Some next level spot mechanics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

WaifuRacer #1 Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20305 battles
  • [BLNC] BLNC

(Dunno if I attached the replay correctly so complain if you cant download/open it.)

So I come across this kind of crap when tanks randomly dissapear within viewrange without being in cover. FIrst I thought my client is buggy but look at this replay. Its about 1 minute into the game or: after I kill the is7, things get interesting. Not with the cdc tough I was surprised at that as well but look at the E3s excellent camo at like 200 meters... In the middle of nowhere... Correct me if Im wrong but I dont think this is how spot mechanics should work

http://wotreplays.eu...waifuracer-t-10

Edited by WaifuRacer, 10 September 2018 - 10:33 PM.

Baldrickk #2 Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29909 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

To make it easy, here's what happened in video form:

It's the fir tree - the visual model of foliage doesn't match the logical model exactly.  That fir tree extends to the ground as far as spotting is concerned.  While you were looking under it, you were actualy, as far as the game logic is concerned, trying to look through it, and as it was more than 15m away (and so solid in your view) it blocked line of sight.  Being closer to you, your tank (sideways) extended further past it, making you spottable around it, whilst you couldn't see the E3 yourself.

xx984 #3 Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:04 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 53824 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostBaldrickk, on 10 September 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

It's the fir tree - the visual model of foliage doesn't match the logical model exactly.  That fir tree extends to the ground as far as spotting is concerned.  While you were looking under it, you were actualy, as far as the game logic is concerned, trying to look through it, and as it was more than 15m away (and so solid in your view) it blocked line of sight.  Being closer to you, your tank (sideways) extended further past it, making you spottable around it, whilst you couldn't see the E3 yourself.

this

PervyPastryPuffer #4 Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:41 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30604 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostBaldrickk, on 11 September 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

I have no idea how they did such a poor job with the camo modeling of the trees...

Ohh it's probably because there's literally "hundreds" of different models of tree, just to make it more "realistic"... That just means this: higher quantity -> lower quality - A poor business choice.

eldrak #5 Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46903 battles
  • [NE-VO] NE-VO

It's actually quite hard now to know if you are in a good spotting location on some places. Visual models are clearly not close in shape to what the game engine sees them as.

I'm assuming that bushes are cylinders/spheres and trees are either cones or elevated spheres, but there's no good way to really know.

WaifuRacer #6 Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20305 battles
  • [BLNC] BLNC

View PostBaldrickk, on 10 September 2018 - 11:59 PM, said:

Thank you for the great explanation. Tbh at this point Im not even surprised at this and its clearly not a bug but a feature... :)

thx again

catatpillar #7 Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19452 battles

Dude, i got spotted in base today. While 5 seconds into the battle. And i'm not talking about small map like Himmelsdorf or Ensk. The 6th sence just popped up, dunno if it is bugged, because misbehaving a lot lately.

Maybe the enemy team sent airplane to scout.

Arcolion #8 Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:42 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 21096 battles

well , i dont know if its a noob reply but here we go , i alwais drive down the tree in front of me for 'better' camo when i'm playing a static'ish TD , i feel a tree still standing is not giving you a lot of camo. 

I dont know if it is really like that, but i've been spotted less times doing it , it seems like the bottom of trees , even when the foliage extends to the ground, is not great. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users