Jump to content


First time playing arty and just wow...


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

chillsnotskills #1 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 16569 battles
  • 150
  • Member since:
    05-10-2014

M44 is the subject, bought it after 16k games. (Well i bought S-51 three years ago and played 3 battles, sold it).

 

So this is my first time i actually played arty and only because missions request me to stun people. I hate arty and thats the only thing thats ruining the game for me and i know that im ruining it for others now and im sorry.

But just until i finish the missions and then its out. If i hit you i apologize in advance.

 

Now I see how hard it is to avoid it, and how OP it is. Now i see how i was very much wrong in thinking that i was arty safe in some positions and how easily can i be hit there. And im always avoiding it as best as best as i can. You can hit anyone almost anywhere and i had so much influence on the games that i cant believe it, especially in platoon. I would assist my buddy in KV2 and we would really have huge effect on the game, even against tier 8. Played 22 games and have 59% wr.

 

Played a game on prohkorovka and did 2280 damage which is ridiculooooous because i was in the corner scratching my balls and clicking at the enemy thst doesnt see me because im out of the render range. (Tiger and Churchill i'm so sorry, really, i feel for you).

 

Arty is ruining the game and i would be happy if they removed it completely. Anyone who says: " you wouldnt say its OP if you played it and see how hard it is". Well its not, its made for idiots. Really.

 

I'm an idiot for playing it, sorry in advance. I just had to write my experience and apologize for being a sky cancer.

 

Edit:  I dont have XVM but i can clearly see who is good and moves a lot and tries not to get hit. Sometimes it helpes. 


Edited by chillsnotskills, 05 September 2018 - 01:21 PM.


cragarion #2 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 43833 battles
  • 2,548
  • Member since:
    07-10-2010

View Postchillsnotskills, on 05 September 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

M44 is the subject, bought it after 16k games. (Well i bought S-51 three years ago and played 3 battles, sold it).

 

So this is my first time i actually played arty and only because missions request me to stun people. I hate arty and thats the only thing thats ruining the game for me and i know that im ruining it for others now and im sorry.

But just until i finish the missions and then its out. If i hit you i apologize in advance.

 

Now I see how hard it is to avoid it, and how OP it is. Now i see how i was very much wrong in thinking that i was arty safe in some positions and how easily can i be hit there. And im always avoiding it as best as best as i can. You can hit anyone almost anywhere and i had so much influence on the games that i cant believe it, especially in platoon. I would assist my buddy in KV2 and we would really have huge effect on the game, even against tier 8. Played 22 games and have 59% wr.

 

Played a game on prohkorovka and did 2280 damage which is ridiculooooous because i was in the corner scratching my balls and clicking at the enemy thst doesnt see me because im out of the render range. (Tiger and Churchill i'm so sorry, really, i feel for you).

 

Arty is ruining the game and i would be happy if they removed it completely. Anyone who says: " you wouldnt say its OP if you played it and see how hard it is". Well its not, its made for idiots. Really.

 

I'm an idiot for playing it, sorry in advance. I just had to write my experience and apologize for being a sky cancer.

 

Edit:  I dont have XVM but i can clearly see who is good and moves a lot and tries not to get hit. Sometimes it helpes. 

 

Oh really ?.

 

Tank
T
Battles
WN8
WR
Wespe III 29 327,00 48,28%
G.Pz. Mk. VI II 5 557,02 60,00%
S-51 VII 3 261,00 66,67%
Pz.Sfl. IVb IV 1 965,41 0,00%


SaintMaddenus #3 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:29 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 34505 battles
  • 1,277
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    03-04-2011

 "Now i see how i was very much wrong in thinking that i was arty safe in some positions and how easily can i be hit there. And im always avoiding it as best as best as i can. You can hit anyone almost anywhere and i had so much influence on the games that i cant believe it, especially in platoon. I would assist my buddy in KV2 and we would really have huge effect on the game, even against tier 8. Played 22 games and have 59% wr."

Sounds right.  Played properly you can alter the gameplay way above the tier of the tank.


 

If you get as "good" at arty as you are otherwise you will be a nightmare for others.  This is why I am so opposed to more than 1 arty.   I play it quite well and I can influence a game and I'm not a particular good player.


 

But I am glad that you recognise that your assumptions about safety were wrong, you can be assured a good arty play will relocate properly so NO location is safe.


 


 



chillsnotskills #4 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:31 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 16569 battles
  • 150
  • Member since:
    05-10-2014

View Postcragarion, on 05 September 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

 

Oh really ?.

 

Tank
T
Battles
WN8
WR
Wespe III 29 327,00 48,28%
G.Pz. Mk. VI II 5 557,02 60,00%
S-51 VII 3 261,00 66,67%
Pz.Sfl. IVb IV 1 965,41 0,00%

 

Ah sorry, that was maybe my first month of the game, i didnt even know what arty was, or anything else in fact. Forgot about those lower tiers.

12:37 Added after 5 minutes

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 05 September 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

 "Now i see how i was very much wrong in thinking that i was arty safe in some positions and how easily can i be hit there. And im always avoiding it as best as best as i can. You can hit anyone almost anywhere and i had so much influence on the games that i cant believe it, especially in platoon. I would assist my buddy in KV2 and we would really have huge effect on the game, even against tier 8. Played 22 games and have 59% wr."

Sounds right.  Played properly you can alter the gameplay way above the tier of the tank.


 

If you get as "good" at arty as you are otherwise you will be a nightmare for others.  This is why I am so opposed to more than 1 arty.   I play it quite well and I can influence a game and I'm not a particular good player.


 

But I am glad that you recognise that your assumptions about safety were wrong, you can be assured a good arty play will relocate properly so NO location is safe.


 


 

 

I relocate often so i can get good shots on the streets in some cities, truly no one is safe. :(

If the flank is about to fall i'm running immediately, thats what most of them dont do, better for me when im not in arty, easy kill.



Homer_J #5 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:37 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • 29,568
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

Muhahaha another convert in the making. :trollface:

 

Now you see why WG included arty only missions. :arta:



chillsnotskills #6 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 16569 battles
  • 150
  • Member since:
    05-10-2014

View PostHomer_J, on 05 September 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Muhahaha another convert in the making. :trollface:

 

Now you see why WG included arty only missions. :arta:

 

I would rather if they didnt. Ever. Its a waste of my time which i need to be spending grinding real tanks.



Balc0ra #7 Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:46 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 65967 battles
  • 16,088
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

View Postchillsnotskills, on 05 September 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

I'm an idiot for playing it, sorry in advance. I just had to write my experience and apologize for being a sky cancer.

 

No need to be. I only bought my tier X SPG's for missions alone back in the day too. But look at it from a different aspect. You are now learning how they work by playing them. It's why I did grind arty lines. Simply to know thy enemy. Not to be a douche. Since I have played a few of them. I know the blind zones of most SPG's on a map. Or even that the French tier 7+ SPG's can't even hit over small ridgelines. And the M44 is a commonly used mission arty. So it's not like you don't face them rarely. So knowing its limits can be handy too. 



nakkipeppu #8 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 30969 battles
  • 211
  • [LGGF] LGGF
  • Member since:
    04-10-2012

There's really no class like arty while it comes to playing the game while drinking beer. Just saying.

 

To be honest, I'm not sure where your conclusion that it's OP comes from. You play the best tier6 arty well, and you get more or less results that are more or less in line with tier6 tanks, so in that sense, it's balanced. Your averages will probably settle somewhere below your best tier6 tanks in the longer run, but if they don't, congratulations.

 

Apart from all that, you describe a class with high skill floor and low skill ceiling, which arty definitely is. Almost every game has a class, weapon or deck like this, easy to access and allows the player to punch above his/her weight in the beginning, but the limitations start to hinder the effectiveness of it when the player gets better.



Homer_J #9 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • 29,568
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View Postchillsnotskills, on 05 September 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

 

I would rather if they didnt. Ever. Its a waste of my time which i need to be spending grinding real tanks.

 

I hope you activated the arty missions from the first campaign too.  Easy credits and other bonuses to be had there.

SaintMaddenus #10 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 34505 battles
  • 1,277
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    03-04-2011

 

 

 

"allows the player to punch above his/her weight in the beginning, but the limitations start to hinder the effectiveness of it when the player gets better."

 

"If the flank is about to fall i'm running immediately, thats what most of them dont do"

 

He's already playing above what many arty do.   I play arty, I always advise arty when to move.  about 9 out of 10 don't even the French ones.   I get the German ones are slow but its a mentality most people complain about is unfortunately true.


 

Lack of movement, and that urge to get the kill rather than support.   Question for op though.   how much Team damage did you do? 


 


 



the_nebuchadnezzar #11 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:41 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 46826 battles
  • 1,107
  • Member since:
    08-19-2013
Arties are fun to play and a necesary evil. So stop crying about them and carry on.

Edweird #12 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 8543 battles
  • 992
  • Member since:
    08-22-2017
Try the Lefefehehe it will change your mind.

No need to apologise you can blow me up anytime.



Jigabachi #13 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:47 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17923 battles
  • 18,933
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011
Hey, an arty thread! Didn't have one of those since... yesterday or so.
The problems are well known and so is all the the whining.
WG needs to further balance arty, one half asked change within many years won't help.
And you might want to google what "OP" means.

P.S.: I hope that you now open a thread about other problems, too. E.g. about truly OP tanks, like your most played one.

Simeon85 #14 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 1097 battles
  • 2,766
  • Member since:
    04-19-2013

View Postcragarion, on 05 September 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

 

Oh really ?.

 

Tank
T
Battles
WN8
WR
Wespe III 29 327,00 48,28%
G.Pz. Mk. VI II 5 557,02 60,00%
S-51 VII 3 261,00 66,67%
Pz.Sfl. IVb IV 1 965,41 0,00%

 

Arty below tier 5 is trash and irrelevant, it's completely out of place in those tiers which is essentially a giant mess more akin to a destruction derby than the gameplay you see at mid to higher tiers.

 

Playing arty at those tiers is like playing hungry hungry hippos with a teaspoon. 

 

This doesn't just apply to arty really, it's lower tiers in general, they are a terrible starting place for new players. 



FizzleMcSnizzle #15 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4460 battles
  • 436
  • Member since:
    05-21-2018

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 05 September 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

Arties are fun to play and a necesary evil. So stop crying about them and carry on.

They are not a necessary evil at all. I think that myth was largely discredited years ago. But they are evil. The odd situation where the enemy has a heavy tank entrenched in a strong position means nothing, when your own clicker is just as happy to aim at the isolated and tracked medium, stunning his encircling teammates in the process. For most, the game would not only survive without artillery, it would be all the better for it.


Edited by FizzleMcSnizzle, 05 September 2018 - 02:54 PM.


XxKuzkina_MatxX #16 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:52 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 48906 battles
  • 1,637
  • [RU18] RU18
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

So you played 22 games in an artillery and you feel bad about it but the 1400 games in the T67 doesn't even register right???

 

That's some duality that would make Nietzsche proud!



malaquey #17 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 30205 battles
  • 185
  • Member since:
    01-03-2013

I know your feelings OP, I played lot's of Arty trying to unlock obj 260 which I did btw.

 

I felt so dirty, I was laughing like a maniac when I hit moving targets for 900+ dmg while sipping coffee on the other hand. I was literally head desking in awe of the stupidity of such mechanic.

 

I am glad I don't play this game anymore.


Edited by malaquey, 05 September 2018 - 02:54 PM.


chillsnotskills #18 Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:59 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 16569 battles
  • 150
  • Member since:
    05-10-2014

View PostHomer_J, on 05 September 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

 

I hope you activated the arty missions from the first campaign too.  Easy credits and other bonuses to be had there.

 

Thanks, already started. Easy money on that stug. 

14:05 Added after 5 minutes

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 05 September 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

 

 

 

"allows the player to punch above his/her weight in the beginning, but the limitations start to hinder the effectiveness of it when the player gets better."

 

"If the flank is about to fall i'm running immediately, thats what most of them dont do"

 

He's already playing above what many arty do.   I play arty, I always advise arty when to move.  about 9 out of 10 don't even the French ones.   I get the German ones are slow but its a mentality most people complain about is unfortunately true.


 

Lack of movement, and that urge to get the kill rather than support.   Question for op though.   how much Team damage did you do? 


 


 

 

99% moves wgen you come close and shoot them. True what you said, they would rather shoot one more shot or they are completely unaware of the map and falling flank. When you relocate you can change the course of the game and kill a few more.

 

I only once damaged our KV2 when he was face hugging e25, you know how that ends. 

14:09 Added after 10 minutes

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 05 September 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

So you played 22 games in an artillery and you feel bad about it but the 1400 games in the T67 doesn't even register right???

 

That's some duality that would make Nietzsche proud!

 

My first tier 5, and yeah, make a mistake with t67 and you are gone in 2 shots. Yes, i feel bad killing the eneny which i cant even spot and is 300 m from render circle. With any other class you have to be exposed to taking a shot. Like you know already. Not the same.

 

Btw 12k battles in skorpion g lol. 

14:13 Added after 14 minutes

View Postmalaquey, on 05 September 2018 - 01:54 PM, said:

I know your feelings OP, I played lot's of Arty trying to unlock obj 260 which I did btw.

 

I felt so dirty, I was laughing like a maniac when I hit moving targets for 900+ dmg while sipping coffee on the other hand. I was literally head desking in awe of the stupidity of such mechanic.

 

I am glad I don't play this game anymore.

 

Its fun because it's stupid. And you're like god damn how is this even real and you just feel sorry. 

 

Edited by chillsnotskills, 05 September 2018 - 03:17 PM.


XxKuzkina_MatxX #19 Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:34 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 48906 battles
  • 1,637
  • [RU18] RU18
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

View Postchillsnotskills, on 05 September 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

My first tier 5, and yeah, make a mistake with t67 and you are gone in 2 shots. Yes, i feel bad killing the eneny which i cant even spot and is 300 m from render circle. With any other class you have to be exposed to taking a shot. Like you know already. Not the same.

 

Btw 12k battles in skorpion g lol.

 

No not really your first tier 5, that was the T34, Pz IV or the Stug more likely.

 

Also nobody ever called the skorpion a low tier seal clubbing tank! It's a tier 8 premium that makes good credits and gets shafted as bottom tier most of the time as every other tier 8 tank. I'll be playing it for another 12k battles btw.

 

So not the same at all as fighting semi blind enemies that doesn't have a clue in a tank with excellent camo and 2.5k DPM!!!



TungstenHitman #20 Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 21504 battles
  • 4,005
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Ya I did the same for 2 sets of PM with honors to get all my orders back and camo etc. They're absolute filth, and that's being polite about it. Especially coming from playing all other classes for thousands of battles I KNEW where everyone was on all the maps, the choices on maps are just so limited and always the same locations, I didn't even need anyone to spot for me. All the open maps and semi-open maps it's always the same bushes and the same corners and I did a LOT of harm. Even on city maps where you can't really play them, I just followed my super heavies and side scrape derped enemy tanks once they had taken their shots. If anything, it really highlighted what complete window lickers most SPG players are since they hadn't a clue how to use them.

 

Boring, easy and way too effective and rewarding for risking nothing and KNOWING nothing about anything much in this game. You don't need to know weak spots, you don't need to know maps, you don't need to know tactics and gameplay associated with anything... hell you don't even need to move from the start to be an effective arty player. If you happen to actually know maps and everything I mentioned, you will be a lethal spg player, an absolute [insert bad word of choice] to enemy tanks and teams... they're just filth






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users