The road to decency - A noobs quest.

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Killer711 #1 Posted 24 September 2018 - 04:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Hello, I am the ironically named killer711. Some of you may know me, some of you don't. You may have seen me sticking my nose into some threads and as you know, my stats are horrendous. I'm certainly embarrassed. And as I approach the milestone that is 2000 games, I feel like I should start working harder to up my game. 

So I made this Topic. No discussions here or anything, just purely me trying to get better, and I thought I should try and share my story. Don't worry about commenting anything, I don't expect many contributiors to this, although advice would be appreciated. I'll be trying to add to this with updates, the good, the bad and most certainly the ugly. Currently at 43% WR I am pretty much starting from the bottom, and I'll try to document my journey here, ignore it if you want, but feel free to drop some constructive criticism or ideas. Perhaps it might be a good read too.

Anyway, let's begin.

Edited by Killer711, 15 October 2018 - 06:05 PM.

Killer711 #2 Posted 24 September 2018 - 04:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Where to start? Well currently there has been some improvement. The reason i've started this is to track my (hopeful) improvement. I've actually managed to push up from ~43.5 to a teetering 43.99, but that could still drop. :ohmy:

I'm now trying to just play tanks I enjoy, mainly the Cromwell and VK 36.01H. This is great, I love the VK now, I hated it (absolutely hated it) stock, slow and awful, had a 36% winrate on it, I was useless with a tier 5 gun in tier 8 matches. Now I'm using the 8.8 (Not much of a fan of the waffle one, I think it's because I just like the sound of the 88s Boom!) And I had a 55% WR! Albeit momentarily. Lost a few, went down to 49, but now It seems to have stabilised at  51-52, which is great. Cromwell is very fun, i've pimped it out a little, and it was worth it. Finally a full 100% crew, some camo and an old ventilation system I found somewhere in the attic. We all have a great time. 

Still working my way up slowly to the KV1, the T-28 just doesn't work for me though, so I've put it on the shelf for now. Bought an M3 Lee, it's just gathering dust however. About half way through to the Tiger, looking forward to it, been saving silver this whole time. Got some free xp ready also, I'm hoping i'll unlock it in a week or two. 

So far, so good. :)

Replay of the week

Bordhaw #3 Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

Major

• Player
  • 11756 battles

Yeah stop playing Tier 6, 7, and 8

Evilier_than_Skeletor #4 Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18208 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP
A lot of good in that replay :) Would have been so easy to feed that hulldown IS, but you took your time and didn't.

Killer711 #5 Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBordhaw, on 25 September 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

Yeah stop playing Tier 6, 7, and 8

Yes i'm keeping my nose out of tier 7 for the time being, 8 I certainly won't touch for a long time. Don't currently have a tier 5 I particularly enjoy, maybe i'll take out the IV H again. KV-1 should be good, and I'm contemplating buying the StuG, should I? 

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 25 September 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

A lot of good in that replay :) Would have been so easy to feed that hulldown IS, but you took your time and didn't.

Thank you, the duel at the end had my heart racing, one of those moments where you think, if I mess up we could definitely lose. Quite a bit of luck still though.

Here we are, 44.06%. True, I could (and probably will) fall back down again, but at least I can say i've been there. :P 

Really annoyed none of my tanks have sixth sense yet, makes it very hard as occasionally I just get shot out of the blue! Especially in the Cromwell, I feel like I can't play as aggressively as I would like to. 

Had my first experience of being pushed out of cover! :angry: Early on too, unprovoked, just some heavy driver wanted me gone. Not a word of reply too when I questioned him. I was pretty annoyed as I had a decent matchup and thought I could have done some decent damage, x2 of the day as well. I didn't cry over spilt milk however and thought I should relax in some artillery xD. Just getting started in  tier 3 of the brits. Not too bad, bit annoying though if I miss even by a centimetre, I do no damage! Lacking a gun upgrade on that one. 

Close the KV-1, looking forward to it, but I don't really play much in the T-28, don't like it much. 

Edited by Killer711, 25 September 2018 - 05:45 PM.

samuelx43a #6 Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22400 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

with the T28 I can only advise to either only play it with doubles or enduring it, that is how I was able to reach the KV-1

Killer711 #7 Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsamuelx43a, on 25 September 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

with the T28 I can only advise to either only play it with doubles or enduring it, that is how I was able to reach the KV-1

Mm yeah I just do doubles too. Why is it so annoying though? In theory it should be quite good, seems like a crusader just down a tier. Just can't get it to work for me.

Killer711 #8 Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Had the pleasure of teaming up with some Dongers today, great players, loads of fun. Had an executive officer of FAME on our team once, game ended up as an easy win :) . And so we managed to drag the WR up to 44.15%, which is great. I'm a bit frustrated, a bounce on a StuG denied me a top gun :angry:, ended on 5 kills in the VK, slowly approaching the Tiger. Luckily the first game I played in the T-28 ended in a decent win, so no stress there. Only 1k to go for the KV1. Got some gold ready to pimp out the crew, im feeling i'll be on that tank for a while, it gives so many options. Ended the day again on some fun in the Sexton, a magic tank that seems to win most games, which helps. Stock guns a bit annoying. No splash and low damage..

steview162 #9 Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:27 PM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 34510 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-

I found the T28 difficult at the start, hated it and ground it quickly to the KV, which when upgraded, with a decent crew, is great. Really bouncy, newbie friendly, and lots of fun. Try out all 3 guns, each great in its own way. 

The Infamous Tiger 1, I thought was crap. Playing a heavy as a sniper is no fun for me, the IS is definitely a better heavy imo. Good players can get it to work, but it goes against my playstyle.

The Stug, fully upgraded is lethal in T5 games, and pretty good in the rest.

Have fun

Killer711 #10 Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Poststeview162, on 26 September 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

I found the T28 difficult at the start, hated it and ground it quickly to the KV, which when upgraded, with a decent crew, is great. Really bouncy, newbie friendly, and lots of fun. Try out all 3 guns, each great in its own way. 

The Infamous Tiger 1, I thought was crap. Playing a heavy as a sniper is no fun for me, the IS is definitely a better heavy imo. Good players can get it to work, but it goes against my playstyle.

The Stug, fully upgraded is lethal in T5 games, and pretty good in the rest.

Have fun

Yes, I've got some free xp saved for a quick upgrade in guns and engine etc in the KV. Maybe I should slow down on the Tiger, but I'm really enjoying the VK and my current 'standard' for tier7 heavies is the stock Black Prince, so anything is better. Also it'll take me forever to save so I'm still far off the Tiger I guess. 

I'm just thinking about credits, got a million right now, not sure if buying a stug is a waste.

Question: Is premium ammo sustainable?

I have a question for you guys, and instead of putting it in a new Topic, I thought I'd put it here. Premium ammo is pretty expensive, and all I'm thinking is, is it worth it? Sure I might be able to penetrate some one +2 tiers for ~220 damage, but if we then lose, I'd end up losing plenty credits. What I'm saying is, for each prem shot fired, would I even be earning that back post match? 

UrQuan #11 Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19839 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Regarding premium ammo, it's made to make a loss in most cases. However, best carry some with you (not a full loadout obviously) for those moments where you need to face off against very heavy armored tanks & you can't penetrate them any other way.

Note, before engaging heavy armored tanks, do check if there's not something else you can attack first. Often heavy armored tanks rely on their support to shine, take out the support & the heavy armored tank becomes a much easier target to handle, as they usually suffer in the mobility departement.

Something else you can do to hamper heavy armored targets without shooting premium is to shoot their front or rear track wheels to immobilize them; while it won't do damage, getting detracked does hamper the heavy, especially when he's trying to move out of his spot or is advancing towards your lines.

Regarding the KV-1, it's a great new player friendly tank that can teach you alot about the game, it's forgiving but it also grows with you in skill, thanks to the gun choice, the okay mobility & the easy to angle armor. All this helps you also to learn about how crucial positioning can be & the importance of being aware of your surroundings (avoiding to tunnelvision is something we all got to learn too!)

Killer711 #12 Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Big ol grind today. Sat down and told myself I’d do a good 2 hours to make the most of some reserves I’d been hoarding. Crew and free xp along with credits. Didn’t get of to a great start as the game froze when starting a game. Had to exit and renter, but the match was already lost. I went down swinging: took two with me. It was that 1 in 20 game matchup where I’m bang on at the top against tier 4s :mellow:

On the bright side: 44.23% mainly carried by my VK, who’s hovering at a sweet 50-52%. Speaking of VK, noticed I was on 64.85% MoE progress, so one nice game finished it off. Did alright, except a died like a true noob, so didn’t get to see that post game mark. If I’m honest you can barely tell it’s there, so not as nice as the cool British stripe. Had some fun farming damage by constantly tracking an

O-I, serves him right the b*stard. Unfortunately he was left on 8hp, I got a bit overconfident and just shot him normally. What a fool I was thinking I could penetrate that bunker. Even ‘dabbing the 2 key’ saw no results. 

On Tiger patrol: 15k to go.

KV1 is finally unlocked and oh boy, I love it. Because I’m a tight a** I only have the commander and the gunner on 100%, but even still I am destroying. Beautiful gun, great armour. First 3 games, 6 kills, great damage and blocking all around, with an awesome ammorack thrown in the mix. T28 in the scrap yard where it belongs.

Edited by Killer711, 28 September 2018 - 07:26 PM.

Killer711 #13 Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Thought i’d give the test server a whirl. Grand battles were fun, and I had an awesome opportunity to do some side scraping in the S.Conquerer. Bounced 2 from the JgPzE100 and quite a few more. Cent AX was great too. I’m not sure if noobs playing in tier Xs is frowned upon, but either way I soon found myself coming back home to my own tanks. Unfortunately I failed to make progress, losses kept rolling in, and I struggled to keep level. 44.20% in the end, so not too bad. KV1 is still amazing, strong gun strong armour, great time in wins and losses alike.

8k off Tiger, due to some lovely games, one of which is the replay of the week so please check it out and leave some feedback, it was a pretty surprising defence against many foes. Ended in my first Ace Tanker on the VK :)

Replay of the Week

Killer711 #14 Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Crikey, wasn't planning on uploading today as nothing really happened, except a nice 44.39% with help from Bulldog_Drummond and Dead in 30 seconds, until, I decided to start on the M3 Priest. I think I have found the ultimate proof that in tier 3 Artillerys I am blessed with wins. Just take a look at http://wotreplays.eu...e/4561503#teams , not at me, I did shabbily, take a look at the Hetzer, we'll be seeing a lot of that hetzer. I won't spoil too much, but lets just say that no one would expect a team killer, to carry a team.. 

Nishi_Kinuyo #15 Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7762 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

One tool that might help you a little, assuming it works as intended, is found on Noobmeter.com.

Namely, the ability to check an individual tank's winrate for a given interval of time.

That way, it should be easier to determine which tanks you're doing well in, and which somewhat less.

Example

Still isn't a perfect tool, of course, since you might be doing well in a given tank, but be cursed with incapable teammates who still cause you to lose despite your best efforts (Progetto for me).

Or you get battles where you barely do anything but get dragged to victory by your teammates (14TP for me).

All-in-all, I'd say you find a couple of tier 4-6 tanks you enjoy playing, and seem to be getting above average wins with, and play those while getting better.

Don't lose courage yet either; at your battle count, fixing that winrate is far from impossible.

Regarding premium ammo; consider the penetration value it has, and which troublesome tanks it is likely to encounter, and if using gold would make those tanks less troublesome.

With my Type 3 Chi-Nu (tier 5 MT), it is fairly pointless to load gold (155mm pen) against for example an O-I or an O-Ni (150mm raw weakspots): the front will still be hard or impossible to penetrate, while it is overkill to use on their sides or rear.

As such, I rarely fire gold with that tank since very few targets really need it.

samuelx43a #16 Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22400 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I'm glad you passed the T-28 grind and have the glorious KV-1...

but I expect you to have the KV-2. It is assured fun, and with all the bells & whistles, i got it at a sub 20 second reload.(The equipment for this would be EGLD,rammer and vents)

Also, if you catch me not goofing around in my higher tiers, feel free to send a toon invite.

Killer711 #17 Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Hehehe :medal:

Crusader hall of fame

Edited by Killer711, 01 October 2018 - 06:00 PM.

Killer711 #18 Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

C*ck ups all around today. Losses just kept rolling in, I think I ended the day with 10 in total, with maybe 6 wins and a draw. Had personal reserves on, and I did horrendously. Even my magic artillery, that wins all games it plays (5/5 with almost no contribution from me :trollface:) only found a win on the second go. In the end, it was a mad scramble to even do the daily x2 in the VK, its magical 52% dropped to a measly 49%... On the bright side, the Tiger is researched! I didn't think I'd buy it, but since it was on offer how could I not? But, to keep in the theme of c*ck ups, for some reason I bought it with 75% crew, even though I'd been planning to transfer my old crew, I even gave it a thought but still, I wasted 100,000 credits on guys I dismissed a second later. Yes yes, I'm keeping my dirty hands of the Tiger until I get a crew skill and the free xp to max it. Still like havin it there though :)

Edited by Killer711, 06 October 2018 - 07:29 PM.

Killer711 #19 Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Ay ay ay, it’s a sad day in Killerville. Personal reserves for 2 hours saw a pretty significant loss streak. On Wednesday I started the day on 44.5%, today, Friday, I was on 44.3% which is pretty annoying. VKs WR gone from 51 to 48, and KV1 struggling to break 50. On the interesting side of things, I was in a game with 4 platoons on each team, an in game platoon made that 5, which is the most I’ve ever seen. That was about the pinnacle of excitement.

Edited by Killer711, 06 October 2018 - 07:30 PM.

Killer711 #20 Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I am genuinely losing the will to live. Just take a look at that measly 44.19% Down 0.31% in just 4 days. I thought I was safely on 51% in the VK3601H and that I’d have to lose an unrealistic amount of games in a row for it to go down significantly. Obviously that’s what happened, and now it’s stuck on 47%. KV1 oscillating, but not too well either. Cromwell increasing actually, with a fairly decent replay of the week I think I’ll post tomorrow. Over all however I lost about 2/3 of all games, and after 6 losses in a row I signed off. Even my magical artillery’s couldn’t do anything, didn’t even leave them on a win. I kid you not a 13-5 apparent win turned into a loss when a 2 man platoon carried on the other team. In fact, there were a couple of occasions of a 5-0 becoming a 6-7 and then a 10-15 defeat. World of warships calmed my nerves, I feel like I’m doing quite well in it, although that could be beginners luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users