Jump to content


Just to prevent another thread about Caernarvon AX worthness


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

catatpillar #1 Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 20163 battles
  • 628
  • Member since:
    06-09-2014

Hello dear tankers,

 

Yes, Caernarvon AX is actually worth it! Especially if you are british heavy tree fan. You will need a premium tank to train crew for 3 top tier tanks from 8 to 10 tiers because they are all worth keeping in the garage. And the other crew trainer possible (Excelsior) is a bit meh...

If that's not enough to convince all brit tanks lovers to go for it, go to tanks.gg and compare regular Caernarvon with Caernarvon AX, both have their pluses and minuses compared to one another. AX still looks like a top tier 8 contender stats wise. We are yet to see in game performance.

 

And i have question, do we know what the store price of the tank would be, because the grind seems a bit too much and coming into very busy schedule for me? So we can make our plans right. Thanks in advance!



NoobySkooby #2 Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 14067 battles
  • 3,175
  • [TFMB] TFMB
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

I would think in bundle form you might be looking at  the £85 mark, whatever you achieve in this marathon if you don't get it for free it will probably be reduced to the same sort of price as a Lowe, probably about £40.

 

This is just a pure speculative guess mind you, and it is win win for WG as people will be forced to buy credits, (or sell most of their tanks) in order to shoot 'prammo' in order to make sure they win games.

 

If however you do get it totally for free, then you have my heartfelt respect.



Bora_BOOM #3 Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:36 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 23000 battles
  • 3,014
  • [D0NG] D0NG
  • Member since:
    08-23-2014

Progetto was bundled for 58 Eur (AFAIK) during the mission, so I believe its going to be like that.

Given that 25 games per day can take you up to finishing stage 8, that would be 12 eur to pay for not finishing the last 2 stages.

1-8 stage take 185k exp, last two alone 95k. I believe that would be a more reasonable goal for majority of not that hard-core WoT players.

Am I certain about price? Nope, but that will prove my signature sticker being right! :trollface:


Edited by Bora_BOOM, 13 September 2018 - 10:39 AM.


pihip #4 Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:46 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 14197 battles
  • 884
  • Member since:
    01-11-2013
Having tried the pre-32pdr Caernarvon, I think the AX's major weakness is the 20pdr, as despite the huge DPM a measly 230 alpha per shot on a heavy tank in tier 8 is pathetic, and the tank itself is not that well-protected either (hull is pretty soft, and the turret is only 'good' and not ridiculous like T32).

Other than that it is more or less the same as the old HD pre-32pdr Caernarvon, except this one is premium. That it is good enough and the first relevant British premium HT is also good reason to grind/buy it, especially considering how popular the Super Mongqueror is.
 

MeetriX #5 Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:54 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 20625 battles
  • 2,778
  • Member since:
    08-12-2012
You can put all heavy tank crews and few mediums in the Tog at the same time, no need for tier-8 prems.:izmena:

Bora_BOOM #6 Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 23000 battles
  • 3,014
  • [D0NG] D0NG
  • Member since:
    08-23-2014

View Postpihip, on 13 September 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

Having tried the pre-32pdr Caernarvon, I think the AX's major weakness is the 20pdr, as despite the huge DPM a measly 230 alpha per shot on a heavy tank in tier 8 is pathetic, and the tank itself is not that well-protected either (hull is pretty soft, and the turret is only 'good' and not ridiculous like T32).

Other than that it is more or less the same as the old HD pre-32pdr Caernarvon, except this one is premium. That it is good enough and the first relevant British premium HT is also good reason to grind/buy it, especially considering how popular the Super Mongqueror is.
 

 

With correct equipment and BIA crew and without food, it will shoot sub 5 seconds. That is 2 shots for one against other heavies. And a tracking possibility.

Off course if anyone plans to go against a real heavy face-to-face that is his bad, this tank is not intended for such a fight.

And it will be even better in TBs.



catatpillar #7 Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 20163 battles
  • 628
  • Member since:
    06-09-2014

View PostMeetriX, on 13 September 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

You can put all heavy tank crews and few mediums in the Tog at the same time, no need for tier-8 prems.:izmena:

 

Yeah , like i would play TOG :hiding: 
Such a big pinata!

Edited by catatpillar, 13 September 2018 - 11:51 AM.


Edweird #8 Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:18 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9800 battles
  • 1,055
  • Member since:
    08-22-2017

View PostMeetriX, on 13 September 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

You can put all heavy tank crews and few mediums in the Tog at the same time, no need for tier-8 prems.:izmena:

 

I have the TOG and the A45,

 

The TOG is my go to drunk tank and I'm in the top 50 with it and i have no idea why or how this happened as ive never played the TOG sober.

 

 Everything about the TOG looks bad until you play it I once had 55% in this thing. I think the enemy gets so over exited thinking "hp pinata" they just fall over themselves trying to kill me until they realise the power of the TOGs gun and turret. 

 

The A45 on the other hand is pretty Meh, but still it looks cool, it does however have a pretty bouncy turret. and was also cheap. The A45 gets a bad rep but isn't really that bad.

In all honesty I will attempt the marathon with no expectations of winning, as i don't really like graffiti clown tanks designed for a 14 year old but then i am an old or middle aged fart.

 

Good luck to those that complete this mission.

 

having said that i am one of Wargamings ideal customers & knowing me ill probably end up buying it anyway.

 

#sawmecoming



catatpillar #9 Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 20163 battles
  • 628
  • Member since:
    06-09-2014

View Postdiscontinued, on 13 September 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

having said that i am one of Wargamings ideal customers & knowing me ill probably end up buying it anyway.

Haha, they have to eat. Otherwise they will shut down servers.

 

I have made mistake by looking the Progetto stats on paper thinking that big silhouette, bad dpm and no armor tank would be probably a shiet, but it turned to be one of the best if not the best tier 8's.

So i will try at least to get a reduction for AX.



Rati_Festa #10 Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 43609 battles
  • 1,503
  • Member since:
    02-10-2012

Is it tier for tier better than the A45 though?

 

The A45 was originally fine, but like many tanks its suffered from power creep. The Caern AX looks on paper quite similar strengths and weaknesses to the A45 for me, if it is then I would question its "worthness" :)



NoobySkooby #11 Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 14067 battles
  • 3,175
  • [TFMB] TFMB
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostRati_Festa, on 13 September 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Is it tier for tier better than the A45 though?

 

The A45 was originally fine, but like many tanks its suffered from power creep. The Caern AX looks on paper quite similar strengths and weaknesses to the A45 for me, if it is then I would question its "worthness" :)

 

To me it looks like an A45 with a bit of tin plastered on the side, now I do like my A45 even though it is in need of a severe buff armour wise, the regular Tech tree Cearn is nowhere near OP as some say on the forums and I curse them loudly for proclaiming it is, even with the 32 pounder, I have to load the gold (maybe I should be a Dinger after all) As for this thing without APCR it would never work for me, then again I will get nowhere near getting it for free.

 

WG wants my #walletopen, then bring on the Defender even though I would probably be crap in that too.



ilhilh #12 Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 27228 battles
  • 2,001
  • [FIFO] FIFO
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012
Well done for creating another thread about the caernarvon ax :great:

Rati_Festa #13 Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:46 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 43609 battles
  • 1,503
  • Member since:
    02-10-2012

View PostNoobySkooby, on 13 September 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

 

To me it looks like an A45 with a bit of tin plastered on the side, now I do like my A45 even though it is in need of a severe buff armour wise, the regular Tech tree Cearn is nowhere near OP as some say on the forums and I curse them loudly for proclaiming it is, even with the 32 pounder, I have to load the gold (maybe I should be a Dinger after all) As for this thing without APCR it would never work for me, then again I will get nowhere near getting it for free.

 

WG wants my #walletopen, then bring on the Defender even though I would probably be crap in that too.

I had a pretty good experience in my caern and that was before the buff, racked up a 60% wr in it. But I sold it, I could see it had glaring flaws. The a45 is my fourth played heavy and I decent stats in it too... the lack of alpha for me was never an issue, the dpm is what it was about. The meta of the game has changed though, so im not convinced pew pew guns will work now.



Search_Warrant #14 Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 27235 battles
  • 6,322
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011

I cant stand Cearn with 32 pounder. 280 alpha is still beyond poor and the pen is worse than IS-3 for no good reason. what good is DPM and poor alpha if you have less pen than big alpha guns so you cant even DELIVER that DPM in the first place?

 

Then take away the piss poor 280 alpha and make it 230, why bother...its just a trashy Cent5/1 with better 20 pounder stats but WAY less mobile.


Edited by Search_Warrant, 13 September 2018 - 01:49 PM.


VarzA #15 Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 21657 battles
  • 1,462
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View Postcatatpillar, on 13 September 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Hello dear tankers,

 

Yes, Caernarvon AX is actually worth it! Especially if you are british heavy tree fan. You will need a premium tank to train crew for 3 top tier tanks from 8 to 10 tiers because they are all worth keeping in the garage. And the other crew trainer possible (Excelsior) is a bit meh...

If that's not enough to convince all brit tanks lovers to go for it, go to tanks.gg and compare regular Caernarvon with Caernarvon AX, both have their pluses and minuses compared to one another. AX still looks like a top tier 8 contender stats wise. We are yet to see in game performance.

 

And i have question, do we know what the store price of the tank would be, because the grind seems a bit too much and coming into very busy schedule for me? So we can make our plans right. Thanks in advance!

 

Meh, they will all be nerfed in the near future anyway.

 

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 13 September 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

I cant stand Cearn with 32 pounder. 280 alpha is still beyond poor and the pen is worse than IS-3 for no good reason. what good is DPM and poor alpha if you have less pen than big alpha guns so you cant even DELIVER that DPM in the first place?

 

Then take away the piss poor 280 alpha and make it 230, why bother...its just a trashy Cent5/1 with better 20 pounder stats but WAY less mobile.

 

Wow .... but you can stand the DPM, the turret armor and so on ?


Edited by VarzA, 13 September 2018 - 02:43 PM.


Search_Warrant #16 Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 27235 battles
  • 6,322
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011

View PostVarzA, on 13 September 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

 

Wow .... but you can stand the DPM, the turret armor and so on ?

 

The DPM on Cent5/1 is poor. but mobility it has over the Cearn's is much better. being flexible is worth allot more than a tiny dpm boost and gun handling when you move like a boat.

 

Cent5/1 has same if not better turret armor, and only 10mm less hull armor. same LFP and side armor. the Cearns are just big fat dumb wanabe mediums and always have been, there guns are terrible for a slow heavy tank. you need alpha and armor, Cearns have nether when people press 2 key. Lowe is better than Cearn. you cant pen a Lowe's turret even with the 2 key.

 

Edit: also remember its the same 20 pounder all other brits get. it bleed credits and SaltyJedi in his recent review on the tank was "Lowe made allot more credits with same damage done" this is not a good premium and a bad "competative" "heavy" tank.


Edited by Search_Warrant, 13 September 2018 - 02:56 PM.


All_up_in_ur_grille #17 Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:06 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 33193 battles
  • 108
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB
  • Member since:
    08-08-2016

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 13 September 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

I cant stand Cearn with 32 pounder. 280 alpha is still beyond poor and the pen is worse than IS-3 for no good reason. what good is DPM and poor alpha if you have less pen than big alpha guns so you cant even DELIVER that DPM in the first place?

 

Then take away the piss poor 280 alpha and make it 230, why bother...its just a trashy Cent5/1 with better 20 pounder stats but WAY less mobile.

 

The pen is 5mm less on AP, 13mm less on prem

 

More than made up for by base accuracy, aimtime, gun depression & RoF, oh and it dosent have a 20mm turret hatch which can be penned frontally



Search_Warrant #18 Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 27235 battles
  • 6,322
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011

View PostAll_up_in_ur_grille, on 13 September 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

 

The pen is 5mm less on AP, 13mm less on prem

 

More than made up for by base accuracy, aimtime, gun depression & RoF, oh and it dosent have a 20mm turret hatch which can be penned frontally

 

Easier to hit the CearnAX cupola than a pixel sized IS-3 cupola/roof. accuracy dont mean crap in this game. RNG decides where your shell lands. aimtime for the 20 pounder (as a whole) is HORRIBLE for the pathetic alpha. the ROF is actually pretty terrible too. you dont understand that DPM means nothing if the base alpha is garbage along with crappy pen. frenchies get way more pen on there guns.

 

you dont seem to care that a much bigger gun gets more pen, more alpha. 0.08 turret dispersion and a turret not even 330 heat can pen, you find that balanced? but hey. at least my pathetic pewpew gun gets 1mm more pen to balance everything out! huehuehue.

 

And defender is balanced by the fact it has 150mm cupola? shoo troll.


Edited by Search_Warrant, 13 September 2018 - 04:54 PM.


NoobySkooby #19 Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:03 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 14067 battles
  • 3,175
  • [TFMB] TFMB
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 13 September 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

I cant stand Cearn with 32 pounder. 280 alpha is still beyond poor and the pen is worse than IS-3 for no good reason. what good is DPM and poor alpha if you have less pen than big alpha guns so you cant even DELIVER that DPM in the first place?

 

Then take away the piss poor 280 alpha and make it 230, why bother...its just a trashy Cent5/1 with better 20 pounder stats but WAY less mobile.

 

Funny you should say that, I just came face to face with a T 10 on Abbey, and firing my standard AP rounds which is what all the pro's are meant to do, I never scratched him once and that was aiming for the lower front plate, three shots of his AP finished me off quite soon.

 

 

 

Guess it back to spamming Premium then, tbh I don't see much point to going for this new Brit heavy, I will give it a shot, no pun intended, but if the regular tech tree Cearn is not up to much, well not in my hands anyway, there is no way I am going to make a 20 pounder work.

 

In fact I might change the gun on purpose see if that makes a difference, I doubt it though



Search_Warrant #20 Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 27235 battles
  • 6,322
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011

View PostNoobySkooby, on 13 September 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

 

Funny you should say that, I just came face to face with a T 10 on Abbey, and firing my standard AP rounds which is what all the pro's are meant to do, I never scratched him once and that was aiming for the lower front plate, three shots of his AP finished me off quite soon.

 

 

 

Guess it back to spamming Premium then, tbh I don't see much point to going for this new Brit heavy, I will give it a shot, no pun intended, but if the regular tech tree Cearn is not up to much, well not in my hands anyway, there is no way I am going to make a 20 pounder work.

 

In fact I might change the gun on purpose see if that makes a difference, I doubt it though

 

The 20-32 pounders should get 232AP or more like the french heavies. i see no reason why such low alpha tanks should have such low pen to boot. they dont even get compensated by DPM or Aimtime. they are some of the worst guns in tier. id take a rasha T-44-100 gun any day over 20 pounder. Cents ONLY work when hulldown. no hulldown? you are useless free damage.

 

Just spam gold in your super mobile light/medium T-44-100 and be a good 50% better than a Cent in every metric.


Edited by Search_Warrant, 13 September 2018 - 05:08 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users