Different approach to OP or UP tanks?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

passion4LT #1 Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

Private

• Player
  • 33605 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

I have always seen this talk about overpowered and underpowered tanks in different way. Let me explain...

In my opinion there actually should be good and bad tanks. Tanks that are more powerful than others. But it should come at a cost. Like making xp, credits or somehow take into account in statistics (performance statistics). And if you perform well in a "bad" tank = you should be rewarded more. I actually like more to play some underperforming tank than some good new meta tank. Sure Im playing with generally known to be good tanks like superconq., obj268V4, etc but I'm always pressured to perform well in them. If you do well, its normal, nothing to be proud of and if you don't, you feel weak. Its lose lose situation for me. But when I'm doing good in some average or below average tank, it makes me feel good and proud and if I do badly it doesn't matter because thats what you would expect anyways.

Sure now somebody is askin what do you mean with "below average" tanks, give us an example. Well maybe its just my opinion and its completely subjective but like 110 / TigerII / IS6 / fcm 50 t vs defender / patriot / liberte / vk 100.01?

What do you think? Let me know! Should wg take this different approach to making tanks or not and why?

NoobySkooby #2 Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 12136 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
Always make me wonder why people refer to the Patriot and libertie as OP, I have the liberties and the unskinned version of the Patriot, and in no way to me are they OP, the VK however does make me feel somewhat safe when I take it out for a spin

passion4LT #3 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 33605 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Of course this would have to be balanced by matchmaking so there would be same amount of good and bad tanks in each team, this could take more time for mm. But I think the idea is kind of cool. No more rage about OP tanks because it would be part of the game and everyone still wins. :)

Homer_J #4 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The problem with having some tanks which are just all round better is that some people don't care about how much exp or credits they earn, just that they can roflstomp everything.

WN8 tried (and failed) to address the stats differential but you can't really fake win rate, damage per battle, kills, etc.

passion4LT #5 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 33605 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostHomer_J, on 07 September 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

The problem with having some tanks which are just all round better is that some people don't care about how much exp or credits they earn, just that they can roflstomp everything.

WN8 tried (and failed) to address the stats differential but you can't really fake win rate, damage per battle, kills, etc.

Thank you for the answer and for a good counterargument. :) I guess every idea has it downsides. 

I still believe the player experience would be much better overall. And you could now consciously choose.. well then again I guess battles would be fought between these monster tanks and other tanks could not have the same impact for the end result. :unsure:

13:35 Added after 6 minutes

View Postpassion4LT, on 07 September 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Thank you for the answer and for a good counterargument. :) I guess every idea has it downsides. 

I still believe the player experience would be much better overall. And you could now consciously choose.. well then again I guess battles would be fought between these monster tanks and other tanks could not have the same impact for the end result. :unsure:

Then again its just like being in a tier 8 in tier 10 battle. Your role is to support. But the idea I have is you could now choose to be the support or battle deciding role. When I started playing wot I didn't enjoy being top tier because the pressure was on me and I knew I was bad so I kind of failed my team at the start. Now days its more like a challenge. Its challenging yourself to perform with bad tank against good tanks and it feels great when you do..

Edited by passion4LT, 07 September 2018 - 02:36 PM.

Jigabachi #6 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

There is no problem with somewhat weaker and stronger tanks. That's just a bit of variation.
But we're talking about under- and overpowered tanks, which is something entirely different. Those definitely shouldn't exist, as they just add frustration rather than variation.

The gamebalance we have right now is just fubar, changing the rewards wouldn't change anything.

Edited by Jigabachi, 07 September 2018 - 02:52 PM.

Solstad1069 #7 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40814 battles

I have no problem with weaker and stronger tanks, but you have to look at a tank line from tier 1-10 as a whole.

Every tank line should have stronger and weaker/bad tanks on its way to tier 10, because of variation.

Homer_J #8 Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postpassion4LT, on 07 September 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

I still believe the player experience would be much better overall. And you could now consciously choose..

I think it's better to have a choice of strengths, so you have mobility but no armour or a powerful gun but it takes a long time to aim.  Having one tank which is all round better is not good for variety.

Most people don;t want a challenge.  Despite what my manager thinks, it's human nature to go for the easy life.

Solstad1069 #9 Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40814 battles

German Td line have its up and downs, with higlights in tier 6 and 8. Shame they destroyed tier 10.

Then you have a Chineese medium line with tier 7 being the only gem. No reason to go any higher and thats not good for this tech tree.

Then you have the even worse Swedish medium/heavy line with nothing good going on at all.

Attached Files

• Attached File   german tds.PNG   116.92K
  • Attached File   chineese med.PNG   101.88K
  • Attached File   swed.PNG   97.08K

Enforcer1975 #10 Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Problem with "UP and OP tanks" are that they kill diversity.
Who remembers the time when Hellcats were broken? Jackson had no place when it should have been clear that the Hellcat should never have had the 90mm. There were tons of Hellcats in the games back then. Nowadays we have many "Hellcat like" tanks.

passion4LT #11 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 33605 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostHomer_J, on 07 September 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

I think it's better to have a choice of strengths, so you have mobility but no armour or a powerful gun but it takes a long time to aim.  Having one tank which is all round better is not good for variety.

Most people don;t want a challenge.  Despite what my manager thinks, it's human nature to go for the easy life.

Thats true and I see what you mean. Good point!

I guess my last attempt to make this work would be making just better tanks on its play style (no armor but good mobility like you said etc). Maby I'm just forcing too hard to make this work...

15:34 Added after 3 minutes
I would also want to see more rewards for performance that others could see. Like unlocking different kind of emblems that you can put on your tank. Like getting ace tanker 1/10/100 times on particular tank. Being on top 1-10 players on the server in particular tank etc.. Blocking 100,000k dmg, doing 8/9/10k dmg in single battle. Like example "10k club". :)

Gkirmathal #12 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8125 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 07 September 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Always make me wonder why people refer to the Patriot and libertie as OP, I have the liberties and the unskinned version of the Patriot, and in no way to me are they OP, the VK however does make me feel somewhat safe when I take it out for a spin

Cause at the time they were released, both were better (performance wise) than the IS-3, which back then was already considered somewhat of an tier 8.5 tank.

Their performance figures showed this a few months after they were release, when the stats stabilised.

As for the term OP, it's not a whack-a-mole definition. In WoT it needs to be considered s a gradient definition.

Edited by Gkirmathal, 07 September 2018 - 07:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users