The most ridiculous chatban story you'll ever read... [Chatban System Needs a Rework]

Chatban Rework

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

Yaccay #41 Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33253 battles
  • [4TL] 4TL

You have no right to harm someone else, because you had a bad day in WoT.

or generaly,

You have no right to harm someone else, because you had a bad day.

Imagine: Your tire got flat, your pet died, your battery is empty and you can not call, etc,  and suddenly you can hit freely other people. Is it right?

Dorander #42 Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:36 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18584 battles

View PostYaccay, on 31 October 2018 - 10:09 PM, said:

or generaly,

Imagine: Your tire got flat, your pet died, your battery is empty and you can not call, etc,  and suddenly you can hit freely other people. Is it right?

Let's get some perspective please. Nobody got assaulted. Undirected rage does not harm anyone. Only personal attacks directed at an invididual can be even remotely said to harm anyone verbally. Nothing has been said that even suggested that that is the case. Furthermore no guarantee was ever given that a world would be provided to you in which you'd never be indirectly and/or accidentally harmed.

Imagining things that did not happen is useless. Nobody got hit. Someone smashed his keyboard, an inanimate object, that's the only damage actually done.

Search_Warrant #43 Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:51 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27235 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

I got chatbanned yesterday too.... the guy was one of the "wiggle like a durrrr" in front fo you and you get annoyed coz u cant hit anything. meanwhile he is reloading and no reason to be in front of you. and then takes a accidental HE shell from my KV-2 coz he was doing this.  meanwhile i rage at him for being an idiot and then i poke to shoot the enemy coz i cant do it near this idiot coz he will screw it up. what he do? pushed me out of cover and gets me shot and i die.

People like that deserve more than harsh words from me. they deserve perma banning for being a complete and utter tool. he teamkills me and im the one gets chat banned. WG in a nutshell. protect the low IQ.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 31 October 2018 - 11:52 PM.

Captain_Kremen0 #44 Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37510 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 31 October 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

I got chatbanned yesterday too.... t

You deserve it for that avatar -its........too far.

In chat I am saltier than Salty the Sea-Faring sea serpent shagger and Ive never had a chat ban. If I get on tomorrow I shall consider this a challenge.

Search_Warrant #45 Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:05 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27235 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 31 October 2018 - 11:01 PM, said:

You deserve it for that avatar -its........too far.

In chat I am saltier than Salty the Sea-Faring sea serpent shagger and Ive never had a chat ban. If I get on tomorrow I shall consider this a challenge.

Wow you dont like dancing fox girls? you are mean.

Strappster #46 Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:07 AM

General

• Player
  • 24915 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDorander, on 31 October 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

That actually made me giggle. I'm not even trying to appeal the chatban, I'm trying to figure out why I got it and they're closing tickets with copy-paste answers. That's not something I ever agreed to ;)

See I don't have this moment where I smashed my keyboard and raged in chat... I'm politely asking Customer Support for some context here so I have an idea if it was just some random curseword that hit the wrong crowd or something else I can't think of right now. I don't think it's an unreasonable position to want some specifics about what I've done wrong so I know what to avoid doing in the future (or for that matter if I want to avoid it), or so I can at least make an informed decision about whether I want to use chat (or be here at all). This is not like a cheatmod scenario where informing people might reveal detection methods or point out cheatmods, this is just basic communication.

I have done nothing recently that I have not done on occasion in the past six years, and whether you believe me or not, it was not nearly as bad as I personally witness on a daily basis. At the very least I'm wondering why apparently, suddenly, people got bans yesterday. If they have some new detection system that's interesting but it'd be the height of irony if they added some strict cursefilter to autoban people who on occasion use the f-word or similar language but have a system that'd fail to autodetect the frequent racism that permeates the teamchat. I'll take forks over facists any day.

Given the silly reasons people have received chat bans for saying innocuous things in the General chat channel, I'd be surprised if anyone at Support has access to the particular reason why you got yours. Your tickets will be falling into the easy-close queue that keeps the numbers looking good and that's about it. I understand your point about it not being a cheat that's under discussion but equally you can't expect Support to give you a list of good and bad words you can use, particularly as it might easily depend on context.

For example, "omg, I was so stupid in that last battle" is a personal facepalm. "OMG you are so stupid!" is a direct insult to someone who might be a new player and doesn't know not to block you when you're trying to pad your stats in your favourite tier IV tank. Should Support tell you the word "stupid" is a bad word? Should you be banned for the first instance as well as the second?

Chat issues can be a personal thing - when someone tells me about the relationship they've been having with my mother, I tell them I'm pleased that the old girl is meeting new people but there are plenty of people who take that sort of comment more seriously.

A two-day ban isn't a serious penalty, it's a smack on the wrist and a reminder to think before you hit Enter. You've made the decision to take it seriously, withhold any further payments to WG and query the reasons with Support because you're unhappy about it - I'm saying that's entirely up to you but I don't think it's particularly productive when you could be playing a game you enjoy.

malachi6 #47 Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:42 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 50256 battles
A chat ban stems usually, from cumulative reports, not a single game.  I guess WG's chat logs on you make interesting reading.  I know mine do.  But not in the same was I am sure.

m00h #48 Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 84780 battles
  • [322] 322
Giving a sh*t about chatbans is so 2012.

DorsVenabiIi #49 Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24952 battles
  • [BIBLE] BIBLE
I don't get why you're so upset though? Now you don't get to tell bobers they're stupid when they do something stupid for a week who cares man. 99.9% of battles you won't need that crap, and If your doing for a sense community then wasting your time since this community is prime disease. 

Edited by DorsVenabiIi, 01 November 2018 - 03:21 AM.

Slyspy #50 Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

If you mouth off in chat then you should expect to receive the oh-so-heavy punishment of a chat ban. You motivation is irrelevant.

Chat bans are more frequently applied than game bans because rule infractions are so much easier to identify. 

wsatnutter #51 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:02 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 25146 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
op don't rage m8 in the near ten years I've been playing this game I've had about 8 or 9 chat bans ranging from 1 day to  a week or more  now I don't rage its not worth it.

Simeon85 #52 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:05 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostYaccay, on 31 October 2018 - 11:09 PM, said:

or generaly,

LOL.

Are you seriously equating text words in a computer game with physical assault? 

:facepalm:

Get over yourself.

--------------------------------------------

Anyway, never been chatbanned myself to my recollection, rage a fair whack in chat so I kind of feel you must have to really go off on a full on offensive rant to get chat banned. 

But who really cares, it has very little impact, if you have any sort of clan communication platform like discord or teamspeak then the impact is very minor. 

Captain_Kremen0 #53 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37510 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostSimeon85, on 01 November 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

LOL.

Get over yourself.

The laws of many countries beg to differ....

pathed91 #54 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18154 battles

View PostSimeon85, on 01 November 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

LOL.

Get over yourself.

--------------------------------------------

Anyway, never been chatbanned myself to my recollection, rage a fair whack in chat so I kind of feel you must have to really go off on a full on offensive rant to get chat banned. 

But who really cares, it has very little impact, if you have any sort of clan communication platform like discord or teamspeak then the impact is very minor. 

Edited

Edited by BurningFlex, 01 November 2018 - 04:00 PM.
Political content

Dorander #55 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:24 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18584 battles

View PostStrappster, on 01 November 2018 - 12:07 AM, said:

Given the silly reasons people have received chat bans for saying innocuous things in the General chat channel, I'd be surprised if anyone at Support has access to the particular reason why you got yours. Your tickets will be falling into the easy-close queue that keeps the numbers looking good and that's about it. I understand your point about it not being a cheat that's under discussion but equally you can't expect Support to give you a list of good and bad words you can use, particularly as it might easily depend on context.

For example, "omg, I was so stupid in that last battle" is a personal facepalm. "OMG you are so stupid!" is a direct insult to someone who might be a new player and doesn't know not to block you when you're trying to pad your stats in your favourite tier IV tank. Should Support tell you the word "stupid" is a bad word? Should you be banned for the first instance as well as the second?

Chat issues can be a personal thing - when someone tells me about the relationship they've been having with my mother, I tell them I'm pleased that the old girl is meeting new people but there are plenty of people who take that sort of comment more seriously.

A two-day ban isn't a serious penalty, it's a smack on the wrist and a reminder to think before you hit Enter. You've made the decision to take it seriously, withhold any further payments to WG and query the reasons with Support because you're unhappy about it - I'm saying that's entirely up to you but I don't think it's particularly productive when you could be playing a game you enjoy.

No I would not expect Support to tell me "stupid" is a bad word. I would expect them to tell me "You shouldn't call anyone stupid under our rules." It is correct that chat issues can be a personal thing, so I'm inquiring what the personal perspective of Support is in this matter which is the entire point of the tickets. Specifically sections 2.01 and 2.06 are open to interpretation. It is not unreasonable to ask clarification from the authority that makes the rules about how and why those rules actually apply. They say I've said something that violates their rules and I'm simply asking what it was. They could quote my statements back to me, that'd be fine.

As for the numbers looking good, not sure to whom. Every time they close my ticket I get a survey form where I can specify why I'm giving negative feedback.

I think you misunderstand what I'm taking seriously and why I'm disinclined to spend any money. I'm not unhappy about the chatban, I'm unhappy about Customer Support, which are two different things. As for playing a game I enjoy, I am, in fact, I'm playing two now. One in which I drive tanks, which you apparently assumed I quit doing during this but didn't, and one in which I'm providing Customer Support with systematic feedback. :)

Slyspy #56 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:34 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDorander, on 01 November 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

I think you misunderstand what I'm taking seriously and why I'm disinclined to spend any money. I'm not unhappy about the chatban, I'm unhappy about Customer Support, which are two different things. As for playing a game I enjoy, I am, in fact, I'm playing two now. One in which I drive tanks, which you apparently assumed I quit doing during this but didn't, and one in which I'm providing Customer Support with systematic feedback. :)

I certainly don't understand what you are getting at. In fact you are coming across as uncharacteristically whiny for no apparent reason, so perhaps you are not communicating clearly enough.

Hedgehog1963 #57 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51455 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
No, you don't have the right to be angry.

Dorander #58 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:58 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18584 battles

View PostSlyspy, on 01 November 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

I certainly don't understand what you are getting at. In fact you are coming across as uncharacteristically whiny for no apparent reason, so perhaps you are not communicating clearly enough.

I'm not sure how to clarify it better. As for coming across whiny, I think that's a problem with the medium we're using. I'm not whining about a chatban, so try not to read my messages in the tone of one who is complaining about a penalty. I'm bemused by the process and the apparent avoidance-tactics of Support and intend to entertain myself with it for a while. If Support had simply said "Hey Dorander, you said XY in that game and Z in that one, that really crossed a line." I'd respond with "Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware you'd consider those so excessive, I'll try to be more careful."

I can count the amount of times I've had a warning or ban for some infraction in the past two decades on one hand, this is an atypical situation for me. Amusingly two of them are Wargaming related. However, I don't act differently than normal. So I am interested in what is different about this situation. Any other gaming environment in which such a thing has happened, an inquiry about the specifics informed me about what I'd done wrong from their perspective, it might've been avoiding a certain word, or a certain topic, and that helps me act according to their perspective on the rules in the future. In fact, I have 1 warning point right now, when I got it, I made a polite inquiry with the moderator, he clarified, I thanked him for the clarification and moving on. However Customer Support, whose job is described by their name, fails to do so.

So yeah it's a pet peeve, it's not serious, it's nothing noteworthy or even exceptional, everyone has a few. My pet peeve, as frequently evidenced on the forum, is poor argumentation. Engaging customer support isn't inherently any different from debating someone with weird theories, or for that matter, this discussion in and of itself. I'm not responding to you guys in some weird way to justify some ban-defense, I'm responding because a few people are levelling arguments against my choice to inquire with Customer Support.

The ban isn't important, it'll likely be gone before this thread ends, because as we can see for pet peeves, a lot of people feel the need to voice their opinion, even if it adds nothing new, so this'll fill with a few more comments over the next week before it'll be forgotten. I've also not been engaged with customer support before so I'm really curious how this'll play out, and whether or not eventually I'll get a human response. When Wargaming informed me of their decision in an email, they provided a link to Customer Support. Following that link I found a section where, amongst many other things, I could appeal bans, except that wasn't what I was going for. Sadly there is no generic inquiry option as I'm not actually trying to appeal. So if that is a function of Customer Support they're offering, why exactly should I not make use of it, and moreover, why should I accept dismissive answers?

I have an issue with Support. Not with chat, not with the game, not with bans, those are seperate matters. Hopefully I've clarified it properly, I'm unsure what else I could say to make clear where the problem lies.

Discontinued #59 Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1331 battles

I have chat turned off mainly to stop me raging at the dunder heads,

I mean these sub 50% players are so annoying with one exception, me, I am super annoying 

arthurwellsley #60 Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:37 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51988 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View Postpathed91, on 01 November 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

Haven't you heard? Words are violence now, according to the far left.

In the UK Common Law Assault and Battery could be committed by words alone as far back as the nineteenth century.

In more modern UK law the Public Order Act 1986 (passed when a right wing government under Margaret Thatcher was in power) covers three offences of "threatening, abusive or insulting" language in a public place.

The least serious is under section 5. Here it is an offence to use threatening, abusive or insulting words within the hearing of someone likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress by them. So the prosecution have to show only that there was someone else present who might have been caused harassment, alarm or distress, not that anyone actually was.

To the OP, you need to find a mechanism that will permit you to calm down without venting.

There will be plenty of occasions in real life if you live in a big city where you will want to say something to someone face to face. Best not to, and best to learn not to.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 01 November 2018 - 11:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users