how do you play tank destroyers effectively?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

TacoTacoTaco #1 Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:15 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15557 battles

I've been playing up the german tech tree and I am really enjoying the tanks so far, however I seem to lose more often in tank destroyers than in other tanks. Can people give me some tips on how to maximize my contribution in games when I am in a tank destroyer? In particular how to avoid the below:

• Be caught defending on one flank alone as the team has gone the other side, are there places to sit and not go with them?
  • Be last one alive on a flank because the team pushed in to the enemy so I couldn't help (could I have helped?)

Appreciate the help, enjoying light tanks very much but want to play different types too :)

Geoffrey_Ironfist #2 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40613 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

I am not really an experienced player but I I feel it is the responsibility of the turreted tanks to work out where the TD support is and use it. Perhaps it would help to play TDs in a platoon with a normal tank to minimise these issues. I find that at the somewhat higher levels, people sometimes change tactics depending on whether there are TDs or SPGs and how many but at tier II randomness is what happens.

magkiln #3 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25411 battles

• The closed top TD line (Hetzer, StugIIIG, Jpanzer IV, Jpanther etc) start out as sniper/ambushers, which are best played by staying in concealment and either sniping from a distance, or sneaking up on someone and then blasting them) At higher tiers, they become assault guns that you can use in a more controntational way on city maps.
  • the open TD line (Marder38, Nashorn, St Emil, etc) are basically pure snipers and should always stay in concealment and fight at long range.

For both lines my main advice at low tier is 'Stay Hidden' They have little to no armour, are low on hitpoints, and  cannot brawl.  So, as to the point you mentioned, keep an eye on the minimap.

1. Learn the maps, so that you know where you can find good concealment and long lines of fire.
  2. Never cross open spaces where you can be spotted.
  3. Learn the concealment rules and use 'double bushes' to stay hidden when firing.
  4. If the enemy is so close that you will be detected if you shoot, think twice before firing.
  5. Don't go anywhere alone and stay behind the team. You need them to spot for you. If you do your own spotting, the enemy will see you when you fire.
  6. Never try to 'hold a flank' You cannot! You lack the armour to take return fire.
  7. Keep an eye on the mini map, so you can start running in time, don't leave it to the last moment.

Hamsterkicker #4 Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47440 battles
  • [KWAAK] KWAAK

Best tip maybe is to enlarge your minimap (with +-key) and in settings to enable the minimap display to show your maximum view and render range circles.  This last thing helps a lot to find out how far out you could potentially see an enemy coming at you.. If that happens and you have a good position (just 10 m behind a bush) you can fire at them without them ever being able to see you.

Tramp_In_Armour #5 Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12009 battles

View PostTacoTacoTaco, on 06 September 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

I've been playing up the german tech tree and I am really enjoying the tanks so far, however I seem to lose more often in tank destroyers than in other tanks. Can people give me some tips on how to maximize my contribution in games when I am in a tank destroyer? In particular how to avoid the below:

• Be caught defending on one flank alone as the team has gone the other side, are there places to sit and not go with them?
  • Be last one alive on a flank because the team pushed in to the enemy so I couldn't help (could I have helped?)

Appreciate the help, enjoying light tanks very much but want to play different types too :)

Been wondering this myself. In my experience, it's more difficult to influence a match in a support tank than in other types. Playing a TD is subtler and harder than I first thought. I think that, rather than focusing on simply doing damage, you have to read your team and the flow of battle better than in other tanks. For instance, look to where the main attack is going and seeing how you can support it, but then also watching to see which flank might collapse and where you can place yourself to block the enemy advance. As TDs tend to be less mobile, and can't get stuck in like other tanks might, you have to read this ahead of time so that you can already be in position. This requires an almost impossible mind-reading skill, but it's necessary, I think. The good thing is, since you are camping and watching the action, you have the time (if you apply it) to watch the mini map more and attempt to predict how things will go. Because of this, there's no set routine of go here, camp and job done. You have to be proactive without exposing yourself. Pretty damn hard, but satisfying when you manage it.

Oh, and it helps to have very good map knowledge. You need to know the map better because you have to shoot over a larger part of it.

kaneloon #6 Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 34730 battles
Don't answer guys, just a trolling post from a reroll.

Cuck0osNest #7 Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13253 battles
  • [YGDRA] YGDRA

By paying to win, man 

And if you mean classic TDs, like this, man

Edited by Cuck0osNest, 07 September 2018 - 09:56 PM.

TacoTacoTaco #8 Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15557 battles

View PostTramp_In_Armour, on 07 September 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

Been wondering this myself. In my experience, it's more difficult to influence a match in a support tank than in other types. Playing a TD is subtler and harder than I first thought. I think that, rather than focusing on simply doing damage, you have to read your team and the flow of battle better than in other tanks. For instance, look to where the main attack is going and seeing how you can support it, but then also watching to see which flank might collapse and where you can place yourself to block the enemy advance. As TDs tend to be less mobile, and can't get stuck in like other tanks might, you have to read this ahead of time so that you can already be in position. This requires an almost impossible mind-reading skill, but it's necessary, I think. The good thing is, since you are camping and watching the action, you have the time (if you apply it) to watch the mini map more and attempt to predict how things will go. Because of this, there's no set routine of go here, camp and job done. You have to be proactive without exposing yourself. Pretty damn hard, but satisfying when you manage it.

Oh, and it helps to have very good map knowledge. You need to know the map better because you have to shoot over a larger part of it.

That's a good point actually, I am used to playing tanks that are fast enough to run away and get back behind the team, not so easy in a td! I'll look to plan ahead more often in games, thanks :)
21:16 Added after 7 minutes

View Postmagkiln, on 07 September 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

• The closed top TD line (Hetzer, StugIIIG, Jpanzer IV, Jpanther etc) start out as sniper/ambushers, which are best played by staying in concealment and either sniping from a distance, or sneaking up on someone and then blasting them) At higher tiers, they become assault guns that you can use in a more controntational way on city maps.
  • the open TD line (Marder38, Nashorn, St Emil, etc) are basically pure snipers and should always stay in concealment and fight at long range.

For both lines my main advice at low tier is 'Stay Hidden' They have little to no armour, are low on hitpoints, and  cannot brawl.  So, as to the point you mentioned, keep an eye on the minimap.

1. Learn the maps, so that you know where you can find good concealment and long lines of fire.
  2. Never cross open spaces where you can be spotted.
  3. Learn the concealment rules and use 'double bushes' to stay hidden when firing.
  4. If the enemy is so close that you will be detected if you shoot, think twice before firing.
  5. Don't go anywhere alone and stay behind the team. You need them to spot for you. If you do your own spotting, the enemy will see you when you fire.
  6. Never try to 'hold a flank' You cannot! You lack the armour to take return fire.
  7. Keep an eye on the mini map, so you can start running in time, don't leave it to the last moment.

I appreciate the tips, I think learning the maps a bit more will be a good idea, I keep getting shot from places I didn't think I could get shot from!

Babbet_1 #9 Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17380 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postkaneloon, on 07 September 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

So is there a rule now against rerolls asking sensible questions? Just asking!

Isharial #10 Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:26 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 33456 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

a few tips:

1) don't get caught in the "im a TD, me kemp here" mentality. your a tank, just like the others, and you usually have a bigger gun than everyone else, so get stuck in and make someone feel the hurt :justwait:

there are exceptions, but use your tank and its gun. you usually have decent camo and workable view range so you don't have to sit in the first bush you find (and you shouldn't!)

2) carry some gold ammo (or a full gold loadout) the latter is preferable :P seriously though, do at least carry a few rounds, not every tank, even as a TD, is pennable by just your standard rounds

3) run camo paint, atleast skill and try to max out your view range. there's nothing worse than not being able to spot anything.. so max it out and you'll catch a few people off guard

4) don't go alone (but that's not just TD) going alone isn't going to win you any games, regardless of how good you are unless the enemy really really suck, but that's generally games few and far between

5) remember the limits of your vehicle. don't charge something fast you know you cant beat, pick the things you can, and leave those you cant for someone else. there's no point firing and giving your position away at a tank showing only its strongest armour, if you don't get whacked for it, you'll just be unable to fire when something you could have hit pops up.

AzoreanOutkast #11 Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14533 battles

Some rule of thumbs as TDs go, hope it helps:

1- Learn your tanks strengths and weaknesses and the enemies too!

(u gotta know what u can get out of it, the camo values, dispersion values, reload time, visual range. penetration of your gun, u gotta know what equipment works best on it, what perks to train in your crews, what ammo to carry and were to shoot)

2- Use camo as u can, whenever u can!

(bushes, camo net, paint on tank, crew skills)

3- Learn to hold your fire even when u got a easy shot

(sometimes its not just about shooting ppl, is about knowing when to shoot and when not to shoot, to hold a shot may just be what makes u keep on the position u were in and deal alot more damage and hurt to the enemy team, most players blast away and get spotted and waste a good situation, sometimes just spottin the enemy can make a huge diference, and maybe your teammates may come and help and them u can fire)

4- Learn the maps and to read the minimap 

(knowing the spots u can hide on, the key positions from where u can dominate a map, area, flank, its crucial, also correct reading of the minimap means u can be influential on the game, even if u dont fire a shot!)

5- Learn to properly relocate and suport

(most players start game, camp in a spot and stay there till they either win or die, wich is a mistake, when u start a battle, start with a plan on where to deploy ur TD, u may have to readjust cause of your teams movement or if enemy gets there first or u get spotted moving to it, also try to keep in a position u can see your teammates so u can suport them as they go with accurate fire, and move closer if need be, or retreat if u see they are gonna be overrun.

6- Playing as a TD is like playing chess

(u gotta always be thinking in the next move, where to go, what to do, were to stay... Ur not fast normally, and u dont have alot of armor so u must use ur brain)

7- Learn patient and to give up on a kill

(dont be sucked into chasing a target or continue to fire if spotted by enemies, live to fight another time, take your time to take a shot, aim well and think were to hit it, also if u wait the enemy can come into a more open area were he will be at your mercy and he wouldnt if u rushed the shot)

Edited by AzoreanOutkast, 16 September 2018 - 05:16 PM.

TacoTacoTaco #12 Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15557 battles

View PostBabbet_1, on 15 September 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

So is there a rule now against rerolls asking sensible questions? Just asking!

I love how people care about my statistics, regardless of whether I played before or not I still don't know how to play tank destroyers xD

Fortunately most people have been offering some good advice, it's actually helped my heavy tank game play too, appreciate it! :)

20:17 Added after 3 minutes

View PostAzoreanOutkast, on 16 September 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

Some rule of thumbs as TDs go, hope it helps:

1- Learn your tanks strengths and weaknesses and the enemies too!

(u gotta know what u can get out of it, the camo values, dispersion values, reload time, visual range. penetration of your gun, u gotta know what equipment works best on it, what perks to train in your crews, what ammo to carry and were to shoot)

2- Use camo as u can, whenever u can!

(bushes, camo net, paint on tank, crew skills)

3- Learn to hold your fire even when u got a easy shot

(sometimes its not just about shooting ppl, is about knowing when to shoot and when not to shoot, to hold a shot may just be what makes u keep on the position u were in and deal alot more damage and hurt to the enemy team, most players blast away and get spotted and waste a good situation, sometimes just spottin the enemy can make a huge diference, and maybe your teammates may come and help and them u can fire)

4- Learn the maps and to read the minimap 

(knowing the spots u can hide on, the key positions from where u can dominate a map, area, flank, its crucial, also correct reading of the minimap means u can be influential on the game, even if u dont fire a shot!)

5- Learn to properly relocate and suport

(most players start game, camp in a spot and stay there till they either win or die, wich is a mistake, when u start a battle, start with a plan on where to deploy ur TD, u may have to readjust cause of your teams movement or if enemy gets there first or u get spotted moving to it, also try to keep in a position u can see your teammates so u can suport them as they go with accurate fire, and move closer if need be, or retreat if u see they are gonna be overrun.

6- Playing as a TD is like playing chess

(u gotta always be thinking in the next move, where to go, what to do, were to stay... Ur not fast normally, and u dont have alot of armor so u must use ur brain)

7- Learn patient and to give up on a kill

(dont be sucked into chasing a target or continue to fire if spotted by enemies, live to fight another time, take your time to take a shot, aim well and think were to hit it, also if u wait the enemy can come into a more open area were he will be at your mercy and he wouldnt if u rushed the shot)

Great advice, thank you. I mess up on 3 and 7 far too often, i'll work on those next. I get suckered in to thinking the game is won and attack in my tank destroyer only to find the team dies and I'm out of position, i'll look at being more careful. :facepalm:

Bexleyheath #13 Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10871 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Step 1: Get a turreted TD

Step 2: Play it like a medium

SUCCESS!

RockyRoller #14 Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 46334 battles
  • [DOP3] DOP3

there are three types of tank destroyer.

The assassin, the scout and the nutcracker,

The former has has to hide at the back, fire until seen and then run. The next type was designed to advance ahead of the main force, hide, fire at first contact and relocate.

Both have low armour the main difference is how fast in kph they are, the fastest ones used to be the first to make contact with the enemy in war, fire and run like mad towards support of the main forces.

The latter are  very slow, because of very thick armour as they carry the concept of mobile steel wall designed to get up real close and blow up stuff on the way, so very slow but thick armour.

Nexuo #15 Posted 24 September 2018 - 04:47 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25557 battles
  • [DPG1] DPG1

View Postkaneloon, on 07 September 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

The only troll is you here.... :sceptic:

Good tips about TD's. I don't play TD's at all so those are some nice points for if i start with TD's.

Babbet_1 #16 Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17380 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTacoTacoTaco, on 19 September 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

I love how people care about my statistics, regardless of whether I played before or not I still don't know how to play tank destroyers xD

I'm sorry if you thought I was commenting on your stats - as a matter of principle (and avoidance of charges of hypocrisy) I would never do that! My comment was merely a poor attempt at sarcasm directed towards the guy who called you a troll!  :)

Bordhaw #17 Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:50 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17928 battles

Ignore all the above and just wait for the new Russia Tier 8 premium turreted TD....

_217_ #18 Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29768 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBordhaw, on 25 September 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

Ignore all the above and just wait for the new Russia Tier 8 premium turreted TD....

Good luck to me, fighting that in my T6 VK 30.02 M or JagdPanzer IV... pull down trousers, bent over and ask them to hurry up as Aging Jedi said....

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 25 September 2018 - 11:29 AM.

_217_ #19 Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29768 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Regarding playing TD's...(re)buy a Marder 38 T, binocs, rammer and net and just experiment with different playstyles. Brawling is a no go but the little bugger's mobility, DPM and penetration make it suitable for scouting and flanking too. The German name for this kind of tank is tank hunter so use it such! Lots of laughs guaranteed! 

Kothaar #20 Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 68586 battles
  • [IGNOR] IGNOR
There are two ways to play a TD.

1) Camp. Drive to your favorite spot and wait for someone to approach so you can shoot them.

2) Be proactive. Drive towards the battle, try to help your team.

The first one will net you exp on every battle but people wont like you and will call you noob and camper and ding on your spot. The second one will get you killed quicker but at least your team wont hate you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users