Jump to content


Who is making these new maps?

maps OP positions

  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

strezahuzum #1 Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:46 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 40410 battles
  • 205
  • Member since:
    03-23-2013

I don;t know if you guys noticed a pattern in the recent maps WG added or modified. Somebody in the map-making department seems to love inserting this kind of positions :

 

Let's see what's wrong with the picture above:

- elevated position waaay back but still within line of sight of cap circle? CHECKED

- bushes all around? CHECKED

- hard cover next to bush so you can pull back into safety after shooting? CHECKED

- open space all around so there is no covered way of approach for the other side? CHECKED

 

The only thing this place lacks is a sign saying "This is the designated kemping area for TDs".

 

The same kind of position is present on Erlenberg (the line of bushes literally next to the edges on both north and south spawns) and in  one of the Grand Battle maps. It's a terrible design and I don't understand how on earth this made it past test and supertest. Didn't anyone realize that TDs, especially high tier ones with their insane damage and pen can make this positions pretty much impossible to attack? If heavies try to approach these spots they get blown away by invisible tds that can kemp bush all game. They are located at the edge, so lights have no chance to spot bushkempers cause there is no way to go around them. And since they can cover the base without moving a meter, you can;t even go cap to force them to move their asses.

PS: And please don't come to tell me that we need the clickerwagons to solve these stalemates.



Balc0ra #2 Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:50 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 67411 battles
  • 17,151
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

And what do you think has been a common complaint on the first variant of that map?  That's why. 

 

Bushes all around is the new map meta. Also due to common complaints from LT and TD players. And if you read on the RU map section on their forum pre 1.0. You can see why. 



NoobySkooby #3 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:28 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 15126 battles
  • 3,804
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011
I like bushes, especially neatly trimmed ones, and I want more:trollface:

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:25 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 51398 battles
  • 2,125
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

View Poststrezahuzum, on 05 September 2018 - 12:46 AM, said:

- open space all around so there is no covered way of approach for the other side? CHECKED

 

Check the 0 line on the map, there's a line of continuous bushes all across the map. A good camo medium or a light can use these bushes to spot the TD balcony on both sides of the map. It only takes a good look at the map features and some brain. 

 

They are located at the edge, so lights have no chance to spot bushkempers cause there is no way to go around them.

 

That's WG philosophy on most maps. A brawling area then an open ground/killing ground leading to the enemy's cap. Enemies have the right to defend their base, you know!

 

El Halluf, Ruinberg, Live Oaks, Redshire, etc., are all having that 2 stage scenario which makes for a more interesting game play i guess. Gives either team some chances/alternatives to do something or correct a mistake made in some other part of the map. Otherwise it'll become binary, if you lose area X of the map, you lose the battle.

 

I am not arguing the strength of these defensive positions, i am just stating how they work or supposed to work.

 



Jorous #5 Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:12 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 20071 battles
  • 305
  • [TPK] TPK
  • Member since:
    04-22-2011
Yeah. Why don't the just make a map with three corridors?

Baldrickk #6 Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:20 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 30566 battles
  • 14,692
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 05 September 2018 - 02:25 AM, said:

View Poststrezahuzum, on 05 September 2018 - 12:46 AM, said:

- open space all around so there is no covered way of approach for the other side? CHECKED

 

Check the 0 line on the map, there's a line of continuous bushes all across the map. A good camo medium or a light can use these bushes to spot the TD balcony on both sides of the map. It only takes a good look at the map features and some brain. 

 

They are located at the edge, so lights have no chance to spot bushkempers cause there is no way to go around them.

 

That's WG philosophy on most maps. A brawling area then an open ground/killing ground leading to the enemy's cap. Enemies have the right to defend their base, you know!

 

El Halluf, Ruinberg, Live Oaks, Redshire, etc., are all having that 2 stage scenario which makes for a more interesting game play i guess. Gives either team some chances/alternatives to do something or correct a mistake made in some other part of the map. Otherwise it'll become binary, if you lose area X of the map, you lose the battle.

 

I am not arguing the strength of these defensive positions, i am just stating how they work or supposed to work.

 

Please actually write in your post,  it makes it harder to quote you otherwise. 

 

That 0 lime is also incredibly dangerous for any light to progress up.

There is NO solid cover there. 

You get spotted, everything up on the ridge can shoot you. 



Tiddy #7 Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:52 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 24107 battles
  • 84
  • [D2AN] D2AN
  • Member since:
    03-21-2011

I too have the feeling the new map designs seem a bit off. I know it's a game but the placement of some rocks, bushes seems too convenient. 

The symmetry of some maps is also something I really dislike. You get the feeling you are in an arena rather than a natural environment.

Again, yes it's a game but I think they can do better.



Baldrickk #8 Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 30566 battles
  • 14,692
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013
It's the completely flat ground you need to cross to get to the TDs that makes the maps really bad

doctorfrag #9 Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:07 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 27545 battles
  • 96
  • Member since:
    07-09-2015
only times ive ever gone zero line (first times in the maps) I got instant spotted by campers, very dangerous for lights

cragarion #10 Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 44728 battles
  • 2,857
  • Member since:
    07-10-2010

View Poststrezahuzum, on 04 September 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

I don;t know if you guys noticed a pattern in the recent maps WG added or modified. Somebody in the map-making department seems to love inserting this kind of positions :

 

Let's see what's wrong with the picture above:

- elevated position waaay back but still within line of sight of cap circle? CHECKED

- bushes all around? CHECKED

- hard cover next to bush so you can pull back into safety after shooting? CHECKED

- open space all around so there is no covered way of approach for the other side? CHECKED

 

The only thing this place lacks is a sign saying "This is the designated kemping area for TDs".

 

The same kind of position is present on Erlenberg (the line of bushes literally next to the edges on both north and south spawns) and in  one of the Grand Battle maps. It's a terrible design and I don't understand how on earth this made it past test and supertest. Didn't anyone realize that TDs, especially high tier ones with their insane damage and pen can make this positions pretty much impossible to attack? If heavies try to approach these spots they get blown away by invisible tds that can kemp bush all game. They are located at the edge, so lights have no chance to spot bushkempers cause there is no way to go around them. And since they can cover the base without moving a meter, you can;t even go cap to force them to move their asses.

PS: And please don't come to tell me that we need the clickerwagons to solve these stalemates.

 

They hired a critically acclaimed artist here is a video about them.

 

 

Here is the rest of the art team.

 

 

:trollface:



ExistanceUK #11 Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 15733 battles
  • 178
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1
  • Member since:
    08-29-2015

View PostJorous, on 05 September 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

Yeah. Why don't the just make a map with three corridors?

 

They already have that covered, they are called Abbey, Mountain Pass and Mines, plus you could make an argument for Ensk and Himmelsdorf to be in that list as well. 

 


Edited by ExistanceUK, 05 September 2018 - 09:35 AM.


FizzleMcSnizzle #12 Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7339 battles
  • 476
  • Member since:
    05-21-2018

I'm pretty sure it's Sergei. He has some military experience - he was the test monkey in an aborted Soviet rocket test. He's since built a career in map design.

Have just noticed Cragarion's photos above. Sergei is the second one.


Edited by FizzleMcSnizzle, 05 September 2018 - 09:41 AM.


puffbodie #13 Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:12 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 22241 battles
  • 72
  • Member since:
    09-23-2015

View Poststrezahuzum, on 04 September 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

I don;t know if you guys noticed a pattern in the recent maps WG added or modified. Somebody in the map-making department seems to love inserting this kind of positions :

 

Let's see what's wrong with the picture above:

- elevated position waaay back but still within line of sight of cap circle? CHECKED

- bushes all around? CHECKED

- hard cover next to bush so you can pull back into safety after shooting? CHECKED

- open space all around so there is no covered way of approach for the other side? CHECKED

 

The only thing this place lacks is a sign saying "This is the designated kemping area for TDs".

 

The same kind of position is present on Erlenberg (the line of bushes literally next to the edges on both north and south spawns) and in  one of the Grand Battle maps. It's a terrible design and I don't understand how on earth this made it past test and supertest. Didn't anyone realize that TDs, especially high tier ones with their insane damage and pen can make this positions pretty much impossible to attack? If heavies try to approach these spots they get blown away by invisible tds that can kemp bush all game. They are located at the edge, so lights have no chance to spot bushkempers cause there is no way to go around them. And since they can cover the base without moving a meter, you can;t even go cap to force them to move their asses.

PS: And please don't come to tell me that we need the clickerwagons to solve these stalemates.

 

No problem to spot them from the middle around those "grey/black" hills. But you need LT player with brain and biggest problem of this game are potatoes in back who mostly can't hit house in front of them so it takes time to clear that area.

Slyspy #14 Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:16 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 14205 battles
  • 16,760
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-07-2011
I wonder what sort of map design would please WoT players?

FizzleMcSnizzle #15 Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7339 battles
  • 476
  • Member since:
    05-21-2018

View PostSlyspy, on 05 September 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

I wonder what sort of map design would please WoT players?

Art deco. 



XxKuzkina_MatxX #16 Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 51398 battles
  • 2,125
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

View PostBaldrickk, on 05 September 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

That 0 lime is also incredibly dangerous for any light to progress up.

There is NO solid cover there. 

You get spotted, everything up on the ridge can shoot you. 

 

Same as the 1-2 line in Prokhorovka, very dangerous if you get spotted but also very rewarding if you play it smart.

 

You just need more time on this map.



NoobySkooby #17 Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 15126 battles
  • 3,804
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostFizzleMcSnizzle, on 05 September 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

Art deco. 

 

Shame we could not have a London map, come on just who would not feel cool taking their type 5 for a trundle down Piccadilly, or rocking up at Number 10 in your Black Prince:trollface:

FizzleMcSnizzle #18 Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7339 battles
  • 476
  • Member since:
    05-21-2018

View PostNoobySkooby, on 05 September 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

 

Shame we could not have a London map, come on just who would not feel cool taking their type 5 for a trundle down Piccadilly, or rocking up at Number 10 in your Black Prince:trollface:

London would be cool. Somewhere by the Tower maybe. Nothing WG loves more than a river, and a castle.



Steeleye_Spam #19 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:34 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 29838 battles
  • 277
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-31-2014
With limited experience of them so far, I have to say I've enjoyed all three new maps. Plenty of space, limited dead areas, hardly any non-accessible areas, plenty of room to snipe, brawl, spot and flank. I'll take these over maps like mountain pass any day of the week.

zlaja031 #20 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 7483 battles
  • 178
  • Member since:
    03-14-2012
I wonder why WG doesn't release tool for making maps, so community can design and vote good ones... 




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users