How many games does it take....

German TDs mint sauce and lamb yum yum I suck at this game never giving up

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

NoobySkooby #1 Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14100 battles

For someone to become very good in a certain tank, i mean I know my stats are horrendously bad so you don't need to remind me thank you very much:D

But, no matter how hard I try, I just cannot make the Skorpion G work for me which, is a shame as i do like the tank but I do not wish to give up.

I also like the tier 7 waffle trager, which is in my mind similar to the t8 Skorpion g, not that other Scorpion.

Don't get me wrong i have watched the vids on the tube, know about double bushing etc etc, but still good games in the Skorpion G elude me.

Homer_J #2 Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29055 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Sometimes it is just not possible.

But then again the only stat which matters is how wide your grin is while playing.

NoobySkooby #3 Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14100 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 31 August 2018 - 11:54 PM, said:

Sometimes it is just not possible.

But then again the only stat which matters is how wide your grin is while playing.

Always big grin:D

Mr_Missclick #4 Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6578 battles

Firstly, both Skorpion and Steyr are really hard to play effectively. I don't think these vehicles are good option for somebody like you. Don't hesistate to play lower tiers. IV should be fine (and then maybe some tier VI vehicles). Firstly try to get your average dmg on value of your tank's hp. Learn maps, learn positions where to fire in each battle phase and also don't forget to look at the minimap. It's important to react quickly.

However, it's possible that some vehicles clearly don't suit you. But for now, it seems that you skipped something like learning the game and how 2 play and just jumped to tier 8.

Edited by Mr_Missclick, 01 September 2018 - 12:04 AM.

NoobySkooby #5 Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:13 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14100 battles
I know the basics, I don't see how driving a Matilda would help my driving a Skorpion, that said I suppose i do prefer heavies, but I like the TD's too.

Homer_J #6 Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29055 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNoobySkooby, on 01 September 2018 - 12:13 AM, said:

I know the basics, I don't see how driving a Matilda would help my driving a Skorpion, that said I suppose i do prefer heavies, but I like the TD's too.

It won't.

There is an oft repeated fallacy that playing low tiers teaches you how to play this game but it's plainly rubbish as anyone can see from the number of people who play through the tiers and learn nothing.

You don't even "learn the maps" as view ranges are much lower so positions which you can get away with at low tiers don't work at higher tiers.

Desyatnik_Pansy #7 Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:22 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16633 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
Depends very much on the player and the tank (I know, Captain Obvious right?). I feel like it takes me about 50-60 Battles to really start to fall into the sweetspot with a tank, but even then of course I have tanks I've not enjoyed and usually not done particularly well accordingly, and others I feel like I know how to fit right in immediately and did extremely well in. For example, I felt right at home playing the Progetto or Pantera recently, but then finishing up my T-44 Grind I never felt like I could really do well in it (and equally, I really didn't enjoy it). Or even more recently I've found I can do extremely well in the Standard B, quite well in the AMX 30 But the Skoda T 50 Has been somewhat troublesome for me (though I do like the Skoda somewhat unlike the T-44 Or most other tanks I feel like I can't quite get the hang of), even though all of them have a similar number of battles (81, 74 and 76 Respectively).

XxKuzkina_MatxX #8 Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:43 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50769 battles

Mint sauce and lamp, da hell Nooby???

Skorpion G is as good as it gets regarding tier 8 TDs and it's very different than the Steyr. The Steyr is more like the borsig, a dedicated sniper.

Knowing map positions which is suitable for you is key. Limited exposure at the start of the battle, then you can start looking for opportunities to get closer.

The gun is good, but can troll you sometimes, and using your mobility to relocate is the most important thing in using this. Whether you are abandoning a collapsing flank, looking for a shot somewhere in the map or just trying to support an alley.

Went ham on the enemy team a couple of days ago and it worked out! :)

clixor #9 Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:14 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51833 battles

Being good at a tank usually has not much to do with the tank itself but more with situational awareness. I have a bad habit of watching (bad) players when i die and one thing i notice over and over again they just don't watch the minimap and a) target actual shootable targets instead of aiming at a red dot behind a mountain b) don't have the imagination of where unspotted tanks may pop up (behind them for instance).

Partly this imo can be solved a bit by map knowledge, and hopefully learning how similar situations play out. 

Now, in the skorpion this all is even worse, because once spotted you are usually dead fast. Another thing is that is that the potential alpha you can do is verrry tempting, but you have to ask every single shot if it's worth losing a lot of hp for if it's risky.

kaneloon #10 Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28381 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

View PostNoobySkooby, on 31 August 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

For someone to become very good in a certain tank, i mean I know my stats are horrendously bad so you don't need to remind me thank you very much:D

But, no matter how hard I try, I just cannot make the Skorpion G work for me which, is a shame as i do like the tank but I do not wish to give up.

I also like the tier 7 waffle trager, which is in my mind similar to the t8 Skorpion g, not that other Scorpion.

Don't get me wrong i have watched the vids on the tube, know about double bushing etc etc, but still good games in the Skorpion G elude me.

Yeah this is very strange.

By pure chance you should have done at least a good battle with it.

What skills do you use for your crew ? First you must put camo on all of them.

And what equipment ?

I often look at the RU wiki for inspiration about crew and equipement : you go on the eu wiki and just replace the /eu/ by a /ru/

http://wiki.wargamin...metall_Skorpian

Edited by kaneloon, 01 September 2018 - 01:28 AM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #11 Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:26 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29811 battles
The thing with fat tanks with no armour you need to consider is if you pull the trigger where can you immediately move to avoid any return fire?

Sixth sense is great as backup, but it's generally a good idea to just assume you've been seen regardless and react accordingly.

Enforcer1975 #12 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
You won't learn anything by playing TDs...at least that was my conclusion. That's why i started to try HTs then MTs.
I am now playing the majority of my games with MTs and LTs which forces me to think out of the box. Also understanding game mechanics is part of gitting gud in every tank.

TheJumpMaster #13 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 47846 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNoobySkooby, on 01 September 2018 - 12:45 AM, said:

I have over 46K games and I am still shite. Saying this, I still have a grin on my face (I had it tattooed after 30K games)

Holdes #14 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19988 battles
Holy cow XxKuzkina_MatxX, almost 12k games in Skorp, lol.

I will not discover anything new by saying that Skorp is one of the best prem T8 tanks. It just requires the "avoid to be hit" skill the most, while constantly be in a position to hit something.

So avoid to be spotted at all cost, and always have always a place to fall back to, a rock, building or a ridge, anything. When spotted, fall back, and if there's arty, relocate as well. End game you go med mode, all in.

Axelfoley666 #15 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22610 battles
  • [TWD] TWD

View PostHomer_J, on 31 August 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

This.

NoobySkooby #16 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14100 battles

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 01 September 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

I have over 46K games and I am still shite. Saying this, I still have a grin on my face (I had it tattooed after 30K games)

Tattooed, wow that is hardcore, lol

Thanks guys some great replies there and I am determined to play that damn thing until i get alt least one good battle in it, I figure that if I play it more I will get better but after 377 battle in it, this may not be the case:facepalm:

As for crew Skills i have Sixth sense for the commander and camo for the rest of the crew followed by the second crew skill of brother in arms, as for other tanks, I too am getting around to enjoying mediums more as much as the heavies somehow finding tier 6 a nice sweet spot for mediums, although i love my eights too.

MeetriX #17 Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:04 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20625 battles
By my own experience I say forever +-very long time.

Vokatius #18 Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:23 AM

Private

• Player
  • 14179 battles
  • [ARTA] ARTA
Can you provide some replays, no special ones - I mean something like your last 5 battles? The list of potential mistakes and missed opportunities is so long it would be hard to give advice that is not way too general to be helpful. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #19 Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50769 battles

View PostHoldes, on 01 September 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Holy cow XxKuzkina_MatxX, almost 12k games in Skorp, lol.

It's a joy to play, makes good credits for a TD and i basically learned the game in this tank. :)

Jigabachi #20 Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:34 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17946 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Some people need more, some people need less time. It entirely depends on your ability to learn and how much effort you put into it.

What about this: Play a match, upload the replay and tell us what you did there and why you did it, followed by the problems you see with what you did and possible things you could have done better. Take your time and really think about it. If you do that a couple of times, you'll most definitely learn to do that in a running match, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users