Remove Drowning From Game?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21489 battles

Not sure how that would influence the game negatively but I played a lot of games over the weekend where the amount of teammates and enemy tanks drowning themselves was off the charts. It was ridiculous, as soon as the battle looked even slightly lost, 1-2 teammates would drive straight into the drink and I'm not talking about SPG, it was all classes, never saw anything like it on such a regular occurrence. Not every battle obviously, but way too often none the less. Was it just one of those weekends? Did you guys encounter this much? Really annoying and either out massive demands on me to hold a win or denied my team more kills and xp. Of course I reported them but every time I did I would have been counter reported for letting them know I was reporting them and also called them*edited* so all that will happen is nothing to them, and more likely something to me. 

What if tanks could not drown but instead just get reduced to some sort of perma stun crawl, whereby, you cant actually die, you wont be of any use, but you also don't get to leave the battle and you don't get to deny anyone a kill or deny a teammate help. Where you're basically forced to fight on to the end instead of being allowed to drown like a selfish spoiled brat that didn't get his way or a chicken*edited* that pulls the plug first sign of trouble.  

Edited by NickMustaine, 10 September 2018 - 02:39 PM.
Inappropriate remarks

SaintMaddenus #2 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34487 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There is definitely something wrong with the ability to drown, however this weekend I killed an enemy player by drowning, I then fell in after (didn't realise the slope would not let me back up and gradually slipped in)  This wasn't deliberate, this was accidental and a rare instance.

I believe an easy fix to this is to have a separate report for deliberate drowning. Too many of these reports per battle earn a ban.  Its something that can be easily checked by an AI routine so would not need human implementation.  Its mostly scouts and arty that do it.  But Low Tier heavies do it too.   I blame the +2 MM for this as well though.

I probably would have been reported for my stupidity but as it isn't a common event I can shrug it off.   (the drowning isn't a common event, I can't deny regular stupidity)

FizzleMcSnizzle #3 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4435 battles
I had a game on glacier last week. We had 2 tanks left, they had 5. And still my teammate said "waste of time, see ya" in chat. Drowned himself. I killed two more before dying. Might well have won with his help. Utterly bizarre.

BR33K1_PAWAH #4 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3175 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
:bajan:

Alice_Shimada_Chan #5 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:40 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27695 battles
What was the best damage dealer in WoT, before 1.0 ? No, it wasn't any tank. It was river on old Erlenberg :trollface:

vilken_banana #6 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16732 battles

Why? It's better to be drowned than AFK. When someone drowns I know that he is not there anymore.

Sooner drowned is the best drowned. 

Better idea is to remove credits and exp from the players who done bring 1/4 of their weight DMG or spot DMG to the team. That amount is about 1,5 penetrated shot/battle.  This gives earnings to people who did the actual work if exp and credit pools stay the same. 

CmdRatScabies #7 Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37067 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Or drown all arty at the start of each game.

Midnightsun1912 #8 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22299 battles
Just add a hefty penalty to self destruct and team damage 5x repair costs. Of course these people will then yolo into enemy ranks anyway

Long_Range_Sniper #9 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

General

• Player
  • 31797 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 10 September 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

I remember the first game I had on the new Province map. A player in arty who was clearly a new player started driving.....stopped....then typed "no water?".

He then drove out into the middle of the map.......same result. But at least someone on the enemy team got some damage.

CmdRatScabies #10 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37067 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 10 September 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I remember the first game I had on the new Province map. A player in arty who was clearly a new player started driving.....stopped....then typed "no water?".

He then drove out into the middle of the map.......same result. But at least someone on the enemy team got some damage.

First think an arty player does is orient themselves to water.  :)

Jigabachi #11 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 10 September 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

"Let artillery your servant be born again from the sea, as you were. Bless him with alpha, bless him with stun, bless him with steel."
"What is dead may never die."
"What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

Balc0ra #12 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65957 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well... look at this way. It could be used as an exploit by even a Type 5 not go get spotted flanking around something. Or when the lights are in base looking for arty. Just dive, wait for them to go and you might stay alive. As most bases don't have sight lines past the water surface when going around cap etc. 

That and having to look for the last tank on the enemy team on most maps by going sub hunting? Nah I'm good. 

CmdRatScabies #13 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37067 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJigabachi, on 10 September 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

"Let artillery your servant be born again from the sea, as you were. Bless him with alpha, bless him with stun, bless him with steel."
"What is dead may never die."
"What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

That reminds me.  There was some tw@t quoting poetry at the start of a battle today.  :)  Maybe Bulldog has another alt account.

Long_Range_Sniper #14 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:34 PM

General

• Player
  • 31797 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 10 September 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

First think an arty player does is orient themselves to water.  :)

Testing the new real life Sand River map for arty suitability........

Image result for water divining gif

CmdRatScabies #15 Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37067 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 10 September 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

Testing the new real life Sand River map for arty suitability.......

In cases such as this they need to improvise - a sharp drop does a good job or if trapped behind a building; HE to the wall (but can be messy and need a couple of shots).

mickleblade #16 Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16763 battles
A partial answer (hence why WG won't implement it) is to not allow a drowner to start their next game until the previous battle has finished. Doesn't quite cure the problem but may help a little. It's not a big deal for the once a year accidental swimmer, but it is a big thing for a habitual arty drowning scumbag.

Brodie_ #17 Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 78356 battles

I would not say, remove it from the game.

But I think that any arty that drowns itself, should automatically pay 5 times their repair costs!

Maybe more if that does not stop them.

The amount of times that I have accidentally drowned my self in an arty, are very few so it would not bother me.

I am an unrepentant arty player, but those donkeys deserve it.

I always try to go down swinging, no matter what tank class I play!

FrantisekBascovansky #18 Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7801 battles
It's because the drowning mission ;)

cragarion #19 Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:13 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 43833 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 10 September 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Not sure how that would influence the game negatively but I played a lot of games over the weekend where the amount of teammates and enemy tanks drowning themselves was off the charts. It was ridiculous, as soon as the battle looked even slightly lost, 1-2 teammates would drive straight into the drink and I'm not talking about SPG, it was all classes, never saw anything like it on such a regular occurrence. Not every battle obviously, but way too often none the less. Was it just one of those weekends? Did you guys encounter this much? Really annoying and either out massive demands on me to hold a win or denied my team more kills and xp. Of course I reported them but every time I did I would have been counter reported for letting them know I was reporting them and also called them*edited* so all that will happen is nothing to them, and more likely something to me. 

What if tanks could not drown but instead just get reduced to some sort of perma stun crawl, whereby, you cant actually die, you wont be of any use, but you also don't get to leave the battle and you don't get to deny anyone a kill or deny a teammate help. Where you're basically forced to fight on to the end instead of being allowed to drown like a selfish spoiled brat that didn't get his way or a chicken*edited* that pulls the plug first sign of trouble.  

NO  You would have people hiding in the middle o flakes and stuff, can you imagine arty hiding in the middle of a lake or out to sea.

However the drowning timer does need to increase from 10 seconds to at least 15 to give you more time to get out when you slip in accidentally.

​what they could do is put an invisible wall around any water deep enough to drown in.

Edited by cragarion, 10 September 2018 - 05:15 PM.

HassenderZerhacker #20 Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 26809 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

honestly, I don't get why people would drown themselves at the start of a game.

as far as I know, it causes high repair costs and dead crew gets less or no XP.

it's much better to just spend a minute and drive into the enemy, spotting some one the way. earns more credits and xp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users