Cross team chat

chat general chat

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

uglycousin #1 Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 47425 battles

I've started playing Wows a few months ago. And I remembered one thing: we used to have general chat in WoT a while back.

It's so much more damn fun to be able to talk with the other team. Yes, there are the occasional insults, but there are also compliments and jokes across the board. And the classic "hey X player, catch this!".

And surprisingly, people very rarely reveal the location of friendly ships in general chat during endgame situations. Yes, there are idiots crying "cheats". But that does not change the fact that it is fun to talk with the other team.

And WG, why do we even have general chat in the game? That thing is so silly for so many reasons ... just thing how many people work for WG only to issue chat bans there rather than doing something really useful and/or productive.

P.S. and yes, wows has problems of it's own, but they also learned from WoT and don`t have many problems we have here. Overall I find it as a more enjoyable gaming experience.

WoT_RU_Doing #2 Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:58 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57768 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

From what I saw in cross team chat, WoT players are less patient than WoWS players, and frequently gave away players positions in the endgame. Like you, I miss some of the cross team banter, but sadly I think WG did the right thing removing it.

As for General Chat, it serves some useful functions, especially for newer players. Ones that come to mind include:

1. Introducing the concept of getting a ban.

2. Opportunity to learn a new language.

3. Keep up to date on brand new issues like arty, matchmaking and derp guns.

Less frequently, I also see it being used to raise questions over how various things work in the game, what tanks are worth looking into, and also for clan recruiting. While some of these items might be better raised on the forum, it took over two years for me to get my access to the forum fixed so that my sign in worked, so I have to assume that there are others that may not have access to the forum.

malachi6 #3 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:07 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 50920 battles

Occasional insults?  That's like saying WW1 was a small dispute between a couple of neighbours.  The moment you downplay the toxicity, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, lots of other words ending in obia, cheating, hating ranting, venting.  Your argument loses any veracity.

The vanishingly small number of times you saw genuine banter, in no ways outweigh the puerile vomit normally used in "chat".  I expect you want it back for one of the above reasons?

uglycousin #4 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:20 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 47425 battles

View Postmalachi6, on 09 November 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

Occasional insults?  That's like saying WW1 was a small dispute between a couple of neighbours.  The moment you downplay the toxicity, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, lots of other words ending in obia, cheating, hating ranting, venting.  Your argument loses any veracity.

The vanishingly small number of times you saw genuine banter, in no ways outweigh the puerile vomit normally used in "chat".  I expect you want it back for one of the above reasons?

Yes. Occasional. Not every game had them. Removing cross team chat did not remove toxicity. Can you honestly say that you have "toxicity, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, lots of other words ending in obia, cheating, hating ranting, venting." every now and then or do you have them in every battle? That crap did not go away, and will probably not go. Ever.

What I am thinking now is that we lost more than we gained by removing cross team chat. And I find myself enjoying wows more than wot. Not just because of that, but it is one of the reasons.

P.S. I do rant a lot when I have crappy players in my team. I don`t need XVM or cross team chat for those baby rage moments

Homer_J #5 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32243 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postuglycousin, on 09 November 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

And surprisingly, people very rarely reveal the location of friendly ships in general chat during endgame situations. Yes, there are idiots crying "cheats". But that does not change the fact that it is fun to talk with the other team.

Here here!

Bring back cross team chat!

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 09 November 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

frequently gave away players positions in the endgame.

Define frequently.

Because I saw it rarely, that is once every few hundred battles, maybe once every thousand.  And it may not be a popular opinion but in most cases (99%) it was deserved.

Then again not being the one hiding in a bush at A0 to avoid repair costs at the end of the battle might be the reason I didn't see it.

DaddysLittlePrincess #6 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28776 battles
  • [_RO] _RO
I really didn't care about insults, but I hated revealing tanks' positions by dead players when there still was chance to win the game.

WoT_RU_Doing #7 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:43 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57768 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostHomer_J, on 09 November 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

Here here!

Bring back cross team chat!

Define frequently.

Because I saw it rarely, that is once every few hundred battles, maybe once every thousand.  And it may not be a popular opinion but in most cases (99%) it was deserved.

Then again not being the one hiding in a bush at A0 to avoid repair costs at the end of the battle might be the reason I didn't see it.

I used to see it at least a couple of times per day. At the time, I was still playing relatively low tiers (mostly tier 6 and lower), approx. 50 battles per day, and I didn't used to leave a battle until it ended.

Captain_Kremen0 #8 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 39105 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostDaddysLittlePrincess, on 09 November 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

I really didn't care about insults, but I hated revealing tanks' positions by dead players when there still was chance to win the game.

Or spamming a location on the OTHER side of the map to throw them off the scent........number of [edited]that fell for that one.

If there is room for sledging in a game as genteel as Cricket I'm sure there is room for a little banter in WoT; it is actually a genuine tactic in all games.

Edity - 

Tard is a swear word??

Edited by Captain_Kremen0, 09 November 2018 - 08:48 AM.

Jigabachi #9 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
It's indeed fun - for normal and mature people.
The problem is that normal and mature people are a tiny minority in this game. Or... in general.

uglycousin #10 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 47425 battles

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 09 November 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

I used to see it at least a couple of times per day. At the time, I was still playing relatively low tiers (mostly tier 6 and lower), approx. 50 battles per day, and I didn't used to leave a battle until it ended.

I saw it rarely. Mostly it was in low tier games, where the player quality is not that good.

What happened often, if we talk about toxic stuff, was insults towards the enemy arty. Because people "love" being artied and they returned the love in chat.

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 09 November 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

Or spamming a location on the OTHER side of the map to throw them off the scent........number of [edited]that fell for that one.

If there is room for sledging in a game as genteel as Cricket I'm sure there is room for a little banter in WoT; it is actually a genuine tactic in all games.

Edity - 

Tard is a swear word??

Yea, that was fun. If we had a moron telling the location of the last tank alive, I would say "nah, he is lying, he camps X1" to throw them off.

Once we had a bot afking, and the enemy team deserved the win. One player had 5 or 7 kills and we were telling him where to get his medal. He did not believe us and he capped rather than risk it. :)

MrGimpSuit #11 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:51 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11087 battles
  • [U-WOT] U-WOT
I was thinking about this to myself the other day, I do miss the banter.

Homer_J #12 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32243 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 09 November 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

And how often was it actually a problem.  i.e. the person getting reported was actually going to turn the battle from at best a draw (which is a loss in my book) to a win?

Pretty much never.

No, all they were ever doing was prolonging the match and keeping their 14 team mates tanks hostage in the process.  That's why people reported their positions.

View PostJigabachi, on 09 November 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

It's indeed fun - for normal and mature people.
The problem is that normal and mature people are a tiny minority in this game. Or... in general.

But it's the immature and not normal people who make it fun. :great:

Edited by Homer_J, 09 November 2018 - 09:01 AM.

RamRaid90 #13 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25683 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

One of my favourites.

"Hey...<insert player name>..."

"Psst, Hey!"

*other player thinking he's hidden* "WHAT?!"

"Catch..."

1ucky #14 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 85077 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostHomer_J, on 09 November 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

(...)

Define frequently.

1 out of 15 times? :)

I think that might be the reason, at least that's what happened in my experience. When I started out playing the game I was suicide scouting a lot, so I missed out on endgame chat since I was already in another battle. But when I stopped suiciding and started becoming one of the last tanks standing more often, those occasions when teammates gave away my position (and in some cases even the gun pointing direction...) became more and more frequent. Since I was actually trying to win games, that sucked, so overall I guess WG made the right move with the general chat closure. Albeit at the sad cost of cross-team communication/fun.

TheLittleGirl #15 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25095 battles
  • [SWEC] SWEC
WG could return all chat, but #wouldthatendracism ?
The thing I miss most about all chat was the ability to taunt and being friendly with the other clan. Courtesies and subtle bants by our caller. Culture, we would call it. Something missing in todays youths.

Homer_J #16 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32243 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post1ucky, on 09 November 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

Since I was actually trying to win games,

So you were one player in a million.  No need to ruin everyone else's fun just for you.

And how many games were you actually winning?  3% at most.

Edited by Homer_J, 09 November 2018 - 09:07 AM.

SiliconSidewinder #17 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:06 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29050 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

giving away positions was sadly rather a thing, happened especially when some snowflake decided he wanted his tank back quickly after dying in the first minute, while there were a handfull of players  left that were playing tactically... or in his mind "beeing useless"

so I get why we don't have all chat anymore but I sorely miss the good old banther.

though the best one I ever hard was from a friend of mine and not chat related :P

during a normal day of playing suddenly there is a voice from next door:

"Dad?" the girl called from here PC

"yes dear?" my friend answered.

"I see you!" => KV 2 AP oneshot :P

wsatnutter #18 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:09 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26436 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
I miss it terribly my opening line  to the reds was "surrender and we  will  feed you with Pizza and beer"

Long_Range_Sniper #19 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37410 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I could never work out why WG turned it off. If they were going to do it for toxicity then it would only ever reduce it by 50%, and half a solution isn't a solution. If they wanted to actually reduce toxicity then they should have banned all chat apart from platoon chat, and limited communication to the preset commands which are at least translated.

They took a sledgehammer to crack a nut and missed half of the nut.

It was fun at times as well! Especially getting one back on arty that shot you earlier in the game.

gI37YAe.jpg

Homer_J #20 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32243 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 09 November 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

They took a sledgehammer to crack a nut and missed half of the nut.

And hit their foot in the process.

08:21 Added after 3 minutes

View PostSiliconSidewinder, on 09 November 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

giving away positions was sadly rather a thing, happened especially when some snowflake decided he wanted his tank back quickly after dying in the first minute, while there were a handfull of players  left that were playing tactically... or in his mind "beeing useless"

Giving away positions which 99% of the time the enemy knew already, to the great accuracy of one grid square, which could only play to your advantage by either relocating yourself or drawing the enemy into a trap.  And mostly you'd already lost anyway.  Really a none issue.

Also tagged with chat, general chat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users