chat general chat

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

XxKuzkina_MatxX #21 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

Sorry my cousin but i have to disagree with you on this one. I didn't like the all chat before and i don't think i'd like it now, in fact i do dislike chatting with allies quite a bit. Rarely something good comes from chat in WOT but then again one of my all time favorite images is this one...

1ucky #22 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 82750 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostHomer_J, on 09 November 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

And how often was it actually a problem.  i.e. the person getting reported was actually going to turn the battle from at best a draw (which is a loss in my book) to a win?

Pretty much never.

Not true at all. In fact, at low tiers it was very often the case. Camo sniping was winning games even at a numerical disadvantage. You could carry easily in a high dpm TD vs slow-a$$ zombie tanks who don't see you.

No, all they were ever doing was prolonging the match and keeping their 14 team mates tanks hostage in the process.  That's why people reported their positions.

Of course the reporters had their reasons, but they were lowering substantial win chances of the whole team just to get their tank back faster (or to be fair just to hurt the unspotted teammate, often enough). So they were purposefully hurting the team as a whole...

But it's the immature and not normal people who make it fun. :great:

This is of course true, and it's perhaps the only reason why it sucks that the chat's been closed. But you can thank the position revealers for that. They got their tank back faster, destroyed all their teammates winrate and hurt individual players who tried to bring the team to victory, -- so of course the cross-team chat had to go. Good job.

Homer_J #23 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31501 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post1ucky, on 09 November 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

Not true at all. In fact, at low tiers it was very often the case. Camo sniping was winning games even at a numerical disadvantage. You could carry easily in a high dpm TD vs slow-a$$ zombie tanks who don't see you.

You really need to learn how to use the quote system.  It's not hard.

If you were camo sniping in low tier games then you wanted the newbies stumbling toward you so having them know your grid square could only be to your advantage.

Of course the reporters had their reasons, but they were lowering substantial win chances of the whole team just to get their tank back faster (or to be fair just to hurt the unspotted teammate, often enough). So they were purposefully hurting the team as a whole.

As I have pointed out these cases were only common for special people like you.  Overall they were so rare as to not be an issue.  Many many more people were getting enjoyment from cross team chat.  In 99% of cases reporting positions was due to some idiot deciding that hiding in a bush for six minutes in the hope of not being found was fun.

The positives of cross team chat far outweighed the negatives, which you can't say for team chat so if anything the team chat should have gone and the cross team chat stayed.

uglycousin #24 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:32 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 47272 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 09 November 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Sorry my cousin but i have to disagree with you on this one. I didn't like the all chat before and i don't think i'd like it now, in fact i do dislike chatting with allies quite a bit. Rarely something good comes from chat in WOT but then again one of my all time favorite images is this one...

No need for apologies, if we all liked the same things then the world would be quite boring. :)

I am glad we started a conversation here and nobody is insulting anyone ... yet ...

djuro900 #25 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16856 battles
Sure there were idiots here and there but I miss cross chat. It felt like an mmo game, now I feel like I am playing single game against 29 tanks. Usually banter between opposing  players was fun. And best of all was when enemy player started raging at you, then you knew you did something right. And maybe it's just my imagination but chat was far more active and engaging  than now. 

1ucky #26 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 82750 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostHomer_J, on 09 November 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

So you were one player in a million.  No need to ruin everyone else's fun just for you.

Nope. I'm sure there's more people than one in a million who would rather win than lose. You don't have to assume that just because you're a guy who doesn't care if he wins or loses almost everyone else feels the same.

And how many games were you actually winning?  3% at most.

I was actually able to carry a lot at low tiers, and I could have carried more if there was no position revealing, but that's besides the point. The topic is about chat closure. And trolls who revealed friendly positions and thereby helped their whole team lose are the reason for that. (In addition to insults, perhaps. Though that could've been done away with just filters, perhaps.)

On a global level position revealing didn't matter, probably, since it happened to all teams so that the wins/losses due to that counter balanced each other, so to speak. But on the individual player level it did and it does matter. Since it screwed up the gaming experience for players who tried to make a difference in the battle outcome, instead of settling with the 49/1/50 W/D/L ratio without even trying.

Edited by 1ucky, 09 November 2018 - 09:55 AM.

Homer_J #27 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:56 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31501 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post1ucky, on 09 November 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

uglycousin #28 Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:59 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 47272 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK
Guys, keep it civil, or WG will ban cross team quotes. :hiding:

1ucky #29 Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 82750 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostHomer_J, on 09 November 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

Alright bro, I will. :)

If you were camo sniping in low tier games then you wanted the newbies stumbling toward you so having them know your grid square could only be to your advantage.

Sometimes, yes. But unspotted or camo sniping doesn't have to mean that you're always camping the same position, just that enemy players don't see you. You could be actively flanking, trying to find enemy tanks, surprise attack them from an unexpected position. In all these cases, the guy who keeps telling how you move through squares or where exactly you are, really sabotages you and the team.

As I have pointed out these cases were only common for special people like you.  Overall they were so rare as to not be an issue.  Many many more people were getting enjoyment from cross team chat.  In 99% of cases reporting positions was due to some idiot deciding that hiding in a bush for six minutes in the hope of not being found was fun.

Listen I was having fun in cross team chat, too.

Just saying that position revealing destroyed the whole thing, since it's unsportmanlike behavior towards the own team.

I can imagine some of the revealed players somehow "deserved it" but it's hard to generalise.

Cause as you must know people sometimes do stuff out of sheer spite.

Wasn't cool.

The positives of cross team chat far outweighed the negatives, which you can't say for team chat so if anything the team chat should have gone and the cross team chat stayed.

Well, I think if it was somehow possible to filter out position revealing then they could have and probably would have done just that, like filtering out swearwords. But it's obviously not doable since by creatively describing stuff you can circumvent single word filters.

Anyway, I liked the general chat too, but the position trolling was a dealbreaker.

ThinGun #30 Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:37 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 38633 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

I miss the chat.  Sure, the giving away of locations was annoying on the few occasions it happened.  And sure, the toxic homophobia and racism could get a bit wearing - but it happens in team chat anyway.  But the pre-match banter was sometimes comedy gold - especially the 'do you want to surrender now?' comments.

It could be brought back with a very minor mod - allow a specific report option for 'reporting team positions'.  Anyone getting three of those in a single match gets a chat ban for 24 hours.

Long_Range_Sniper #31 Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36303 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostHomer_J, on 09 November 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

All of this assumes that all players reported the correct position of their team to the enemy........cough cough.

44JAX44 #32 Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 15321 battles
  • [ELPR] ELPR

View Postuglycousin, on 09 November 2018 - 06:50 AM, said:

I've started playing Wows a few months ago. And I remembered one thing: we used to have general chat in WoT a while back.

It's so much more damn fun to be able to talk with the other team. Yes, there are the occasional insults, but there are also compliments and jokes across the board. And the classic "hey X player, catch this!".

And surprisingly, people very rarely reveal the location of friendly ships in general chat during endgame situations. Yes, there are idiots crying "cheats". But that does not change the fact that it is fun to talk with the other team.

And WG, why do we even have general chat in the game? That thing is so silly for so many reasons ... just thing how many people work for WG only to issue chat bans there rather than doing something really useful and/or productive.

P.S. and yes, wows has problems of it's own, but they also learned from WoT and don`t have many problems we have here. Overall I find it as a more enjoyable gaming experience.

one correction there was occasional compliments and jokes but mainly it was insults all the time every time, this way it's so much relaxing to play, for me personally I would prefer if they remove team chat as well, if you want to chat with someone use the invite to platoon in game option, and block for this battle option is a heaven addition to this game 

ThinGun #33 Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 38633 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 09 November 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

All of this assumes that all players reported the correct position of their team to the enemy........cough cough.

Good point.  I would sometimes post 'misleading' position reports.

I think it was only really an issue when there was single TD or arty left and there was a possibility of salvaging a draw.

Homer_J #34 Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31501 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post44JAX44, on 09 November 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

this way it's so much relaxing to play, for me personally I would prefer if they remove team chat as well,

There was always the option to turn off cross team chat, if you didn't use it then that just shows that it wasn't as big an issue as you make out.

Likewise you can turn off team chat.

Long_Range_Sniper #35 Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:02 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36303 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

On rare occasions if I was in a toon or there was another English speaker on my side I would ask them to do false reports and call me a camper noob or something.

It was surprising how many players didn't notice the reports were coming from the other guy in the enemy toon who was dead.

Aleo #36 Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 31518 battles
  • [-LOA-] -LOA-

View PostHomer_J, on 09 November 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Here here!

Bring back cross team chat!

Define frequently.

Because I saw it rarely, that is once every few hundred battles, maybe once every thousand.  And it may not be a popular opinion but in most cases (99%) it was deserved.

Then again not being the one hiding in a bush at A0 to avoid repair costs at the end of the battle might be the reason I didn't see it.

I'd say I saw people giving away positions of fellow teammembers on a fairly regular basis. Perhaps not ever other game, but more every third or fourth. In most cases it was the a$$høl that suicide scouted then started yelling about his team being passive campers and started to ping map and so on. Its anecdotal evidence in all cases. 

Homer_J #37 Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:07 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31501 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostThinGun, on 09 November 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Good point.  I would sometimes post 'misleading' position reports.

I think it was only really an issue when there was single TD or arty left and there was a possibility of salvaging a draw.

I wouldn't even if I was tempted to because there was the option to report for reporting enemy positions and I didn't trust the person behind the ban button to do any more than check chat logs so it could only take one idiot to report you for making reports even if they were false reports.
10:08 Added after 1 minute

View PostAleo, on 09 November 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

I'd say I saw people giving away positions of fellow teammembers on a fairly regular basis. Perhaps not ever other game, but more every third or fourth. In most cases it was the a$$høl that suicide scouted then started yelling about his team being passive campers and started to ping map and so on. Its anecdotal evidence in all cases. 

In those cases you use the in game report system ... if you hadn't already reported every arty player for UC.

razer01 #38 Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11621 battles
Yeah i miss the quality memes in the general chat. *sigh* :(

Discontinued #39 Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3644 battles

One thing I really like about ships is the chat macro's such as "good luck & fair seas". Also you could thank people and do an Asterix style swearing (*#^£x"+%*) if your allies or enemies annoyed you it took a lot of the toxicity away as there was an instant way to communicate you're displeasure.

I really think they need to update the macros in tanks to at least add "thank you" as an option if some tips you back over or gives you a push up a hill for instance

Overall Warships is a much more mellow game with a more adult and less toxic community.

The only thing that put me off was the length of the battles being so long.

Edited by Discontinued, 09 November 2018 - 11:23 AM.

eldrak #40 Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50456 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

Correct position reveals where pretty uncommon. They were often intentionally misleading or used to end games where the last one was crashed client/afk/flipped.

The crosschat toxicity was really minor compared to what happened on team chat. The only ones getting crosschat hate were arty.

Also tagged with chat, general chat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users