Defender OP Buy Not

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Bordhaw #81 Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:33 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13339 battles

View PostOneFromOne, on 01 November 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

So after new update of client today we got what was sneaking out over all corners...Defender is BACK!No special paint as was first times,naked,but same tonk as everyone was crying about...I think what ever people say WG gona grab huge slice of cake from it and most people gona buy it for them self as pre Xmas gift.

Im one of them and im proud of this choice and im sure tons of bots who was shaming Defender as super OP will buy it too,maybe less loudly,maybe even in silent but even for 50£ they gona do it!

What you think?What you gona do?

Have fun and enjoy.

Eyesan #82 Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 70737 battles
Added mine to the collection this morning.

ValkyrionX #83 Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49149 battles
  • [VIVUS] VIVUS
obviously no , this tank is not op and nothing of special

snowlywhite #84 Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:27 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20381 battles

pay to play tier 8? Is this the joke of the week? In a heavy to boot =))))

so - I should pay to be eternally bottom tier, in a tank that needs a week of aimtime till it misses. Yeah, sure. It's an opportunity I can't miss :P

I really don't get the fuss about this tank. Play an is-3. It's free. Also, it actually hits what you're aiming at.

p.s. - this tank seems to be a cretin magnet. The amount I saw yoloing and dying in the 1st 5 mins today is remarkable.

Edited by snowlywhite, 02 November 2018 - 01:29 AM.

Cobra6 #85 Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16458 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostNoobySkooby, on 01 November 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

It isn't about spine or lack of it, unless you are talking about extremely good players, it is about fun, people go on about this as though it is the only supposedly OP tank in the game, the fact it is not just makes it a good tank, nothing more, higher tiers will and do shred it to bits, experienced same tier players will do the same, what percentage of WoT's players fall into the extremely competent game play category?

Not me thats for sure (got that one in before anyone else, lol)

It's not "supposedly OP", it is OP since across the board for all players' skill their win rate in the Defender on average is much higher then other tanks of the tier. That by definition means it is OP.

Also, the Defender/U have one of the highest average WR's of tier 8.

And your fun playing a tank which is better then most other tanks of the tier negatively impacts all the players you play against as they stand less of a chance against you compared to if you were in any other tank. 

Being killed by enemies is part of the game, sure, no complaining about that. But being killed by enemies driving a blatantly superior tank (that they bought for real money no less) that you stand less of a chance against is not much fun.

And since experienced players are few and far between on this server (and even they will have a harder time getting rid of a Defender) it means that the majority of players are actually negatively affected.

Cobra 6

velvetcough #86 Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4694 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I was pleasantly surprised to see it in the premium shop this morning.  Work seems to have been manic for months, so I've not been playing or having a nose in the forum, therefore I don't know if there was any fanfare across the interweb before launch.

That's the first good thing imo - the filthy task is done now, so all sides can sit happy in confirmation of whatever bias they bring to the issue, but personally I'm happy for those folks that have been wanting it for ages.

I just re-watched Jingles's & Quackybaby's reviews and, especially in QB's review, it's funny how quickly it gets torn apart once it hits tier 10 bad guys.  I'm glad it's a bouncy tonk with a big boom-stick - when I'm driving a heavy I want to bounce stuff with my armour, and high alpha is just plain nice.

I think wrapping it in a £50 package is a little granny (and par for the course), but if I drunk at all, I could spend more than that on going into town tonight and be left with a headache in the morning.

So, I'm happy to have it and look forward to taking it out just to see what all the fuss is about.  I know I won't enjoy getting targeted by everyone, but if it's a dangerous tank it deserves focusing on.

As someone else said though, I've also taken out the 50tp prototype, and I really enjoyed that tank a lot, so the 252u will have to go some to challenge that in my affections.

I, like others, also think perhaps the weirdest thing about the (what was inevitable) release of the Object 252u is the timing of it.  Seems to me they would have hooked themselves a lot more cash by doing with it what they did with the Type 59 in the Christmas boxes last December.

Those Russians...canny in ways beyond the vision of ordinary mortals.

See you on the battlefield soon I hope.

antwerp_fighter #87 Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 42749 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
I suck in my Obj 257, so I won't buy 252u

CraftyVeteran #88 Posted 03 November 2018 - 04:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5378 battles
  • [-B2C-] -B2C-
yes and its a fun tank. however, as soon as you're spotted the enemy team doesn't care about anyone else but you. lots of wins, but not a lot of dmg sometimes.

Makotti #89 Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 14960 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Won't buy this one, Cobra6 said it better earlier but putting such things for sale doesn't do any good to this game.

That's why I'm mainly playing arty now and delivering christmas presents to those spineless gamebreakers :trollface:

Kurat666 #90 Posted 03 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 31159 battles
  • [GIFTD] GIFTD

I do not care about it in random battles. What worries me, is that WG is going to fook up CW/SH at tier 8 even more. Do we really want tier 8 to be "open your wallet or GTFO" playground?

EDIT: it actually already is, but it gets even worse:(

Edited by Kurat666, 03 November 2018 - 08:43 AM.

kaneloon #91 Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

Major

• Player
  • 29632 battles
  • [UKN-A] UKN-A

View Postvelvetcough, on 02 November 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Those Russians...canny in ways beyond the vision of ordinary mortals.

They still are far behind our english friends ...

Gundonov #92 Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19152 battles

View PostValkyrionX, on 01 November 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

obviously no , this tank is not op and nothing of special

True and too expensive.

HundeWurst #93 Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 73031 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

I would just like to point out one thing.

Anyone who actually bought that thing this time has no reason to ever complain about WG any more. All of you just lost that right to complain. If you do so you are but a hippocrate of epic proportions.

I hereby revoke you option to complain.

Anyone who bought it showed WG that they are indeed on the right track, you supported all their doings. Complaining about that can be seen ans null and void.

Toni112007 #94 Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10735 battles
Defender is broken tank. Its time WG change their policy of can't nerf premium tanks and actually nerf broken premiums. I see no reason why premium tanks couldn't be nerfed if it would improve overall balance. But there are those who would cry "ugghh I can't seal club anymore"...

VonCarlsson #95 Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:41 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18021 battles
  • [O_D] O_D

Since I vehemently disagree with the notion that premium tanks should be any better than tech tree variants, I most assuredly will not.

tall_paul #96 Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:22 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 24975 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

It's been bought by a lot of terrible players and is been played terribly by a lot of people as far as I can tell.  Like NoobySkooby.

Also, people think they're invulnerable as opposed to being in a tank which is a bit better than an IS3.  I watched someone going toe to toe with an E100 and getting whupped.

I bought a Defender when it was originally on sale and there is no argument that it's massively OP.  However, I don't play it very often as, to be honest, I don't find it that much fun to play.

snowlywhite #97 Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20381 battles

View Posttall_paul, on 04 November 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

However, I don't play it very often as, to be honest, I don't find it that much fun to play.

seems to be in bobject category; OP but unfun. And at least bobject isn't bottom tier 50+% of the time.

I really don't get why ppl. would play an unfun tank for a couple more WR %s... Because bottom tier with that aim time can't be fun.

Tankistu #98 Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27684 battles

View PostCobra6, on 02 November 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

It's not "supposedly OP", it is OP since across the board for all players' skill their win rate in the Defender on average is much higher then other tanks of the tier. That by definition means it is OP.

Also, the Defender/U have one of the highest average WR's of tier 8.

Why is winrate the only factor in defining OP-ness?

I believe most players define OP-ness based on how they fare in their encounters with other tanks on the battlefield. Armour, survivability, damage caused. These should also be taken into account. 

SuedKAT #99 Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
No I won't buy it, firstly I have little interested in USSR tanks anymore and secondly I can't say I've ever enjoyed playing any tank with such a blatantly obvious advantage over my enemies.

View PostTankistu, on 04 November 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

Why is winrate the only factor in defining OP-ness?

I believe most players define OP-ness based on how they fare in their encounters with other tanks on the battlefield. Armour, survivability, damage caused. These should also be taken into account. 

The game consists of two teams facing of against each other, the goal is to win the match, the Defender grants a higher chance of that happening for players of any skill level, that means that the strengths of the tank such as it's armor, survivability and more grants the tank the ability to win more on average than other tanks. 

Tankistu #100 Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27684 battles

View PostSuedKAT, on 04 November 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

The game consists of two teams facing of against each other, the goal is to win the match, the Defender grants a higher chance of that happening for players of any skill level, that means that the strengths of the tank such as it's armor, survivability and more grants the tank the ability to win more on average than other tanks. 

When you go to youtube you see "14 kills"/"huge amount of damage blocked"/"huge amount of damage caused" videos.

That's how the hype forms and players base their perception of OP-ness on that. They want a tank in which they can survive difficult situations and win duels. Winrate without dmg blocked and dmg caused is a glass half empty.

Also tagged with Defender, OP, Buy, Not

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users