How much does crew training influence tank performance statistics?

Crew winrate premium tanks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

magkiln #1 Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23847 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE

There has been a lot of debate about certain (premium) tanks being OP/broken, and one of the pieces of evidence that is often quoted is the winrate as shown by http://www.vbaddict.net. However, what is rarely mentioned is the inherent bias created by the availability of crew trainers.

There is a huge imbalance between the number of available premium tanks (=crew trainers), as well as their cost,  for various nations and categories. For example, training a crew for a Russian heavy is incredibly easy. There are always at least two Russian premium Heavies in the shop and many more that come and go. The same holds true for German TDs/Mediums and American Mediums.  As a result, whenever you encounter a RU Heavy/Ger TD/USA Medium, chances are that it will have a well-trained crew. On the other hand, until recently there was no crew trainer for French TDs and there still isn't one for Russian light tanks (The low tier premiums aren't very useful). In many cases, even if there is a potential crew trainer, quite often the only choice is a tier 8 which only shows up now and then and may be too expensive for many players.

I am curious, do you think this distorts the statistics? Even for a new premium tank, it can have an effect. When the Defender came out, I'm sure many people had a highly trained crew ready to go. For the Canon D'Assault, probably not so much.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:09 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66073 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postmagkiln, on 03 September 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

I am curious, do you think this distorts the statistics? Even for a new premium tank, it can have an effect. When the Defender came out, I'm sure many people had a highly trained crew ready to go. For the Canon D'Assault, probably not so much.

I had a 4 skill crew in my CDA 105 in the first game... As I did the line up not keeping much... as most did. But... there is a French premium most forget. A Pak 40, a tier III premium TD. It's not a bad crew trainer still. And he got a fair bit done on that crew over the years. Just as the Matilda IV did as the only Russian prem med crew trainer for years. 

Troubledove #3 Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:35 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 42632 battles
  • [METAL] METAL
Reaching primary + three skill crew is totally doable without reserves, premium account or trainer tanks.

At that point you are atleast 99,5% efficient crew-wise.

OP tanks receive lots of gameplay thus their crews are also not the weakest link. Premium tanks stay in garage thus they receive more gameplay because of constant availability.

So... I think it's more like techtree tanks t1-t9 just tend to be skipped and more often run with unskilled crew, because of grind instead of maxing out techtree tank potential. Trainer tanks are bonus but... I don't think it matters that much. Just faster progress.

Also tagged with Crew, winrate, premium tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users