How are you doing in WoWs ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

OnceBittenTwiceShy #1 Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 43212 battles
I was wondering . . how many of you have played WoT for years ( like me ) and then started playing World of Warships  . . only to find that your WoT habits are hampering your success quite considerably ? For example: The very common "Back and forth and back and forth and back and forth rocking"( Which no real tank can do unless, equipped with a magic transmission) Can't do that in WoWs. The same goes for peek_a_boo . . just not possible. At least "Hull Down" works . . to a certain degree.  I also find myself holding the direction keys all the time - forgetting that the damn boat keeps turning if you only release the key and not centering the rudder. Acceleration is slow, stopping takes a while and I run into islands a LOT. After around 200 games in all kinds of ships, I picked the Japanese destroyer and the American carrier line,  currently working my way up to tier 5. I still suck even worse than a brand new player in a tier VIII premium tank but this game is starting to grow on me. I think the learning curve is a lot less steep than in WoT and I am positive to not suck for long.  How about you ? 

CircleOfSorrow #2 Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:56 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29236 battles
I'm still deciding about the game, but I've bought some fun premiums and grinding my captains up.  The different modes are nice.  I find all the different missions on at the moment confusing and overwhelming.  I am focusing on US light cruisers spamming HE fire starters, English Battleships doing same, and Russian DD gunboats to a lesser extent.

TsundereWaffle #3 Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27233 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Tried WoWs, and it’s a pretty nice game I guess, the only problem is that it’s the most boring game in existance. It’s more fun staring at your desktop.

But hey, at least it isn’t WoWp :^)

Bordhaw #4 Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:26 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12736 battles

View PostOnceBittenTwiceShy, on 23 September 2018 - 10:24 PM, said:

I was wondering . . how many of you have played WoT 

No I'm not quite 80 years old yet. 

Hedgehog1963 #5 Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51845 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

View PostOnceBittenTwiceShy, on 23 September 2018 - 10:24 PM, said:

I was wondering . . how many of you have played WoT for years ( like me ) and then started playing World of Warships  . . only to find that your WoT habits are hampering your success quite considerably ? For example: The very common "Back and forth and back and forth and back and forth rocking"( Which no real tank can do unless, equipped with a magic transmission) Can't do that in WoWs. The same goes for peek_a_boo . . just not possible. At least "Hull Down" works . . to a certain degree.  I also find myself holding the direction keys all the time - forgetting that the damn boat keeps turning if you only release the key and not centering the rudder. Acceleration is slow, stopping takes a while and I run into islands a LOT. After around 200 games in all kinds of ships, I picked the Japanese destroyer and the American carrier line,  currently working my way up to tier 5. I still suck even worse than a brand new player in a tier VIII premium tank but this game is starting to grow on me. I think the learning curve is a lot less steep than in WoT and I am positive to not suck for long.  How about you ? 

6.5k battles.

I have always used the arrow keys when playing games not WASD and this goes back to playing the original DOS based Doom back in '94.  The keys I have bound to the  left and right keys are the "hard a port" and "hard a starboard."  That way, when you let go of the keys, the rudder comes back to "ahead."

I have All the Royal Navy ships it has been possible to get except the Tier VII DD mission hasn't dropped from the containers. I have the top tier of all the DD lines, as I like DD play. I'll have Yamato fairly soon. I haven't gone past Tier VIII in the German and USN BB lines.  I don't play the French as their navy was a joke.  I don't play the Italians because I don't like them.  That is Italians.  I have only played CVs to Tier V.

I have been playing the ships far more than the tanks of late as the rewards have been very good.

Global WR has slipped below 50%.  I blame the quality of gameplay as I've ground out the high tier DDs.  I've not adapted well to the World of Radar, the game has become.

Edited by Hedgehog1963, 26 September 2018 - 03:26 PM.

Panocek #6 Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29055 battles

View PostOnceBittenTwiceShy, on 24 September 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

Warship sitting still is usually dead warship. Though you can, to an extent pull off forward and backward movement with ships running Engine Boost consumable, which are most of destroyers and French cruisers and battleboats, with last one being actually worth it, as former two don't have the armor nor hp to goof around. From tier 6 onwards you can put Propulsion Mod 2 on most ships, massively increasing (de)acceleration. And you couldn't pick worse lines tbh - IJN destroyers are powercrept HARD by any other nation, while USN carriers are simply outdone by IJN counterparts.

Edited by Panocek, 26 September 2018 - 06:18 PM.

Homer_J #7 Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:58 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30108 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Tried Boats when it was in beta, it was all a bit too two dimensional.  Also I never really saw what tactics there were apart from float around then duel it out with another boat to see who could inflict the most damage fastest.

I think I have about 2 battles on it since beta, might have played more if they had integrated the gold and free exp like they did with Planes.

Edited by Homer_J, 03 October 2018 - 04:59 AM.

Thejagdpanther #8 Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35247 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

Mediocre to bad... but i don't care much.

The best part is that when i lose i don't have the need to go down the street and kill someone, like in wot.

Nishi_Kinuyo #9 Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8039 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

I'm mostly an on-and-off player myself, although if I play, its almost always in (IJN) BBs.

And imo, my stats are a bit over the place; some ships I got great WR in while with others its abyssmal.

For the most part though, its the ships I played earlier on that got bad WR, so that's something I guess.

Something I could probably improve upon since none of my ships have large amounts of battles in them (39 being the highest for my Nagato).

So I've half-decided today to play a bit more to try and increase my global winrate a bit more.

With some ships it barely makes sense to have <50% in it while having >50% in its near-identical close (Kongou  (48%@35B) and ARP Kongou (57%@35B)). :confused:

But yeah, I enjoy the IJN BBs the most, since they're some of the fastest BBs on the low/mid tiers, along with good turret traverse.

Consequently, KM, RN and MN BBs are sometimes a pain to play for me since almost all of them are slow with bad turret traverse (low/mid tiers).

So my usual BB playstyle, the "Amagi Wiggle" doesn't really work for them since the ships turn faster than the turrets do, making it hard to maneuvre while aiming at something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users