Language based matchmaking?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Killer711 #1 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2662 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

This is not a whine thread, it is a suggestion. Could work, could not, feel free to share your opinions.

By pressing 'Battle' in your world of tanks garage, you are pitted along side 14 complete strangers, all from across the region you are in. Chances are, most of them don't know a word of English and so communication in chat rarely works. All you can do is hope each team member knows what they are doing, or at least are slightly more competent than the other team. In a strategy filled game, I think it is very frustrating that you cannot really pass strategies and ideas across chat. Luckily, I believe the majority of the EU server know English, but that might only account for maybe a third of the team if you're lucky. (I couldn't find any statistics on this). My idea is to add a matchmaking system that tries to create teams of the same language. (Bearing in mind it tries to. It wouldn't hold you back if only say 10 players are found. It would just end up with 10 players of the same language and 5 others.) 

How it would work.

It is already possible to adjust language settings but I think this should be moved to be right next to the battle button, to allow easier changing and to make this well known. It should also be possible to disable this special matchmaking. This would just mean you would be in those extra 5 in the example I mentioned earlier. Now the matchmaker tries to sort, for example, lets say 10 Spanish players all start a battle ranging from tier 4 to 6. They would all be in the same team. 

Pros and cons.

Obviously there are problems to this type of matchmaking.

Pros 

-No more language barrier. Team mates are more likely to listen to ideas and strategies, whether it be to push a flank or to defend one. Whilst the F keys do work aright, sometimes a more specified instruction is needed. This will make it more likely for a battle to be more organised. This is one of the only pros, but it really does speak for itself. The ability to communicate easily is vital, and if your team doesn't understand what you're saying, well..         

-Even if you're matched onto the additional few 'fillers' you would still benefit from a more efficient team.

Cons

-Longer wait times. Obviously with these extra parameters queue times will be longer, however if wait times are a real issue you can always switch off this special matchmaking and matchmaker will add you to the next available game. If you're lucky you might end up on an English team anyway.

-National average performance. Again, I don't know the stats for different countries, but statistically there might be some countries who might perform slightly less in games on average.  But, being in a team of people who speak your language might help this. 

-Less players in other countries. In some places World of tanks is less popular. There are far less players in, say, Macedonia than in the UK and so these players might not benefit from this Matchmaker. I still think they'd benefit from being placed in a coordinated team.

-No Guarantee of any benefit. It's true that there is no guarantee that there will be an improvement. Some people have their chat switched off or just ignore it. I understand this won't suddenly make people great players, but I think it would be worth it for those times it does work out. 

-People don't use chat in battles. Sure you cant really be typing in the midst of a battle. But at least in the start or late parts of a game your team will be able to confer. 

There are probably some more, but I haven't thought of them. Perhaps there is a gaping problem I've overlooked, and as a new player I am still naive to the real game elements, so go ahead and tell me some other problems in the comments. 

Also:

Platoons should miss out on this when platooning, since they already know each other (probably) and are probably communicating themselves.

This won't stop you from playing! If no teams are found that work within, say 40 seconds, the game throws you in random like usual. 

Edited by Killer711, 07 September 2018 - 04:09 PM.

vixu #2 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42764 battles

you've spent some time typing....

wrong assumptions:

- language barrier is the problem

- team (vs a set or random  players)

I don't see any of the benefits materializing.

Homer_J #3 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29026 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I think the "I don't care what you say" barrier is bigger than the language barrier.

What is really needed is a better set of built in commands.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66537 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

The language barrier is not an issue atm with MM. Most don't care or look at the chat, or have it off even to even care what goes on there. And the command wheel and other commands work regardless of client language. And they still ignore that. So this would still fix nothing I suspect. 

TacticusMK2 #5 Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17546 battles
  • [DUAL] DUAL

So MM based on country of origin? Or based on spoken languages? 

First you start off talking about languages, later you are talking about national average performance.  You do realize that there are many bilingual players out there do you? 

Edited by TacticusMK2, 07 September 2018 - 04:29 PM.

Dorander #6 Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18584 battles

I don't think it's a bad idea per se as long as you can't exclude or be excluded based on language (obvious cesspit there), and that I'd add it as a specific setting, not one related to client language. If I want to have the comfort of my home language on my client but participate with people who speak, e.g. primarily English, that should be an option rather than being forced to either change the client language or be playing only with people who have that same language set.

By far the biggest hurdle this idea probably faces is that it complicates the MM system while providing no clear benefit, companies tend to like predictable results.

Killer711 #7 Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:38 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2662 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBalc0ra, on 07 September 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

The language barrier is not an issue atm with MM. Most don't care or look at the chat, or have it off even to even care what goes on there. And the command wheel and other commands work regardless of client language. And they still ignore that. So this would still fix nothing I suspect. 

Yes, I might have overworded this, it's not meant to revolutionise anything. It's no major fix to having bad teams, as you will always have some idiots. It's just supposed to be an extra helper. I was hoping it would help unite a team, I might be wrong.

View PostTacticusMK2, on 07 September 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

So MM based on country of origin? Or based on spoken languages? 

First you start off talking about languages, later you are talking about national average performance.  You do realize that there are many bilingual players out there do you? 

Yes I know what it is to be bilingual. I am bilingual myself . I just assumed that most people prefer to read things in their first language, therefore they would be matched with other people who speak the same language and so are also probably from that country. I then imagined that there would exist a difference in stats between countries. Perhaps 'national average performance' might not have been the best way to phrase it.

mystikro #8 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30901 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
language isn't a barrier. You just have to click on your mouse and press some keys. It does not matter what it says on those keyboards.

cragarion #9 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:03 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44285 battles

Killer711 #10 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2662 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postcragarion, on 07 September 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

no

Alright alright I get the idea.

Cant hurt though can it?

Edited by Killer711, 07 September 2018 - 06:09 PM.

Bordhaw #11 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:11 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11684 battles

View PostKiller711, on 07 September 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

This is not a whine thread, it is a suggestion. Could work, could not, feel free to share your opinions.

By pressing 'Battle' in your world of tanks garage, you are pitted along side 14 complete strangers, all from across the region you are in. Chances are, most of them don't know a word of English and so communication in chat rarely works. All you can do is hope each team member knows what they are doing, or at least are slightly more competent than the other team. In a strategy filled game, I think it is very frustrating that you cannot really pass strategies and ideas across chat. 

lol you assume anyone even has "chat" turned on. 

Jigabachi #12 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17946 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Yeah... eh... nope. For obvious reasons.

Karasu_Hidesuke #13 Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:59 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16161 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
:sceptic:

PipariIkkunaPesuvati #14 Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10580 battles

View PostKiller711, on 07 September 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

This is not a whine thread, it is a ...

whaat....jpg

arthurwellsley #15 Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51946 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
Although if you make an account on NA (yes I know it is dying). You can actually see teams talking to one another about tactics. It's quite refreshing.

FizzleMcSnizzle #16 Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6265 battles
I think it's a great idea, but could we change it up a little? I would only like to play with people from the South West of England. The North is too confusing, whilst London is 80% Asian.

Killer711 #17 Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2662 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostFizzleMcSnizzle, on 07 September 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

I think it's a great idea, but could we change it up a little? I would only like to play with people from the South West of England. The North is too confusing, whilst London is 80% Asian.

Alright alright cut me some slack :teethhappy:

Dorander #18 Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:18 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18584 battles

View PostFizzleMcSnizzle, on 07 September 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

Also, the North is filled with ice, barbarians, giants and undead armies.

Slyspy #19 Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postarthurwellsley, on 07 September 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

Although if you make an account on NA (yes I know it is dying). You can actually see teams talking to one another about tactics. It's quite refreshing.

I can't speak Spanish though. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users