Is there a link between love/hate for artillery and skill? [improved]

arty spg artillery clickers love hate

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Is there a correlation between love/hate for arty and skill? (143 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Which option below fits you the most?

1. I'm a beginning player and I HATE artillery. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. I'm a beginning player and I LOVE artillery. (2 votes [1.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.40%

3. I'm an experienced player with a win rate below 50% and I HATE artillery. (5 votes [3.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.50%

4. Voted I'm an experienced player with a win rate below 50% and I LOVE artillery. (8 votes [5.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.59%

5. I'm an experienced player with a win rate above 50% and I HATE artillery. (34 votes [23.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.78%

6. Voted I'm an experienced player with a win rate above 50% and I LOVE artillery. (24 votes [16.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.78%

7. I'm an experienced player with a win rate above 55% and I HATE artillery. (37 votes [25.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.87%

8. I'm an experienced player with a win rate above 55% and I LOVE artillery. (17 votes [11.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.89%

9. I'm an experienced player with a win rate above 60% and I HATE artillery. (11 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

10. I'm an experienced player with a win rate above 60% and I LOVE artillery. (5 votes [3.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.50%

Vote Hide poll

vcristi #41 Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 72973 battles
  • [3NRGY] 3NRGY

Hmmm, so we have 4 players that voted they love arty in the 'i have over 60% winrate and i LOVE arty' section:

liriose...............48.58%

Homer_J.........53.27%

kaneloon.........51.94%

Raptor051.......57.04%

:sceptic:

Koriin #42 Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14581 battles

I'm an average player with winrate above 50% with and I am pretty much indifferent about arty if there are only 2 choices. Because I cannot say I love it or hate it.

Arty in the enemies team: I pretty much always hate them, because I cannot seem to keep my tank Arty safe... So I often get hit... Also they tend to drown themselves at when loosing, which is does not really fit in the sportsmanship I would like to see in this game.

Arty in my own team: If they don't hit me and do some damage to the enemy I'm fine with them.

Me playing Arty: I myself only play arty for missions nowadays, which can be quite alot as I do not very well in them which means it takes a lot of games to get missions done. I do not like to play it, as playing arty makes me too team depended (in either spotting or holding flanks for longer than 30 seconds). I feel like I can have too little influence on the outcome of the match. Also I never know where to place my artillery to have to most influence. Also, you can aim all you want but I feel like I get screwed over by RNG more often when playing artillery.

My feeling about artillery:

Is it easy to do some damage? Yes.

Is it easy to do well in artillery? No.

Is it fun to play artillery? More often than not I have little fun playing artillery. But this feeling is also caused by the fact that I am not a good artillery player (average 1000 wn8 / 45% winrate in my recent artillery games).

gunslingerXXX #43 Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12979 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostCheezix, on 18 September 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

To proceed further in my little research ...

Good job in following up with your investigations after the poll, and sticking with you work after some negative comments!

I'm happy to see you confirmed the majority hates arty and some arty lover biatches are especially 'loud' on the forum.

Sounds like compensation behaviour...

Another explanation is that trolling on a forum and arty play are quite similar. Both offer only joy on the misfortune of others. The act of trolling and arty itself is no fun, only when people 'bite'.

GJ :honoring:

250swb #44 Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:35 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 23230 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCheezix, on 18 September 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

This poll is to see if there might be a correlation between skill and love or hate for artillery.

No, the Poll shows a correlation between how many novice or lower skilled players participate in the forum.

Novice players often come to the forum and because of the response they get never come back, others are brow beaten into thinking they must hate artillery to look cool on the forum, so either way you like to take it the Poll is biased because it is on the forum.

Edited by 250swb, 05 October 2018 - 08:36 AM.

Homer_J #45 Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32787 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postvcristi, on 05 October 2018 - 01:59 AM, said:

Hmmm, so we have 4 players that voted they love arty in the 'i have over 60% winrate and i LOVE arty' section:

Homer_J.........53.27%

kaneloon.........51.94%

Raptor051.......57.04%

And?

What a heinous crime, you should call the feds.

iztok #46 Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles
Poorly-made pool. I don't love or hate arty. It's just another game feature I'm aware of, and that's it.

BodyGuardOfLies #47 Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 96684 battles

View PostCheezix, on 04 October 2018 - 12:26 PM, said

Also I am not for removing arty completely from the game, but it would be great if they would add at least something to counter it.

And right here is where you argument collapses. A skilled arty player will counter enemy arty which blows a hole in your assertion that there is no skill required to play arty.

I suspect that your grievance with arty stems from your being xvm sniped by arty players who are skilled enough to realise that you represent a greater threat to the team than the average player. 

Cheezix #48 Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39633 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostLethalWalou, on 04 October 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

You don't believe you are influencing the results by forcing people to choose from such narrow choices? If you gave the option to vote for ''i don't care'' you could exclude those people from the end results without influencing the voters. Also, make sure you check the votes as people seem to be just voting wrong on purpose, as in the one person saying they are 60+ WR and loves arty. But then again I believe you will check them, just a friendly reminder still. Personally I just don't see any value for this poll based on how it's been set up.

I could have added the option "I don't care so much about arty", but it would not give me any valid data. People that don't care about arty would normally not click a thread on the forums talking about it right?
Indeed, some are just here to troll (mostly arty lovers I guess), but that's why I made voting public in the first place. And some have already listed the guys who try to distort the results by their childish behavior.

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 04 October 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

I bet the mrs was listening at first then stopped...  Arty Is easier to play I will not contend that.   She has time to listen between loading and act under your advice, which given your skill, I expect, was good.    after which in an "active" tank, didn't have time to listen to your instructions and you didn't have time to tell her either :)

Nope, all he asked her was to sometimes target specific enemy tanks, but nothing else. But she did not need any advice for playing the clicker, because it is as simple as playing a browser game meant for 5 year old kids.

But when she played a normal tank she suddenly had to move somewhere to be of any use in the game, which instantly resulted in confusion and destruction lol. To me it just proves that you don't have to know what you're doing in arty to be effective. Playing arty for her was just like moving the move ti find a little red object on the map, wait for the circle to get smaller and CLICK. Then repeat the same 3 steps over and over again... How hard can it be for complete noobs? 

View PostSimeon85, on 04 October 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

Logically there would be one because -

1. Artillery helps low ability players contribute more, as the WR curves show, it's low risk/relatively high reward + simple mechanics make up for their lack of skills, knowledge and experience and generally means they are less burdensome on their team than they are in tanks. If something helps you play better you are more likely to be for it or at least less likely to complain about it. (Similar behaviour is seen with OP tanks where owners often defend these tanks or don't complain about them)

2. Low ability / low skilled players essentially fall into two camps or playstyles -

• Those who yolo about, are reckless etc. they will be killed by everything, they will die a lot, they will often die early in games. This means arty is just another thing that might shoot them/kill them amongst other stuff so is not a particular concern and their short life span in games would tend to mean that they aren't hit very often by arty due to artillery's longer reloads.
  • Those who camp and are very passive, they of course will not get spotted very often and thus not shot by arty often, so again arty will not be seen as much of a problem to them as they hug the red line/base. Arty can't shoot what they can't see and these players are often the last to die on their teams and rarely get spotted early/mid game, so again their exposure to arty is going to be limited. 

3. The better you become, the better you are at mitigating risks and countering threats to you through your knowledge of the game, use of the game mechanics, use of your tank's strengths etc. Generally in any given scenario and presented with a threat against them a good player will have a way or potential way to beat those threats and kill those threats. As you got through this learning and mastering process you then begin to see that your options to counter arty are virtually none and your ability to mitigate risk against arty, whilst playing actively, are limited.

Basically you can outplay, counter and mitigate most risks through skill, knowledge and experience of the game and game mechanics, this is not true of arty and thus the better you get the more you resent the mechanic that beats you without needing to actually beat you

4. Better players tend to gravitate towards higher tiers where arties become more common and more difficult to avoid due to very large splash radii, whereas worse players tend to play more at middle and lower tiers. 

Thanks for this great explanation! I could not have said it any better myself :).

View PostHomer_J, on 04 October 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

The 100 players you cherry picked to suit your hypothesis?

Nope, I tried to stay as objective as can be. What I did (if you are even interested, because you didn't ask) was opening page after page to find players that were clear about opinion on arty. I was equally interested in both pro and against arty, because I needed win rates from both groups. I added every player I could find in no specific order, but until I reached a 100 players. This meant scrolling through about 150 pages, since many pages were filled by the same people. If someone gave arguments for both sides or wasn't clear about their opinion I did not include them in the list of players. Hope this helps!

View PostBlubba, on 04 October 2018 - 11:18 PM, said:

I would point out though that as we are constantly being told, artillery plays by different rules (indirect/no counter/HE mechanism/splash etc), could it be that artillery isn't designed for a player to use so much as a counter to another player?

A kind of in game brake? A leveller of fields as it were? I don't know. Just putting it out there.

Indeed. I think artillery was never meant to be used against individuals, but as a support class during teamplay. That's why you NEVER hear anyone complain about arty during clan wars, because it has its function there. If the enemy team camps hard you use scouting + artillery to wear them down. The field commander picks a specific setup to counter a campy defense if they expect it to happen on certain maps.

View PostBlubba, on 04 October 2018 - 11:18 PM, said:

When I get hit by my own artillery, that's not the unit. That's the player or RNG..

In the past days I have lost several games just because my arty was trying to 'help' me, but killed me or took most of my health instead. Very annoying, but often they don't care about it. No "sorry" in the chat or any other excuse. Just gambling with their own teams health to try and get that extra bit of damage and xp all from the safety of our own base...

View Postvcristi, on 05 October 2018 - 01:59 AM, said:

Hmmm, so we have 4 players that voted they love arty in the 'i have over 60% winrate and i LOVE arty' section:

Homer_J.........53.27%

kaneloon.........51.94%

Raptor051.......57.04%

Yup, thanks for pointing this out. Now I don't have to do it myself. 

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 05 October 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Good job in following up with your investigations after the poll, and sticking with you work after some negative comments!

I'm happy to see you confirmed the majority hates arty and some arty lover biatches are especially 'loud' on the forum.

Sounds like compensation behaviour...

Another explanation is that trolling on a forum and arty play are quite similar. Both offer only joy on the misfortune of others. The act of trolling and arty itself is no fun, only when people 'bite'.

GJ :honoring:

Thanks dude! I appreciate the support and totally agree with you.

View PostBodyGuardOfLies, on 05 October 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

A skilled arty player will counter enemy arty which blows a hole in your assertion that there is no skill required to play arty.

If you think 'looking for tracers' is part of a special skill then I have no idea what you mean by that. Arty positions are often obvious on most maps so it's not that hard. What else do you think a skilled arty player can do better than a bad one? Relocating after a shot? Looking on the mini map now and then to see if the flank is still safe for them? Come on...

Edited by Cheezix, 05 October 2018 - 10:03 AM.

BR33K1_PAWAH #49 Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6836 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSimeon85, on 04 October 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

Logically there would be one because -

1. Artillery helps low ability players contribute more, as the WR curves show, it's low risk/relatively high reward + simple mechanics make up for their lack of skills, knowledge and experience and generally means they are less burdensome on their team than they are in tanks. If something helps you play better you are more likely to be for it or at least less likely to complain about it. (Similar behaviour is seen with OP tanks where owners often defend these tanks or don't complain about them)

2. Low ability / low skilled players essentially fall into two camps or playstyles -

• Those who yolo about, are reckless etc. they will be killed by everything, they will die a lot, they will often die early in games. This means arty is just another thing that might shoot them/kill them amongst other stuff so is not a particular concern and their short life span in games would tend to mean that they aren't hit very often by arty due to artillery's longer reloads.
  • Those who camp and are very passive, they of course will not get spotted very often and thus not shot by arty often, so again arty will not be seen as much of a problem to them as they hug the red line/base. Arty can't shoot what they can't see and these players are often the last to die on their teams and rarely get spotted early/mid game, so again their exposure to arty is going to be limited. 

3. The better you become, the better you are at mitigating risks and countering threats to you through your knowledge of the game, use of the game mechanics, use of your tank's strengths etc. Generally in any given scenario and presented with a threat against them a good player will have a way or potential way to beat those threats and kill those threats. As you got through this learning and mastering process you then begin to see that your options to counter arty are virtually none and your ability to mitigate risk against arty, whilst playing actively, are limited.

Basically you can outplay, counter and mitigate most risks through skill, knowledge and experience of the game and game mechanics, this is not true of arty and thus the better you get the more you resent the mechanic that beats you without needing to actually beat you

4. Better players tend to gravitate towards higher tiers where arties become more common and more difficult to avoid due to very large splash radii, whereas worse players tend to play more at middle and lower tiers. 

Now that are some realy good arguments.
09:55 Added after 1 minute

View Postvcristi, on 05 October 2018 - 03:59 AM, said:

Homer_J.........53.27%

kaneloon.........51.94%

Raptor051.......57.04%

Does one not allowed to dream?  :trollface:

Gavrilac #50 Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:29 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 40904 battles
  • [HIRET] HIRET

Hi,

I don’t love arty and i don’t hate it either. I like to play arty sometimes. I am just an average player, not a very good one.

I think very skilled players just hate arty because their skill doesn’t matter so much în front of the arty. But they are very pleased to be s-o good at this game and that's why they will keep playing it even with 3 arty's in all games. Or maybe not :-)))))

Koriin #51 Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14581 battles

View PostCheezix, on 18 September 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

My hypothesis is hereby confirmed. Higher skilled players are often less likely to accept artillery as part of the game. They either want it removed or nerfed or restricted to just 1 or 2 arties per team. This while lower skilled players are often less worried by artillery for reasons that can only be speculative beyond this point.

View PostCheezix, on 05 October 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

I could have added the option "I don't care so much about arty", but it would not give me any valid data. People that don't care about arty would normally not click a thread on the forums talking about it right?

Indeed, some are just here to troll (mostly arty lovers I guess), but that's why I made voting public in the first place. And some have already listed the guys who try to distort the results by their childish behavior.

Strong use of statistics there mate. 

LethalWalou #52 Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31672 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP

View PostKoriin, on 05 October 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

''I'm gonna study the political views in my area. i am only going to give them options far right or far left. Other answers don't give me any valid data and they shouldn't even come here as we talk only about extreme sides of the political spectrum.''

This is what OP is like. And anyone who points out the stupidity of his are labeled as trolls by him. :facepalm:

ObusMagic #53 Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26381 battles
  • [OHFR] OHFR

View PostLethalWalou, on 05 October 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

''I'm gonna study the political views in my area. i am only going to give them options far right or far left. Other answers don't give me any valid data and they shouldn't even come here as we talk only about extreme sides of the political spectrum.''

This is what OP is like. And anyone who points out the stupidity of his are labeled as trolls by him. :facepalm:

Still there is another study which shows exactly what he wanted prove. The linked study is better researched and has better methodology but arty apologists want to focus only on the arguments they can win

SaintMaddenus #54 Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38497 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I’m an  arty player and I think I have engaged with Cheesy in this poll, this is the internet, its not a research office so of course it’s not scientific.  Its got flaws but by the very nature of this forum alone ALL opinions are just that and that those that are more actively whining tend to be here, a few come here for advice and tips, most come to whine.

Ultimately the complete validity of this research is not important.  It will make no difference to WG.

So from a PERSONAL perspective I am finding arty more and more annoying as I get better in other tanks.  My posts from 2 years ago about arty are not a big deal, learn to play yourselves with arty in the game isn’t quite my view now.   I am in favour of 1 arty per game limit.  It really would allow one flank or another to make a move.  Td’s might have to cover one whilst arty covers another but they would have to play more of a team battle.

Lots of reasons why there should be a limit.

People would still have to learn to play with arty as a factor though.

I get that with the other guys Mrs, but someone with skill assisted her in picking targets, and I have said the issue with arty is they can have an greater effect on the game play than their tier warrants with a simpler playstyle.

I think we are actually on a similar page, but I want arty in the game.

. The better you become, the better you are at mitigating risks and countering threats to you through your knowledge of the game, use of the game mechanics, use of your tank's strengths etc. Generally in any given scenario and presented with a threat against them a good player will have a way or potential way to beat those threats and kill those threats. As you got through this learning and mastering process you then begin to see that your options to counter arty are virtually none and your ability to mitigate risk against arty, whilst playing actively, are limited.

I actually agree with this.  

Indeed. I think artillery was never meant to be used against individuals, but as a support class during teamplay

Yep

I don’t agree that the Majority hate arty, I think the majority don’t care and don’t feel the effects of arty so badly as those with more skill.  I’ll always want 1 arty on the team to take care of that pesky hull-down that I lack the skill to winkle out myself.   But I don’t want 3. 

ObusMagic #55 Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26381 battles
  • [OHFR] OHFR

View PostKoriin, on 05 October 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Sorry but he isn't wrong. Assuming you use a 3 point scale of "feelings" toward arty "I'm neutral" would not have helped. ALso this still shows if there are more players who dislike arty on higher levels of skill. Not including "I don't care opinions" will maybe not include some opinions but those opinions would not have swayed the overal conclusions. They would maybe show something else as in - how many players have no strong opinion but that wasn't the point here.
11:29 Added after 0 minutes

View Postiztok, on 05 October 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

Poorly-made pool. I don't love or hate arty. It's just another game feature I'm aware of, and that's it.

If you are neutral don't vote. The pool still works.
11:32 Added after 3 minutes

View Post250swb, on 05 October 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

No, the Poll shows a correlation between how many novice or lower skilled players participate in the forum.

Novice players often come to the forum and because of the response they get never come back, others are brow beaten into thinking they must hate artillery to look cool on the forum, so either way you like to take it the Poll is biased because it is on the forum.

Sorry but that's not how it works. You have players of all skill levels on the forums. Yeah some are more represented than others and he needs bigger numbers to get good results than what he has. Still with uneven representation he can still find if there is correlation between player skill and hate for arty. 

On the other hand the pool shows no correlation between how many novice players participate on the forum. This sentence of yours doesn't even make sense. Correlation means it happens between 2 things. So "how many novice players" is one thing. What's the other? It's literally the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. I get that you want to be an arty apologist and you can't use logic to defend arty but please at least try.

Koriin #56 Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14581 battles

View Postbaribal_80, on 05 October 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

Sorry but he isn't wrong. Assuming you use a 3 point scale of "feelings" toward arty "I'm neutral" would not have helped. ALso this still shows if there are more players who dislike arty on higher levels of skill. Not including "I don't care opinions" will maybe not include some opinions but those opinions would not have swayed the overal conclusions. They would maybe show something else as in - how many players have no strong opinion but that wasn't the point here.

He is wrong, as his conclusion does not state anything about the fact that he excludes the people who is neutral about the question, either high or low skilled. He also does not state that people that do not care do not vote, he just assumes that people that do not care about arty do not read the thread. He does however state that some people that might not care are trolling the poll.

Conclusion in short: 90% of the higher skilled players that care hate arty. 1% of the higher skilled players cares.

(yes those are figurative numbers to make a point. I do not really care about the outcome of the argument, as long as stated conclusions are valid. In this case, it is not in my opinion)

jabster #57 Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12754 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostKoriin, on 05 October 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

He is wrong, as his conclusion does not state anything about the fact that he excludes the people who is neutral about the question, either high or low skilled.

The question/conclusion only concerns those who have strong opinions about arty it therefore doesn’t matter what neutrals think.

SlyMeerkat #58 Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18606 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-

Im a 55% WR player and dont hate or love Arty, i dont mind Arty though even though they can be annoying at times but thats about it...... Im quite an experienced tanker and recently took to playing Arty and after all my time actually being very active and up close in combat, i find Arty to be relaxing and fun (Its nice to vent off steam after the times i was hit by them in the heat of battle) but im also a decent one that dont run XVM so no focus on good players and go for who is the most threat at the given time, i mark where im aiming/who im shooting at, let team know my reload as well and move about between shots and never ever suicide.

It also learns you map awareness as well as Arty safe locations of which you can get away with if the Arty player on the enemy dont move from base to get better shots

Edited by SlyMeerkat, 05 October 2018 - 12:59 PM.

250swb #59 Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 23230 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postbaribal_80, on 05 October 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

On the other hand the pool shows no correlation between how many novice players participate on the forum. 

That is the point, there is no correlation. If there is no correlation there is no valid Poll. Can you simply not see that the majority of players who have responded to the Poll are above average in skill? This means that the majority of the player base who are below average skill are not represented in the poll results on a pro rata basis. To point out the blindingly obvious there is one vote from a below average player, so it is fair to assume the ratio of above average players on the forum who like to pontificate about artillery outweigh those that are below average by a long way. Many casual players like to play artillery, we know that, but few if any very casual players come to the forum. And this is the crux of the matter, if they were represented in the Poll you may well find they all enjoy artillery.

ilhilh #60 Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27232 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO
I chose the wrong option :unsure:

Also tagged with arty, spg, artillery, clickers, love, hate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users