chat general chat

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Discontinued #41 Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3644 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 09 November 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

All of this assumes that all players reported the correct position of their team to the enemy........cough cough.

Yeah I used to do fake "give away team mates positions" its pretty funny seeing the enemy chasing shadows!

The other ones I liked where, "This is my dads account, how do I activate the machine guns"

Edited by Discontinued, 09 November 2018 - 11:38 AM.

ThinGun #42 Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:15 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38501 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

View Posteldrak, on 09 November 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Correct position reveals where pretty uncommon. They were often intentionally misleading or used to end games where the last one was crashed client/afk/flipped.

The crosschat toxicity was really minor compared to what happened on team chat. The only ones getting crosschat hate were arty.

Yeah, arty came in for some stick.  But I always assumed they loved to see a dead enemy player raging about "sky conkers" and the like.  

jabster #43 Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

On balance I'd say it was better when it was enabled. It may have reduced the toxicity slightly but chat is still a cesspit the big difference now being the it can’t be my fault I died crowd direct their lack of emotional control at their own team instead of the enemy.

WG’s reason for removing it always seemed a bit spurious as if you wanted to really reduce got bing away team positions then just remove cross team chat from those that have died.

mpf1959 #44 Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24040 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Chat is bollocks, mine is turned off, though it would be usefull to be able to report to the enemy where some useless die-hard is dug in, forcing a boring wait for your tank back, and a draw! 

Karasu_Hidesuke #45 Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16319 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Maybe WoWS demographics are different, but I had less problems with WoT cross-team chat than I've had since with those 'lovely' after battle messages waiting for me in the garage. WoWS chat can be hilarious at times! :Smile_veryhappy:

Jigabachi #46 Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHomer_J, on 09 November 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

But it's the immature and not normal people who make it fun. :great:

You have a point there.

However, those are also the ones who are to blame for the castrated chat.

Captain_Kremen0 #47 Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:55 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38553 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostKarasu_Hidesuke, on 09 November 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Maybe WoWS demographics are different, but I had less problems with WoT cross-team chat than I've had since with those 'lovely' after battle messages waiting for me in the garage. WoWS chat can be hilarious at times! :Smile_veryhappy:

It is - Rum, Bum and Baccy for those lads.

Joggaman #48 Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:03 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25013 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I miss it too!

Edited by Joggaman, 09 November 2018 - 05:04 PM.

DeadLecter #49 Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30298 battles

Does the advantage outweigh the disadvantage? No, it doesn't.

You just wanna say hi to the other side which is not a good enough reason to bring back the system which had so many negative aspects the most important one being giving up friendly tank positions. If you have something important to say to someone from the other side you can send them a PM after the battle

Edited by DeadLecter, 09 November 2018 - 06:11 PM.

Blubba #50 Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 58398 battles

Players revealing positions....frequently for me was around 1 in 5 games.  In my not insignificant number of games, I witnessed false reports less than times than I have digits on my hand.

It's a sad state of affairs when people have to spoil someone else's game for their hardon but spoil it they do.

As for that cobblers about 3%, 1 game is enough. Win, lose or draw. The fact that some don't give a fig is completely irrelevant. It's the some that do that counts when it's something that can easily be resolved or has it come down to me me me?

Jigabachi #51 Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDeadLecter, on 09 November 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

You just wanna say hi to the other side which is not a good enough reason to bring back the system which had so many negative aspects the most important one being giving up friendly tank positions. If you have something important to say to someone from the other side you can send them a PM after the battle

The two major issues WG used as an excuse to remove cross team chat were insults and players giving away positions.

Insults didn't stop with the removal of the chat, so that argument was and still is nonsense.

Giving away positions happened how often? Once every 5 matches with every other time being a trick? Most of the time it were the basecamping bots who got reported at the end of the match.

It's really simple: WG removed that chat because fixing those two problems required a tiny amount of effort and some dedication. And that's something that would have COST them money without any chance of earning money back.

cro001 #52 Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32325 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
I really don't miss it. WOT is pretty good PvE game with chat disabled.

Bordhaw #53 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13805 battles

View Postuglycousin, on 09 November 2018 - 04:50 AM, said:

I've started playing Wows a few months ago. And I remembered one thing: we used to have general chat in WoT a while back.

It's so much more damn fun to be able to talk with the other team. Yes, there are the occasional insults, but there are also compliments and jokes across the board. And the classic "hey X player, catch this!".

And surprisingly, people very rarely reveal the location of friendly ships in general chat during endgame situations. Yes, there are idiots crying "cheats". But that does not change the fact that it is fun to talk with the other team.

And WG, why do we even have general chat in the game? That thing is so silly for so many reasons ... just thing how many people work for WG only to issue chat bans there rather than doing something really useful and/or productive.

P.S. and yes, wows has problems of it's own, but they also learned from WoT and don`t have many problems we have here. Overall I find it as a more enjoyable gaming experience.

cragarion #54 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44832 battles

View Postuglycousin, on 09 November 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

I've started playing Wows a few months ago. And I remembered one thing: we used to have general chat in WoT a while back.

It's so much more damn fun to be able to talk with the other team. Yes, there are the occasional insults, but there are also compliments and jokes across the board. And the classic "hey X player, catch this!".

And surprisingly, people very rarely reveal the location of friendly ships in general chat during endgame situations. Yes, there are idiots crying "cheats". But that does not change the fact that it is fun to talk with the other team.

And WG, why do we even have general chat in the game? That thing is so silly for so many reasons ... just thing how many people work for WG only to issue chat bans there rather than doing something really useful and/or productive.

P.S. and yes, wows has problems of it's own, but they also learned from WoT and don`t have many problems we have here. Overall I find it as a more enjoyable gaming experience.

There is no arty in wow, idiots were giving away the location of arty and useless cowards hiding at the back of the map instead of helping the team.

CmdRatScabies #55 Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38475 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 09 November 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

I could never work out why WG turned it off. If they were going to do it for toxicity then it would only ever reduce it by 50%, and half a solution isn't a solution. If they wanted to actually reduce toxicity then they should have banned all chat apart from platoon chat, and limited communication to the preset commands which are at least translated.

They took a sledgehammer to crack a nut and missed half of the nut.

It was fun at times as well! Especially getting one back on arty that shot you earlier in the game.

I really enjoyed the cross team chat.  I'm better at that than I am at playing the game.  Even if I did drown a couple of times texting whilst driving. :)

TheComfyChair #56 Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8628 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Cross team chat but only alive folks, if you dead you get 20 seconds to say "FU ARTY"  :teethhappy: then only alive folks can comment. Less chance of giving away positions .

uglycousin #57 Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:42 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 47255 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostBordhaw, on 09 November 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

Heh... :)

Homer_J #58 Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31427 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDeadLecter, on 09 November 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

No the advantage of having it turned off does not outweigh the disadvantage so turn it back on again.

View PostJigabachi, on 09 November 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

The two major issues WG used as an excuse to remove cross team chat were insults and players giving away positions.

Insults didn't stop with the removal of the chat, so that argument was and still is nonsense.

Giving away positions happened how often? 

Not very often and it was an option in the in game reporting system.

WG are quite happy to say "use the in game report system" for all kinds of violations, why isn't it good enough for reporting positions?  It's also something very easy to make an automated check for so you can keep the support workload to a minimum.

If someone gets reported did they type a combination of a single letter and a single number in global chat,

yes - file as a valid report

no - did they use global chat if yes refer for manual check.

3 valid reports and you get your cross team chat privilege revoked.

Job done, we can turn cross team chat back on and everyone can be happy.

Edited by Homer_J, 10 November 2018 - 09:22 AM.

Paketeman #59 Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 52677 battles
stop trying to bring back crapthings.....every time you try to fix things on this game the game go worst....stfu please.

Homer_J #60 Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:34 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31427 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPaketeman, on 10 November 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

stop trying to bring back crapthings.....every time you try to fix things on this game the game go worst....stfu please.

So we are trying to reverse one of those times where they tried to fix things and made it worse.  Surely you should support this.

Although I'm not sure a roll back to 0.6.4 would be welcomed by many.

Also tagged with chat, general chat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users