What really grinds my gears.

mm rng arty bad tanks bad players losing streaks cash grab powercreep fake bushes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

uglycousin #1 Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:16 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45136 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

Hello guys, get ready for a long post from a non unicum player.

I recently came back after a long break of around 4 months. (quit my job, went around Europe cycling around 5000km in the Carpathians, Caucasus and the Alps, was fun :) ). And now, coming back, I feel the need to let some steam out. Because these things really really grind my gears:

Matchmaker. This is still an issue I see. One team getting godzilla tanks, the other getting paper tanks. One team getting a T95 on a city map, the other gets an STRV. And so on... Not to mention being bottom tier almost all the freaking time. This is surely a lot of fun for the new player. MM is so bad that now tanks need to be balanced for constantly meeting +2 tiers.

RNG. So much fun aiming for eternity only for your shot to miss. Despite the target fills your aiming reticle almost completely, but you still miss. Or you low roll in a crucial moment (ok, that can also work for you sometimes, but it's still annoying).

Map modelling. You aimed that shot well, you see the enemy tank outline, and somehow you hit an invisible wall. Someone from the map developing team needs a serious spanking.

Fake bushes. You park your tank behind a bush and try to spot, only to find out you are instantly spotted. You try another bush... still does not work. Trying to find out what bushes work and what bushes don't work should not be part of WoT gameplay. This is such a cruel joke from WG.

Arty. Now that we got new missions there feels to be an increase in arties per team. Witch is absolutely fantastic if you are the ones trying to push a flank, or if you are a good player and now you feel the wrath of the tomato clickers finally besting that pesky good player. How can having 3 arties per team is still a thing? The feedback from ranked battles was that 1 arty max is somewhat tolerable (arty will not go away, there is a need for compromise) versus 3 or even 2. There is so much to talk about arty though, but you rarely hear someone saying "oh crap, there is no arty, this battle will now be boring".

XVM focus. Aparently I got good enough that some players decide to yolo rush me at the start. While this is not bothering me as much, most of the time I can deal with those donkeys, the fact that a mediocre to somewhat decent level of skill player like myself is deemed worthy of yolo rush is just sad. There are just too many tomatoes in Wot.

Donkey players.  Feels great to have a dumbass in a high tier tank, doesn't it? If being bottom tier most of the time is not enough, seeing that camping top tier heavy hugging the redline is incredibly motivating to push forward and seize the moment.

Bad tanks. Holee crap, the new polish line is pure turd at tier 5, 6 and 7. 

Useless modules that need researching. Playing stock tanks is a terrible experience. We all know that. What is even more terrible is when you research a new module, only to find out that it's still crap. Why is this still a thing? Some tanks getting a good gun from the start, other having you to unlock 3-4 variants until getting to the good one / ones. Forcing you to use free XP, and thus paying more? This is not a good way of getting into someone's wallet. It's a bitter method.

Cash grab sales. Sad. Really really sad. We have an old saying in Romania that goes something like this: "stealing your own hat". Selling a few tanks that are better than their tech tree counterparts, while at the same time ruining mm even more, making the game less enjoyable for the other players and thus hurting your player base.

Getting tricked with new premium tanks for new nations. Won the czech tier 6 medium at a contest. It trains medium tanks crews and the line ends with mediums. Bought the tier 6 swedish medium. The line ends with heavies. The tier 6 is useless as a top tier tank crew trainer. Bummer. Bought the polish tier 6 as a crew trainer ... this line also ends with heavies. The Pudel is useless as a top tier crew trainer. Bummer again. Wtf WG.

Garage ingame pop-ups trying to convince me to buy premium tanks I already own. This is stupid. 

Pop-ups trying to convince people to buy shite premiums. WG, really, tricking people into buying the panther 8.8, or amx CDC for example? When you know those tanks are pure crap? Is this how your treat your player base and hope to keep them as happy customers?

Powercreep. It feels like the balancing team is not playing their own game. Not only they made such a mess of things that it's not easy to fix, but now you can no longer play some tanks or line of tanks unless you are a bit of a masochist. Old premiums as well.

Toxicity against ... good players. This is something that you rarely see in other games. It rarely happens to me (I am not yet worthy of it) but I can see it happen to a lot of other good players.

6th sense not being default. WoWs has a nice spotting system, all captains start with spotting indicators by default. I have a lot of good crews, and lots of premiums in Wot to quickly train a 1st skill, but do you guys remember how we were at the start? Wondering who is shooting and why? Because I am sitting in that bush like I was taught. Surely the enemy player has hacks.

Medals and bonds reward. You get an epic medal as a top tier and you get some bonds. A laughable amount, but still. Free bonds. You get the same medal while bottom tier, you get less bonds. What?

Chat bugs. Still?

User interface. While not having experience as a game developer, and being able to understand that there are technical challenges all over ... this is stupid. We have lots of missions that we cannot understand. The UI needs rework from the ground up and serious testing before going live.

Misleading news. Why bother giving us hints at the months missions and events if some of these are bloated to seem like some awesome events when in fact they are "meh"?

Capping. While not being always the best option, sometimes you can win by forcing a cap. Ok, so ... if you cap, you get less XP. Why does this feel like it does not encourage players to go for the win?

Crews. We have so many crews now. And no way to really sort trough them. Hard to tell witch crew member has the 0 skill perk and witch one does not. And on this subject, an autoreturn function would also be quite useful. One less reason for people to use XVM.

Cammo paints. Painting only the hull gives full cammo bonus. Erm ... thanks for encouraging people to paint their tanks silly. On top of that, these flashy paintjobs with no historical background were from the start a bad idea.

If I am mistaken, please correct me. And feel free to add your own feedback.

Phew, rant over.

jack_timber #2 Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:27 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33432 battles
Welcome back....

uglycousin #3 Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45136 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View Postjack_timber, on 09 September 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Welcome back....

Feels good to be back (despite my rant, I still love this game). :honoring:

I almost met Shishx while passing trough Ljubljana. He was busy at work and I had a train to catch... eh, next time I guess. 

Erwin_Von_Braun #4 Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38254 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postuglycousin, on 09 September 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

Feels good to be back (despite my rant, I still love this game). :honoring:

I almost met Shishx while passing trough Ljubljana. He was busy at work and I had a train to catch... eh, next time I guess.

Is there anything you DO like?

Welcome back btw:)

Dava_117 #5 Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19497 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Feel better after venting?

By the way, welcome back uglycousin! :)

Steve8066 #6 Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12437 battles

View Postuglycousin, on 09 September 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

Garage ingame pop-ups trying to convince me to buy premium tanks I already own. This is stupid. 

its not stupid if you are WG who are currently seemingly desperate for cash.

cragarion #7 Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:00 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44073 battles

View Postuglycousin, on 09 September 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

I recently came back after a long break of around 4 months. (quit my job, went around Europe cycling around 5000km in the Carpathians, Caucasus and the Alps, was fun :) ). And now, coming back, I feel the need to let some steam out. Because these things really really grind my gears:

Matchmaker. This is still an issue I see. One team getting godzilla tanks, the other getting paper tanks. One team getting a T95 on a city map, the other gets an STRV. And so on... Not to mention being bottom tier almost all the freaking time. This is surely a lot of fun for the new player. MM is so bad that now tanks need to be balanced for constantly meeting +2 tiers.

RNG. So much fun aiming for eternity only for your shot to miss. Despite the target fills your aiming reticle almost completely, but you still miss. Or you low roll in a crucial moment (ok, that can also work for you sometimes, but it's still annoying).

Map modelling. You aimed that shot well, you see the enemy tank outline, and somehow you hit an invisible wall. Someone from the map developing team needs a serious spanking.

Fake bushes. You park your tank behind a bush and try to spot, only to find out you are instantly spotted. You try another bush... still does not work. Trying to find out what bushes work and what bushes don't work should not be part of WoT gameplay. This is such a cruel joke from WG.

Arty. Now that we got new missions there feels to be an increase in arties per team. Witch is absolutely fantastic if you are the ones trying to push a flank, or if you are a good player and now you feel the wrath of the tomato clickers finally besting that pesky good player. How can having 3 arties per team is still a thing? The feedback from ranked battles was that 1 arty max is somewhat tolerable (arty will not go away, there is a need for compromise) versus 3 or even 2. There is so much to talk about arty though, but you rarely hear someone saying "oh crap, there is no arty, this battle will now be boring".

XVM focus. Aparently I got good enough that some players decide to yolo rush me at the start. While this is not bothering me as much, most of the time I can deal with those donkeys, the fact that a mediocre to somewhat decent level of skill player like myself is deemed worthy of yolo rush is just sad. There are just too many tomatoes in Wot.

Donkey players.  Feels great to have a dumbass in a high tier tank, doesn't it? If being bottom tier most of the time is not enough, seeing that camping top tier heavy hugging the redline is incredibly motivating to push forward and seize the moment.

Useless modules that need researching. Playing stock tanks is a terrible experience. We all know that. What is even more terrible is when you research a new module, only to find out that it's still crap. Why is this still a thing? Some tanks getting a good gun from the start, other having you to unlock 3-4 variants until getting to the good one / ones. Forcing you to use free XP, and thus paying more? This is not a good way of getting into someone's wallet. It's a bitter method.

Cash grab sales. Sad. Really really sad. We have an old saying in Romania that goes something like this: "stealing your own hat". Selling a few tanks that are better than their tech tree counterparts, while at the same time ruining mm even more, making the game less enjoyable for the other players and thus hurting your player base.

Getting tricked with new premium tanks for new nations. Won the czech tier 6 medium at a contest. It trains medium tanks crews and the line ends with mediums. Bought the tier 6 swedish medium. The line ends with heavies. The tier 6 is useless as a top tier tank crew trainer. Bummer. Bought the polish tier 6 as a crew trainer ... this line also ends with heavies. The Pudel is useless as a top tier crew trainer. Bummer again. Wtf WG.

Pop-ups trying to convince people to buy shite premiums. WG, really, tricking people into buying the panther 8.8, or amx CDC for example? When you know those tanks are pure crap? Is this how your treat your player base and hope to keep them as happy customers?

Powercreep. It feels like the balancing team is not playing their own game. Not only they made such a mess of things that it's not easy to fix, but now you can no longer play some tanks or line of tanks unless you are a bit of a masochist. Old premiums as well.

Toxicity against ... good players. This is something that you rarely see in other games. It rarely happens to me (I am not yet worthy of it) but I can see it happen to a lot of other good players.

6th sense not being default. WoWs has a nice spotting system, all captains start with spotting indicators by default. I have a lot of good crews, and lots of premiums in Wot to quickly train a 1st skill, but do you guys remember how we were at the start? Wondering who is shooting and why? Because I am sitting in that bush like I was taught. Surely the enemy player has hacks.

Medals and bonds reward. You get an epic medal as a top tier and you get some bonds. A laughable amount, but still. Free bonds. You get the same medal while bottom tier, you get less bonds. What?

Chat bugs. Still?

User interface. While not having experience as a game developer, and being able to understand that there are technical challenges all over ... this is stupid. We have lots of missions that we cannot understand. The UI needs rework from the ground up and serious testing before going live.

Misleading news. Why bother giving us hints at the months missions and events if some of these are bloated to seem like some awesome events when in fact they are "meh"?

Capping. While not being always the best option, sometimes you can win by forcing a cap. Ok, so ... if you cap, you get less XP. Why does this feel like it does not encourage players to go for the win?

Crews. We have so many crews now. And no way to really sort trough them. Hard to tell witch crew member has the 0 skill perk and witch one does not. And on this subject, an autoreturn function would also be quite useful. One less reason for people to use XVM.

Cammo paints. Painting only the hull gives full cammo bonus. Erm ... thanks for encouraging people to paint their tanks silly. On top of that, these flashy paintjobs with no historical background were from the start a bad idea.

Phew, rant over.

Welcome back to WoT please take ticket ticket #[935689346573645] and wait in line, your complaint will be answered as soon as possible by a skilled English speaking customer service assistant, who after reading your complaint will tell you everything is working as intended, if you have any further questions please take another number 

BR33K1_PAWAH #8 Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3597 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
What an enjoyable rant :teethhappy:

XxKuzkina_MatxX #9 Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49690 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

Welcome back my cousin!

Here, have some Papanași to cheer you up. :)

Bordhaw #10 Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11553 battles

View Postuglycousin, on 09 September 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

Chat bugs. Still?

Phew, rant over.

Wow why bother playing. Surely there must be another game you can play to make you feel better?!

uglycousin #11 Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:45 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45136 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 09 September 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

Is there anything you DO like?

I will make another topic on the positive aspects of the game. For now, I will leave this one with the rants to stay focused on the negative. :)

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 09 September 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

Welcome back btw:)

:girl:

View PostDava_117, on 09 September 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

Feel better after venting?

By the way, welcome back uglycousin! :)

A little better ... yes ... and looking forward to meeting you in randoms. :izmena:

View PostSteve8066, on 09 September 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

its not stupid if you are WG who are currently seemingly desperate for cash.

It's quite silly, isn't it? Even as a cash grab attempt.

View Postcragarion, on 09 September 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

Welcome back to WoT please take ticket ticket #[935689346573645] and wait in line, your complaint will be answered as soon as possible by a skilled English speaking customer service assistant, who after reading your complaint will tell you everything is working as intended, if you have any further questions please take another number 

I just reopened a ticket regarding the polish "full crew" F.up so ... this one actually fits. :)

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 09 September 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

What an enjoyable rant :teethhappy:

I did try not to make it TOO MUCH ... and to still stay entertaining.

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 09 September 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Welcome back my cousin!

Here, have some Papanași to cheer you up. :)

BKatt #12 Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33001 battles

View Postuglycousin, on 09 September 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

Chat bugs. Still?

Phew, rant over.

10/10 would read again. Also Family Guy is awesome! :great:

While i dont agree with every single complaint, many of Them are valid. Looking forward to seeing your positive list.:girl:

uglycousin #13 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:07 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45136 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostBKatt, on 09 September 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

10/10 would read again. Also Family Guy is awesome! :great:

While i dont agree with every single complaint, many of Them are valid. Looking forward to seeing your positive list.:girl:

Positives here. :)

WindSplitter1 #14 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:33 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16025 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
2 SPGs per team but allow them to platoon unless Bert, LeafBlower or Cruze.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users