Pursuit of happiness This is not a thread for rant There is hope

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

uglycousin #1 Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45872 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Uglycousin is back from his epic cycling holiday. If curious, you may find some snapshots here.

While there are many issues with WoT (I have another topic with the stuff that grinds my gears) surely most of you agree that there are positives as well. Most of us love this game, and form it's EU player base, while some just enjoy hanging back and watching others banter in chat or watch others play. Here are a few of my enjoyable moments:

Random banter in chat. You know those moments. Someone makes a good joke we never heard, or someone tries to [edited]and fails at grammar so bad that even non english speakers can point out his errors.

Random teamwork in randoms. Well, this one is rarer to find, but such a gem when it happens. It does not have to be some purple dude. Even tomatoes can have their good days. But those moments when you find a team that communicates and works together are amazing. Even if not pulling a win, it was a worthy battle. Here's to those people! :honoring:

Platooning with friends. Have not done it in a good while, but this is still one of the best parts of the game. Works well for a solo player, works well for social people as well. 

The (rare) good side of RNG. That KV-2 snapshot while on the move that you managed to land, that pen from the DeathStar against a full hp Godzilla, that AP shell from a Jageroo that only takes the tracks of your light tank ... while so frustrating if on the other side, put a smile on your face if the coin landed the right way.

Meeting forumites in battles. So much fun, be it on the same team, or on the opposite side. :justwait:

Endgame plays. Managing to trick opponents in those key moments feels quite good. Even if I am the one bested, it was still enjoyable as it was a worthy encounter.

Permatracking and / or circling a tank to death. Dunno about you people, but I do enjoy those moments.

Divebombing people. Do I really have to explain this one?

Shooting the tracks of enemy players who are trying to suicide by drowning and thus claiming the kill. Serves you right, scumbags!

Killing SPGs. Be it SPGs that focused me the whole battle or simply any arties that are on the enemy team ... it just puts a big grin on my face.

Taking out blacklisted members of the enemy team. This simply feels good.

Taking HE shots at the belly of a flipped enemy tank. No comment. :harp:

Pulling a winning move. Even if not always being able to rise to the situation and seize the moment, those rare moments when my play make the difference are worth their weight in dinger gold. And I don`t mean finishing top on DMG or XP. Any kind of play that secures the win.

Improving winrate. Maybe I owe this one to previously using XVM, maybe I owe it to being a competitive person. Not sure. But being able to improve my winrate makes me feel a little better about myself. Let's call it my narcissistic guilty pleasure. After being a sub 50% bob many battles, now nearing the 55% winrate mark I feel I managed to get a grasp on this game a bit and that more often than not I can be of some use to any team I end up in randoms.

Tiger Tanks. I am a sucker for Tiger tanks. Like I am sure many of us here are. Shermans are fun also, but Tigers have something special. Therefore I happen to own quite a bit of Tigers in WoT. (Not the Tiger P though, that one is crap, WoT devs are making Ferdinand Porsche twist in his grave).

Reading random trivia about random tanks in the game. Geeky fun, but I do enjoy it.

Seeing (some) members of the WG staff proving over and over that they do care about the state of the game and the community. I think some of you might disagree here, but with all our issues that pop up with the game and missions and what not ... it's easy to forget that a lot of people working for WG put a lot of heart and passion into this. And at the end of the day, they are players just like us. Some good, some bad. Just like us. And we have had a lot of moments when Ph3lan for example solved some lazy mistake of WG during some weekend night hours (I still have a feeling that the SirFoch fiasco was him being thrown under the bus by someone else from WG), or when Kevin passed forward various questions and actually came back with answers, or when Kandly got us compensation for other WG f#ck ups ... and many others. Some of the forumites need to remember that a lot of these people are trying their best to keep us entertained. And that WG is not always out for some quick $$$.

I am sure I am forgetting many other enjoyable moments, feel free to add yours in the comments below. :popcorn:

Edited by uglycousin, 09 September 2018 - 06:20 PM.

kejmo #2 Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29167 battles

Joy in wot ? 

Take regular 1-2 week breaks.

uglycousin #3 Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:19 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45872 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View Postkejmo, on 09 September 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

Joy in wot ? 

Take regular 1-2 week breaks.

Usually taking a break after a couple hours session helps a lot, for me at least. Pushing for more drags us non unicums into the slog of anger and frustration.

BR33K1_PAWAH #4 Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3597 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Balance of the Universe has been restored.

WindSplitter1 #5 Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16303 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View Postuglycousin, on 09 September 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

#Snip

WOOOOOOOOOW....

That must've been such a good time travelling! Welcome back. Awesome pictures :D

Erwin_Von_Braun #6 Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:36 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38623 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I used to enjoy Derping & Ramming arty in my VK28.01.

Then they cut it's nuts off :(

Recently been getting my Derp kicks in the M46 Patton - tremendous fun at tier ix

:D

JOHN_691 #7 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12250 battles
  • [ORKII] ORKII

Very Very well done, man!

Amazing photos!

col du telegrapgh, passo sella, livigno, tre cime, col ferret!

Amazing photos!

I also like...nope, i REALLY like you managed to get there without using an e-bike.

I climbed passo sella and pordoi this summer and they're pretty difficult to reach.

I saw so many e-bikers arriving in those places, but i think it's not fair.

Good job once again!

Edited by JOHN_691, 09 September 2018 - 07:03 PM.

uglycousin #8 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:15 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45872 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostJOHN_691, on 09 September 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

Very Very well done, man!

Amazing photos!

col du telegrapgh, passo sella, livigno, tre cime, col ferret!

Amazing photos!

I also like...nope, i REALLY like you managed to get there without using an e-bike.

I climbed passo sella and pordoi this summer and they're pretty difficult to reach.

I saw so many e-bikers arriving in those places, but i think it's not fair.

Good job once again!

The Alps are full with E-bikes, yea ... but I'm not that old yet. :) Good ol' classic MTB for me atm. :)

At Stelvio Pass the italian cook gave us his blessing when he saw that we did not have E-bikes (and some really good pizzas). :trollface:

In total me and my netter half pedaled around 5000km this summer, with some 60.000 meters ascent/descend difference. A short trip in England, a long 3 week tour in the Carpathians, a tough 2 week tour in the Caucasus and a month long Alps crossing (west-east) with some Danube at the end. :medal:

Ggorc #9 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4210 battles

I find only 2 positives in the game:

1) Nice graphics and tanks

2) Can play it brain dead  just praying to rng

Dava_117 #10 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19891 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postuglycousin, on 09 September 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Uglycousin is back from his epic cycling holiday. If curious, you may find some snapshots here.

While there are many issues with WoT (I have another topic with the stuff that grinds my gears) surely most of you agree that there are positives as well. Most of us love this game, and form it's EU player base, while some just enjoy hanging back and watching others banter in chat or watch others play. Here are a few of my enjoyable moments:

Random banter in chat. You know those moments. Someone makes a good joke we never heard, or someone tries to [edited]and fails at grammar so bad that even non english speakers can point out his errors.

Random teamwork in randoms. Well, this one is rarer to find, but such a gem when it happens. It does not have to be some purple dude. Even tomatoes can have their good days. But those moments when you find a team that communicates and works together are amazing. Even if not pulling a win, it was a worthy battle. Here's to those people! :honoring:

Platooning with friends. Have not done it in a good while, but this is still one of the best parts of the game. Works well for a solo player, works well for social people as well. 

The (rare) good side of RNG. That KV-2 snapshot while on the move that you managed to land, that pen from the DeathStar against a full hp Godzilla, that AP shell from a Jageroo that only takes the tracks of your light tank ... while so frustrating if on the other side, put a smile on your face if the coin landed the right way.

Meeting forumites in battles. So much fun, be it on the same team, or on the opposite side. :justwait:

Endgame plays. Managing to trick opponents in those key moments feels quite good. Even if I am the one bested, it was still enjoyable as it was a worthy encounter.

Permatracking and / or circling a tank to death. Dunno about you people, but I do enjoy those moments.

Divebombing people. Do I really have to explain this one?

Shooting the tracks of enemy players who are trying to suicide by drowning and thus claiming the kill. Serves you right, scumbags!

Killing SPGs. Be it SPGs that focused me the whole battle or simply any arties that are on the enemy team ... it just puts a big grin on my face.

Taking out blacklisted members of the enemy team. This simply feels good.

Taking HE shots at the belly of a flipped enemy tank. No comment. :harp:

Pulling a winning move. Even if not always being able to rise to the situation and seize the moment, those rare moments when my play make the difference are worth their weight in dinger gold. And I don`t mean finishing top on DMG or XP. Any kind of play that secures the win.

Improving winrate. Maybe I owe this one to previously using XVM, maybe I owe it to being a competitive person. Not sure. But being able to improve my winrate makes me feel a little better about myself. Let's call it my narcissistic guilty pleasure. After being a sub 50% bob many battles, now nearing the 55% winrate mark I feel I managed to get a grasp on this game a bit and that more often than not I can be of some use to any team I end up in randoms.

Tiger Tanks. I am a sucker for Tiger tanks. Like I am sure many of us here are. Shermans are fun also, but Tigers have something special. Therefore I happen to own quite a bit of Tigers in WoT. (Not the Tiger P though, that one is crap, WoT devs are making Ferdinand Porsche twist in his grave).

Reading random trivia about random tanks in the game. Geeky fun, but I do enjoy it.

Seeing (some) members of the WG staff proving over and over that they do care about the state of the game and the community. I think some of you might disagree here, but with all our issues that pop up with the game and missions and what not ... it's easy to forget that a lot of people working for WG put a lot of heart and passion into this. And at the end of the day, they are players just like us. Some good, some bad. Just like us. And we have had a lot of moments when Ph3lan for example solved some lazy mistake of WG during some weekend night hours (I still have a feeling that the SirFoch fiasco was him being thrown under the bus by someone else from WG), or when Kevin passed forward various questions and actually came back with answers, or when Kandly got us compensation for other WG f#ck ups ... and many others. Some of the forumites need to remember that a lot of these people are trying their best to keep us entertained. And that WG is not always out for some quick $$$.

I am sure I am forgetting many other enjoyable moments, feel free to add yours in the comments below. :popcorn:

More or less the same, but I would add:

-trolling top tier bouncing their shell in your bottom tier HT (remember bouncing several SkorpionG APCR once in my T-150 or 9 consecutive HEAT shell from a 113 in my KV-4)

-carrying as underdog providing assist or taking out enemy top tier

Also nice trip you had! I saw some of the pics and are really beatyful. :)

Edited by Dava_117, 09 September 2018 - 07:24 PM.

ogremage #11 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33832 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA

Good post.

Doing these carry games where you win against overwhelming odds is also nice.

Paul_Kouadio #12 Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3633 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Awesome post! I also love to simply learn from my mistakes and watch replays; it's immensely satisfying to win a game after a carry or good decision making after having learnt it from a skilled player! Btw, stunning photos, got yourself a new Instagram follower:honoring:

CenturionA1 #13 Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13911 battles
Finding joy? XD I have very few "Joyful" moments in WOT and one of them was yesterday in that.... icy map... you know the weird crashed aircraft carrier map. A T40 polish tank FF my memory right now, went up to the top of the ice arch tried to get a shot on the heavies behind the rock for a quite a while then out of knowere I see him plummet to his death next to an IS-3 I dont remember how the IS-3 reacted but Ik it gave me a giggle. then ofc A RHM drove up the hill at me in my T-34-85M I loaded HE and proceeded to farm his entire HP pool :P

NoobySkooby #14 Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14218 battles
A simple joy in WoT is reading a positive thread on the forums, whats not to like?:hiding:

Edweird #15 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9800 battles

Nice post,

I enjoy all of these things yesterday it felt so good to take down two arties that had been focusing me in my LTTB.

I used gold on one and then kamakazi on the next as I only had 5% hp.it was beautiful.

A few of my favourite things,

Another thing I like is when a light tank or med appears from nowhere, tries to ram you and they die.

Trolling the forum with arty or gold ammo threads.

Purposely throwing a game to annoy a unicum.

Generally driving light tanks.

Seeing 55% players who think they're nice trying to play lights and realising this tomato is better.pm them after saying "noob learn to play lights" as invariably they're light tank stats suck.

Blind firing with arty and killing a light.

Spamming fake promo codes in general chat.

Playing after 8 pints of ale and 3 doubles of good rum.interestingly my stats improve when doing this.waking up the next day with a new premium tank I have no memory of purchasing.

Tank dancing while listening to music.

Getting a drown kill.

Trying to become an un-unicum.

Driving the Tog backwards so someone might confuse me for an OBJ.

playing with real life tomato friends who all think I'm a unicum.yes they are that bad.

Edited by discontinued, 10 September 2018 - 02:54 PM.

Mr_Burrows #16 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45205 battles

Wonderful pictures of your holiday! What bike you use? I will have a Salsa Marrakesh flat bar frame delivered tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, which I bought cheaply off Triton Bikes in the UK. They had one medium size left, and I snagged it before somebody else did the same. Will either go with a 2x10 or 3x10 Shimano drivetrain - not quite sure which one quite yet. 

Now I also need to figure out if I should go for a set of hand built wheels or if I shall make do with my present ones until next season. I think the second alternative is most likely to be the oone I pick, but time will tell. If I get hold of another (I already bough one) decent 29" MTB with a 3x drivetrain and not Avid brakes I could always use that one for parts. The one I already got I use for what it is intended for. Replacing the Avid brakes is always an option ofc, and a decent set of Shimano hydraulic ones can be had for about €150 including brake discs. 

Okay, OT. Sorry. 

On Topic: 

Your post made me miss the old ELC once again. Dive bombing a T34 ot IS-3 for 250 HP was marvelous. Like a mini Mosquito launching a single volley of rockets against a German battleship hid in a Norwegian fjord before heading off in a stupid speed dodging bullets. 

Dr_ownape #17 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 44158 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
click link and see man (I'm assuming) in Lycra...thinking

CmdRatScabies #18 Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37626 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDr_ownape, on 10 September 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

Lycra went out of fashion for mountain biking in the 2000s.  If you want blokes in Lycra you need to look at roadies now:

Posted Image

Edited by CmdRatScabies, 10 September 2018 - 04:01 PM.

uglycousin #19 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:39 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45872 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostDr_ownape, on 10 September 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Are you brave enough? :girl:

View PostMr_Burrows, on 10 September 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

Wonderful pictures of your holiday! What bike you use? I will have a Salsa Marrakesh flat bar frame delivered tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, which I bought cheaply off Triton Bikes in the UK. They had one medium size left, and I snagged it before somebody else did the same. Will either go with a 2x10 or 3x10 Shimano drivetrain - not quite sure which one quite yet. 

Now I also need to figure out if I should go for a set of hand built wheels or if I shall make do with my present ones until next season. I think the second alternative is most likely to be the oone I pick, but time will tell. If I get hold of another (I already bough one) decent 29" MTB with a 3x drivetrain and not Avid brakes I could always use that one for parts. The one I already got I use for what it is intended for. Replacing the Avid brakes is always an option ofc, and a decent set of Shimano hydraulic ones can be had for about €150 including brake discs. 

Canyon Strive CF, with 27.5 wheels... This is my current MTB. Not going more into the setup as recently I got to the conclusion that whatever bike one can afford, that is the best bike for that person if he/she is having fun while riding it. :)

These days it's hard to get buyers remorse, all bikes are good. I went for Canyon because they have very good value for money, and you can get a bike a lot cheaper than from some other brands with the same setup.

Also, they are quite good.

View PostMr_Burrows, on 10 September 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

Your post made me miss the old ELC once again. Dive bombing a T34 ot IS-3 for 250 HP was marvelous. Like a mini Mosquito launching a single volley of rockets against a German battleship hid in a Norwegian fjord before heading off in a stupid speed dodging bullets. 

Yea, for me the tier 5 VK Leopard still puts a smile on my face. Bombing about and going tat-tat - tat-tat - tat-tat - tat-tat on someone's rear or side is still quite fun. 

BR33K1_PAWAH #20 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3597 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Im not at all into biking, nevertheless i find watching vids like this extremely entertaining  :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users