• Player
  • 11927 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

What is the correct way to platoon?

Dumb question..

Silly question...

General question..

Who cares?

Ok back on topic, the way we toon, ie our clan, and other players who are gracious enough to toon with me, is we will play a certain tier, but we give each player the option to choose what tank they want, which I see as fair, if not a little inconvenient.

But, when playing as a toon should you play mainly one type of tank, say heavies mediums or Lt's ie: play as a proper unit, or just play randomly with whatever tank you wish to choose..

I used to love tooning with folk but I now am a little wary and find that my already shocking 43. blob% stats, drop even further, in fact with regards to said shocking stats, they never go below 43% and usually fluctuate between 43, and 43.16%, they never climb higher never mind how hard I try, and certainly do not improve when I play lower tiers.

So guys, please tell me how you pro players toon.

OreH75 #2 Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:37 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 47318 battles
  • [RANGR] RANGR
Pick whatever you want..it is about having fun together.

Dava_117 #3 Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18981 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoobySkooby, on 11 September 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Dumb question..

Silly question...

General question..

Who cares?

Ok back on topic, the way we toon, ie our clan, and other players who are gracious enough to toon with me, is we will play a certain tier, but we give each player the option to choose what tank they want, which I see as fair, if not a little inconvenient.

But, when playing as a toon should you play mainly one type of tank, say heavies mediums or Lt's ie: play as a proper unit, or just play randomly with whatever tank you wish to choose..

I used to love tooning with folk but I now am a little wary and find that my already shocking 43. blob% stats, drop even further, in fact with regards to said shocking stats, they never go below 43% and usually fluctuate between 43, and 43.16%, they never climb higher never mind how hard I try, and certainly do not improve when I play lower tiers.

I platoon a lot and we allways chose the tank we want, planning the tactics after the map shows up.

Nothing fancy, a message like: "I go hill", "ok, I will cover town" or "Need your help to secure this flank" are already enought to get a good start. Comunication is important also during the battle. If you feel lost about what to do, asking your toon mate may bring up a winning idea. If the heat of the battle allows it.

But as said in the previous post, the main purpose of platooning is having fun togheder. So this is the main drive.

Edited by Dava_117, 11 September 2018 - 01:41 PM.

tank276 #4 Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49908 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostNoobySkooby, on 11 September 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

Dumb question..

Silly question...

General question..

Who cares?

Biggest secret to succesful tooning.

Toon with someone better than you to improve performance.

I mean you are a 43% player, if you toon with a friend that is also a 43 percenter, you will decrease your win rates even further. 2 and just not one player with 43% are a team liability and a good way to drop your stats.

It is better for me to mix the classes, i.e. an SPG tooned with a TD and a light can contribute better rather than a 3 heavies toon.

NoobySkooby #5 Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11927 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostOreH75, on 11 September 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

Pick whatever you want..it is about having fun together.

Ok thanks but it was mentioned to me that it is better as a unit, say all heavies or mediums etc, just made me wonder thats all.

Cobra6 #6 Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Since it's about fun, pick what you want to play.

Just don't pick static gun TD's, then you're actively handicapping your platoon's chances of winning.

Cobra 6

Dava_117 #7 Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18981 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoobySkooby, on 11 September 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Ok thanks but it was mentioned to me that it is better as a unit, say all heavies or mediums etc, just made me wonder thats all.

The problem of chosing a "winning combo" is that it's not winning everywhere.

3 HTs or 3 MTs are allways good, but on open map may lose to a well coordinated Arty/LT/TD platoon or the opposit may happen in a city map. 

Eokokok #8 Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18156 battles

View PostDava_117, on 11 September 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

The problem of chosing a "winning combo" is that it's not winning everywhere.

3 HTs or 3 MTs are allways good, but on open map may lose to a well coordinated Arty/LT/TD platoon or the opposit may happen in a city map. 

Looking at map rotation and which lanes contribute mostly to winning a game for either side the universally good combo is 3MTs, followed by probably a 2HT/1MT. Of course the lower the bar is set by the platoon itself the results might get skewed, but generally in ~50% players platoon chosing anything else then MTs/HTs is lowering the chance to win unless you are really good and lucky with rotation.

Jigabachi #9 Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoobySkooby, on 11 September 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Depends on why you platoon.

If you want to improve and play effectively, choose tanks that fit together.

If you want to have fun, play whatever you like to play.

What you definitely shouldn't do, though, is to platoon with other botlevel players. Those platoons are a huge problem and ruin the game for lots of players.

Edited by Jigabachi, 11 September 2018 - 04:20 PM.

BR33K1_PAWAH #10 Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2991 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Ppl platoon for whatever reason they can come with. It could be just for fun, or mb for WR or to complete some weird personal mission. So there cant be some general rule about it.

NoobySkooby #11 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11927 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostJigabachi, on 11 September 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

Depends on why you platoon.

If you want to improve and play effectively, choose tanks that fit together.

If you want to have fun, play whatever you like to play.

What you definitely shouldn't do, though, is to platoon with other botlevel players. Those platoons are a huge problem and ruin the game for lots of players.

Ok I hear you and I will say this everyone of my toon buddies are far better in game play and knowledge than I am, the two reasons I want to toon is for boh fun and the ability to improve, nothing makes game more fum than damn good banter between players,even more so if on TS or Discord.
16:37 Added after 3 minutes

View PostCobra6, on 11 September 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

Since it's about fun, pick what you want to play.

Just don't pick static gun TD's, then you're actively handicapping your platoon's chances of winning.

Cobra 6

By Static gun TD's are referring to non turreted TD's?

I have to ask as I am better in the tier 7 Steyr Wt than I am in the Skorpion G, a fact that still bugs the crap out of me, and annoys no one else it seems other than myself.

Solstad1069 #12 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:46 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40686 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 11 September 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

Ok I hear you and I will say this everyone of my toon buddies are far better in game play and knowledge than I am, the two reasons I want to toon is for boh fun and the ability to improve, nothing makes game more fum than damn good banter between players,even more so if on TS or Discord.
16:37 Added after 3 minutes

By Static gun TD's are referring to non turreted TD's?

I have to ask as I am better in the tier 7 Steyr Wt than I am in the Skorpion G, a fact that still bugs the crap out of me, and annoys no one else it seems other than myself.

I bet you are the most active forum member in your clan. That has to count for something :P

Overall i would bet your tier 7 Steyr gets better MM. And i also would think Steyr got much better camo.

There are so many Skorpion players that think the can brawl or move way out of their comfort zone too soon. Then they are spotted first and dies first.

NoobySkooby #13 Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11927 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostSolstad1069, on 11 September 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

I bet you are the most active forum member in your clan. That has to count for something :P

Overall i would bet your tier 7 Steyr gets better MM. And i also would think Steyr got much better camo.

There are so many Skorpion players that think the can brawl or move way out of their comfort zone too soon. Then they are spotted first and dies first.

I am greatly impressed, how did you realise that, in fact I am the only forum member in my clan, lol, every, but everyone just tells me to stay the hell away from the forums.

I mean I could take their advice and this is from great players, but who else would you have to laugh at and mock their stats?:trollface::D

wsatnutter #14 Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 24723 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
we all pick a tank in turn and when we get +2 matchmaking we blame the clan m8 who brings a KV2 in cos we ask him "is that a scout" :trollface:

sgtYester #15 Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53944 battles
  • [RANGF] RANGF

always toon with tanks that can keep up with eachother

also stay togehter so u can back eachother up

so many times my toon shoots with his kv-2.. enemy comes to kill him and .... HI i am there in MY kv2 and derp that sucker

catatpillar #16 Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19356 battles

I am not a pro player but i like to platoon with a certain friend, that i know is playing decent in every game. Not like me shining in one, then fail miserably in the next. Sadly he got kids now. :(

Tips:

- stay away from bad MM tanks, do not pick two bad MM tanks, it is going to be even worse than going alone (you can check tanks win ratio at vbaddict)

- pick carry like Churchill lll, T-150, KV-1, etc... Some tanks are harder to master or need a lot more effort and you need noob friendly tank if the things aren't going well lately

- stay together and help each other

CmdRatScabies #17 Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36879 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoobySkooby, on 11 September 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

There is a secret formula that will get to top tier every time.  I could tell you but clan would kick me for breaching clan official secrets.  :)

Edited by CmdRatScabies, 11 September 2018 - 09:02 PM.

Bennie182 #18 Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52569 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View Postcatatpillar, on 11 September 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

I am not a pro player but i like to platoon with a certain friend, that i know is playing decent in every game. Not like me shining in one, then fail miserably in the next. Sadly he got kids now. :(

Tips:

- stay away from bad MM tanks, do not pick two bad MM tanks, it is going to be even worse than going alone (you can check tanks win ratio at vbaddict)

- pick carry like Churchill lll, T-150, KV-1, etc... Some tanks are harder to master or need a lot more effort and you need noob friendly tank if the things aren't going well lately

- stay together and help each other

You forget 1 tip: make sure you don't get kids :D

fwhaatpiraat #19 Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46558 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Don't play tier 8.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users