Arty focus when in a bottom tier medium... why?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

TinCanTanker #1 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3574 battles

Hi guys, before I begin I just want to let you know this isn't another whine thread about arty but more of a cry for help as clearly I'm doing something wrong.

I seem to get focused by arty in more or less every game. I'm still crap at this game, so I'm not being xvm sniped. 7 times out of 10 I am bottom tier and in a medium tank, so I don't feel as if I should be a primary target. I am not camping. I'm not on my own out in the open, usually I am with other juicier targets.

Please for the love of god, what am I doing wrong? :( Any tips for staying a bit more arty safe would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

PipariIkkunaPesuvati #2 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10580 battles

View PostTinCanTanker, on 01 September 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

Hi guys, before I begin I just want to let you know this isn't another whine thread about arty but more of a cry for help as clearly I'm doing something wrong.

I seem to get focused by arty in more or less every game. I'm still crap at this game, so I'm not being xvm sniped. 7 times out of 10 I am bottom tier and in a medium tank, so I don't feel as if I should be a primary target. I am not camping. I'm not on my own out in the open, usually I am with other juicier targets.

Please for the love of god, what am I doing wrong? :( Any tips for staying a bit more arty safe would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

BS

cellaman7 #3 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34288 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Well you must be making yourself a target. Personally I go for the easiest target. I don't use XVM but if you were with 2 OI then i would go for you and get your gun/spotting abilities out of the game.

PipariIkkunaPesuvati #4 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10580 battles

View Postcellaman7, on 01 September 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Well you must be making yourself a target. Personally I go for the easiest target. I don't use XVM but if you were with 2 OI then i would go for you and get your gun/spotting abilities out of the game.

^^^ That.

Jigabachi #5 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17946 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTinCanTanker, on 01 September 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

Please for the love of god, what am I doing wrong?

It already starts with a bit of delusion and your understanding of "getting focused".

Play 5 matches, upload the replays and show us how you get focused in "more or less every match".

Edited by Jigabachi, 01 September 2018 - 08:58 PM.

Long_Range_Sniper #6 Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

General

• Player
  • 32961 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I seem to get focused by arty in more or less every game.

At the moment you're probably the best player on the team by a clear 1000 WN8 given that every team at the moment is populated by players who clearly struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time.

So it's probably XVM focus.

PipariIkkunaPesuvati #7 Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10580 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 01 September 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

So it's probably XVM focus.

:bajan:

TinCanTanker #8 Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3574 battles

View PostPipariIkkunaPesuvati, on 01 September 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

BS

Erh, thanks for the tips I guess.

View PostJigabachi, on 01 September 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

It already starts with a bit of delusion and your understanding of "getting focused".

Play 5 matches, upload the replays and show us how you get focused in "more or less every match".

Sure maybe you're right, it is more than likely I am not being focused and it is down to mistakes I am making. But do take note in my original post I do ask what am I likely to be doing wrong? Surely this shows I am not just reaching for a tinfoil hat and do feel as if my play could be causing me to get caught by arty more than I should. My plea for tips on staying arty safe were genuine. Looking through today's replays now.

cheers.

anonym_NZfB8HKNItci #9 Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 01 September 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

... that every team at the moment is populated by players who clearly struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time.

I think you are way too generous in assuming that they can walk, let alone have enough brain cells to understand what gum is ...

Edited by Les_chars_gris, 01 September 2018 - 09:40 PM.

mystikro #10 Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30901 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
As an arty player I can tell you that I aim for the soft targets first for the most damage. Maybe you play a soft medium? I don't use XVM since It messes with my perception of the game and I end up focusing people that are purple gold spammers and I end up getting in trouble.

TinCanTanker #11 Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3574 battles

View Postmystikro, on 01 September 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

As an arty player I can tell you that I aim for the soft targets first for the most damage. Maybe you play a soft medium? I don't use XVM since It messes with my perception of the game and I end up focusing people that are purple gold spammers and I end up getting in trouble.

Been having trouble with arty since playing in the M4 and now the Easy 8. Don't feel as if I am any squishier than any of the other mediums that are usually with me.  Hull armor is not the greatest I guess but the E8 is reasonably mobile, so I don't see myself as an easy target.

unhappy_bunny #12 Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:43 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18386 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

I'm an occasional clicker player. At the moment I am not using XVM as I can't be bothered to update my mod pack. 

I try to locate myself to a spot that I would not normally associate with arty, to avoid counter battery, and I then take a look at the usual arty spots to see if I can see any tracers. Then I wait for enemy tanks to get spotted. If they are in a position to hit, they get targetted. They may get more than 1 or 2 shots from me, especially if they dont move. In the meantime, I am watching the mini map to see what else is spotted, to see if anything looks like it could be a danger. If it does, I switch targets, If not, then the original target gets more shots, or, if it looks like he is being dealt with by other team members, I might take another look for the enemy arty again. 

Now I am aware that the target that gets multiple shots from me may think he is being focused. He may have a couple of team mates nearby, and think, why am I not shooting at them. Well the answer could be that, although they are close to him, I might not be able to hit them. He might be low health, so another shot might kill him, thus removing his gun from the enemy team. Leaving him on 10% health to focus on another tank that is 100% health, means there are 2 guns able to do damage to my team, whereas killing him reduces the danger. 

I can't advise the OP as I dont know how he plays, but lets take El Haluf as an example. Up in "heavy" corner for instance, there could be 3 or 4 tanks. 2 or 3 of them could be hugging the side of the hill and the other could be alongside them. Most arty would, likely as not, be unable to hit the ones close to the hill, but the one alongside them might be open enough to shoot. He might be a bottom tier medium and the others higher tier heavies. So what is an arty player to do? He is going to hit the tank that is more open. It might result in minor damage and loss of tracks. If he hasn't got a repair kit, he is likely got get hit again and again. So, OP, make sure you have a repair kit. That will help. If his driver get killed and he has no first aid kit, then he can't move quickly and will likely get hit again, so a first aid kit will help. And don't sit alongside other tanks, if you are on the outside you are the one who will most likely get hit or splashed. 

PowJay #13 Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35608 battles
If I can hit a medium with an SPG and damage it, I would rather that than stun yet another Japanese HT and take 50HP off it and my allies do NOTHING because they can't damage it either.

JCD3nton #14 Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:01 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22331 battles
Even if you do everything right, arty will still get you most of the time. That's why everybody hates arty and wants it removed from the game.

Vule777 #15 Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24370 battles
  • [BZVZ] BZVZ

OK, lets just END this if you are reasonable people. ARTY is part of the game, POINT of game is to destroy enemy, YOU would never hit arty just once if you spot him, YOU WILL KILL HIM, like he wants to kill you... YOU cry like babies, DON'T, grab your balls and shut up!!

Period.

OmfWOTg...you are gone toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far with this idiotic stuff. I'm arty player and if you play tier 1 and me tier 10, you would be first to kill, WITH pleasure.

22:12 Added after 4 minutes

READ THE freaking rules.....KILL OR DIE. Focusing is not forbidden so deal with it!!! FFS!

Some of you are so into this pixels that you had idea that arty can shoot just once per tank...seriously? Didn't you read that? Don't you think that that is retarded? Second brilliant thought was that WG rolled down arty because you cried here and that it is your victorry...omfg, I can kill TD tier 10 with tier 9 arty in 1 shot TODAY.

8 EIGHT freaking years...8, and you did nothing, you just fck up my M12.

Edited by Vule777, 02 September 2018 - 12:47 AM.

PhooBar #16 Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18831 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Okay, Tin Can...

I'll tell you the truth...

In our weekly arty players meeting, we put all the tank players names on a piano stool and then spin the stool.

This time, your name was one of the ones that didn't spin off.  It's got nothing to do with skill, clans, WN8 or XVM.

That means for the rest of the week, every arty player that sees you is going to focus on you and the other two guys whose names stayed on the stool.

I wouldn't make this shite up, man.

That's just how we do it.

GL&HF

TinCanTanker #17 Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3574 battles

View PostVule777, on 01 September 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

OK, lets just END this if you are reasonable people. ARTY is part of the game, POINT of game is to destroy enemy, YOU would never hit arty just once if you spot him, YOU cry like babies, DON'T!!

Period. OmfWOTg...you are gone toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far with this idiotic stuff. I'm arty player and if you play tier 1 and me tier 10, you would be first to kill, WITH pleasure.

22:12 Added after 4 minutes
READ THE freaking rules.....KILL OR DIE. Focusing is not forbidden so deal with it!!! FFS!

I wasn't crying like a baby and I didn't say focusing was breaking the rules. Focus fire is smart play.

I don't play arty so I genuinely do not understand why I would be a primary target in a bottom tier medium. I understand that this forum sees a lot of whine posts about artillery, this wasn't intended to be one of them. I was merely trying to understand why it would be the case and maybe get some tips on how to avoid it.

Blubba #18 Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54283 battles
  • [_GNR_] _GNR_

Cheers.

So why do you feel you shouldn't be the primary target?

What do you think makes you a secondary target as opposed to a primary?

Could you be mistaken?

You are not in the open and yet you seem to get 'focused' by artillery?

There are some that can hit you just about anywhere you hide to be fair and they are around tier 5/6 I suppose but, if you are getting hit more than most, maybe you are out in the open more than you think?

Just look back again at your situations and have a long look at it. I would suggest you play the odd arty but there are currently far too many out there with all these soft Polish tanks running around.

BKatt #19 Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33238 battles
  • [-LYNX] -LYNX

Cheers.

Since i havnt seen you play, ill give you a bit of advice, that may or may not help you to be targeted less often.

Bear in mind, if an arty-player is out to get you, he will.

1). Try not to get spotted first on your team, and if you are going to be, make sure you make yourself, as difficult to hit as possible.

That mean backing down slopes, so arty will either hit past you or hit the slope.

Go behind building, stones and other cover. You might be splashed, but its Better than a full-on hit.

2). Pay attention to the directional monitor, when you do get hit. That will give you a good indication where about he is. Then play the area he cannot hit.

3). If you get spotted, fall back, get unspotted and change your position. And change it often. Most arty players are lazy, and will just click away on the next spotted victim, and cba changing their aim constantly.

I hope these might help you.

GL :girl:

Vule777 #20 Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24370 battles
  • [BZVZ] BZVZ

View PostTinCanTanker, on 01 September 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

I wasn't crying like a baby and I didn't say focusing was breaking the rules. Focus fire is smart play.

I don't play arty so I genuinely do not understand why I would be a primary target in a bottom tier medium. I understand that this forum sees a lot of whine posts about artillery, this wasn't intended to be one of them. I was merely trying to understand why it would be the case and maybe get some tips on how to avoid it.

Because there is stupid people playing arty like stupid people playing other classes and other way around, smart...etc.

It's just the way it is with that much players all over the world. Many killers, convicted men, girls, mad man, kids, idiots....play this game.

I wasn't speak to you directly but every day this kind of topic pops up 10 times.

Edited by Vule777, 02 September 2018 - 12:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users