiful, depicting late 1940s/early 1950s US:

Spoiler

As you can see, it is pretty immersive, having many unique buildings, lampposts, traffic lights and publicity signs and, if you haven't spotted it already, a tornado!

However, the pretty american thing that it doesen't have, and can be seen misinterpreted in these pictures are the railcar models. These ones, to be specific:

Can you see them? Yes, the ones that are used on EVERY SINGLE MAP, no matter the geographic setting they're supposed to be in... They are used on russian-themed maps (Prokhorovka, Ensk, Tundra), european-themed maps (Fisherman's Bay, Himmelsdorf, Pilsen, Westfield). Then why haven't I complained way earlier, you may ask? Well, because even though european railcars were indeed different to russian ones used in that period, they were similar; Take a look:

European Boxcar:

Russian Boxcar:

Now let's compare that to some american boxcars of the same era and see how close is WG's generic model to the actual ones and see if WG could get away with using that model instead of making a new one for american maps:

It doesen't look too promising, does it... :amazed:

OH OH OH, wait a second, what can I see in the game map pic again? There are tanker railcars right after those boxcars we talked about, let's do a comparison for tankers again then, shall we? :facepalm:

Lets see, same setup:

European Tanker:

Russian Tanker:

As you can see, WG did a really good job at reskinning the original german model they have and removing the cabin from the end to create a russian one. Model-wise, these are, again, very similar.

Let's take a look at the american tankers of the same period and see if this time they are any similar:

I think you can already guess the result of this little expertise... :unsure:

As you can see, WG has to do some work here too.

Thankfully for WG, the flatcar model used on all maps is relatively similar in resemblance to american ones (good enough) and could be used freely on Highway. ;)

And let's not forget that no american train of that time would be a true american train without a proper caboose.

Here are some caboose designs WG could model one after:

Spoiler

The only american-themed map to have trains is Live Oaks, which got them right. There is one slightly unhistorical passenger car model used on the map and thankfully the european model is not present, thankfully. :)

So, after reading all this, you may ask yourself: Why on Earth have I written an entire forum post along with many pictures and explanations on some stupid, little, unimportant railcars stuffed in the corner of a map in a tank game?

Well, given that this map is very immersive and represents the US, I believe it's a blasphemy to neglect trains.

Trains were (and still are) a part of american culture. The US is what it is today because of trains, trains are one of the biggest building blocks of america's greatness as a continent today. If those little, stupid, unimportant trains stuffed in the corner of that map wouldn't have existed, there wouldn't be no US, no Highway map and no land of freedom as we know it. Trains on an american map deserve to get the respect I try to give them in this post, because places like the ones we see on this map are built by them.

Thank you everyone for reading all this, I hope you enjoyed the read and/or pictures I attached and I'm open to new opinions and points of view on this "little" detail that made me go and write all this.

Edited by grizly1973, 31 August 2018 - 10:22 PM.

wremise #2 Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 48225 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
Dude. chill

grizly1973 #3 Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View Postwremise, on 31 August 2018 - 10:49 PM, said:

Dude. chill

Yeah maybe I took it a little too far I know.. :hiding: But still, it's something that many people notice and it's pretty importannt for actual americans. It's just a model that needs changing in the end. I made such a big deal out of it cuz it really is a big part of american history and development that's misrepresented badly here.

Jigabachi #4 Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

It was very interesting to watch those pictures, but why on Earth have you written an entire forum post along with many pictures and explanations on some stupid, little, unimportant railcars stuffed in the corner of a map in a tank game?

Block Quote

it's something that many people notice 

Do you know the definition of "many"? One out of 1000 or 10.000 is not "many".

Edited by Jigabachi, 01 September 2018 - 04:09 PM.

grizly1973 #5 Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostJigabachi, on 01 September 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

Do you know the definition of "many"? One out of 1000 or 10.000 is not "many".

Every american that knows that their trains are different than the ones of any other country will spot them very fast. We europeans won't. At least most of us.

View PostJigabachi, on 01 September 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

It was very interesting to watch those pictures, but why on Earth have you written an entire forum post along with many pictures and explanations on some stupid, little, unimportant railcars stuffed in the corner of a map in a tank game?

Well, given that this map is very immersive and represents the US, I believe it's a blasphemy to neglect trains.

Trains were (and still are) a part of american culture. The US is what it is today because of trains, trains are one of the biggest building blocks of america's greatness as a continent today. If those little, stupid, unimportant trains stuffed in the corner of that map wouldn't have existed, there wouldn't be no US, no Highway map and no land of freedom as we know it. Trains on an american map deserve to get the respect I try to give them in this post, because places like the ones we see on this map are built by them. :P

890 #6 Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42257 battles
  • [MEDAR] MEDAR

View Postgrizly1973, on 02 September 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

Trains were (and still are) a part of american culture. The US is what it is today because of trains, trains are one of the biggest building blocks of america's greatness as a continent today. If those little, stupid, unimportant trains stuffed in the corner of that map wouldn't have existed, there wouldn't be no US, no Highway map and no land of freedom as we know it. Trains on an american map deserve to get the respect I try to give them in this post, because places like the ones we see on this map are built by them. :P

omg...

wremise #7 Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 48225 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Post890, on 03 September 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

omg...

Posted Image

Kothaar #8 Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 59173 battles
  • [IGNOR] IGNOR
Next, an article about the many, many historical mistakes regarding the tanks in this game.

grizly1973 #9 Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostKothaar, on 04 September 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

Next, an article about the many, many historical mistakes regarding the tanks in this game.

This is not so much about something being "unhistorical". It's not even "unhistorical". It's even worse. It's wrong and misrepresented.

StuffKnight #10 Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30847 battles
  • [_RBP_] _RBP_

Also tagged with HD, Highway, Map, Maps, Supertest, immersion, New, train, trains, american

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users