Jump to content


Porsche

yes the car not the tank

  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

arthurwellsley #1 Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 51974 battles
  • 3,099
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011

The bad news - work has been really extremely busy this year, and as a result I have been working long hours and playing less World of Tanks. I have felt completely very tired for most of 2018.

The good news - I own my own business and so as a consequence I have earnt quite alot more money than usual by doing lots of 80 hour weeks.

 

I know that this is a World of Tanks forum, but I don't get out much, and also I assume that the readership is a little older than the general population average.

 

The question;

 

If you were going to buy a secondhand Porsche on a hyperthetical budget of £20-£30,000 which model would you buy and why?

 

The car will only be used at weekends and probably will not get much mileage.



Evilier_than_Skeletor #2 Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:05 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 18204 battles
  • 520
  • [TSOP] TSOP
  • Member since:
    02-05-2016
Is this a trick question? Obviously a 964 series 911 in red or silver.

arthurwellsley #3 Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:37 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 51974 battles
  • 3,099
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 14 September 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

Is this a trick question? Obviously a 964 series 911 in red or silver.

 

Sadly 2018 although a good year was not a year that would permit the purchase of a 964 series 911, most of the ones I see for sale are outside my budget.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #4 Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 18204 battles
  • 520
  • [TSOP] TSOP
  • Member since:
    02-05-2016
Oh sorry, I don't really know about car prices in UK and assumed being a rather old model it would fit into that price range. If you can't find a suitable Porsche, an Audi TT is not a bad looking car either..

OIias_of_Sunhillow #5 Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 24707 battles
  • 2,622
  • Member since:
    07-20-2011

Porsche Boxster (12-16).

 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808299942121?make=PORSCHE&sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&model=BOXSTER&page=1

 

This is nice.


Edited by OIias_of_Sunhillow, 14 September 2018 - 05:14 PM.


arthurwellsley #6 Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 51974 battles
  • 3,099
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011

 

That's interesting. But, (a) only does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, and (b) it's a convertible (I'd buy a coupe to stop any body shake on cornering and to keep the weight down), and (c.) it's not a 911, and (d) rear wheel drive.

 

But maybe I should not be so hung up on a 911 and should get a Boxster or Cayman. Because either of those two would be newer and lower mileage, while a 911 would need to be older with more mileage to fit the price band. It's a difficult choice.

 

I found this 350bhp 911 that does 0-62 in 4.8 seconds, has permanent AWD and it's black;

https://www.pistonhe...-manual/8892744


Edited by arthurwellsley, 14 September 2018 - 05:32 PM.


jabster #7 Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12566 battles
  • 23,783
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010
You could save yourself £19,990 to £29,990 by just getting a tshirt with I am a complete kn*b written on it.

arthurwellsley #8 Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 51974 battles
  • 3,099
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011

View Postjabster, on 14 September 2018 - 04:41 PM, said:

You could save yourself £19,990 to £29,990 by just getting a tshirt with I am a complete kn*b written on it.

 

Yes I could.

Or I could blow it on WG premium goods and look just as big a kn*b.

I know it's a stupid purchase.

But if I buy the damn thing, drive around at the weekend for two or three years and then sell it, I'll have got the stupidity out of my system. For I have sufficient self awareness to know how silly it is to lust after a particular make & model of motor car.

My son in law said to me "well you've worked hard enough, if you can afford it why not do it now?" Too which I had no good answer. While my wife kindly said "you're not getting any younger you might as well do it now while you can still get in and out of it". Which given the state of my knees was also a valid point.

I already own four cars and look a kn*b in those as well, so what's the difference?



jabster #9 Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:54 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12566 battles
  • 23,783
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View Postarthurwellsley, on 14 September 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

 

Yes I could.

Or I could blow it on WG premium goods and look just as big a kn*b.

I know it's a stupid purchase.

But if I buy the damn thing, drive around at the weekend for two or three years and then sell it, I'll have got the stupidity out of my system. For I have sufficient self awareness to know how silly it is to lust after a particular make & model of motor car.

My son in law said to me "well you've worked hard enough, if you can afford it why not do it now?" Too which I had no good answer. While my wife kindly said "you're not getting any younger you might as well do it now while you can still get in and out of it". Which given the state of my knees was also a valid point.

I already own four cars and look a kn*b in those as well, so what's the difference?

 

Maybe you should post in a more relavant forum unless you’re posting this here to make a different point. Just saying?

arthurwellsley #10 Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:06 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 51974 battles
  • 3,099
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011

View Postjabster, on 14 September 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

 

Maybe you should post in a more relavant forum unless you’re posting this here to make a different point. Just saying?

 

Where would you suggest is more relevant?

World of Tanks is the only online game I play, and other than this forum the only other one I go to (and much less frequently than WoT) is https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ and I think that there would be even fewer people there with a recommendation for a make and model to consider in the stated bracket.



jabster #11 Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:10 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12566 battles
  • 23,783
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View Postarthurwellsley, on 14 September 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

 

Where would you suggest is more relevant?

World of Tanks is the only online game I play, and other than this forum the only other one I go to (and much less frequently than WoT) is https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ and I think that there would be even fewer people there with a recommendation for a make and model to consider in the stated bracket.

 

So a forum about a game of pixels tanks is the most relevant one you could find. Yeh right.



kaneloon #12 Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:22 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 28454 battles
  • 1,764
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC
  • Member since:
    11-18-2011

Did you already had a porsche ?

A friend bought one and decided to sell it some months later due to being eyed a bit too much to his taste.

Just a warning.

 

Edit : but it was in France, the last true communist country in Europe.


Edited by kaneloon, 14 September 2018 - 06:25 PM.


Evilier_than_Skeletor #13 Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 18204 battles
  • 520
  • [TSOP] TSOP
  • Member since:
    02-05-2016

View Postjabster, on 14 September 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

 

So a forum about a game of pixels tanks is the most relevant one you could find. Yeh right.

Half the forum posts are about sprouts or fish, sometimes both. That's fine and so is asking about Porsche models. I really can't see this thread as bragging, just being excited about what I'm guessing is a long time dream.



250swb #14 Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 22990 battles
  • 5,159
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-23-2015
Not enough money to get a good worthwhile Porsche, spend less and buy a chest wig instead, same effect.

Jigabachi #15 Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:14 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17946 battles
  • 19,361
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011
I'd rather buy something else - something different. A Porsche is still just another car.
I'd rather buy a small caravan or a transporter and a fancy e-bike.

edit: Yes, I just wrote that and no, I'm still far away from my sixties...

Edited by Jigabachi, 14 September 2018 - 07:16 PM.


gunslingerXXX #16 Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:54 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 11192 battles
  • 2,115
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
  • Member since:
    11-16-2014

View Postarthurwellsley, on 14 September 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

But maybe I should not be so hung up on a 911 and should get a Boxster or Cayman. Because either of those two would be newer and lower mileage, while a 911 would need to be older with more mileage 

I don't know much about Porsche's, but I've heard Boxster and Cayman are for woman. Real men drive 911.

Stupid advice, I know, but maybe of interest to you.

 

Anyway, enjoy whatever you pick! I fully agree its good to do something non-sensible every now and then, especially when you've earned it!



Dava_117 #17 Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:25 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 19891 battles
  • 3,476
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

A Maus is out of budget?

 

Joke aside I like the 911, especially the double airfoil profile. I would go fo one of them, maybe from the 60s or 50s.



250swb #18 Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:01 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 22990 battles
  • 5,159
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-23-2015

View PostDava_117, on 14 September 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

A Maus is out of budget?

 

Joke aside I like the 911, especially the double airfoil profile. I would go fo one of them, maybe from the 60s or 50s.

 

I'm sure he could get a 1973 2.7 RS Lightweight for £30,000

Edited by 250swb, 14 September 2018 - 10:02 PM.


Dava_117 #19 Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:04 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 19891 battles
  • 3,476
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View Post250swb, on 14 September 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

 

Yes, I'm sure he could get a 2.7 RS for £30,000

 

No idea of the actual cost. I just like them... but I saw that a Ferrari F40 worth abou 45.000€ and it's the last design of Enzo Ferrari, so I guess 30.000£ may be acceptable for a car from the 60s... 

arthurwellsley #20 Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:43 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 51974 battles
  • 3,099
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011

View PostDava_117, on 14 September 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

A Maus is out of budget?

 

Joke aside I like the 911, especially the double airfoil profile. I would go fo one of them, maybe from the 60s or 50s.

 

A Maus would be difficult to park.

 

the 50's and 60's ones are relatively slow compared to the more modern ones.

 

21:46 Added after 3 minutes

View Post250swb, on 14 September 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

 

I'm sure he could get a 1973 2.7 RS Lightweight for £30,000

 

Thanks for the suggestion. So far the only ones I have seen for sale have been in the £75,000-£110,000 range for that particular model.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 14 September 2018 - 10:45 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users