Jump to content


Why is WoT so hard ?


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Etre_ #1 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:31 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 52159 battles
  • 1,330
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB
  • Member since:
    04-21-2014

That is a honest question. 

 

I'll start by giving you an example. Me and another guy on Karelia get assaulted by 3 tanks. We are alone. This guy (in 268v4) is facing middle where at some point some tanks were spotted. I'm trying to delay so he will turn around and between shots I call for him to help. I even drive a few meters back and push him, nothing. Not until a tank pops 10 m away and shoots twice in his back, he starts to notice something .... tries to rush him and dies in 20 seconds (there was an E4 having line of sight there).

 

I'm so baffled by this guy that I take a look at his stats. 17000 battles .... so after 17000 battles he doesn't notice someone flanking him. 

There is a consensus among other players I know that you need between 7k and 10k to start getting decent at this game. That seems like a lot. More than 800 hours of game time !!!!  

 

I don't know what to say ... I have played other games also. Most recently PUBG. The player base seems decent, certainly not the type that has to be ran over to see what's happening around them. Excelent aiming and awarness. Shrewd gameplay. Here .... is like lottery. 

 

WoT is a relatively simple game, slow paced, made for people with jobs and yet a lot of people seem to fail at basic stuff. This is the most frustrating aspect of WoT. Your fails are not always actually your own. I get bested in other games, I man up and try to play better. Here you have to wonder what it takes to master this game. 


Edited by Etre_, 07 September 2018 - 02:33 AM.


magkiln #2 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:55 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 23668 battles
  • 748
  • [EKKE] EKKE
  • Member since:
    09-21-2015
  • First of all, there is a real chance that he had his minimap switched off. People do that and, to be honest, I think they should remove that option from the game.
  • Second: because camping a bush and sniping is actually a valid play style for certain vehicles, it's very easy to develop tunnel vision. If he was sitting in sniper mode, he would have very little peripheral vision. That's partially a result of the programming choice. There are also games that have sniper mode that only  effects the gun reticle, while the rest of the sceen remains zoomed out.
  • Third: I don't think it's correct to say that WoT is a relatively simple game. The physical control aspects are simple, yes, but that's not the problem. People don't usually fail because they don't know how to move their tanks. They fail because of lousy tactical decisions and in that respect it's quite complicated.
  • Fourth: WoT has one massive handicap: It's designed to be played by two teams of fifteen, but in reality you're dealing with 14 complete strangers that you cannot communicate with (Typing really doesn't work). Now, I understand that they cannot do voice chat for a whole team (plus the problem of language barriers) but it makes cooperation nearly impossible. In the example you describe, if you'd had voice chat with the 268v4 you could have warned him.
  • Fifth: because of the way WoT works, it is actually possible to get to top tier without actually even mastering the basics. You can start a battle, do nothing and still earn XP. I understand why they did it that way, but the downside is that you can  literally fail your way to tier 10. If they made it so that above a certain level only the top 10 on each team actually earn any experience that would change things, but as it is...


Robbie_T #3 Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:05 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15654 battles
  • 309
  • [BBMM] BBMM
  • Member since:
    07-08-2016

Man last 3 days has bin a total attack on my winrate :(

Last couple of months it has bin always 50+%.

 

But last 3 days 45% okay.....but 37% and 20%....wednesday evening 15 losses in a row..:hiding:

Did not matter the tier what tank type....if we where 7-0 ahead in battle it ended up in a loss.

But most times it was 8-0 for the enemy in first 2 min....

 

I even admit to shooting a ally LT (normally dont do that.).....but we had 6 tds and heavy's and our 2 platoon lLight tanks  sayd we gonna play as tds......on   PROKHOROVKA!!!

End enemy team had the nice spotting light tanks....so in the first min half team died because those 2 idiots refused to spot.

 

Think it got something to do with those new campaign missions...people doing *edited* to get a mission done....

Even some in my clan ...takes 10 minutes to pick a tank  becuase they hae to check what mission ,what tier ,what tank........and my personal reserves ticking away.......

 


Edited by NickMustaine, 08 September 2018 - 02:07 PM.
Inappropriate remarks


XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:31 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 48716 battles
  • 1,612
  • [RU18] RU18
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

Gotta love those late night existential questions! :)

 

A simple, slow paced game with no penalty whatsoever for playing bad especially at tier 10. Why'd you expect anyone to try their best, or even try for that matter, to play good?

 

For most of the players it's a past time, they press battle drive their tanks, take a shot or two, maybe ram someone, yolo somewhere, etc. and that there fun and entertainment from this game.

 

You drive your fun from a different level of game play, you need a certain amount of damage per game and a certain win rate from a session. Your idea of a battle is different from theirs, yours is more associated with performance.

 

On the EU cluster, about 67% of the player base are below average and we're talking about 7-8 years old "simple" game! It's either you try and find out as much as you can about the game from streams, YT, replays OR WG could integrate some of this knowledge into the client to make the game more accessible to players.

 

Players are mostly too lazy to bother, after all it's a past time and WG is doing crap about it, bootcamp was added only a year ago!

 

But the udes video with the siege mode mechanic was so important it had to be added to the client and popped up when you researched the vehicle. Meanwhile things like map tactics, hull down positions, basic maneuvers, etc. are completely neglected!



Procjon #5 Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:59 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 54742 battles
  • 470
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011

View PostEtre_, on 07 September 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

. Here you have to wonder what it takes to master this game. 

 

Players base of WOT in my opinion is made of:

 

  1. Players with multitasking skills,
  • playing for stats, selfish behavior with no supporting of teammates,
  • playing for fun, team work active,

2. Players without multitasking skills, no need to talk further as we all know who they are, bottom of the players base,

3. Players-bots to speed up grinding process,

4. WG-bots created to offset a decrease in numbers of new players joining WOT - this one is my tinfoil theory as it's hard for me to believe the players base can get dumber and dumber when it comes to skill in such a fast pace.

 

Lately i see more games end with steamrolls and yes i did collect a data so it is not my tinfoil theory. Check my other threads. I don't think i'm the only one seeing this kind of trend of games being as i call it rape-loss/rape-win which basically after 2-3 min it's over with 10-15 players on winning team. Additionally those sudden drops in WR with your favorite tanks and i'm not talking about drops from your average 55% to 50 but from 55% to 20-40% and after a while sudden comeback to 55% or whatever your average is. It is hard to explain such a drop in a tank that was played for few thousands of games and you have 3 MOE on it.

 

Overall experience of having fun in WOT is decreasing for me and that's the reason i'm not extending my premium. You can add customer service of this forum as well. I was given a warning by a mod with 277 WR8 and i'm still didn't get the answer why except giving me a title of the thread in which i made an punishable error. I guess it's too hard to backup your decision. :trollface: same as it's too hard to understand this simple game for some people. It just doesn't matter where you are, if someone can not understand simple game after tens of thousands of games you can expect similar results in any other field of their lives.

 

HF

 

ps. i will not be surprised if i get banned because i offended some snowflakes, well it will just speed up the decision i made :)

 


Edited by Procjon, 07 September 2018 - 04:03 AM.


Enforcer1975 #6 Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:37 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 20760 battles
  • 10,779
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2014
No situational awareness aka tunnel vision. Don't want to learn game mechanics. Being able to fail up the tiers without repercussions or limitations. Giving up and start to "pley for funn". I doubt so many players are mentality retarded or physically disabled so i assume they are just genuinely bad at every game.

JocMeister #7 Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:59 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 22421 battles
  • 1,999
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    08-03-2015

Welcome to planet Earth. Where 80% of the grown up population are so stupid they can barely tie their shoes without assistance.

 

Also a game that allow 35% bots to fail their way all the way to the top. And play as top tiers and ruining the game for their 14 team mates..



fwhaatpiraat #8 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:10 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 46558 battles
  • 612
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    05-04-2013
I noticed the same kind of player yesterday. He had to turn his td 30 degrees to shoot a tsrget at 150m... no reaction at all. Although this guy had over 200k battles! Such 'evil' ;)

adameitas #9 Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 62641 battles
  • 824
  • Member since:
    07-29-2011

View Postmagkiln, on 07 September 2018 - 01:55 AM, said:

  • First of all, there is a real chance that he had his minimap switched off. People do that and, to be honest, I think they should remove that option from the game.
  • Second: because camping a bush and sniping is actually a valid play style for certain vehicles, it's very easy to develop tunnel vision. If he was sitting in sniper mode, he would have very little peripheral vision. That's partially a result of the programming choice. There are also games that have sniper mode that only  effects the gun reticle, while the rest of the sceen remains zoomed out.
  • Third: I don't think it's correct to say that WoT is a relatively simple game. The physical control aspects are simple, yes, but that's not the problem. People don't usually fail because they don't know how to move their tanks. They fail because of lousy tactical decisions and in that respect it's quite complicated.
  • Fourth: WoT has one massive handicap: It's designed to be played by two teams of fifteen, but in reality you're dealing with 14 complete strangers that you cannot communicate with (Typing really doesn't work). Now, I understand that they cannot do voice chat for a whole team (plus the problem of language barriers) but it makes cooperation nearly impossible. In the example you describe, if you'd had voice chat with the 268v4 you could have warned him.
  • Fifth: because of the way WoT works, it is actually possible to get to top tier without actually even mastering the basics. You can start a battle, do nothing and still earn XP. I understand why they did it that way, but the downside is that you can  literally fail your way to tier 10. If they made it so that above a certain level only the top 10 on each team actually earn any experience that would change things, but as it is...

 

more or less this.

 

Also all this situation has another side. Next game you can be that guy who will farm such player.

 

Another day i had game where like 3-4 mins till the end enemy last two tanks (oneshot Skorpion, and about half hp Grille) were surrounded in corner of map over the hill (hided in bushes). We had t-10 with about 100 hp (good player, 3 marks) jge100 (also oneshot) and 705 with around 900 hp (52% wr player). T-10 all the time was piking and shooting into bushes (he couldnt spot those tds) e100 was just sitting and waiting in distance like 200-300 meters, 705 parked next to the building in distance like 100 meters (before this situation he was hited by ine of those tds) all this situation lasted whole those 3-4 mins. Then in last seconds t-10 went over the hill and died. It seems like absolute stupid situation but it is what it is in randoms. You cant change it just forget and move on.



signal11th #10 Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 36366 battles
  • 5,582
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    07-14-2011
The game itself isn't hard it's just that the people you play the game with make it harder than it should be and unfortunately these are the people in general that WG cater to.

NoobySkooby #11 Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 11927 battles
  • 2,257
  • [TFMB] TFMB
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

Why is it so hard, well people tell you to watch YouTube streams, you then do this, take out the tank you was watching the video about, and nothing but nothing is thst same as what is in the video, so in reality you watch someone else do well, and you still have a crapgame.

 

 

 

Then you practice all the techniques that people tell you and are then confronted either with a very good enemy team, who totally steam roll over you.

 

 

But all is not lost, sometimes, just sometimes the planets and stars will all align, and you will miraculously win

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So don't give up hope, I never do:trollface:



TungstenHitman #12 Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 21319 battles
  • 3,989
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016
I think with this game, when you start caring and you start getting better at it, and indeed better than your teammates most the time, your fun levels starts to drop away. Instead you just get annoyed by the blatant stupidity on display each and every battle. Can you suddenly stop caring and switch off your brain to such things? I don't think life ever gives us this option, at least not for more than a short time before annoying things start to annoy us again. At least you can take a break from the game though

Etre_ #13 Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 52159 battles
  • 1,330
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB
  • Member since:
    04-21-2014

View PostTungstenHitman, on 07 September 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

I think with this game, when you start caring and you start getting better at it, and indeed better than your teammates most the time, your fun levels starts to drop away. Instead you just get annoyed by the blatant stupidity on display each and every battle. Can you suddenly stop caring and switch off your brain to such things? I don't think life ever gives us this option, at least not for more than a short time before annoying things start to annoy us again. At least you can take a break from the game though

 

With Battle for Azeroth, I started playing WoW a bit (I played it a long time ago). I have been so much [edited]ganked during questing that at some point I was doing more world pvp than leveling. Anyway, I kept my PVP enabled and not at one point I felt frustrated. Battling rogues few level higher while trying to develop every trick possible was fun even if I did most of the dying.  But again, WoW has like 1000 bindings and still people manage. WoT .... press forward, aim, shoot. Exhausting !

OneSock #14 Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 34471 battles
  • 1,682
  • [BBMM] BBMM
  • Member since:
    06-06-2011

I often wonder if they are playing in "purist" mode and only using sniper view, cos in real life there's no 3rd person view.

 

it's the only idea I could come up with that explains the tunnel vision.



demon_tank #15 Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 24758 battles
  • 1,166
  • [NOS] NOS
  • Member since:
    11-18-2012

View PostJocMeister, on 07 September 2018 - 04:59 AM, said:

Welcome to planet Earth. Where 80% of the grown up population are so stupid they can barely tie their shoes without assistance.

 

Also a game that allow 35% bots to fail their way all the way to the top. And play as top tiers and ruining the game for their 14 team mates..

 

Well this sums things up.

 

Vast majority of people are bad at anything.

 

Too lazy to improve. Not motivated. Some stupid beyond imagination.

 

Many like to play the victim , blame others for their failures and hate responsibility and accountability.

 

Welcome to human nature.



Wintermute_1 #16 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 43597 battles
  • 1,438
  • Member since:
    11-25-2013
Theres a certain group of players that react to 2 things; being shot and the cap siren going off. That's as sophisticated as their play gets. I don't know if this is a certain type of player or a phase you go through while learning the game but its always been the same in my experience.

ilhilh #17 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 27033 battles
  • 1,976
  • [FIFO] FIFO
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012

View PostProcjon, on 07 September 2018 - 02:59 AM, said:

 

Players base of WOT in my opinion is made of:

 

  1. Players with multitasking skills,
  • playing for stats, selfish behavior with no supporting of teammates,
  • playing for fun, team work active,

 

 

Just for clarity - are you saying that people who play for stats have to be selfish and don't help the team and conversely that the people who don't care about the stats are paragons of teamwork?



Solstad1069 #18 Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 40686 battles
  • 3,169
  • Member since:
    06-15-2013

View PostEtre_, on 07 September 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

 

With Battle for Azeroth, I started playing WoW a bit (I played it a long time ago). I have been so much [edited]ganked during questing that at some point I was doing more world pvp than leveling. Anyway, I kept my PVP enabled and not at one point I felt frustrated. Battling rogues few level higher while trying to develop every trick possible was fun even if I did most of the dying.  But again, WoW has like 1000 bindings and still people manage. WoT .... press forward, aim, shoot. Exhausting !

 

I like that you compare it to PUBG because that is so much more skilledbased, so i wonder where are the 43% players in PUBG i sure cant find them. Must be because its me :P
Playing PUBG is like playing WOT after pressing V, without any help at all.

 

So yesterday me in my premium Progetto on steppes in your normal tier 10 battle trying to do some sniping with 2 other tanks from the 9line hill.

Then suddenly the enemy FV4005 (tier 10 brit Td) drives across the middle all in the open. So i empty my clipp and starts pinging, do you think they notice and turn, nope, nothing. :unsure:

 



Enforcer1975 #19 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 20760 battles
  • 10,779
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2014

View PostSolstad1069, on 07 September 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

 

I like that you compare it to PUBG because that is so much more skilledbased, so i wonder where are the 43% players in PUBG i sure cant find them. Must be because its me :P
Playing PUBG is like playing WOT after pressing V, without any help at all.

 

So yesterday me in my premium Progetto on steppes in your normal tier 10 battle trying to do some sniping with 2 other tanks from the 9line hill.

Then suddenly the enemy FV4005 (tier 10 brit Td) drives across the middle all in the open. So i empty my clipp and starts pinging, do you think they notice and turn, nope, nothing. :unsure:

 

I wish i had those enemies from time to time. It's always the red bob who can do that with a tank that has the least camo...

Every shooter has those guys who couldn't find a tank even when it's driving over their face. 



malaquey #20 Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:10 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 30205 battles
  • 182
  • Member since:
    01-03-2013

Most good players quit/are quitting, now the majority of matches are filled with bunch of baboons who can't tell their elbows from their butts.

 

I believe it will only get worse imo.


Edited by malaquey, 07 September 2018 - 07:10 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users