The Tracks Of My Years.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

OIias_of_Sunhillow #1 Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:57 AM

Major

• Player
  • 25241 battles

The idea, to list 5 tracks from your past that mean something to you.

Music that has marked a period in your life, that you now associate that music with.

1. 'My Ding-A-Ling', Chuck Berry. The first ever record bought for me when I was a child. I was lucky, my elder brother got, 'Long-Haired Lover From Liverpool', by Jimmy Osmond.

My younger brother got, 'I Can't Give You Anything', by, The Stylistics.

2. 'Bohemian Rhapsody', by Queen. The first single I ever bought. And I loved it. I was 10, and I was finding my music.

3.'Future Times/Rejoice', by Yes. I used to have a mate that was well into music come down to the house at weekends, bringing him some wonderful new music for me to listen to.

One day he brought round a Yes album, 'Tormato'. I was hooked immediately. This track is the first ever song by Yes I ever heard. And I'm still an avid fan.

4. 'Come On Eileen', Dexys Midnight Runners. The first summer after I'd joined the R.A.F. And it was a great summer, the sun was out, I had money in my pocket, I looked good, and I was horny.

5. 'Don't Look Back In Anger', Oasis. A period in my life when crapstarted to go wrong. Seriously wrong. I can't now listen to this record without getting upset. All that crap's gone now, but, you know, memories. And regrets.

Frostilicus #2 Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22495 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

Sound and Vision (Bowie) or Egyptian Reggae (Johnathan Richman) - I can't exactly remember, but one of these was the first single I ever bought, and the other one is the second!

Bat out of Hell/Kings of the Wild Frontier - Not exactly a track, so forgive me, but these two albums were absolutely massive when I was in Basic Training, always take me back when I hear a track from either album

I am the Walrus (Beatles) - always remember me and my girlfriend at the time making out to this album, and both getting the giggles at the "your knickers down" line in this song

Nasty (The Damned) - remember seeing them do this on The Young Ones and it just kind of went through me like an electric shock - still on my phone to this day

Wax and Wane (Cocteau Twins) - 1982 and my mate lent me his Walkman to listen to while I dozed after a night shift, he'd left this tape in there so I had a listen and my love for the Cocteau Twins began, still my favourite band by a long way

Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8070 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
I could list stuff but I doubt anyone has heard of it.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 68025 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

1: The song was on the first album I ever bought. And was more or less played 24/7 in my room for years. I still have the tape to this day. The kind of music I did stick with... until #2 at least. 

Spoiler

2: I was 12 when I borrowed this tape from my uncle. As I was bored of the one tape I had on a long road trip. He gave me this instead, and it was the day I found Chris Cornell and his amazing voice. A voice that is played more or less daily around here even today. And that also defined much of the music I did listen to the following years growing up. 

Spoiler

3: I never liked this kind of music. But this song was played when I started my first day at one of the schools I went to. It was played over the speaker as I did enter. It played multiple times over the time I went there. Tho I'm not a big fan of the song. It still has good memories that appear when I hear it. As it stuck with me as a reminder of the great time I had the 3 years I went to that school. 

Spoiler

4: A song that reminds me of my Army days as a combat medic. It was hummed by the group, as a hint to our platoon leader if we should push or fallback when we spotted an enemy etc during training missions when he started to "consider" things. The second he heard that song, he knew what we wanted. Tho I don't recall who started it, or why. It stuck around as a reminder of those days. 

Spoiler

5: Tho this band is one of my all time fav. This song even more so. As me and a mate played it all the time when the album came. Sung it together when we worked etc. Right after he got MS, at the same time the Drummer in this band got it more or less. This song stands as a good reminder of an easier time. 

Spoiler

Edited by Balc0ra, 06 November 2018 - 06:59 PM.

250swb #5 Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:59 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 23165 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

'Badge' by Cream - my best friend at the time had two older sisters and 'Badge' was the first track I heard that made me realise there was something other than Tamla Motown (not that there is anything wrong with Tamla Motown). It was a significant event and was the beginning of a long standing love of 60's and 70's rock and prog rock. I think Cream and Hendrix and Zeppelin all fitted with my inner desire to be a moody teenager and 'a bit of a rebel'.  

'Wichita Lineman' by Glen Campbell - the record was in the charts and reminds me of my first ever girlfriend dumping me for my best friend. The sadness didn't last long because when my best friend then reciprocally dumped his then girlfriend, the hottest girl in the school, and she and I suddenly had something in common in being dumped. And she took pity on me......so it's a song with no sad memories, just nostalgia. And nobody fell out with each other!

'Killer Queen' by Queen - just great memories of doing 'A' Level Art and History of Art before going off to Art College to do sculpture. Music was a big thing in the studios, we'd wear albums out, I still can't hear Carole King's 'Tapestry' without invoking the smell of paint or wet plaster.

'Poison Arrow' by ABC - living and working in Sheffield it was an astonishing period for music, especially as I got to hang around with some of the bands. But this track reminds me of just a bad time with girlfriends and feeling unsettled, so I still like the song but with pangs of regret.

Music by Hildegard of Bingen - was my discovery of ancient music and a happy time. When Hildegard was rediscovered it started a whole new craze for ancient music which hit a spot with me. I was feeling very creative and settled and it sums up an era rather than a particular memory. 

Edited by 250swb, 09 November 2018 - 06:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users