HE rebalance OP overperforming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

blockypanzer #1 Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16724 battles
  • [I_B] I_B

I cannot believe I am not seeing many posts on this issue, it simply baffles me. 

HE is grossly overperforming right now and has become the official meta from tier 8 upwards. It's like HE is the poor-man's gold spam now.

This never used to be a viable strategy, I remember when HE was used to finish off hull down heavies on less than 50hp, or to shoot at Waffentraegers. Now, at least a third, if not half the enemy team begin the battle with HE loaded and will barely change ammo the entire game. 

With the addition of more and more tanks at tiers 8, 9 and 10 with large guns (above 122mm), people have realised they can actually beat the current armour meta or zero-weakspot, flavour of the month tanks, by spamming HE at them with large calibre guns. Heavy tank and well armoured TD drivers, I'm sure you're well aware of this. 

Here's what I'm experiencing in my Jagdpanzer E100 lately: People with guns between 128mm and 155mm, notably TDs and some heavy tanks, are shooting only HE rounds. Even to an extremely well aroured target like the Jagdpanzer, with a superheavy spall liner equipped, they are dealing anything up to 570 damage a shot with HE splash. Unbelievable but it checks out with the HE damage equation, even with my spall liner, lucky shots can deal up to 600 damage from a 155mm HE round. I've had a Foch 155 dealing over 1K damage in two shots on me, one did nearly 600...

It's pretty clear this is not a healthy state for the game, tanks that can do 750 alpha with AP, but might bounce, going "screw it, I can do 500+ every shot with HE, why bother with AP at all?"

I can hardly blame them though, trying to pen anything at tier X these days with standard rounds is a nightmare and gold rounds break the bank. 

We're at a crossroads people, would you rather we remain in this HE meta where armour is meaningless because of all the big guns splashing you constantly, or have HE looked at and rebalanced, which would likely lead to a gold rounds or go home situation?

I'd propose these HE nerfs:

-Leave HESH alone, it needs more to make it unique from HE than just pen.

-Change the way spall liners work from the deceptive "spall coefficient" in the HE equation (which mathematically makes almost no difference to very large HE shells unless they hit dead centre on the thickest armour you have) to a flat -x% n HE splash damage depending on the size of spall liner. The current system makes spall liners basically useless vs decently sized HE rounds.

-Make HE damage the tank based on the thickness of the armour at the point of actual impact, or the thinnest armour within line of site of the blast cone. Right now, if an HE round hits the top of a tank's upper glacis, it will do much more damage than if it hits the middle, because the HE equation is dealing damage to the thin top armour, despite the shell not hitting there, and the glacis plate being in a position to block the explosive force from hitting that thin armour. This system makes no sense and further rewards RNG, allowing vehicles like the Foch 155, T110E3 and E4, Grille 15, and Jagdpanzer E100 to deal over 2/3 their AP damage in splash, simply by shooting the corners or edges of a vehicle's thickest armour, close enough to the thin (but hidden from view) top armour. This also often leads to fires and module damage.

I fear if Wargaming doesn't address these 500-600 damage HE splashes, even vs some incredibly wel larmoured vehicles, what's left of intelligent gameplay will leave the game.

Search_Warrant #2 Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:42 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27131 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Know whats funny? WG even put in there tips at the start to shoot HE if you cant pen the armor...

blockypanzer #3 Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16724 battles
  • [I_B] I_B

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 12 September 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

Know whats funny? WG even put in there tips at the start to shoot HE if you cant pen the armor...

Like I said, I can't blame them, I've started shooting way more HE in the Jagdpanzer with good effect. The issue is since the Japanese heavies have been introduced, HE splash from big guns vs thick armour has increased wildly from the 200ish range to well over 500 damage per splash. This has made it go from a last resort or finishing shot, to a viable full ammo loadout for every situation. Enough is enough.

NoobySkooby #4 Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 12168 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
I think HE needs a buff, if i fail with everything else and I usually do, then it is my last resort:popcorn:

blockypanzer #5 Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16724 battles
  • [I_B] I_B

View PostNoobySkooby, on 12 September 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

I think HE needs a buff, if i fail with everything else and I usually do, then it is my last resort:popcorn:

Obvious bait is obvious. Splash damage should not be exceeding 1/3 the full damage of an AP round without penning...

Also tagged with HE, rebalance, OP, overperforming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users