My top burning questions...

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Gifxt300 #1 Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:16 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5137 battles

Goood evening/day etc to you all.

I am in need of your services because I have been playing for a while and I would greatly appreciate a few simple answeers to a few questions I have. I do peruse and amuse myself on the forums from time to time so please help me with these endavours.

1: WHo/what is a "Dinger"?

2: Who/what is a "qpranger" and why is it special?

3: What is WN8 and it's significance in WOT|? ( I see A LOT of ban XVM threads but I do not fully understand the topic).

4: I would like to become a better player, can you please surgest lines/vehicals that one can see things differently and hopefully use them to increase their skill. To this, I would also greatly enjoy hearing your experinces on playing WOT and noticing your abilities grow.

I have other questions but cannot remember them, I will possibly add them at a later date.

Thank you in advance for your time and sharing your insights and knowledge with myself.

Lastly, I apologise for spelling/grammer mistakes. I have been drinking as I finally have some days off work and intend to enjoy myself.

Sincerely,

GIFXT300

VarzA #2 Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:23 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22801 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostGifxt300, on 16 October 2018 - 02:16 AM, said:

I am in need of your services because I have been playing for a while and I would greatly appreciate a few simple answeers to a few questions I have. I do peruse and amuse myself on the forums from time to time so please help me with these endavours.

1: WHo/what is a "Dinger"? --- an annoying bunch of ppl who had the decency to get together so they would be easier to identify and dispose of through regular killing (ingame) or tk-ing

2: Who/what is a "qpranger" and why is it special? --- amongst the annoying bunch of ppls, he is at the top of the pack, so the probability ... nay, the duty of tk-ing him should be high !!!

3: What is WN8 and it's significance in WOT|? ( I see A LOT of ban XVM threads but I do not fully understand the topic). --- a rating system, it calculates the average expected values of damage per tank and the more you go above that, the more it increases ... logarithmic function probably. Officially unliked but unofficially probably adored by WG because it makes ppl crazy about raising their stats. Does not take into account spotting/assisst damage.

4: I would like to become a better player, can you please surgest lines/vehicals that one can see things differently and hopefully use them to increase their skill. To this, I would also greatly enjoy hearing your experinces on playing WOT and noticing your abilities grow. --- depends on the class of tank you like to play; some will suggest the easiest lines, others will suggest the harder lines so you learn by avoiding drowning.

I have other questions but cannot remember them, I will possibly add them at a later date.

Thank you in advance for your time and sharing your insights and knowledge with myself.

Lastly, I apologise for spelling/grammer mistakes. I have been drinking as I finally have some days off work and intend to enjoy myself.

Sincerely,

GIFXT300

Answers in bold, to the best of my ability.

Cuck0osNest #3 Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12544 battles
  • [YGDRA] YGDRA

3: What is WN8 and it's significance in WOT|? ( I see A LOT of ban XVM threads but I do not fully understand the topic).

4: I would like to become a better player, can you please surgest lines/vehicals that one can see things differently and hopefully use them to increase their skill. To this, I would also greatly enjoy hearing your experinces on playing WOT and noticing your abilities grow.

3. Pay to win and useless efforts measure, more you have it more you are respected by people who are massively deluding about skill. They are just WG's easy controllable muppets.

4. You dont need special vehicle to show skills, only RR system now counts all possible skills, just don't ask how it does it. You just choose what you will like, and if you will not, just blame WG for lying to you.

Keep your eyes opened and don't fall into lake of massive delusions. If you want to understand how radio and spot mechanics work in this game, then i can't even bother trying to teach you, cos this is just terrible part of game what is so unintuitive for new players because it is just part of comfort monetization system.

With best regards. Cuck0osNest6. Hail oskorei!

Edited by Cuck0osNest, 16 October 2018 - 02:44 AM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #4 Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:39 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17253 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Dingers is the collective name for members of WJDE, TDU and I assume Donger as well do somewhat count since it's Dingers with more of a taste for organised and competitive play. A good number of the active posters on the forum are members of the Dingers, so they're pretty stand out among the forums, for better or worse depending on your view I guess.

qpranger is a forumite who I'll admit to not knowing much on besides that he just likes posts at random and that's about the extent of my knowledge. 

WN8 Is a value based on your average damage in a tank (I'm pretty sure it's purely damage based and nothing more, but might be wrong on that account). The more damage you achieve, the higher the WN8 Value. This varies across tanks though, so a tank that less commonly achieves high damage is easier to get higher WN8 In as a result when compared to one that is both very good at achieving results and also very popular.

XVM As mentioned is a mod that shows namely your WN8 In battle. Thus, you can tell from that information that someone with a higher WN8 Than others is more likely to achieve higher results, which paints a pretty nice target on that person which leads to what we call XVM Focus, as in to focus someone in particular over another based on their stats. Without the mod, the average player wouldn't know that sort of information (you can recognise someone from their username i.e a popular streamer, or their clan tag, but I would feel those are less prominent than XVM-based focusing tbh) and thus it's particularly disliked by the upper playerbase.

Frankly I can't say. There's great material such as YouTube guides or streamers to watch, people who are willing to platoon with you to help you improve or even things such as the SGTA Tanker's Handbook, but end of the day I feel like you yourself have to best identify your weaknesses and improve them, with the other material mostly being just to help identify your faults if you can't otherwise recognise them.

The best way I think to improve is really just to always strive to do better. Set reasonable goals for yourself. Don't just try to think "I'll be able to achieve 60% WR!", instead go for something that is more your level and steadily raise yourself to that point, then raise it further. As I mentioned above, try to recognise your faults. If you're having a particularly hard time with a tank, ask yourself what you're struggling with the most with it, maybe ask on the forums about it especially from people who have played that tank or line. You can do well with one tank but not so much the other?

Even if you have a good game, try to think what you could have done differently if it ended in a defeat (though I won't try to say it's not fair to push fault onto your team now and again if you were trying to backpack them and they kept trying to do everything to prevent the win) or if you could have just done more. It's especially good to try to find a platoonmate who isn't too different from yourself so they can maybe assist you in that development (I especially say "too different from yourself" since I don't really feel it's good for learning to platoon say, a tomato with a unicum and expect the tomato to suddenly improve their gameplay, especially since some of the stuff the unicum would try to explain may just go over the tomato's head and not really stick), I definitely attribute that I started playing quite well early on to this sort of thing.

Gifxt300 #5 Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:41 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5137 battles

View PostVarzA, on 16 October 2018 - 02:23 AM, said:

Answers in bold, to the best of my ability.

Your bold answers made me chuckle like a school girl, I do appreciate the time taken though. Much appreciated.
01:44 Added after 3 minutes

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 October 2018 - 02:39 AM, said:

Dingers is the collective name for members of WJDE, TDU and I assume Donger as well do somewhat count since it's Dingers with more of a taste for organised and competitive play. A good number of the active posters on the forum are members of the Dingers, so they're pretty stand out among the forums, for better or worse depending on your view I guess.

qpranger is a forumite who I'll admit to not knowing much on besides that he just likes posts at random and that's about the extent of my knowledge. 

WN8 Is a value based on your average damage in a tank (I'm pretty sure it's purely damage based and nothing more, but might be wrong on that account). The more damage you achieve, the higher the WN8 Value. This varies across tanks though, so a tank that less commonly achieves high damage is easier to get higher WN8 In as a result when compared to one that is both very good at achieving results and also very popular.

XVM As mentioned is a mod that shows namely your WN8 In battle. Thus, you can tell from that information that someone with a higher WN8 Than others is more likely to achieve higher results, which paints a pretty nice target on that person which leads to what we call XVM Focus, as in to focus someone in particular over another based on their stats. Without the mod, the average player wouldn't know that sort of information (you can recognise someone from their username i.e a popular streamer, or their clan tag, but I would feel those are less prominent than XVM-based focusing tbh) and thus it's particularly disliked by the upper playerbase.

Frankly I can't say. There's great material such as YouTube guides or streamers to watch, people who are willing to platoon with you to help you improve or even things such as the SGTA Tanker's Handbook, but end of the day I feel like you yourself have to best identify your weaknesses and improve them, with the other material mostly being just to help identify your faults if you can't otherwise recognise them.

The best way I think to improve is really just to always strive to do better. Set reasonable goals for yourself. Don't just try to think "I'll be able to achieve 60% WR!", instead go for something that is more your level and steadily raise yourself to that point, then raise it further. As I mentioned above, try to recognise your faults. If you're having a particularly hard time with a tank, ask yourself what you're struggling with the most with it, maybe ask on the forums about it especially from people who have played that tank or line. You can do well with one tank but not so much the other?

Even if you have a good game, try to think what you could have done differently if it ended in a defeat (though I won't try to say it's not fair to push fault onto your team now and again if you were trying to backpack them and they kept trying to do everything to prevent the win) or if you could have just done more. It's especially good to try to find a platoonmate who isn't too different from yourself so they can maybe assist you in that development (I especially say "too different from yourself" since I don't really feel it's good for learning to platoon say, a tomato with a unicum and expect the tomato to suddenly improve their gameplay, especially since some of the stuff the unicum would try to explain may just go over the tomato's head and not really stick), I definitely attribute that I started playing quite well early on to this sort of thing.

You have taken a great deal of time to answer my questions, I am humbled. Or perhaps it is the vodka making me feel warm inside, who knows? I have noticed that map awareness really does seperate the good players from the great players. Do you know of anything/where I could go to see something on maps in greater detail?

Desyatnik_Pansy #6 Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:46 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 17253 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostGifxt300, on 16 October 2018 - 02:41 AM, said:

You have taken a great deal of time to answer my questions, I am humbled. Or perhaps it is the vodka making me feel warm inside, who knows? I have noticed that map awareness really does seperate the good players from the great players. Do you know of anything/where I could go to see something on maps in greater detail?

I'm not actually sure personally since I mostly like to "learn by doing". It's quite unfortunate though when new maps come out or there's changes to a map and so I don't have a single clue what to do and I'm not sure if what I decide on is actually going to be a good decision or not. :P

Gifxt300 #7 Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:03 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5137 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 16 October 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

I'm not actually sure personally since I mostly like to "learn by doing". It's quite unfortunate though when new maps come out or there's changes to a map and so I don't have a single clue what to do and I'm not sure if what I decide on is actually going to be a good decision or not. :P

I guesss it's like life, just give it your best shot and hope for the best :D

XxKuzkina_MatxX #8 Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:19 AM

Major

• Player
  • 53179 battles
  • [_B-R_] _B-R_

Something to go with your vodka...

Vule777 #9 Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26341 battles
  • [BZVZ] BZVZ

Sincerely,

GIFXT300

My man. :D

Finally someone normal here. :D

JocMeister #10 Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:06 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 25670 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

GIFXT300

Watch Youtube vids and streamers. This will give you a good idea about what positions to take on what maps and in what tanks. 

https://www.twitch.tv/skill4ltu

https://www.twitch.tv/orzanel

https://www.twitch.tv/sirfoch

When it comes to tanks and lines there are two very good beginner lines. Both Russian. Is7 line for HTs and Obj 140 (via T-34-85 - T-43 - T-44 - T-54).  A good rule of thumb is to not rush through the tiers. Stay on a tier until you can maintain at least a 50% WR and can consistently do your own HP in damage. Also I would never go above tier 5-6 without at least 6th sense on the commander.

ftangTheSeer #11 Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:41 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 306 battles

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 16 October 2018 - 03:19 AM, said:

Something to go with your vodka...

Nah, this is more like it.

As for OP's questions ...

1. Dingers are a collective of players who are among the last to remember that this is a game and games are supposed to be fun. Irreverent, argumentative and occasionally banned for crossing the line, Dingers annoy a lot of posters who believe they should be taken seriously because of some numbers (see 3).

2. qpranger (pronounced q-pranger no matter what he claims) has a habit of liking threads that are patently nonsense. He does this because he's unable to post his own personal brand of nonsense, seeing how he's suspended from posting on the forum for a year. He is also a Dinger, which is purely coincidental.

3. WN8 is a metric invented by a subsection of the community who like numbers to allow judgement to be passed on lesser players - it's like the ELO figures used by many shooter games. WoT has a personal rating that was deemed unworthy, possibly because no one was quite sure how to pad it. WN8 is a damage metric - score more damage, get more WN8.

XVM is a collection of legal mods that includes the display of WN8 in-game against each player. Players with high WN8 often claim this allows other, lesser, players to target them specifically because their stats are displayed (and they never quite answer the query of whether they're doing exactly the same thing) and call for it to be banned for that reason.

It's a fairly cyclic argument that usually results in the accusation that those who don't care are only saying that because they don't get targeted as their WN8 is too low.

4. Play lots of different classes and lines. There isn't a selection of magic lines that everyone can play well, best thing you can do is try them and find out what suits you and what doesn't. That's not intended to be a cop-out answer, lots of people will say this or that line are the best for new players but if you don't get on with them, there's nothing wrong with playing something else instead.

This can obviously take a long time not just because there are lots of lines in the game but sometimes the lower tiers don't reflect how the higher tiers will play. So play Russian mediums and/or heavies because Russian bias and you have an ready-made excuse for poor performance because it's obvious that the game's rigged to pretend that Russian bias isn't a thing.

LethalWalou #12 Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27974 battles
  • [HSOP] HSOP

View PostJocMeister, on 16 October 2018 - 04:06 AM, said:

Watch Youtube vids and streamers. This will give you a good idea about what positions to take on what maps and in what tanks. 

https://www.twitch.tv/skill4ltu

https://www.twitch.tv/orzanel

https://www.twitch.tv/sirfoch

When it comes to tanks and lines there are two very good beginner lines. Both Russian. Is7 line for HTs and Obj 140 (via T-34-85 - T-43 - T-44 - T-54).  A good rule of thumb is to not rush through the tiers. Stay on a tier until you can maintain at least a 50% WR and can consistently do your own HP in damage. Also I would never go above tier 5-6 without at least 6th sense on the commander.

I would add mr FastFetus to that list (a.k.a www.twitch.tv/quickybaby) as a dose of fairly healthy community for people who either don't understand or like the echo chamber of hate towards WG in those other channels. :) I quite like SirFoch though and recommend any new player to watch him, just because of his pure skill in the game without any assists and also the humour as well.

Joggaman #13 Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:11 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24779 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I will answer your two first questions, as I think you have got good answers to the others (if you don't count post #3):

Click here for answer numero 1:

Answer numero 2:

You are welcome:honoring:

Have fun,

Jogga

Edited by Joggaman, 16 October 2018 - 07:12 AM.

Homer_J #14 Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30431 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

1. A gold spamming forum bot.

2. The forum's early warning system for stupidity.

3. It's a number made up by elitists to brag about their superiority, completely rigged calculation and utterly of no significance at all.

rustysprite #15 Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:16 AM

Major

• Player
  • 22494 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

1. A Dinger is a fish based product (does not contain Dolphin)

2. Qpranger - Werehamster - Similar to a Werewolf, but less cute

Dorander #16 Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18688 battles

View PostftangTheSeer, on 16 October 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

Nah, this is more like it.

<snip vid>

Thanks for that vid, I can never scrub that from my brain... there's not enough alcohol in the world... :teethhappy:

jabster #17 Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12618 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostHomer_J, on 16 October 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

1. A gold spamming forum bot.

Gold spamming forum gangbangers surely?

KL_loves_arty #18 Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 250 battles

4: I would like to become a better player, can you please surgest lines/vehicals that one can see things differently and hopefully use them to increase their skill. To this.

Sincerely,

GIFXT300

Play arty...

Edited by KL_loves_arty, 16 October 2018 - 09:36 AM.

Homer_J #19 Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30431 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjabster, on 16 October 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

Gold spamming forum gangbangers surely?

Gold spamming forum gangbanging bots?

Deffo bots.  And all connected to the central brain(cell) for Dingers.

wsatnutter #20 Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:43 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 25833 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

dingers= a collection of gold spam fishmongers

qpranger= a forumite who sucks the souls of posters who are DOH

xvm = people who need tinfoil and lots of it

as for help in becoming a better player I will leave that to others

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users