The road to decency - A noobs quest.

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Killer711 #81 Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

A strange phenomenon is happening. I start of getting some happy wins all is good. Though when I check my stats at the end of the day I end up lower than when I started! Maybe it can only be expected, by me playing tier 4s. I've started on the italians, but I don't know if I should carry on, because apparently the mid tiers are awful.. I've just unlocked the top gun on the lee and I like it. I get frustrated not having a turret but the gun is great. Nevertheless, whenever I play tier 4 I physically can't get higher than 42% wr, I don't know what it is, but even a 7-1 lead turned into a loss. I guess a winrate drop is only to be expected playing tier 4. My reliable KV1 is dropping wr, to a still respectable 52%. I've started on the 1s but it's not very fun stock. 

Killer711 #82 Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Let me share with you guys a story. When I started this game all those years ago, I had no aim. I think I picked the L.tr to start with, because Germans are the best right? I also liked their grey tanks, and tech tree. I remember scrolling through the old shop, that showed you all the tanks you didn't own and watching as they got bigger and remarking at which one I wanted. The bigger the better I thought. I remember seeing some tank, perhaps it was in a tier 2 battle or even some tier 10 on YouTube, and just starting that line. I never really continued any. I once saw a Foch in a video and just starting on French tds, without any further research or thought on the rest of the line. Oh and that American tier 2 or 3 TD that used to be op (I think) the box one.. Yeah I started a lot, but never really followed through.  It wasn't until one day, when I saw a Wargaming video on the Tiger 2, that I thought, I should grind something. As in actually aim to get somewhere. I had a good start in the German lines and I had my eyes firmly set on the Tiger, after all Germans are the best right? Anyway that was my first ever real goal. It took a side step when the British tanks came out, and I focused on the heavies. I remember thinking I'd be one of the first to reach tier 10! That dream kinda crumbled when I saw a Black Prince in my team when I had the Churchill 1. Fast forward a few.. I don't even know how long, I took many breaks, and I had that Black Prince, my first tier 7. I was so proud I spent some gold I had in my account for some reason on some camo to celebrate. But then I saw a Centurion AX featured in one of Jingles' videos, and I wanted it. Although more realistically I wanted a Comet. I don't really know why i just thought it looked great. 

Ive had the comet researched for some time now, and today every tank above tier 5 is discounted. Since I was sat on 5 million credits, I ended up buying a KV2, a T150 (this came as a surprise- turns out I'd played the KV1 enough to research all 3 vehicles that succeed it) and the Comet. Buying it made me think, I'd now achieved both of my goals I'd set so long ago. Both the Tiger 1 and Comet are sat in my garage. I remember being excited in unlocking my second ever tier 6, The VK3601H and wondering if I'll ever get anymore.

Ive been thinking about a way to end this extremely emotional message. I guess I'll end it with a full stop. 

Edit

Edited by Killer711, 10 November 2018 - 06:58 PM.

UrQuan #83 Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19839 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Always nice to achieve goals you have set yourself. Congratulations on your tanks :honoring:

I sorta had the same thought before I went for the KV-4. I saw one in a battle when I was a rather new player & nothing could penetrate it (it was a new tank back then) & it just looked so imposing when it rolled into view, bouncing shot after shot as it came closer, demolishing any tank it saw with it's high pen gun.

That's when I decided I wanted on of those steel bricks & roll around on the battlefield like that guy. It took me a long time & plenty of matches & learning, but now I am that KV-4 driver, inspiring others to drive one ;)

Killer711 #84 Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Almost 100 battles later, I seem to have broken out of 45.2-.3 limbo, with 45.49% Great. Managed to do all x5 tanks, although the Lee had another game where it got one shot off and died.. Ah well. x5s helped me get rid of the m7 priest, onto next tier. Luckily I only had to play 1 game with that tier 3 gun again due to a guy pulling off the craziest carry ive ever seen in a soviet tank destroyer. Further proof that artillerys are blessed (so far), this is the second time this has happened. Last guy alive, ended on 9 kills. I was in the garage and just saw the game come back a win. Crazy. He had most his games in that tier 4 russian TD. 

The Tiger! Love it. Led to the most exciting game i've had in a while, awesome teamwork and whatnot with fellow Dinger Woody. Check it out as Replay of the Week.

Replay of the Week

Killer711 #85 Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2722 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The next goal ive set myself is to unlock the T29 by January to put my female crew members in it, that's a pretty fast grind for me, but it meant picking up the Lee and giving it a go.

I'd heard a lot about the Lee, and in the days.. before.. I had it stock with a 50% crew and played about 20 awful games in it before selling it. 38% WR. I bought it a month or two ago and started playing it again for x5 weekend a week ago. Now, a week later and a total of 50 games in it, I.... like it. Sure it's very annoying without a turret, but I enjoy it. I think I have some lucky match making because I was top tier or bottom in a t5 game about 80% of the time, which let me unleash this tanks great gun without much fuss. I also saw many good teams so that 38% went up to 53%.. wow. Most interestingly though I average a couple of kills a game. Including the ~20 games I played when I was ultra tomato, stock with awful crew where I probably got a grand total of 60 damage, I now have an average of 0.8 kills per game. My best tank the VK got about 0.5 kills per game so... that was surprising. I'm using the 100% Eagle 7 crew now, which although drops to 75% I thought that'd be alright since i'm tight, and it is. Accuracy was horrendous but I usually ended up driving up to pointblank range and shotgunning everyone I saw. That was great fun as everyone was intimidated by the full bulk of an M3 Lee rushing them with its crazy dpm.

Here is my last game in it: http://wotreplays.eu...cc9269d4f252c50

It was fun while it lasted. Not something i'd keep but it will get a noble send off as i sell it. Now onto the M4.

45.64%

edit: huh, I cant tell if the replay works, basically, I loaded in about a minute late (:angry:) drove to the East and got, I think it was 3, kills in quick succession. Didn't aim once for any of them haha. Then Arty killed me. 

Edited by Killer711, 17 November 2018 - 04:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users